Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Got back into playing this dumb fun game back when I heard about the new patch and was struggling pretty hard with a slightly ahead of the gear-curve character vs expert Plantera even with all the buffing potions I could get (aside from potions that require fishing, gently caress that), a well made arena with heart lanterns and campfire. So I decided I'd make a normal world and give it a try there.

I fought all three mechanical bosses at once easily without any danger and murdered the poo poo out of Plantera without even dipping below a quarter health without buff potions and minimal to no arena setup.

Expert mode adds a dumb amount of extra damage and mob health and I'm not sure how I feel about going back to it to try and kill Plantera and the bosses after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medusa are probably the worst enemy they've added to the game since I last played hands down. There is no other enemy that can just end you from offscreen despite being so kitted out nothing can even touch you aside from bosses. You just turn into a rock and smash into the ground with no warning aside from maybe hearing them growl once.

Why no, I haven't had this happen to me a couple of times after buffing up with all my potions to start a fight with Plantera I don't know what you're talking about.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having just picked it up and played it with my usual co-op buddy, Core Keeper can't really be compared to Terraria just due to the sheer difference in development time. That said it's a fun little game that's enjoyable to just zen out and mine in, I'd compare it more to a top down pixel Minecraft than Terraria, with a more focused end goal and world. I can see the complaints for not feeling super rewarded for exploring, what you find is so uneven. Like the X marks where you use a shovel to dig up random bits like seeds, super early game armor occasionally and some ore? You can randomly get a purple necklace that gives you minor health regen so you don't have to slam food down your gullet just to top your health off. Busted? No, but it's a huge QoL thing I would never have expected to get out of the ground like that.

We've only made it as far as the Clay Caves and Tin so far, and the first boss was simple but tough. I can't image beating it without finding one of the rare cave features that dropped an offhand trinket that gave me a dodge, made the fight way more manageable.

Core Keeper is absolutely worth picking up for $12, but you can def still feel the early access vibes in terms of depth.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The accessibility autofire option is literally the best thing they've ever added. Can't believe it took them 10 years.

Been trying out the Don't Dig Up seed for starting in hell and it's pretty cool! They rebalanced the entire game so you can start down there and dig your way up to the surface, kinda excited to see what kind of hellscape the sun is shining over.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I managed to find bombs in pots in cave biomes and a weird surface underground biome?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zereth posted:

Where is this option?

In the General Settings menu (aka the setting menu that opens by default) in the bottom right corner. Should be the last option under the Gameplay column.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

codo27 posted:

Now that I think about it I ought to split it down the middle and do half my gear in +dmg and the other half +crit

Pre-hardmode +crit is generally more valuable, as +dmg doesn't add nearly as much damage as being straight up more likely to crit, or just finding/making better weapons.

Dunno about the math post-hard mode, I'm sure there's a breakpoint where +dmg becomes more competitive.

There's also a slightly more tedious but totally free way to do reforges now with the Shimmering biome. Slight spoilers: If you throw in a combined accessory into Shimmering liquid, after a few seconds it will break apart into its components. You can pick them up again and recraft the combined accessory to reroll the modifier.

It's a little tedious but for more expensive things it can be worth doing to save a huge chunk of cash.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 31, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Baron von Eevl posted:

2) that every altar you destroy causes corruption/crimson to appear randomly somewhere in your world, possibly in the middle of a contained biome

This was removed in Labor Of Love, as mentioned above. I remember it specifically because of seeing it in the patch notes and being genuinely surprised. I want to say they also removed any reason to smash more than three alters other than personal satisfaction, but I'd have to double check that one.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Put together the mining set (mining helmet, miner's shirt, miner's pants) and put it in a load out slot to swap to. Be amazed at how significant a change it feels.

Alternatively I believe it doesn't actually significantly matter to do so anymore, unless you specifically want to keep fishing quests on the slightly less tedious side?

It's been a while though, so grain of salt and all that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Getting NPCs happy is a cluster and you should just look up on the wiki who groups together best so you can buy a pylon in a biome. You never need to enter hard mode to get a pylon as far as I'm aware

Also just jump into hard mode, the only actual prep I'd recommend is digging/blasting out an area that's (I think?) 200x200 so you can set up a ginder of some sort before you deal with hard mode monsters. It's tedious, but saves you an infinite amount of time on the long run. Also much easier to do in normal.

Donkringel posted:

In addition to a mining set digging down, you can now get the mole cart much earlier.

The mole cart digs a 5-6 tile high horizontal path for you and lays iron tracks. It was honestly a lot of fun setting up subways with the cart and makes getting around my map much easier.

I've heard about the mole cart but not gotten to mess with it, sounds really nice.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pro tip: autoswing for all weapons is now an accessibility option you can turn on. You should turn it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

that is kinda surreal and extremely cool.