Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

No I'm just having trouble with him on normal mode because I suck. The only thing I'm good at is wasting time making pointless garbage.

Marvelous. :golfclap:

So the Cultists will always spawn as long as they have something to stand on? Even if you tore apart the dungeon floor earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

VineST posted:

i said that as a joke but if they actually added that it'd be pretty neato to be honest

The recipe to make that would be 50 stacks of 999 blocks of dirt. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Solumin posted:

Not CJacobs, but I was going to ask the thread anyway: I've only played ranged characters in all my ~200 hours of Terraria. Are magic and melee worthwhile builds for solo play? I'm thinking about starting a new character soon (once I finish my mansion and defeat the moon lord...) and I was thinking I should try something new.

You can use any build you want, but if you're going the melee route, you basically want to make use of Yoyos. Swords and stuff are usable, but chances are that you'll be face tanking a lot through the bosses.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zereth posted:

However there are "melee" weapons which are actually ranged, like yo-yos or the Light Discs, and many others, in hardmode.

Having a broadsword on hand is still useful for cutting down vines or similar things.

I think this is around the point where swords essentially become ranged weapons and shoot out projectiles. Though if you want to stick with melee, use Yo-yos. They get a lot stronger if you can find the Skeleton Merchant, who sells a Yo-yo glove, which can be used to make a yo-yo bag, which greatly increases the effectiveness of Yo-yos..

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I always enjoy reading about new people playing through Terraria. Just discovering all the stuff in the game is so fun, and with these updates, there's even more stuff to do in the early game to make things much more fun. Man, I these trip reports made me want to start playing the game again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The reign of NPC prisons is over. Now actual houses must be built for them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Apparently they also fixed this exploit:

I don't know if that's better or worse than the NPC prisons. :catstare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wonder if the throwing class they've implemented will eventually get fleshed out. There's absolutely nothing for it when hard mode starts. Also, Summoners really need more options for damage and armor. They don't really have as much as the other 3 playstyles.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Of the Stardust Cell Staff and the Stardust Dragon Staff, which summoning weapon is the better choice?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Elentor posted:

How do you see all those informations under the minimap?

There are accessories that display all that info. All of those can be combined into the PDA and Cell Pheone.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

way to go steve posted:

So I put about a hundred hours into this back in 1.1 and had a pretty good time. I've been thinking about starting up again now that my Stardew playthrough has tapered off, but I have some concerns.

What's up with fishing? I haven't tried it or anything, but the op has a whole bit about setting up auto hotkey to run while you're afk, and that raises some red flags for me. If it's just mindless tedium, would I be missing much by ignoring it completely? I never felt like terraria was lacking in ways to kill time.

Also, how much content is gated behind this expert mode? I tried it a little and poo poo had an overly obnoxious amount of health. Having to hit basic enemies 20 times isn't fun at all to me. I guess I'd have to make multiple worlds in order to check out new stuff for both crimson and corruption anyway. I could split my playing between modes, but I guess I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

If the new content is blocked behind stuff you're better off automating and tedious hp sponges I'd rather just keep my good memories of the game and find something else to do. Does it get better, or do the updates just cater to the hardcore crowd?

Don't do expert mode. Only a few items that drop from bosses are exclusive to it, and most of them aren't that great or just too situational. If you really want them, bring in a more powerful character into an Expert mode world.

Fishing isn't really vital, but it can let you sequence break the game hard.

There's a lot of new stuff that came in 1.2 and 1.3, and only a very small fraction of what was introduced in 1.3 was gated behind expert.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ambaire posted:

steve, there's no real reason why corruption or jungle should block your progress; just make a bow and arrows and get good at sniping bats / eaters out of the air. You can go a long ways with a jungle/tundra wood bow and fire arrows and you have practically infinite ammo, just requires a bit of farming. It's what I did in this expert mode world; managed to survive a couple nights in the open with arrow spam.

I finally got the nerve to take on the Eye of Cthulhu and it got murdered with the space gun + meteor armor, then slaughtered a goblin invasion the next morning. About to try expert Skeletron and see what happens.

Regarding King Slime spawning mechanics, the wiki says 'There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point'. Does this mean if I pave over the desert with a single tile thick grass carpet that it will be a valid spawn point?

Yes, but if you want to challenge him, just make a Slime Crown. The chances of him randomly spawning are really low.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you were talking post-Plantera Dungeon, I would understand. But pre-hardmode dungeon isn't too bad. What's your gear setup?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Moochewmoo posted:

Looking for some PS4 tips now that 1.24 is totally out for us. Magic or Summoner? We just killed WoF and my summoner seems piss weak compared to my ranger buddy. Which of those two will let me keep up with him best and what items do I need?

Magic. Summoner was only introduced as a concept in 1.2. It would get expanded upon and fleshed out into an actual class in 1.3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's the full list of changes.

quote:

Added Bundled Party Balloons
Added Balloon Animal
Added Party Hat
Added Silly Sunflower Vanity
Added Silly Balloon Blocks and Walls
Added Silly Tied Balloons
Added Pigronata
Added Party Center
Added Silly Balloon Machine
Added Streamers
Added Party Present
Added Cog Walls
Added Sandfall Blocks and Walls
Added Snowfall Blocks and Walls
Added Snow Clouds

Nerfed beehive-type bees in expert mode
Significantly reduced count of unnecessary player synchronization calls, which hindered servers with a high player count
Trees now grow with a “poof!” even when visible on a player’s screen
Rain Clouds are now craftable
Clinger Staff can now use platforms as its resting point
Made improvements to chat tags, and they should no longer break over long lines
Town NPCs will TRY to avoid falling into cliffs away from their home area
You can now use the Sort feature with chests
After reaching hardmode, you can choose the type of the world's evil when generating new worlds. If you have already reached hardmode, just load any pre-existing hardmode world and it will activate this feature.

Fixed XNOR being named NXOR
Fixed Title text not refreshing from the language menu's use
Fixed Cooking Pot & Skeleton Lantern (off)'s wrong light display
Fixed weather not updating on server properly (blame framerate fixes)
Fixed Grand Design selling for way too much gold
Fixed Scutlix mount aiming issues
Fixed Stardust & Nebula Wings having 2/3 and 1/3 extra fly time more than intended, respectively.
Fixed crashes related to Ice Rod and Dressers
Fixed cursor showing over an item slot for a frame when closing inventory on gamepad use
Fixed random bad texture loading
Fixed Duck hunt exploit
Fixed Town NPCs spazzing if there's lava underneath them
Fixed Travelling Merchant not being able to attack at night
Fixed Extremely long-timed buffs not updating properly in multiplayer
Fixed Phasesabers in weapon racks creating unbreakable weapon racks (This fix is not retroactive and will not fix old worlds impacted by the issue, we apologize for any inconvenience - we may add retroactive fix in the future)
Fixed Team Platforms not acting as viable doors for housing.
Fixed Ice Rod blocks causing making backwalls invisible
Fixed “On Fire!” bosses not being extinguished by water
Fixed Summoner Emblem not having an updated sprite
Fixed Some configuration settings not saving correctly

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dareon posted:

Ooh, and the next update is on the Underground Desert.

I wonder if that'll also expand on the throwing class that got introduced with 1.3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

All defense really isn't that good anymore. 20 extra armor is not gonna make that much of a difference in Hardmode. That was pretty much just a 1.1 thing. You're honestly better off with more damage, since mobility options are your best form of defense, and there are more of those in the game. And you want to cut down on how long battles tend to last.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 16, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

codo27 posted:

No sir still cant get a look in at Skeletron. Beat the fuckin bee twice and the knees didn't drop, just everything else. The bee gun is pretty cool though. I've played enough Diablo and Dark souls to know the defense stat isn't the be all end all. Should I get rid of the molten armor and just put on whatever I have that adds damage?

Depends. You're in the early game, so sacrificing defense for offense at that point with very few mobility options might not be a good idea. Especially if your main problem is being unable to dodge the attacks. If you haven't done so already, you might want to build an arena on top of the dungeon top help dodge attacks easier.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mobility isn't that important for dealing with EOW, so you don't need an arena there. You kind of did need one in the past, but that was because back then the chasms weren't connected and didn't have the horizontal portions, so not having an arena meant fighting it with little room to move around. The horizontal portions of the chasms are all you really need to deal with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's what I always do, too. I play solo so I always do small worlds.

New question, though: why isn't this valid housing? I'm just trying to get it set up for Truffle.

e: I tried making mushroom walls, but the game won't let me place them for some reason.

That doesn't look like placed dirt walls. Natural dirt walls can't be used as a background (since those kinds determine enemy spawns.) You need to break them first.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H77Zfzy4LWw

1.4 trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

You'd stop on 1x block elevations, it was cruel.

Those dark times were painful to remember.

My goodness, this game really did come a long way, didn't it? Looking at footage of 1.0.0 and such, it looks so primitive compared to what we can do now.