Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Verviticus posted:

so are you supposed to do expert with a new character?

legoman727 posted:

Expert is fantastic bullshit and just not worth it.

Two co-op buddies and I are doing it this way (with mediumcore characters even) and it's not THAT bad. It's slow-going for sure, but we haven't seen it ramp so hard we just feel useless. The first night was a hilarious orgy of death but since then it's been relatively fine.

Granted we haven't even gotten to hardmode yet so that may color things a little differently. But it's been fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some trick to finding the skeleton merchant? I want to jump on the yoyo bandwagon but he's pulling a no show.

If you do find him, buy every Spelunker Glowstick you can afford. It's basically an on-demand Spelunker Potion by holding the glowstick out, though if you run out of actual glowsticks and you use the smart cursor stuff, you will end up dropping them in water :(

For how cheap these things are, you should be able to buy a decent sized stack to protect against that for a while at least.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Expert mode is fun if you don't mind dying a lot, if you're playing a medium character who drops all your items, it's just insanity.

Pffft, it's fun to do mediumcore on expert but it helps to have friends for a while so if you die the option of wormhole potioning to your friend when you revive is an option. After a while it's easy enough to run in and grab your stuff and mirror home when you die later.

But be prepared to go very slowly, it's really tough.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the point of playing with that option if you're just gonna work around it though? I like death carrying the penalty of dropping cash since I feel bad dieing but its not tedious as hell trying to get all my gear back.

I don't always work around it. It's just nice early on because once I have a grappling hook I stop being super careful about laying out non-hook-accessible paths because it's just way more efficient. Once I have enough spare stuff for an "oh poo poo" hook and a recall potion, losing my stuff hasn't been a problem.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kanos posted:

There are lots of enemies in hard mode that will confuse you for 30 seconds in one touch, or curse you(no weapon usage at all!) for 10+ seconds in one touch, or break your armor and reduce your defense by approximately a million for like two minutes. Status effects are the most lethal thing in Terraria.

Cursed isn't just no weapon use, it's no item use. Can't mirror home, and I don't think you can potion up either. It really sucks.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Terraria 1.3 - This Old NPC Gulag

You guys are monsters

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Man, the golden key requirement for sky chests was removed in 1.2? Why the heck did I think I needed them still? Like, I found a floating island and even saw the chest inside with no lock on it but it just didn't process. I only found it so I could build my own Sky Lake for Angler fishing quests, but when my multiplayer co-op buddy came to the island he was like "oh what was in the chest?" "We haven't done the Dungeon yet, so I can't check yet?" :doh:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Well at least buckets stack now, that's a big plus.

It does make your liquid generators a bit more interesting though because when you fill a bucket that bucket essentially leaves your inventory and then comes back as a new item. So if you have a stack of 99 empty buckets on hotbar key 9 and then fill one, you now have a stack of 98 empty buckets on hotbar key 9 and then your filled bucket goes into the first empty spot. So if you want to do the infinite liquid trick with rapidly filling/emptying a single bucket you have to drop all but one bucket so that it goes back into the same inventory slot when it gets emptied/filled. Practically not a real problem unless you're doing it in a hostile area, which ... well since I've been fishing like crazy on a single world, I've had to make makeshift lakes in many biomes and so .. I've done the "fill a dozen buckets, empty them, drop all but one, generate more liquid" trick a bit. In retrospect I probably should have literally just made 99+ buckets at base and carried them there but there was a bit of fun in doing that dance.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LightningSquid posted:

Is there anyway to exchange items with other players ingame? Because I just got a second Crimson Key from my farm and I'd love to swap it for a Frost Key. (I also have a spare Jungle Key somewhere.)

You can if you join the same server. Then just drop your item on the ground and they can pick it up (or just chuck it at them :v:) - select the item out of your inventory and just right click it anywhere outside of your inventory to drop it or hit the drop hotkey (I forget what the default key is because I basically never want to hit that hotkey)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

My "advice" ended up backfiring on me because instead of killing the nymph my brother let it run into a bit and despawn. This the second time I've run into a nymph and had it despawn for I could do anything, though I suppose I only have myself to blame.

People weren't kidding about how good fishing is. Just fish with enchanted nightcrawlers and you can easily get the rockfish and reaver shark, both of which are wayyyyy better than the picks and hammers I'd normally be using at this point in the game.

The Reaver Shark is the strongest pre-hardmode pick you can get and yeah the Rockfish carried me through most of pre-Hardmode until I found my Deadly Falcon Blade fishing, and that thing was a straight up beast.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

Shoot water bolts upward every so often until you see/hear some bounce back. Also works with meteor shot or other bouncing projectiles.

Or just shoot regular ammo and listen!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

So, fishing for crates and saving them for hardmode is definitely a good choice at the moment. ~40 crates yielded enough hardmode bars and ore to craft a mythril drill and primary weapon. Then I just bee-lined straight for adamantine with spelunker potions and had a full set within an hour. While doing that, I found a unicorn and bought the clentaminator and hardmode is basically my bitch already. It's nice being able to just tackle the remaining bosses at my leisure now.

Yeah this is what I did as well, ~60 Wooden Crates, ~12 Iron Crates, and ~5 Golden Crates and I had enough Titanium for my own drill and enough Adamantite (:sigh: ) to make a friend of mine a drill for him. By the end of that in-game day we both had full Orichalcum armor.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

So, what new mechanics do the mech bosses have on Expert? I didn't actually notice any.

I've only done The Twins so far but they seem exactly the same. There might have been the whole "more aggression as they're near-death" effect like what the WoF and EoC have but it wasn't super-noticeable.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Seven Force posted:

How would I go about linking an image without table breaking anything? Idk if clicking to enlarge is an SA Last Read specific feature.

Just wrap it in timg tags and it should be fine.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Seven Force posted:

I feel pretty invincible right now.
Oh there's always something in the game that can take this feeling away real quick, just you wait :smug:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

quote:

Fixed Tax Collector not granting money in multiplayer.
I thought this was broken but wasn't sure, glad to know I'm not crazy

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Supremezero posted:

When I'm going 102 mph and trying not to die? Not really.

*pushes back* Nope, no good. *repeats* Oh, now I'm dying.

You can decelerate super gradually, like 1-2mph at a time if you just tap the jet. If he's not hitting you you're not really in any danger yeah?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mediumcore on expert is totally doable if you pace yourself correctly and plan accordingly. Once you get enough material for a grappling hook and a backup one, you're basically good. Especially if you have a mirror or enough stuff to make recall potions. When you die just run to get your stuff, then wall yourself in and re-equip or recall home. If you had a full inventory, rinse and repeat till you get it all.

That said, the goblin invasion not going away over time is indeed bullshit and if there were one thing to do in a mediumcore character essentially permanently it would be that, unless you had friends who could join in to help. That basically happened to one of the guys I played with because he wasn't aware that it didn't go away.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Verviticus posted:

does a higher fishing power return better crates? seems like i basically only get wood ones

Anecdotally yes, though I don't know for sure. But once I got fully kitted out and was using master bait the whole time I see Iron/Golden/Biome Crates semi-regularly instead of "once in 20 fishing trips"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PSA: if you've built stuff on the Dungeon entrance, it may cause the cultists not to appear. Good news is, (re)moving it can fix it!

I had pre-emptively set up a teleporter network which included the dungeon steps as a stop and apparently it was in the spot where the cultists show up so we never saw them. I couldn't figure out why until I moved it out of the way and presto they showed up!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

:dance: Found this baby shortly after starting Hardmode. Did they up the biome key drop rates?

No you just got lucky. Like when I fired up 1.3 and got a Slime Staff in like the first 10 slimes I killed only to then decide with my friends that we'd start up a Mediumcore Expert server, and in the interest of being fair I didn't bring the staff :(

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Well, after 15 new worlds created I'm yet to get a Crimson world. Huh. Also was there a minor patch today?

There was.

Also, pro tip: during world creation if you watch and see "Making the world evil" you got a corruption world. If you see "Making the world bloody" you got a crimson world. Hope that saves some folks some running around in new worlds.

e; oh and apparently also these things according to the wiki:

quote:

- In the PC version, a progress bar is shown while creating a world. Its frame will be green and purple if the world is to contain Corruption, or green and red if it is to contain Crimson.
- Even after world creation you can check if the world is crimson or corruption by checking the color of the tree icon (purple = corrupt, red = crimson) in the world selection screen.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the Dungeon Guardian has a drop now? How are you supposed to kill it?

It's had a drop since 1.2

Never killed it though

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!
Not to be pedantic but that's actually a mount, you can also get pets to go with it! No slime pets on PC though.

quote:

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

Nah unless you go really slow through the games progression, the spread of biomes isn't usually a problem unless you've got your home base really close to corruption or crimson

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah my transcontinental railroad track saw constant use until I could set up teleporter networks. And even then it's been semi useful cheesing the lunar pillars with constant drive bys.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah I've done over 100 angler quests and while at first it can be tedious (though certainly not difficult), once you get decent bait/gear it takes <1 min for each quest every game-day. Most times I now pull the quest fish on the first 2 or 3 pulls.

Now the problem is more biomes spreading and canceling out other biomes I need to fish in :argh: Though I did dungeon-brick in some areas to preserve them.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Flame112 posted:

Fishing blows, I would rather plant an herb and harvest it whenever I want than sit around fishing.

Lots of herbs aren't harvestable/won't bloom except at select times though (eg, deathweed blooms in blood moons, waterleaf blooms during rain, daybloom during the day). Fishing just requires certain biomes but you can do them whenever.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

Removing marble biomes eliminates medusa spawns. That's enough reason right there.

Yeah but smh if you don't just dynamite every marble biome. Too risky to mine gently caress you medusa

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dareon posted:

Yeah, if you get lucky you can shoot ahead without intentionally skipping over parts of the progression. Like, I was running around in cactus armor with silver weapons, and in my cavern exploration I found a minecart track that ended in a nice big cavern in the Underground Jungle, so I wound up getting a jungle yoyo and a piece of Ancient Cobalt armor just from silver bow and flaming arrows, without even having 200 HP yet. Then the skeleton merchant spawned and I got me a counterweight, so my yoyo just absolutely wrecked the Eye when it finally showed up. Next stop: Corruption.

The best progression is:

Fishing > Top-end pre-hardmode gear > More fishing to save up crates > Trigger hardmode > Pop all your crates to get loads of the best ores instantly > ... and then it picks up at the normal place with the mech bosses

:v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

I just need the Sextant and the Fisherman's Pocket Guide for the Cell Phone, but he keeps giving me Weather Radios! :argh:

This was the one piece I never got, my compadre on the server got an extra though. Four sextants, two pocket guides, 6 sponges, 7 bottomless buckets, 5 or 6 fish and mermaid costumes each ...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HellCopter posted:

Nope, nothing. No matter how many worlds I created, I just couldn't find them. I had literally every other part of the Frostspark Boots except for these.

Sailfish you get from crates you get by fishing, I think of it as the sort of failsafe in case the worldgen fucks you like that.

Fishing is OP everybody, you should be doing it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Is there something I can make to put on the walls above the chests to help easier identify what type of mats are in the chest? Like minecraft has a picture frame you can put an item in.

Yup: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Item_Frame

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

1.3.0.7 is just testing Mac and Linux support, apparently.

Clients won't join servers with old versions though :(

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Our 3-player mediumcore expert server (so we hoard a bit more than others)

They're not all full, but many of them are. And even some of the unlabeled ones are full too, like the sword chest is just the first of our melee weapons chests, it extends to the right. Same with the ores/armors/ranged weapons/magic weapons, etc.

e: and they don't all just have that single item in them, there are four chests on the 2nd row with just general accessories

But the Bezoar/Shackle chests are entirely full of just those items

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

I actually really liked the plantera throw hammer that locks onto enemies. It got me to moon Lord.

You mean the Possessed Hatchet? That drops from the Golem but yeah it's really good for when you get it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mune posted:

So I love Terraria and I've played it approximately a million times over the previous few updates, along with several mods.

I just got 1.3 and am going to do a vanilla run, starting from scratch. Any huge tips I should know going into it?

fishing is OP, go run to the ocean and find the little angler kid and do fishing quests everyday and you'll end up with really good poo poo ahead of schedule

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Does he sell it before Hard Mode? I never saw it once until we beat Wall of Flesh, after which it was permanently in his shop.

Counterweight yes, Glove no not until hardmode

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Read posted:

Melee is the best until you're near the end of the game, and even then remains competitive.

Of course, this is because yoyos are melee and are in fact mega-ownage

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Indecisive posted:

I was pretty lucky and got the radio and pocket guide early, but 40 quests later and still no sign of the sextant :( probably gonna beat the moon lord first. Also no infini-bucket or sponge

Not getting any of those three is pretty sad RNG. I got 4 buckets, 6 sponges, and at least 3 guides and sextants and still never got a weather radio. Thankfully another guy on the server got an extra one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

What's the earliest obtainable magic weapon? Is an all magic run (as in, never using melee or ranged even once) feasible?

you can make a staff with gems, but that sounds pretty difficult and maybe super miserable

Technically you could find a Wand of sparking but that thing is garbo