Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah the best way to make a sequel to terraria would imo be to do it in the binding of isaac way and just remake the game with a better engine. but also at the same time at this point i wouldn’t be surprised if the engine doesn’t share a single line of code with 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i am barely exaggerating when i say that is probably the thing i’m most excited about in the update. this will make building arenas so much easier

watho
Aug 2, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Does Calamity have more ways to curb corruption spread or should I just find a mod that makes it togglable if I don't want to deal with that in this game?

I'm doing a solo Calamity run and a duo vanilla run with someone who's never played before, and managing the spread in the duo game is enough for me.

iirc calamity corruption spread is always at the post plantera level which is slow but there’s still spread

watho
Aug 2, 2013

im sure if you’re dedicated enough you could use that to stance dance between magic and ranged builds but im just happy to just be able to go on impromptu fishing expeditions :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Devor posted:

Does anyone have a blurb on how to get started with using mods? The OP is a version behind on the link about modding

it’s pretty simple nowadays, dowload tmodloader on steam and subscribe to the mods you want via the workshop

watho
Aug 2, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

What about GOG users?

i’m so sorry :smith:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the metal detector has a 100% drop rate on expert so that’s not particularly weird

watho
Aug 2, 2013

lots of really cool changes but shoutout to

quote:

Lost Girl
- Instead of their spawn rate decreasing in Hardmode, it stays the same the entire game. This means that their Hardmode spawn rate has changed from 1/200 to 1/80
- Base money drop value reduced from 5 to 2 Gold

watho
Aug 2, 2013

don’t you need the picksaw to break them?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

don’t know if something’s been changed or if i’m just a lot better since i last played but i beat master mode skeletron on my first try with no real sweat. also i know it’s been buffed* but i originally wrote off the quad barreled shotgun as a meme weapon but it’s actually pretty bonkers when paired with meteor shot, it’s basically a flak cannon

watho
Aug 2, 2013

carpal tunnel syndrome is not valid game balance

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i love the new flamethrower effect. definitely feels a lot more satisfying and powerful

watho
Aug 2, 2013

even if you cram all the NPCs in a single cell block the happiness penalty for doing so has been blunted to the point where it basically doesn’t matter.

the only thing that truly matters is maxing out the goblin tinkerer’s happiness which is trivial if you just build him a house in the underground with one for the mechanic right next to his. do this and you’ll get the minimum price for reforges.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

wasn’t the extra large world just a tmodloader 64 bit feature? and iirc it wasn’t very stable either

watho
Aug 2, 2013

no the mod loader is required to load mods aside from texture packs and sound replacements

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Kenning posted:

You seem to have a very narrow and idiosyncratic idea of what would make this game fun for you.

:jerkbag:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

literally everyone who plays already has made up their mind in wether they like playing journey mode or not there’s not a single thing that can be accomplished by arguing about it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Zereth posted:

See this is why I want a Terraria 2, there's some really weird/awful stuff under the hood that it'd take "basically just making an entirely new game" to fix.

i mean the engine is a ship of theseus now tho, to be fair. it’s not the case that they’ve just kept stapling more and more stuff onto the same old code, the game is fundamentally a different game than the one that was released.

i’m not saying i wouldn’t want to see a terraria 2 with a brand spanking new engine and some more cohesive visuals, but it’s not a case like payday 2 where the biggest needed changes require a total redo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the one big thing that needs improving in the game is the sound that the rocket launcher makes, especially compared to the extremely cool and chunky sound the grenade launcher makes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’m not at all surprised by the fact that the best selling version of one of the most popular games is the one that’s for a device most people carry around every day instead of a specialized device made specifically for playing games. my mom loves tetris but hasn’t touched a game console since the NES.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mean you don’t need to keep your pickaxe or axe or torches on the hotbar. just hold shift while mousing over the appropriate thing you wanna mine and it will pick the right tool, hold it a bit further away from your character and it will pick a torch, and hold it even further and it will pick glowsticks or a flare gun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

for more general advice, build an arena with at least two levels of platforms spaced apart as far as you can effortlessly reach. specter boots plus cloud in balloon should give you enough height to clear over skeletron and the dash from shield of cthulhu should give you enough horizontal speed to get over or under him without getting hit.

once you’ve killed the hands you want to circle around him constantly. the skulls he shoot out will home but it’s weak homing and as long as you’re constantly moving away from him in both axis’s you should easily avoid them. there’s a certain amount of finesse to it that is hard to convey through text but it’s mostly the same principle as circle strafing.

i assume you’re buffing up but make sure you’re not forgetting well fed or plenty satisfied. also campfires and heart lanterns are pretty painless to get but help a ton to mitigate chip damage. beast statues are a bit more annoying to get but if you’re really struggling it’s worth taking a trip through the desert or try fishing in an oasis for a while to get one. 5 free defense can really make a difference especially in pre-hardmode.

if you’re as prepared as you can be it’s unfortunately just about learning how to dodge the attacks which is frustrating because of how long you have to wait in between attempts but as daunting as it may seem it’s a surmountable challenge. and if all else fails, bees

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Moreau posted:

I also recommend taking the time to get Terraspark Boots and a Bundle of Balloons, as they help immensely

i don’t disagree with this but the counterpoint is that in the time it takes to get these you’d probably get enough attempts in to beat skeleton at least 3 times, statistically speaking

watho
Aug 2, 2013

codo27 posted:

I managed to beat skull face

:hellyeah:

ive said it before but master skeletron is a hell of a roadblock so congrats

codo27 posted:

Now that I think about it I ought to split it down the middle and do half my gear in +dmg and the other half +crit

yeah in order to maximize DPS this is the ideal spread. it gets a little more complicated if you’re going for swords because there’s a melee speed prefix as well and i haven’t done the math on that but it is more fun which matters a lot.

that said movement speed is a decent option and defense helps more that it seems it would

watho
Aug 2, 2013

diminishing returns is still returns! :pseudo:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

onyx blaster very much owns but this go around i ended up without any crimson desert so i had to artificially make one. which is pretty funny considering how much i’ve complained about the opposite before so well played i suppose

watho
Aug 2, 2013

codo27 posted:

Also, tell me I'm not missing some better method of using the extractinator than just holding the mouse button down? Really starts to get old when you've got a stack of 1300 silt

chlorophyte extractinator baybeee

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah it’s not instant but it’s quite a bit faster. that said if you have enough that converting it all takes a significant amount of time you could probably just trash most of it. you’re not gonna get any super rare epic items out of it mostly just ore and money

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i don’t think anything has changed between 1.4.4.1 and 1.4.4.7 except for fairly minor fixes. you can’t really publish hotfix patches on console so i’m assuming they’re waiting for all the hotfixes to be done and compile that into a proper patch for the console versions

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I'm trying to get Auto Select to work but all it seems to want to do is give me torches. Any suggestions?

hold the cursor closer to your character and on a block, or further away for glowsticks/flare gun

Mayveena posted:

Also is doing the Defender emblems/Old One's Army worth the time?

i’ve literally never done it lol

watho
Aug 2, 2013

ice or crystal assassin armor is what i’d use for the mech bosses

watho
Aug 2, 2013

you can get the balloons out of sky crates iirc but honestly the bundle of balloons gets pretty redundant once you can get wings. if you can kill one mech boss without it you can get the jetpack which is functionally similar but better

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the easiest early way to get the ocean pylon is with the stylist

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i do love the pylons a lot and they definitely made the game better, but there’s a part of me that misses making a cross-world subway tunnel

watho
Aug 2, 2013

for what it’s worth i enjoy the neat pictures

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the only real options i see are hosting a dedicated server or just playing on a separate world and bringing those resources to the main world

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Calamity trip report: I really dig some of the new toys but not so wild about how it hands you shortcuts for a lot of the early/mid-game key items. I guess it wants the player to be able to tackle tough fights right from the start (and some of the vanilla bosses are a lot more challenging), but I'm a carebear who enjoys spending hours building pretty houses in between looking for a metal detector or whatever, so the progression feels totally rushed.

i mostly agree, but it should also be noted that what's the mid-game in vanilla is still very much the early game in calamity, and many things that are the end of massive crafting trees in vanilla keep being iterated on throughout the game. like terraspark boots and the ankh shield. also my latest vanilla playthrough never got a high test fishing line despite doing way more than 75 fishing quests so i'm not against making the fishing accessories easier to get

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah that's been one of the possible texts in the title screen since i last played which was a decade ago at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it's literally just shout outs notch put in his game when he was still working on it. i think only two of those main menu texts has ever gotten removed since notch stopped working on the game and got himself cancelled. terraria itself has a randomized text element on the window if you play windowed mode iirc and that one can also sometimes say something like "also try: minecraft" as a nod back