Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Oh cool, I found what seems to be a living wood tree thing in the deep jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I went into a lizahrd temple, got a solar tablet and summoned an eclipse. The enemy variety was pretty much doubled and I'm sure I didn't get all the new stuff, but I did get two kinds of yo-yos, one of which without a modifier had more damage on it than the terra blade.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Has anyone figured out the strange plants stuff for the dye trader yet?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Does anyone know what the 'Key of the Night' does? You can craft it with 15 souls of night.

If you put it in an empty chest it spawns a corrupt mimic, which drops some good poo poo. The things move fast, hit hard, and take a lot of damage. There's also a key of light made from souls of light, which has the same deal. I got a hook from the hallow mimic that was strictly better than the dual hook I had been using.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

According to the wiki the drop from the nymphs is 100%, though I can't verify this because I haven't seen a nymph since before the update.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I guess the wiki is wrong. Now that I think about it I have the achievement too, so I must have seen one since the update.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Found a nymph, the wiki is definitely wrong, the drop rate isn't 100%.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

A word of caution: even if you can remove dungeon bricks you shouldn't demolish the dungeon entrance. I did that on one of my earlier worlds because I wanted blue brick and there's no cultists there, even though I killed the Golem on that world.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

Same. Hell, I make it worse on myself by getting all sorts of materials for building and never doing anything with them. At least 1.3 added a whole lot of furniture and poo poo that would work great for my most ambitious and pretty much only good idea, now I just need to pin down what I actually want to do with the thing.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

Were old worlds purged at some point? Booted this back up after a couple of years and my world was gone.

If you aren't on the same computer then you will have to get the world from the old computer. Save files are kept in users/your name/my documents/my games/terraria, as opposed to being kept in a sane place like with the program files for the game.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

That actually is the sane place. Dumping user data in the program directory has been deprecated for something like 13 years now and has required admin privileges to access since Windows 7.

Shows how little I know about computers then.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Oh goddammit, the expert mode item that doesn't work in non expert mode worlds is the loving sixth accessory slot? gently caress, that makes it almost worthless to me because I'm still playing primarily on my normal worlds.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's just a sky lake, they're for making fishing in the sky easier. I doubt they take up slots for actual islands with loot on them.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

There's only 2 things that can only be caught in the sky and one of them is a quest item.

I didn't say it was a smart decision.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It should work fine, but for whatever reason the slot disappears if you remove the item directly, expert mode or not. So long as you always drop a new accessory on top of your 6th slot one it will never go away.

Nah, it just doesn't show up at all on normal worlds if you don't have an item in it. It will still pop back up empty if you go back to an expert world.

e: Wow, so if you put a social accessory into the sixth slot and go back a normal world the accessory won't display on the character. Normal mode just will not let you do anything with the slot.

Akett fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 3, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Has anyone gotten a tally counter yet? The wiki says that they drop from dungeon enemies, but I've been killing poo poo in dungeons for a while now and have nothing to show for it. It doesn't need to be in a hardmode dungeon does it?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

I've got one but it was in a hardmode dungeon. Doesn't mean it has to be hardmode, just how I got mine.

The materials list for the cell phone are dumb though. Somehow managed to make the Ankh Shield look sane to build by comparison.

I might just pop over to a hardmode dungeon then, this is getting ridiculous. I've even fully searched an expert mode dungeon killing poo poo the whole way and it hasn't dropped.

Honestly I hated the Ankh Shield more because it took ten items with 1 in 300 drop rates to make, whereas there are only like four items that are drops, two of which were already in the game, one admittedly is being a pain for me, and the last is admittedly insane because nymphs are rare as gently caress, but the wiki says it's a 100% drop in expert mode. The only other problem I'm having is that the traveling merchant is being a pain in the rear end about showing up.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

At least you can guarantee one of those quests a day, the traveling merchant will only show up 1 out of five days and you need three loving things from him. I've already gotten the fish finder items from the angler, I still need the stopwatch and the lifeform analyzer because the traveling merchant is an rear end in a top hat.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

oddium posted:

work in progress

the switch on the tree pulls back a grave for fun time skeleton alchemy :unsmigghh:

That's rad as hell. The little hidden area reminds me of my favorite thing I've ever built.

The cave used to be a dumping ground for dirt and cobwebs back before the game had the inventory trash can. After that was added it was pretty much just a little bit of scenery on my way into hell, but then after 1.2 hit I noticed my witch doctor occasionally hanging out in there, so I thought it would make a cool arcane laboratory. I'm kind of trying to think of a way I can put an alchemy table in there without it looking bad, but I haven't come up with anything yet. That goddamn rightmost arcane rune is almost always blank and it's annoying as gently caress. I've tried to keep the cave itself as close to it's original shape as I could, but I've modified it some, the biggest change being my sloping the blocks and digging out the altar area.

Oh yeah, and get a load of my nerd costume.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The thing about containing the crimson, as well as the corruption and I'll just use crimson to refer to both, is that when you go into hardmode it makes a large diagonal pattern on one side of the world with hallow taking up the other side, together making a large V. There's no way to know beforehand which side of the V is going to be taken by the crimson. Furthermore, whenever you smash an altar one random bit of stone in the cavern layer will be converted into crimson.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I guess. If you aren't in Hardmode you really don't have to worry much about the spread of crimson.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

There's been more tenuous connections made on wikis. Honestly surprised there's no crow barred ET reference in there.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

neurotech posted:

What are those purple-gray blocks?

Probably ebonstone brick.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zereth posted:

Anyway, what the gently caress should I be doing now that I beat the Golem? Last time I did anything that was the end, pretty much.

There should be cultists at the entrance to the dungeon, assuming you haven't demolished it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

jetz0r posted:

The main neat things are my super-market style automated glass doors to keep NPCs from falling into the death pit below the base, while letting me run through without pausing.

Those are pretty drat cool, but I haven't seen NPCs go over platform edges since 1.3 started, even if it's just a 1 tile gap with more platform on the other side. I've even used this to corral them into areas so they will stop falling off loving cliffs making me have to go find them. Still though, a bit of caution works wonders and that will help some in invasions and is cool.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

Does that one work when you take it to a not-expert world?

Nope!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Okay, is there a trick to catching a truffle worm? I just want to fight Fishron and sitting around in a mushroom biome for ages just isn't working.

First off it needs to be an underground mushroom biome, second off you should make sure you at least have a lifeform analyzer to help you know if one is around. One of those teleport rods that drop from chaos elementals will help immensely because you need to be quick to get a truffle worm, but the things can take a while to drop.

E: Oh yeah, you will want a whole drat lot of mushroom biome. Clentaminating a bunch of the jungle biome will help, but you could alternately make a long rear end group of bridges out of mud to run along so there's room for the worms to spawn.

Akett fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 6, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Nazar's probably the hard part though, it's a rare drop from rare enemies.

The enemies Nazars drop from are not rare. Like at all. I also think Red's upped the drop rate on nazars at some point because I remember spending too much time trying to get nazars when I was making my shield, but in the subsequent times grinding to get holiday goodie bag things I would get three or four every haul.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

They may not spawn as often, but if you are under the water candle effect (i.e. 90% of the dungeon) they will show up often enough that it feels like there's always one on the screen. I'd say they are uncommon at worst, not rare.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wow, so either the terramap thing can only find strange plants as the inventory item after you harvest one and put it in a chest but not the growing plants themselves, or there has only been one goddamn strange plant that has grown on all my worlds since this patch.

Akett fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 6, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's kind of wrong because blinkroot can grow on plain dirt. But it's still a higher chance of them growing, so I think I'll build some dirty skybridges.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Because I'm going to get a Nazar if it kills me

You could just do that in a pre-hardmode dungeon. The flying skulls are way drat more common than the enchanted weapons.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think there was something in the changelog about NPCs not being able to go up or down stairs anymore so they can't get stuck outside their rooms. Which is rather silly.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I really wish players could sit down like NPCs can. It wouldn't even need to have any actual function, I just think it would be cool.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

As always, this base is a WIP.

#1 all time base designing tip:
Never make the same room/building twice.

drat cool base dude!

Man, I always feel like my base is so boring compared to everyone else's bases. Look at the thing.

There's very few things I like about it. I kind of like the rooms I made for the first seven NPCs because I managed to personalize the rooms well before I filled them up with clutter. I kind of like how the buildings in the lower left fit the lay of the land some. I legitimately like my arcane lab I posted earlier though. The noir detective office in the upper right came out better than I expected but I feel like it's still missing something. Everything else is a mess, there were so many drat specialized crafting stations added in 1.2 that I pretty much had to cram them around haphazardly just to have places for them that I have quick enough access to.

You can see the base of my biggest disappointment to the right though, a huge tower made of demonite that manages to be boring despite my using the coolest most interesting brick in the game, lit by the coolest drat torch type in the game. The layout is a boring winding path leading up to a boring Orthanc ripoff at the top because I had no clue what I wanted to do up there. I've also got a golden tower that is mirrored in layout, but that one is even more boring because gold isn't as interesting due to not glowing and there is no lighting half as cool as demon torches.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dareon posted:

1.3 adds rainbow torches. Won't help the boringness of the layout, but gold lit in rainbows is at least a nice thematic mirror of demonite architecture. Add some clouds to the top of the gold tower, some Living Flame (Or yellow and red gemspark, or mystic lavafall) blocks to the bottom of the demon tower, you got a party.

I appreciate the advice, though I don't want the demon tower to look "evil" as much as powerful and "dark," and I don't want the gold tower to look "good" as much as "light." I know it's all very silly. Also any light source I add to the gold tower needs to have a lamp, which limits my options ridiculously.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Strange_Plant posted:

Strange Plants cannot grow within 700ft of each other, or any other dye plant.

Godfuckingdamnit that explains so much it hurts.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dareon posted:

Also it turns out if you do a snapshot of a place you're not really in range of, it fucks up the back walls.

Yeah, and it only ever shows the forest background no matter what biome you build in.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I've not known chlorophyte to spread at all above the cavern layer. Like I've placed chlorophyte farmlets at different places and only the one in the cavern grew at all.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yeah, strange plants are rare not because the chances for them to spawn are low, but because they are too embarrassed to be seen within 350 blocks of any other dye plant, strange or mundane. That might sound reasonable until you realize that you pretty much have to build a farm as high on your map as you can, because a single marigold can block 1/12 of the entire surface of your world from spawning strange plants. The closer to the ground you want your farm the more underground dye plants like orange bloodroot and the green and teal mushrooms will also start to annoy you and those will pop up in places that will pretty much require a map viewer to find, so do yourself a favor if you want the cool dyes and build your farm up in space so you only need to patrol the surface. The plants are as tall as you are, so make sure you have enough room to walk on the dirt. Don't bring a staff of regrowth or plant any grass seeds, that will allow blue berries and yellow marigolds to spawn and you don't want those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

On the one world where I've seen probes I destroyed three before I knew what their deal was, which worked out because they occurred during blood moons and eclipses and poo poo, the fourth one also happened during an event but I let it go without consequence, the final one I just slapped a bit and let leave and no invasion happened. Kind of annoyed because I want to see how bad the invasion is.

Similarly I have been trying to get two more tattered cloth so I can make a goblin battle standard to fight the hardmode goblin invasion, but the loving scouts refuse to spawn. The most progress I've made since the patch has been my killing Duke Fishron a few times netting me a tempest staff and a razorblade typhoon, and my running the pumpkin moon getting me a horseman's blade. Most of the rest of my time has been putting up with strange dye bullshit. I think I'll just get the last few drops I ain't got from Fishron and the pumpkin moon before running the frost moon so I can get the stuff from that before I start the martian and lunar poo poo.