Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Three people with bees destroyed expert skeletron. We even made a giant elaborate platform arena that we didn't even need, I don't think we dropped under half health the entire fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Turtle armor set with full defense reforges and a Terra Blade made expert Plantera my bitch. I switched to a death sickle to take care of the arms on arms on arms, but otherwise it was no sweat. Onto the temple!

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Xenaero posted:

drat the solar weapons don't seem really great. Shoulda saved the fragments for something else.

Solar weapons are fantastic with a melee armor set. You can use both extensively on the moon lord, and the solar eruption is great for killing stuff on the other side of a wall (or 10 walls).

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm hitting the same wall that I always do in Hardmode, that being the mechanical bosses. I have full adamantite, Godly Amrok and Godly Poison Staff. The best ranged weapon I have is a boomstick with explosive rounds, and even with a quickly constructed arena of wood platforms I cannot for the life of me defeat the Destroyer, which seems to be the easiest hardmode boss. I've seriously never successfully beaten a hardmode boss in an embarrassing amount of playtime. Anything I'm missing here?

I recommend that you farm hollow mimics for a daedalus bow. You can farm souls of light in any number of ways and make 15 of them into a key. Put said key in an empty chest and it'll spawn a hollow mimic on demand. You can also make a mimic farm in the underground hallow if you'd prefer. Then, collect stars to make holy arrows. The resulting hail of stars will let you kill The Destroyer in short order, and works well against most hardmode bosses.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Nuebot posted:

I really wish I could turn off events. Finally get the wizard to move back into my hard mode world. As I'm running towards him to buy some music boxes, blood moon rises and a wraith floats through the walls and murder him.

EDIT: and it segues right into a solar eclipse. This kind of stops being fun after 10+ of these things in short order. Sometimes I just want to do what I wanted to do, game.

If you store your NPCs sufficiently off the ground (20 tiles or so, with open air left and right of about the same), they won't die to wraiths.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Lasher posted:

As much asI love my lava moat, yeah, gets me gently caress all loot.

Finally defeated the mechanical bosses. Feels like I can genuinely start building my base now.

Lava doesn't need to be deep to deal damage to enemies. You can use one bucket for like a 20-tile long area, and it'll persist and damage anything that falls inside. If you then create an actuated "bridge" one tile above where the lava is and connect it to a lever, you can collect your loot from your death pit with ease.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

RatHat posted:

Go through some liquid with Fishron.

Bubble blocks can also suspend water/honey to make boost blocks: http://gfycat.com/IdioticUntimelyCommongonolek

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Anal Surgery posted:

I built an Adamantium Repeater but Skeletron Prime always beats me, even when I do the "fly high and then fall really far" glitch that makes two of his arms disappear. I've been fighting on on a long skybridge. Is there anything else that makes that fight go faster at least?

Farm hollow mimics for a daedelus stormbow, make holy arrows.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Mrit posted:

Fishing is easy, and giving up on 10% damage, 10% crit, and 10% damage reduction is dumb.

And 20% hp max.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Bluhman posted:

Tall gates are such a letdown once you start using them. Though you can augment them by fortifying them on a side with actuated blocks. But that's really if you both need security and if the door in question is being used as the main entryway for your NPCs.

If it's just like a gate you need to the entrance of your settlement or some other outer wall, actuated block doors with switches are just so much more useful than tall gates.

You can just use gray pressure plates on both sides of the door instead of switches. If you space them 3 away and make the door 5 tall, they should be unicorn-running-at-full-tilt compatible.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Cat Mattress posted:

Angel, Demon, and Fairy wings are generally the faster to grind for, because pixies will bury you alive in pixie dust as soon as you step in a hallow,

You can kill pixies and unicorns with a pretty simple little hut. All you need a few dart traps, and a geyser really speeds things up. This lets you gather components for greater healing potions, holy arrows and the meteor staff the second you enter hardmode. The new Dungeon Defenders 2 content makes this even easier, if you can grab a ballista or fireball rod before you enter hardmode. You can purchase hollow seeds from the dryad the moment you enter hardmode if you don't have a suitable above-ground hollow area.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Whats the easiest way to get Souls now? The old 'artifiical meteor biome' trick doesn't work any more.

You can use a massive underground ocean biome by draining an ocean into an underground layer hole (60 blocks deep by 80 blocks wide, about) at about 400 depth so souls of night can spawn. You can make an area above where you stand just above the surface of the water and only water mobs will spawn. If you then include some crimson, hollow or corrupt blocks you can change the biome type to drop souls of light or souls of night. Some summons or advanced traps (flame, geyser, etc) will really help speed along the killing, or if you've got the ring you can use this to farm tons of platinum too with a broken slime staff.

Hollowing out this much area is easiest with bombs or dynamite. It's a pretty big requirement, you'll want to make sure the only eligible places for mobs to spawn are in the water below where you're standing.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Katt posted:

I was thinking more that the ads can get very close before I can shot them down but this all might work well too.

yeah you don't really need to make a platform arena down in hell. lava slimes will drop lava when killed so they'll melt through wood platforms. i usually do an ash or stone platform and knock out one block every screen for lava slime lava to fall through.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a client side only way to make a central player health bar? Or make a floating health bar over the player like other players in multiplayer?

This game is very pretty on an ultrawide but the upper right health bar is very easy to ignore when taking chip damage

client side? you mean, you run it seperate from the host of a server who isn't running it? no clue.

i know the unleveled mod had this functionality, unsure of it's current status with 1.4.2.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

it's not mandatory to collect every item, in fact some people have fun optimizing how to generate and kill enemies and automatically collect their drops. other people have fun fishing. you can beat the game without delving into completionism, especially on lower difficulties.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Qubee posted:

How did people first figure out what to do when Terraria was relatively newish, without a fully fleshed out wiki to help?

they played the game? the first boss spawns more or less automatically. the next boss you should find through exploration and going "huh I wonder what those hearts/orbs are and what I can do about them". then your gear should be good enough to explore all the way to the ocean on either side of the world.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Qubee posted:

No area has enemies that can kill me cause I just cheese them all with my yoyo, or am I not going deep enough? Bees / hornets, those weird lizardmen that gwak at you, the corruption zombies with massive heads and the flying leeches, I curbstomp them all. Only thing that can gently caress me up are the jungle bats because it's so hard to smack them.

underground desert is a right motherfucker. it'll make you eat those words.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

you can mine out that meteor if you have a pickaxe with at least 50% power for some pretty cool armor and gun. there's an accessory you can craft that will make it so that standing on said meteor won't burn you, or just use platforms and patience.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

arena is important for queen bee, you want rows of platforms to easily dodge their left/right dashes, and wide enough that you can still damage them while she's hanging out on the left and right sides pre-dashing.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

kvx687 posted:

I don't think a full arena is really necessary, unless the hive is super small I usually just build two or three layers of platforms and jump between them as needed to avoid the dash, and dropping into the honey for a second whenever the buff gets close to expiring. It also helps to throw in a heart lantern and/or campfire to stack the regen bonus.

What equipment are you running? If you've cleared a meteor or two you should have the resources to build a phaseblade which should easily keep the mini-bees off you, and a magic gun or a minishark with meteor bullets to deal with the queen. The harpoon and spiked balls from the goblin invasion are also pretty good.

full arena is absolutely necessary in master mode

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Katt posted:

I always felt like arenas were a detriment to Terraria. Fighting a boss au naturel vs spending an hour building an arena to completely cheese that boss doesn't make the boss more challenging. It's just more busywork.

But then I don't have any better idea for it. It just looks and feels bad.

Maybe spawning a boss should teleport you into a boss fighting room and then the difficulty of the bosses can be balanced around that rooms design.

half of the benefit of building the arena is also fighting the mobs in that biome to get their drops for your completionism brain-worm, so it's got that going for it.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

there's probably disconnect in terms of what anyone considers to be an arena, so i'll just say that most boss fights will benefit from laying down a few rows of platforms, and depending on the boss and the difficulty, you may want to excavate and include things like honey to dip into, regen aura items, and that statue that gives you defense. some people may encourage building traps as part of an arena as well, but i only find that useful for the events.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Happy Thread posted:

Underground jungle is impervious to corruption.

you've got it backwards. underground jungle is impervious to hallow, corruption/crimson will spread quite well through underground jungle.

biome spread is mostly inconsequential. you can buy tools to fix it later. you can also just craft your own biomes.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

if it's that big of a concern, digging shafts with sticky dynamite or via mining potion+chisel+good pickaxe is there to save you

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

first moon lord strat that worked for me was an asphalt road along the entire top end of the world and kiting. it worked even on master mode, no nurse cheese required.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Qubee posted:

How do I mass produce scarab bombs? I want to have a stock ready for when I start hardmode so I can cut off corruption spread. Farming fossils and getting the ones needed for scarab bombs is a huge chore, can I not just buy them somewhere.

you can buy the bombs from the demolitionist, you just need the fossils to make as many scarab bombs as you like. you can't buy scarab bombs anywhere

it's nearly as fast to just farm up mining potions and a chisel, instead. you can mine 3-tall shafts very quickly with the autocursor and as many mining buffs as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

i am absolutely not worthy enough to do for the worthy on master mode. brain of cthulu took as much prep as most master mode hardmode bosses