Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

meet the ideas halfway, make a halfway-buried beached ship that's partially ruined and converted into a base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Where do images get saved? I can't find where my base shot is.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I need help. Having completely finished the game, the only the task left is to completely cleanse the world in purifying water. Efforts are going slow... I need a better design, a faster design. Yes, Lava would be better but the problem is lava would damage me so I'm going to have to settle for water.

Any ideas on how I could say create 5 or 10 times as much water flow as I have going here? The pumps are stubborn and won't just build on top of eachother. Each new pump network with a reservoir gets me maybe a square of water flow so as I've said it's going pretty slow on my flood the world project. I've sealed off hell as I know water just disappears there. End plan is flood the world to space and then blow up the whole bottom layer and flood everything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Next up: Organize chests, get some better looking decor, make the rooms more thematic for their inhabitants.

From personal experience my main tips for organizing inventories:
1. Use lots of different types of chests for at-glance organizing. Whatever makes sense for you. For instance I put fish and caught animals in a palm chest because it looks like the kind of place you might store fish? Meteor chests for accessories since they look 'special', etc.
2. Use paint on golden chests to make them look radically different. Keep the style but color-code for even more easy reference!
3. Most important tip of all, that I didn't realize until far too late: Name your chests. Giving a chest a custom name makes that name show up when you mouseover it even from far away, so you quickly stop having to open chests to see whcih is which.

Of course, all this became so much easier with the "deposit all to nearby chests" button. What a godsend that was.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
holy poo poo, duke fishron. also, the cult leader. any tips on defeating either of these?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirSamVimes posted:

Click on the folder icon on the camera menu, it takes you right to it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

holy poo poo, duke fishron. also, the cult leader. any tips on defeating either of these?
Keep moving, of course.

It's been a while since I've fought either of them, but if I recall, I used Spectre Hood+Armor, Magnet Sphere, and Razorpine against both and that worked pretty well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
See my thread post history for the two links I gave. Chlorophyte bulletes or Magnet Sphere are good ideas against fishron. You need a homing weapon, he's too fast to aim at.

Razorpine pre supposes that one's able to grind up one of the holiday events, which is tedious to do automated and nearly imposible to do single player especially if you have cannot defeat high tier hardmode bosses.

Cultist's attacks can be learned and by the time you face him you should have decent gear.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Both snapshots and screenshots are saved to /user/My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Captures, which can be accessed using the Open Folder function.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

Razorpine pre supposes that one's able to grind up one of the holiday events, which is tedious to do automated and nearly imposible to do single player especially if you have cannot defeat high tier hardmode bosses.
Magnet Sphere + patience = Reaping the rewards :eng101:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU

Current thread theme song

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

This gives me bad flashbacks to the Home Alone NES game, but otherwise, good.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Just started a new Crimson world and I'm pretty pleased with the startup base I put together.

It's a Base-base! I'm going to be putting up great "pillars" using the Stone Slab Walls to support the castle that will house my NPCs safely above the ground. It's particularly set up so I can access my consumable adventuring supplies like torches and bombs through the roof.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Incorporate some of these into your bases next.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tall_Gate

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Tall gates are such a letdown once you start using them. Though you can augment them by fortifying them on a side with actuated blocks. But that's really if you both need security and if the door in question is being used as the main entryway for your NPCs.

If it's just like a gate you need to the entrance of your settlement or some other outer wall, actuated block doors with switches are just so much more useful than tall gates.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Bluhman posted:

Tall gates are such a letdown once you start using them. Though you can augment them by fortifying them on a side with actuated blocks. But that's really if you both need security and if the door in question is being used as the main entryway for your NPCs.

If it's just like a gate you need to the entrance of your settlement or some other outer wall, actuated block doors with switches are just so much more useful than tall gates.

You can just use gray pressure plates on both sides of the door instead of switches. If you space them 3 away and make the door 5 tall, they should be unicorn-running-at-full-tilt compatible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm gonna miss the infinite house tomorrow.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Blind Sally posted:

Can't help much with Fishron, the only time I beat him was with post-Celestial Pillars equipment and Vampire Knives. I will say that he's much harder, bordering on nigh-impossible, without a good source of flight; get a UFO mount from the martian invasion and he's a lot easier. Also, it's super risky, but if you hang out right at the edge of the ocean biome you can cancel some of his attacks early by triggering his rage state and then backing back into the biome.

For the cult leader, he has an obvious pattern and not many moves. The big thing is to not shoot wildly when he starts to prepare the summoning circle; if you hit a clone, he'll summon a giant wyvern with laser breath, and the clones will stick around and shoot explosive fireballs during the next round. If you hit the cultist instead, it'll cancel both effects. Beyond that, staying under cover helps a lot, his fireballs and lightning bolts can't pass through solid blocks, and the ice bolts fire in predictable patterns that are simple to dodge if you have enough room. Also, he doesn't have a time limit or biome restriction, so if all else fails, just bug out, heal, and keep running until your health ticks back up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

kvx687 posted:

Can't help much with Fishron, the only time I beat him was with post-Celestial Pillars equipment and Vampire Knives. I will say that he's much harder, bordering on nigh-impossible, without a good source of flight; get a UFO mount from the martian invasion and he's a lot easier. Also, it's super risky, but if you hang out right at the edge of the ocean biome you can cancel some of his attacks early by triggering his rage state and then backing back into the biome

Yes, this. UFO mount + speed potion and Fishron won't be able to touch you.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just started hard mode and I feel like I'm back at the beginning of the game again. Mostly working on my base at the moment. Full set of palladium and some orichalcum and admantite saved up but not really enough to bother using yet.

My base is on an island of sorts and I'm building up and out so I can try accessing floating islands so I can fight some wyverns and eventually get some wings. Also going to start building a room for growing crops for alchemy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

symbolic posted:

I was so happy that I got the four different Emblems on my first four fights with the Wall of Flesh during this solo run until I remembered that they changed the recipe for the Avenger Emblem. Now you need to defeat the Mechanical Bosses and get the five of each three souls in order to craft it.

Thank you, devs, for making early hardmode even more tedious. :cripes:

How is getting guaranteed drops from bosses you need to defeat to progress more tedious than farming a single boss for 4 items out of a fairly big pool? Especially when that one boss requires farming for fairly rare enemies in order to summon it to begin with.

You do know that each mechanical boss drops like 15-25 souls every time you kill it, right? Even if they only dropped one that would still be less tedious than farming the wall of flesh.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watho posted:

How is getting guaranteed drops from bosses you need to defeat to progress more tedious than farming a single boss for 4 items out of a fairly big pool? Especially when that one boss requires farming for fairly rare enemies in order to summon it to begin with.

You do know that each mechanical boss drops like 15-25 souls every time you kill it, right? Even if they only dropped one that would still be less tedious than farming the wall of flesh.
Early hardmode is difficult and I am also very very bad at the mechanical bosses. :v:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Vib Rib posted:

From personal experience my main tips for organizing inventories:
1. Use lots of different types of chests for at-glance organizing. Whatever makes sense for you. For instance I put fish and caught animals in a palm chest because it looks like the kind of place you might store fish? Meteor chests for accessories since they look 'special', etc.
2. Use paint on golden chests to make them look radically different. Keep the style but color-code for even more easy reference!
3. Most important tip of all, that I didn't realize until far too late: Name your chests. Giving a chest a custom name makes that name show up when you mouseover it even from far away, so you quickly stop having to open chests to see whcih is which.

Of course, all this became so much easier with the "deposit all to nearby chests" button. What a godsend that was.

Item frames are great for chest organisation - you can hang one above each chest and put a representative item in the frame. This means you can visually pick out swords vs bows vs potions vs etc etc etc....

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's some sort of preview here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6sCT_NU-d8

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Looks like the new patch has gone live, lesse what they added this time.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I can finally bind healing and mana potions to mouse 4 and 5! :holy:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Oh sweet mother of god, all the angling accessories can be combined into one!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Are there patch notes somewhere?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yes: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-mechanics-and-controller-support.43643/

Update isn't up yet on GOG, should hopefully be there in a few hours I suppose; in the meantime it's available on Steam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Medusa is now Hardmode-only.

This will be useful on my next character/world! Thanks Terraria devs! This is looking like a pretty good update so far.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

This will be useful on my next character/world! Thanks Terraria devs! This is looking like a pretty good update so far.

:eyepop: and they buffed the Medusa Head's damage now that it's hardmode only. Seems like ~80 damage base. :getin:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Get all four wrenches, a wire cutter, 60 wire, the weird mechanical orb thing from the Mechanic and a ruler from the Goblin and make The Grand Design. It basically lets you do everything with wires in one slot, and you don't even have to eqiup it.

e; Fixed popular NPC Housing exploit.

It's over

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 22, 2016

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Rest in piece housing glitches

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The reign of NPC prisons is over. Now actual houses must be built for them.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

quote:

Medusa is now Hardmode-only.

drat I should have started this game 3 months later. Medusa single handedly ruined my amazing minecart ride to hell many times over. Every time going down it was a 50/50 chance if I could move fast enough and be lucky enough not to be zapped and instantly killed.

Medusa only stops mattering at about hardmode and by then you'll have the super mechanical minecart and be going 100 mph anyway.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So PC gamepad support is finally released. Edit: I take back what I had here before about it being garbage. It's not THAT bad all things considered, they did a lot of things very right.

Guess I shouldn't complain too much about free updates, but dammit I was really anticipating this.

-Cannot map movement to d-pad. It lets you, but it always turns off smart curser and brings up the crosshair and I see no way to turn that off.
EDIT: NEVER MIND YES THERE IS, the option is "Thumbstick Cursor Snap". I didn't realize that because I was looking for something referring to D-Pad. Hooray!
-Using Smart Cursor and moving in a direction always targets the block *furthest* away from you for Auto Select purposes. Meaning if there's a 1-block-wide wall next to you you can't easily target it to dig through it.
-You can define controls separately for gameplay and menus, which is great, except the menu button descriptions are all just the same descriptions as the gameplay ones ("Use Item", "Interact", etc) so you can't tell what the hell you're mapping to what function. I had to just map every single button to something then see what that button ended up doing to set them up.
-If you screw up the controls trying to make them not retarded, the 'reset to default' button does literally nothing.
-Near as I can tell lock-on targeting is practically random? I cannot get the yellow arrows to show up in any consistent fashion. I only just started so haven't been able to use it much but it doesn't seem to make any drat sense.
-For whatever goddamn reason, sometimes when I open the menu it just continues doing the gameplay functions. I can close and open the menu multiple times and will just keep attacking instead of moving items around. No idea what sets this off. loving frustrating.

In case it saves someone some hassle, here's what I've worked out about the menu button mappings and what they actually correspond to.

Use Item: Take, build 1 when crafting
Interact: Take 1 (pull 1 from stack), build multiple when crafting
Auto Select: Trash
Smart Cursor: Favorite
Quick Mount (wtf): Build (place it in the world, consume items if you try to place them)
Grapple: Quick Craft when crafting

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 27, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The reign of NPC prisons is over. Now actual houses must be built for them.

Good. :colbert:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's not like it's hard to build lots of NPC houses. Walls, roof, table and chair, then use smart cursor to fill in the back wall in seconds. Add a torch and you're done. Personally I really like having excuses to build different structures though, it's always something that felt missing from Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It seems like you can't rename chests (or presumably add text to signs) with the keyboard if you have a controller connected. Adding labels to things now takes closer to 30 seconds instead of 5 seconds. :mad: