Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Here's a mostly built airship.

I didn't get to the finer details because I built it on a friend's server and now it's down for a couple weeks while he's on vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anyone else notice the ducks occasionally quacking like a human? I think they snuck that in this patch.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Wraiths seem to forget they can move through blocks quite easily.

I've seen this happen with floaty grosses and those larger wraith things during the solar eclipse, too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They definitely need to put in something that makes teleportation less wire placement intensive. I'd like the game to just place the wire itself after I put down the teleporters, using all the wire I have on me. I don't care how the line is placed or if it crosses other wires, that would be such a huge time saver.

Whatever else they add, I hope they give some in-game reasons to do them. I never do engineering anymore that isn't a stone door or a life/mana statue for my arena.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Katsuma posted:

I honestly had no idea that's what the Blood Moon was supposed to represent until this very moment.

Blood moons throughout history have been seen as bad omens/signs of the apocalypse. I assume that's still the point, but now that I bothered to read what npcs have to say during blood moons, I see the double entendre.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dis astranagant posted:

Apparently 1.3.5 had to be broken up into smaller parts and there's been some hints at a 1.4 expansion with "a form of creative mode" later down the line.

Some business rag interviewed Red and Cenx the other day and apparently a third of Terraria's lifetime sales have been in the last 18 months so they're more than willing to keep putting out updates.

I've been wondering how they can keep pushing out content without charging for it.

I bet that's why they've been sitting on Terraria 2 for so long. No need to sink the ship if it still floats.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think we all knew Otherworld was destined to be poo poo, one way or the other. It was really obvious how weird that first iteration looked and it seems like they still couldn't shake off that weirdness the second time around. Good on Relogic for dropping it.

Meanwhile, still no info on Terraria 2. Makes me wonder how badly Otherworld dragged it down.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't think I could get into Terraria again without friends. Every time I get to the post-wall content single player, I give up at some point because it gets too grindy. Having even one other player makes things go much faster.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't mind breaking up the world into more explicit zones, like how Dragon Quest Builders did it. Having different materials and goals in each chapter made it more interesting.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a humorous lead-in to NPC management, like providing functioning toilets. That toilet clearly isn't hooked up to a sewer line or placed above a pit like an outhouse.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something I wished they did for large worlds (or any multiplayer world really) is allowing multiple npcs with multiple no-spawn bases. Having everyone together in one place is fine but not having the option to spread out feels limited.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's kinda funny how so many people's first playthrough of this game end up going with the "huge chain linked to a floating island" theme.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I also want Terraria 2, if only because a game like this deserves a better engine and easier modding.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Being able to blend biomes from one to another should've been better emphasized in terraria. Keep the ocean water filling hell mechanic and create a new hell ocean biome with unique creatures and items. Have the mushroom biome meet both for a truly bizarre biome, or have the biomes fight with each other over dominance like with the hardmode biomes but more blatant and active. You could even do away with hardmode and just use the blending of biomes as a difficulty curve.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's traditional that any DBZ mod for any game also has to be overpowered.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Wish it was a month sooner so I can really enjoy it during the outbreak, but I'll take it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The hard part of base building is the first couple nights. You just don't have enough NPCs to stop the undead from spawning and have to waste your time waiting until morning.

Once you get over that hump you can go spelunking at night without too much interruption.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Given the first, third and fifth place finishes, I think we can say with certainty both the community and the developers are very horny.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It kind of is a hard act to follow and what they've said about terraria 2 so far doesn't sound like it's going to be revolutionary. Character progression and how you get loot will be different. Infinite biomes is kinda meh, you can already get enough out of large maps or making multiple maps. I don't think anyone's going to care about game lore, especially with the terraria team so used to adding literally whatever they want that looks cool.

I don't really know what I would want out of 2 that I don't get out of the first. More mod friendly at least? Like, maybe a mode where you can make a platformer/metroidvania by disabling building and focus on combat or puzzle solving.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The town thing is a great idea, but now I just want some useless npcs to hang around and fill out these scattershot towns.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Remember when the player character sprites were obviously copied from ff1? You can still see it in the zombie sprites.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'll definitely start a new character and world since my most recent are a few years old.

Doesn't look like my old circle of gaming friends want to host a multiplayer server so I'll probably look for a goon world soon.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I thought journey mode was going to be bunk but it turns out I like collecting things without having to worry about death.

The only hard part is flexing my creative nugget as I try to be biome efficient with my NPCs. There seems to be both a biome preference and a neighbor preference and if I go full biome specific there are going to be a couple neighbor haters.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Whoever created the new dungeon trap is a huge dick.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That torch luck poo poo is dumb and probably stopped me from finding goodies in the ice and desert biome early on. Oddly doesn't seem to effect the dungeon or hell much, I found all the goodies in those.

Also I think there's a meteor in the cavern layer of my map somewhere.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sailor Dave posted:

Edit: Also yeah it seems weird that if Red really doesn't like people using torches where they shouldn't be, why didn't he just make it so that holding shift places the correct biome torch instead of making you shuffle your inventory around whenever you go to a new biome?

Was just about to say this. The solution is so simple, just convert regular torches to their biome specific one as you place them.

I think it says a lot about Red's prickly personality that he would choose to punish most players for not conforming to his aesthetics than finding a more rational and painless solution.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gobblecoque posted:

Dang. Entered hardmode and two of my villages get abandoned from the burst of corruption. :(

I'm glad I didn't tick my offline world into hardmode yet for this reason. I feel like I need to rearrange my villages from their utilitarian boxes into something less prone to hardmode difficulties.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is journey mode research character based? Because maybe we could have a vault map with everything in it so I can drop in and copy things I can't get without grinding a lot/starting new worlds.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Trickyblackjack posted:

I wish bosses had a 100% chance to drop their trophies. Why don't the devs want most people to show off that they beat a boss? What a weird decision.

That's kinda been this whole game's post-release development really. When you add new content on a "is this cool or not" basis, you tend to forget practicality.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Cool trick: Put on some flower/fairy boots, find/carve some flat grassy space in the jungle, walk back and forth cutting down grass for easy jungle grass seeds (they're low drop chance and need 25 for research).

Sadly doesn't work on underground mushroom grass.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I thought seeds had randomly generated loot until I saw these videos. Now to go looking for a few more seeds that have what I need!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad there are other people besides me who are so busy building things, they haven't bothered with hardmode yet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
What was once Red's illogical personal crusade is now a joke boss with a nice reward. This team knows how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I spent a couple hours building and when I was done, found that terraria dumped a bunch of copies of my single player world into my recycle bin. That's kind of weird.

Mill Village posted:

I’m using the wrong torches everywhere and I’m still getting great loot.

Yeah now that you aren't penalized for using the wrong torch I seem to have filled out most of my accessory collection going through the ice and desert biomes again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

Torch luck wasn't even affecting chest loot, just enemy drops iirc.

I think you may have misread, the compass and depth meter were missing from my collection until I did a second pass after the torch change in the ice biome. Also started getting banana splits from the underground desert when I wasn't getting any before.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
uuuugh I just need one more pink petal to research and complete all my dyes, but cacti take forever to grow and a dozen new maps yielded no petals upon creation, there's no reason for this to be so hard to find

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Pre-hardmode bases, with some remnants of my previous utilitarian/commie boxes still around.

Flying aircraft carrier

Floating upside-down evil pyramid

Jungle tree

Water temple

Hourglass on a snow cloud

An eyesore

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can understand not wanting to cheat if it's your first or second time.

If you've sunk 500+ hours before journey mode became available, cheating feels like a relief.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
haha sdmg go brrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zereth posted:

Having multiple planes/worlds in one "world" would be nice. Like, the ability to go to the (blood) moon for example. It'd also help with the way all the biomes are crammed into not quite enough space, which gets real bad if you mod in new biomes.

I was thinking of something like this, but with a bit more of a metroidvania flare. Breaking up the zones presents more interesting opportunities to build things as each zone gets its own biome/block types and story goals. You can also find secrets in older zones once you get the new materials and such. I suppose an overarching zone-contaminating biome can still be a thing, but managing that is more busy work than fun.