Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The hard mode blood moon is not so bad compared to the pirate invasion! I picked up a mechanical eye from an eye monster and it says it "Summons the twins" so I'm assuming that's the next boss.

The twins are the hard mode equivalent to the eye of cthulu and they're one of the 3 mechanical bosses you have to kill to unlock plantera in the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Solumin posted:

Yup :sweatdrop: only sometimes, if it's something that's complete bs to get (e.g. Krampus Horn Wallpaper, which is only sold during Christmas) or I need several thousand of it. Otherwise I'll get it myself.

Once I have an idea in mind (like a themed room for an NPC), I'll go look on the Terraria wiki for appropriate furnishings and decorations. You can easily see all the furniture, lights, walls, etc. in the game and get a good idea of what will work.

The other secret is paint! While the effect is generally subtle, you can accomplish some pretty neat effects and make it look like you've found exotic new materials. For example, I made one NPC's room look like it was on an alien planet by painting the windows with Negative Paint. I made another NPC's room look a little like an alchemist's workshop by taking Gold Disc Wall and using orange, yellow and green paint to make it look stained by chemicals.

Edit: For home defenses I set up a pit outside each door, which are trapped with pressure plates that trigger spiked ball traps. Then I used a relatively simple circuit to make a small bridge over the pits (and automatically open the door!) so I can easily walk in and out.
I don't recommend this setup -- it's killed many penguins, rabbits and traveling merchants. On the other hand, it works pretty well for killing hardmode mobs at night!

Killing traveling merchants isn't a bug of your setup! It is a feature. Always got to kill him before he leaves, because he doesn't stay in my horrible murder shacks!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Solumin posted:

The problem is probably that you're trying to mine it from the middle. You've got to start at the edge and work your way in, just like Dirt walls. Also, maybe try dynamite?

Edit: Oh, misunderstood what you're getting at. No, the Drill Containment Unit doesn't touch walls, though it'll get everything else. I'd suggest a Spectral Hamaxe for the increased range or, again, dynamite.

Last I checked dynamite doesn't work against dungeon bricks or dungeon walls, so hammering it out is the only way.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Send help; I've been trapped making the Great Terrarian Small World Underground Railroad.

That is literally half of my small world and I still have to paint part of it and finish the background walls. Then off to the other side. :shepicide:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I'm not sure why, but I started a new character in an expert mode world for the hell of it. It was a real shock to see zombies carrying off my gold the first time I died... but I did get extremely lucky by getting sandstorm in a bottle from a pyramid. I followed it up with cloud and blizzard in a bottle and capped it off with flurry boots. Just insane chest rng...

I didn't know that minecart tracks could spawn parallel like this.

Is there any reason not to use life crystals as I find them? I'm not sure what the cutoff point is for goblin army and I want to get a decent equipment set going before I trigger any events. Sitting on 3 right now.

Slime Rain can occur with 140 life and 8 defense (expert has a lower requirement). Goblin Army and Eye of Cthulu require 200 health, but also have other requirements. You must have smashed a Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart for Goblin Invasion to have a chance of occuring. Eye of Cthulu also requires a certain amount of defense and a couple NPCs around.

TLDR: No point in sitting on life crystals.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 30, 2016

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do crates not spawn in hard mode?

They do, but the point is to fish up a ton of them in normal mode and not deal with hard mode enemies. Then when you hit hardmode you can skip straight to the 3rd ore without having to go smash demon altars and progressing the normal way.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is Terraria available anywhere off of steam, that isn't a sketchy third party reseller? I'd like to test the 64-bit tmodloader, and it would be nice if I could make a burner directory just for testing, instead of potentially borking my current steam installation.

You can just copy your Terraria folder somewhere else and put all the 64-bit tmodloader stuff in that folder instead of the one in your steam directory.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

watho posted:

I’m very sure the alchemy table works like it should in the SCI

It does work, I tested it with health potions and did notice when no materials were used.

Also mannequins and item frames having the use at your own risk warning is not fun. I don’t want to do my standard make every armor and put it on mannequins if it is just going’s to vanish.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Cat Mattress, I kept.looking through your mods and I got to a point where I just started downloading without looking because we apparently have the exact same taste in mods!

Trip report edit: I can't tell if my world generation is hung, or if generating a large world with this many mods takes forever, but it's been like 10 minutes.

Edit Edit: It seems to be hung at "Drifting in Asteroids" Any idea which mod that is?

Dunno if it is affecting you, but is Calamity mod the first in your list? If so, some people have been reporting that it hangs on world creation or something if it is the first mod loaded iirc.

Otherwise you can play the disable everything and enable 1 at a time (or the reverse) to try and figure it out.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

I don't know if this has been posted here yet BUUUUTT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEQrTnWTz8

item dupe exploit.

Just from the preview it looks like the standard item frame dupe. Which has been know for a while and used in speed runs.

Other exploits, slime mount on target dummies for invincibility (doesn’t work against calamity mod bosses if you use that mod). You can also use a trick to cast multiple fishing lines, but I don’t remember it off the top of my head because fishing.

Though I did instantly know that it was the new Spiffing Brit video just from the timing.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Section Z posted:

While it's probably going to be a kind of a pain to replace that much water without some form of water creation? (so many buckets)

I accidentally created an oasis biome, so far as my surprise at fishing up an oasis chest from a formerly dry desert shows. And you can too :buddy:

All you need is one bucket, water duplication is pretty easy. Make a U shaped platform out of 5 blocks and hammer down one of the side blocks so that it is half size. When you place water above the half block it will flow to the side into the U shape and down the other side (what you want to fill up). You can instantly pick up the water after placing it down and just repeat until the desired amount of water has been produced. You can also use hammered half blocks in the path of where the water flows to have it duplicate on the way down as well.

This also works for honey and lava, but it slower; especially for honey, because you need to wait for it to flow a little before picking back up.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Memento posted:

Do the rare spawn NPCs just disappear? I've seen "unconscious man" and "bound woman" a couple of times on my Lifeform Analyzer, but every time I've gone to look for them, going backwards and forwards then up and down, they disappear before I can find them. Are they getting killed before I can find them? Do I have the blood of innocent tavernkeeps and stylists on my hands?

I honestly just want to finish off my NPC towns in certain biomes.

They despawn because you have moved out of range of them. Which happens a lot because they will be detected off screen and odds are you’re not going to go directly at them.

Lifeform Analyzer would be so much better if it also gave you a direction.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait what's mana sickness

You do less damage after using mana potions.

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Mana_Sickness

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I could use a few mimic drops, is this just literally a line above a lake? Sub-surface for more Mimics?

It is probably a standard cleared area, so 84 tiles left and right and at least 47 up and down to force spawns on the 1 tile platform. Those #s are the spawn range of mobs in relation to the player.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

watho posted:

the way to doge golem’s lasers is to always be moving in an arch above him. you’re essentially circle strafing him. i find the fireballs to be the big problem since they’re really unpredictable

I just cheese the fireballs by hammering stairs next to walls on either side of my golem arena, so they pass through the wall but can’t return on a bounce.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

quote:

TML v0.11.7.4 is out! Many bugfixes since v0.11.7
Also to clarify the update note: "This update supports Terraria v1.4.0.4 manual installation and GOG." This does NOT mean TML is v1.4 like vanilla, it means it supports installation alongside that vanilla version!

It supports being installed alongside 1.4, not that it actually supports 1.4.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Yesss! Finally got that drat tree woman to tell me world is PURE absolutely PURE ahahahaha

She lies, there is still life left to be purified by fire. Burn it all.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
So there is going to be a Terraria and Don't Starve collab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually own both, but figures that they would stick it to the no-DRM revolution.

https://github.com/tModLoader/tModLoader/wiki/tModLoader-guide-for-players

There is a manual install option for non steam users. Though it appears you still have to install steam for 1.4 mod browsing to work.