Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Melee is completely fine up until you get around to activating hardmode and even then flails can work for a while. Although the best option in the late early-game is to go all out on thrown weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Phoenix Blaster deals more damage but the Minishark is way more ammo effective and you won't get carpal tunnel syndrome from using it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

There are only two types of piercing bullets iirc and one of them is crafted with the latest game ore.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Expert mode is really hard and I can't leave spawn without getting shrek'd.

Is there a trick to Expert Mode?

Also did someone already ask if Small or Medium worlds are better?

The universal armor calculation is changed across the board so everything (including you) get more armor so spike damage gets way more important. The shotgun that the arms dealer sells for instance is amazing during normal early hardmode but useless in expert because the damage reduction that's applied to each pellet is a lot higher.

You have to think more in terms of builds with your equipment, you need a good mixture of offensive, defensive, and mobility accessories.

You also need to grind a bit to get the equipment you need for your build. Expert requires a mix of knowledge of the game, experience with playing the game, and willingness to grind and min-max.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Expert mode is really fun but there's nothing wrong with not liking it. :shobon:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

You can stash your cash in chests, safes and piggybanks if you didn't know that. I have a vague recollection that you can spend money that's in your character's piggybank and maybe safe as well.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Is it the souls of sight that you can make the flamethrower with or am I thinking of fright?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

symbolic posted:

I was so happy that I got the four different Emblems on my first four fights with the Wall of Flesh during this solo run until I remembered that they changed the recipe for the Avenger Emblem. Now you need to defeat the Mechanical Bosses and get the five of each three souls in order to craft it.

Thank you, devs, for making early hardmode even more tedious. :cripes:

How is getting guaranteed drops from bosses you need to defeat to progress more tedious than farming a single boss for 4 items out of a fairly big pool? Especially when that one boss requires farming for fairly rare enemies in order to summon it to begin with.

You do know that each mechanical boss drops like 15-25 souls every time you kill it, right? Even if they only dropped one that would still be less tedious than farming the wall of flesh.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Are there patch notes somewhere?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

JFC just admit that your stupid joke fell flat and go on with your day.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

That's not even the guy that made the joke?

I have problems with name recognition.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wonder how easy they'd be to solo with post Moon Lord gear.

They're way easy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Fishing is a fun little mini game that help you get some additional resources and buff potions.

Rushing for meteorite armor + space gun seems to be the best way of handling pre-hardmode expert worlds until you can get the fossil, molten, or necro armor. No idea how it'll handle against skeletron though, expert skeletron does not play around.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, that was how I did it last time. I keep underestimating the defensive capabilities of the shield bash. You have i-frames during it as well, right?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Stop trying to make that stupid loving term a thing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

You don't take contact damage.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Unless you're trying to do it before defeating skeletron I have no idea why it'd cause such an extreme reaction.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The quests are specifically designed to discourage farming.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The fishing quests only ever give you things to help you with fishing though. The only somewhat practical thing you can get from it is parts of the PDA but it's not like the PDA is actually useful. There is no reason to do the fishing quests if you don't want to.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ali Aces posted:

This is definitely a fair point, and what I was getting at referring to rare drops and rewards being bonuses. But when the best defense of a system is "well you can just ignore it," that doesn't mean it's a good system. As far as the cell phone goes, the main benefit to having the whole thing is decluttering your inventory, but if you think that's not a significant benefit look at the other conversation going on here..

People like the fishing in the game so just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad system. Also, none of the information the PDA gives you is actually useful and inventory space stops being an issue once you put all those items you keep thinking you're going to use in a chest. The only time when I have a hard time with inventory space is in the early game when I keep carrying around a bunch of pianos and weapons that I have no use for.

There's no reason to have more than 2 rows of stuff that you actually use at any given time.

Fake edit: there are one or two parts of the PDA that have situational usefulness but none of them are tied to fishing quests and you don't need any of the other parts for them to work.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

There's a difference between calling a game mechanic bad and calling an item in a game bad.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

By making the enemies have more damage you need to make sure your weapons deal a lot of damage per hit and not just damage per second which makes a lot of previously pointless weapons viable while while only making a few previously viable weapons pointless. Enemies doing increased damage means that you really need to make sure you have a good defense as well as your offense so 4 extra armor can be more important than 4% extra damage. These are not hard concepts to grasp.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Sniper Rifle, Musket, Night's Edge, Uzi, Phoenix Blaster, pretty much all rocket weapons, late game bows, there are more but I can't remember them right now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Unless you're going to have your game on idle at all times when you're not playing, IE a persistent server then you really don't have to worry about corruption spreading. Just make sure to build your base at the center or the very edge of the world.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Xenaero posted:

Anyone know of a way to 'trigger' sandstorms?

I'm assuming that it's what happens when it rains in the desert.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Is the new armor post-hardmode throwing armor?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

that ivy guy posted:

I have over 2000 hours in this game and I'm not sure how

It's a good-rear end game.

(unrelated but I miss your demo av)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Honestly, just setting up banners is the best advice. They are a lot better than you probably think they are.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

An arena is just a flat area with platforms that you can maneuver between with campfires and heart-lanterns set up so you always have one of each on screen. Heart statues are helpful but not necessary. The Destroyer is easily cheesed with a Stormbow, The Twins are usually kited using a gravitational potion so an arena isn't really useful there.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Does the mod pack add more cool rocket weapons? They're my favorites in the game but there's only like 4 of them vanilla.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Yep. It also adds some lower tier (i.e. pre-plantera) rocket launchers, and even adds some equipment and accessories designed for boosting rocket power specifically.

Downloading now!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Lorini posted:

Hmm, don't think I'm ready for the Wall of Flesh after all, thanks for all the tips!!!! Man this game is SO BIG!

This might sound a bit elitist but that is not how I mean it at all. Wall of Flesh is pretty much the end of the tutorial, the way the game opens up and expands after that is pretty absurd. I'm not going to spoil anything because the game loving goes places. Basically, you're in for a ride in the best way possible.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

By the way to clear things up, expert mode is a setting you select on world generation, it a separate thing from hardmode which is what you enter on any world after killing the wall of flesh.

Hardmode is a pretty bad name for what it is at this point since the vast majority of the game takes place post-hardmode, but when i don't think anyone expected the game to evolve past it as much as it did.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The flamethrower is very very good against plantera

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I love calamity mod up until you get past moonlord, I super love how it expands on flamethrowers

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Hope calamity revengence mode has prepared me for master, eater of worlds looked absurd tho

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Black August posted:

Terraria was May 2011... and Minecraft was November 2011. I suppose Minecraft was a thing people knew and played before then back to 2009, but Terraria has always really felt like its own thing, and not just "dig game but 2D"

Nah, Minecraft blew up way before the release and people were definitely comparing terraria to it when it was new. The friend who told me about it described it as “2D Minecraft”

It definitely is its own thing and at 1.3 they’re almost incomparable but people will see extremely superficial similarities in games and act like they’re carbon copies

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah hell is essentially the end of the first act of 3 at this point

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Garfu posted:

Fun fact: that time Blue got in a ton of poo poo for viral marketing on 4chan 8 years ago... that was me.

what more exactly did you do?

e: also what did blue do again because I remember him getting booted but not why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’m honestly okay with that. Terraria is probably my all-time favorite game and while I’d love to see a sequel I don’t really know what could be done with one