Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

My gear currently consists of basically nothing. I have some crappy metal armour and a tungsteen shortsword, that's it. I've been looking for gold to finish a new pickaxe since from memory you need it to break certain blocks. I found a bunch of tungsteen though so I was gonna make a suit out of that and then...I dunno. Keep looking for gold and hope a medusa doesn't come out of nowhere and chain stun me again. Seriously what the gently caress I was just minding my own business and suddenly this snake lady falls from above and turns me into a rock over and over.

I have no idea what my preferred playstyle would be. Petty sure it would be magic since I like ranged attacks but gently caress managing ammo. From memory you don't get any spells until the duneon though so I'm just using what I can.

There are a couple of early spells. In addition to the craftable gem staves, the corruption and crimson both have spells that you can potentially get from smashing orbs.

There's also a staff of sparking that can spawn in surface-level chests, but its damage is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Evil Fluffy posted:

Man, as fun as this is over starbound at times I cannot believe these assholes still do not make autoswing a default function. Is there an easy way to edit the game to make everything autoswing or is the OP's AHK script the most :effort: way to do it effectively?

Fishing is awesome as gently caress too. A couple hours in to a game with friends I managed to fish up the shark pick with 100% pick strength, using a lead rod and some 20-25% strength bait, while we still had copper/lead armor and a couple tungsten picks. Went and broke 2 crimson orbs for more weapons afterwards because this pick is awesome as hell and also does 16 damage so it's my main melee weapon too in normal difficulty.

Autoswing is in the game, but only for some swords. Things like picks and hammers always have autoswing, though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SirSamVimes posted:

So I've got to the stage where I begin preparing for the Wall. Do I want my general "out of mana" weapon to be Molten Fury, Hellwing Bow or the Phoenix Blaster? My ammo options are Meteorite Shot and Hellfire Arrows.

You could also just buy a stack of mana potions from the merchant. Unlike health potions, mana potions have no cooldown and you can just chug them forever. Although it's a pain in the rear end to hit J in the middle of a fight, so you might want to move it to something reachable with the left hand.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You left out the most important thing:

Skip all the early bullshit and just make a metal fishing rod, get a bug net, collect some bait, and go fishing in the Ocean because you can catch a shark pick that is as good as a molten pickaxe, giving you the ability to blow through even crimson/corruption while also doing ~15 damage or so and being autoswing, thus making it a good enough weapon even for some jungle exploration.

There's a fish-that-is-also-a-hammer you can find in the caves that does about 25-30 damage. If you're lucky enough to find that early on, it absolutely crushes most early enemies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Acne Rain posted:

Nope to the first. Yep to the latter (see the wiki)

Pretty sure it should be yep to the first as well. Melee damage gear works on anything that says "melee damage" in its description, whether it's a sword that shoots lasers, a vampiric throwing knife, a yoyo, or anything else.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Senor Candle posted:

I don't really know why you'd expect to be able to do that.

Having autopause off lets you do things like place blocks or furniture from your inventory, without having to move them to your hotbar first. You can also use staffs, potions, etc from your inventory, so the summoning staff that you use once every time you die isn't taking up a valuable hotkey.

e:

RatHat posted:

Is there a limit to how much water can be in a world? Or could you use the bottomless water bucket to completely fill a map with water?

I think there's no limit. I'm pretty sure I remember using an infinite water duplication glitch to fill up a friend's world before.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

symbolic posted:

I don't understand how people can do technical things in this game when I can barely make a dart trap.

Then again I haven't tried to make anything technical beyond said dart trap, so maybe it's easier than it seems.

You need to buy a wrench and some wire from the mechanic. Use the wrench to place wires between your trap and the pressure plate/lever/switch/etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devor posted:

Did you have it favorited? Do you use the auto-store command? If you have a chest with a yo-yo (or any weapon?) and use auto-store, it'll shove other similar items into the chest too.

It only does that if the chest has another Terrarian in it.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 9, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fayez Butts posted:

Finally got around to completing my main base and fighting area. That thing on the right is just there to look cool (for now) and to anchor the right-hand side of the Boss Fighting Zone

Your NPCs are all going to die the first time you fight the Destroyer.

Really, most bosses have some way of killing things behind walls. You don't want your boss arena to be within screen-width of your NPC housing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

To play it safer, would you find just as much ore and other supplies by just digging down and making your own mine as opposed to finding a cave system and following it?

I don't think so, especially if it's early game and your pick takes a while to dig through stone.

It's maybe okay if you have a fast enough pickaxe and spelunker potions to see ores inside the walls, but you're still going to see a lot fewer golden chests and cool loot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

Do peace candles completely override the increased spawning of water candles or the two just cancel each other out? Also can you wire peace candles to a switch to turn them off?

If they're anything like campfires, the buff still works when they're switched off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

30 tiles inside, a torch, a flat object (table, workbench, some other random stuff), a comfort item (like a chair or toilet), a wooden platform or door on the outside of the room.

It needs to be 60 tiles, but that includes the blocks at the borders. So you can do a 5 wide x 12 tall house, which has a 3x10 habitable area, or you can do an 8x8 house with a 7x7 interior, etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Supremezero posted:

:shepicide: This is going to take forever to fill.

My kingdom for an infinite Honey Bucket. I just wanted to make a good sized arena to abuse my Cute Fishron!

You can make a gizmo that infinitely dupes any liquid with a pair of pumps.

Liquids slightly increase in volume whenever they go off a ledge, so if you build a big staircase with an outlet pump at the top and an inlet at the bottom, it'll slowly duplicate itself. Hook that up to a 1 second timer and it'll fill automatically while you go do other stuff in the world.

Oh yeah, and outlet pumps stop working when they're completely immersed. So you can just put the pump at the level you want your honey to reach and it'll automatically stop there.

Here's a picture of my magical self-refilling liquid tanks, although it's possible to make them a lot bigger and prettier:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sworder posted:

Thank to my Legendary Fetid Baghnakhs I was able to kill the Destroyer for the first time ever. Now I just need to survive more than half a second against the one Twin's firebreath.

I used the rod of discord to get out of that, but apparently it's a 1 in 500 drop? I think I got one from my very first chaos elemental.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Also do you want to smash every single altar you can or is there a point where the diminishing returns aren't worth the hassle of spawning more crimson/hallow?

You only really need to smash three. Especially if you have wings, a metal detector, and a few spelunker potions, so you can just float around in hell scanning the ceiling for adamantine/titanium.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

oddium posted:

has this always been one of the subtitles that can roll or did red add it recently to make fun of starbound

I live under a rock, what did sand do to Starbound?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, sand used to do like 15 damage a second at launch.

Plus, cactus was a physical object you could run into and it did damage to you and only you. Just like spikes.

It was more like the thorns in the corruption. It hurt and knocked you back, but you could still walk through it.

It was an incredible pain in the rear end to run through a desert biome without a cobalt shield.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Crimson Harvest posted:

How do you make a pile of coins as a placeable block/furniture thing?

You don't have to craft anything special, the coins themselves are placeable items. Just move them into your hotbar.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I kind of wish the Moon Lord's Expert Mode drop was, instead of a crystal to control gravity, a crystal to control time. Like, maybe it advances time by 12 hours thereby allowing you to turn night into day and vice versa. I could see this being used to get certain events to occur (invasions, solar eclipse, blood moon, meteorites, etc), or the traveling merchant, to skip events if you don't want to deal with them, go right to the next Angler's quest instead of having to wait, advance through the phases of the moon for merchant items/enemies, harvesting certain plants, etc. Of course, to prevent someone from spamming it just give it a cooldown of like 30 seconds or a minute. Maybe something like this would be tricky to program but it seems like that would've been a hell of a lot better than basically an infinite gravitation potion with restrictions. Plus, since the moon is associated with night it's kind of related like with the moon and gravity.

They just need a second sundial that advances time to the next night instead of the next morning.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mzbundifund posted:

So, wizard builds. I've never managed to get one rolling once I hit hard mode, because I don't know how to keep in mana.

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells? In the Olde Days I used to just equip a mana flower and go bananas, but the addition of that stupid mana sickness debuff means that trying that now just ruins your offense down. Is there some critical accessory I don't know about? Am I really expected to find little breathing seconds to stop moving and let the mana regen kick in? With the magic sets terrible defense that sounds like a great way to get butchered. What's the strategy?

It's -25% damage going down to -0% over the next five seconds. It doesn't ruin your offense. Even if it was -100% for the whole duration it would still be better and faster than sitting on your hands and waiting to regen naturally.

Oh yeah, and bind the mana potion hotkey to a less-dumb-than-J key and you won't even need the mana flower.

Mzbundifund posted:

What on earth do you still need light sources for by the time you can kill the Moon Lord?

I think it gives you a permanent Spelunker effect. Seems kind of cool, but even more easily replaced by potion than the gravity globe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

Boy nothing like starting hardmode and getting 3 bloodmoons in a row :shepicide:

I've never played hardmode before. Should I be making drills or picks now?

Drills or picks are exactly the same for mining stuff. It's basically just whichever one you think is cooler, although beware that the drills constantly make loud engine sounds when you're mining.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The differences are definitely pretty minor though.

I would suggest making a cobalt/palladium drill anyways, so you can see whether you like drills or picks more. You'll end up replacing it pretty quickly with the next hardmode metal, so even if you absolutely hate it it's not a big deal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

King Doom posted:

Wait, so this new patch fucks up the use spikes and honey to kill moon lord technique?

Dammit, anyone else know any ways to kill that thing?

You can still use statues to spawn a weak enemy like a slime as a spike replacement. But you'll need summons or a yoyo to hit bosses without killing your slime pal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Butyraceous posted:

Suddenly after this patch light bugs are spawning in mass quantities around my house. I had like 15 in my inventory and just by going back and forth from the sides of my house I ended up with 120 of them in like one minute.

Too bad that they're pointless when you can just get master or journeyman bait out of crates faster than you can use it up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I wish I had crimson so I could cast the Golden Shower spell :(.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Walrus Pete posted:

So what's the most minions you can have without temporary buffs? 8? 9? I'm dreaming of a not-tiny stardust dragon and 4 or so stardust cells as backup.

Of course, I'll have to beat the moon lord a couple of times first :negative:

Cobalt or palladium, whichever your world has, will be a defense upgrade and you can choose what set bonus you get by crafting one of the three different helmets. From there it's mythril (orichalcum) -> adamantite (titanium) -> hallowed. Most people would probably recommend having adamantite or titanium armor for fighting the mech bosses. Especially the Twins, gently caress those guys :argh:

Stardust set brings you to 6, plus the Papyrus Scarab and Pygmy Necklace makes 8. If Papyrus Scarab and Necromantic Scroll stack then you can get 9.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dareon posted:

The fishing things are basically just an as-I-go, every morning I stop hosing my tunnel with Megashark and go fishing. It's sort of a tossup which will happen first, the RNG deciding to spawn a Nymph or giving me a Pocket Guide. Or any of the other accessories, I still don't have fishing line, the earring, or the tackle box.

I could always use an item editor, but I did that for the last bits I was missing for the Ankh Shield. I sort of want to be able to say I farmed the cell phone all on my own.

Also, for the Nazar I'd suggest getting an Endless Ballsack and Megashark, then popping into a non-hardmode expert world and dungeon-diving. If you have wings, Skeletron is almost a non-issue, but you might want to prep by getting the Nurse and Dryad close by. Even with normal musket balls, the Megashark pretty well trivializes the dungeon.

A stardust dragon trivializes the dungeon even more, if you want to put exactly zero effort into killing things. Although it tends to kill all the enemies before they come on screen, so you might not actually see the Nazar drop.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wildtortilla posted:

I just killed the bee queen for the first time, well first few times, I wanted to craft all her gear. I have the armor, helm, grieves, and bee wand. Are there any other options at this point to have more minions? I seem to be capped at three.

You can fish in the underground jungle for Lardfish, which you can use to craft a potion that gives +1 minion for 10 minutes. There's also a furniture item that gives another +1 minion for 10 minutes when you click it, which you can loot from the dungeon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grimman007 posted:

Could I get some screenshots of Destroyer arenas you guys have made, as well as strategies? drat worm keeps killing me...

My arena for every boss (or at least the ones I actually bothered building arenas for) has been just a screen-sized square with horizontal platforms. For the destroyer I crafted the infinitely piercing magic harp and just shot it constantly (at the lowest projectile speed).

Although apparently it's easier to wreck him with holy arrows (which launch infinitely-piercing stars), especially if you use the bow from Hallow mimics.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tyty posted:

I'm gearing up to fight Plantera. I have the shotbow and a daedalus. Is my frozen armor going to be good enough or should I upgrade to chlorophyte?

You could potentially make shroomite armor now, but you need a big mushroom farm to get it in any decent amount of time.

e: Nvm that's right after Planty. The only armor at that tier that you can make before Plantera is the turtle armor, I guess.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Lone Badger posted:

You can get hair dye for that.

What's the easiest backwall to procure in excessive quantities? I think I have been a little overambitious in my latest construction project.

If you have lots of money you can buy grass/flower walls from the Dryad or wallpaper (which counts as a backwall) from the Painter.

You can also farm massive amounts of hay really easily by walking across the surface and swinging a sickle, especially if you have the boots that make plants grow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GodspeedSphere posted:

So let's say I wanted to be truly a douche, and rig some sort of system on the spawn that traps the player inside. How could you go about doing that? Some sort of dynamite rig, maybe actuated walls of a level higher than their pickaxe?

Don't judge me they deserve it.

You can do actuated walls, but the same pressure plate that turns them on will also turn them off again. You can probably make some kind of one-way switch by rigging the pressure plate up to a spawner statue and doing some mechanical wizardry.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Actually, better idea: Hook the pressure plate up to a teleporter and whisk them away to a prison cell elsewhere.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You could also do a "hoik", like this:

The first pressure plate de-actuates the angled blocks. Getting stuck "inside" an angled block will magically shove the player to the side, which is why this works. The second pressure plate is just to actuate them again so it's ready for the next respawn.

The respawn point is right under that stone arrow, so a respawning player will fall into the pit and get shoved into my worthless dirt box. (You probably want to use something harder than dirt).

It has to be below the spawn, since anything that collides with the player when they respawn gets destroyed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Invisible Ted posted:

Any strategies for the lunatic cultist? I've got full beetle armor, and no matter what I do I feel like I just can't loving hit him, he kills me by the time I get him one quarter of the way down.

How are you unable to hit him? He spends most of his time completely still while casting spells.

I guess the whole "flying" thing could be a problem if you used melee weapons other than yoyos, but why would you do that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Verviticus posted:

no, apparently if you harvest stuff on its native soil it gives seeds all the time. i guess i probably can't actually plant on crimtane blocks though

You can convert normal grass to crimson by throwing vicious powder at it, I think.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Most of the solar enemies are so terrible at vertical combat that you can just make a wall, grapple to it, and sit there holding your mouse down with an autoswing weapon forever. The crawltipedes don't care about you when you're next to a block, even if that block is twenty feed in the air.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
re: corruption spreading:
It's pretty slow but it isn't completely ineffectual. There's a lake in the caves right under my house and I have to re-clentaminate it every time I get a "caverns" fishing quest. Just barely enough grows back to make it count as a corruption biome again.

Baron posted:

OK I have a really stupid question; Can you use an item while it's in your inventory, without putting it in your 0-9 items? It seems like you should be able too, but I can't figure out what button to press...

Only if you have autopause turned off so that you can open the inventory without pausing the game.

Acne Rain posted:

Not only is vortex the easiest to cheese, but if you beat it first you can get the phantasm. Load up with holy arrows and now every other pillar goes down in seconds.

Yeah but killing the tower is easy (or at least it was for my yoyo man). The hard part of the pillars is living long enough to rack up 200 kills and bring down the shields.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Akett posted:

That sounds insanely tedious to me, and I have Aspergers. The wiki says meteors won't land within 25 tiles of a chest, so just build empty chests 25 blocks apart so you don't need to make thousands of chests.

I don't imagine placing one every 25 blocks would be any faster than placing one every three blocks as long as you're getting them with an inventory editor.

In fact, placing more chests is probably easier because you can just hold down left click.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

About 3 minutes after killing the wall of flesh for the first time we got a goblin army while all still decked out in pre-hardmode gear. That summoner goblin is a real bastard.

On the bright side, you got one of his cool drops at the point where they're actually relevant.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Section Z posted:

That... probably doesn't work.

All my medusas seen so far have been wandering in the jungle underground. The first Marble Biome I've seen is a smallish thing, with a closed wall on one side, and a 40 tile gap with a two screen drop between it's opening and any jungle surface, and too steep for a Medusa to make it's way up to where I've seen 3/4 of em. When I've actually been IN that chunk of marble biome, no medusas. I guess because then they couldn't try to turn me to stone when they are in dark waters I couldn't see them in ahead of time in the marble biome.

PS: tried sealing it with a quick patchjob of lots of mud. Didn't help.

EDIT: vvv While I doubt they can stone you through the walls, the problem I am saying is that they wouldn't give a poo poo about walls and just probably spawn past said walls and all encasement of any shred of marble or marble wall (if any of them are out of sight) because gently caress you.

Patching up the biome doesn't stop the medusas from spawning, but it will still keep them from wandering into the temple when they spawn outside of it, which is good enough. They shouldn't spawn inside during the boss fight because the player will be too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ice_Mallet posted:

What kind of weapons are useful against the Lunar Cultist? I've been using the Piranha Gun since it just destroyed the Golem, but I think it doesn't always target the real Cultist. Should I at least do the martian madness event first?

Eh, I usually keep 90% of things in my inventory, but I have a single chest I keep like 6 things in.

It's not that hard to do, you just need to cull the feeling like you need to hold onto stuff.

The Eye of Cthulu yoyo (drops from Mothron during solar eclipse) is strong as gently caress, especially if you have a yoyo bag.