Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tried the cultist stuff but didn't realize it was a serious boss and got destroyed. On my way back with my big boy gear, I ran into a UFO. This triggered the martian invasion.

Spoilers for the martian invasion:

There didn't seem much to it. There are martians on ground that shoot lasers. Some have energy shields. They build tesla coils if you let them. There are tripods which shoot lasers but they get stuck in pits easy and weren't a serious threat to me. There are kamikaze space ships. The big threat is the UFO. It has missiles, lasers, and a gently caress off energy beam out the bottom. When it's low on health it speeds toward you and spams it's energy beam.

Loot was:

Bricks for building martian themed poo poo.
Space suit mask.
UFO mount.
A pickaxe type melee weapon that shoots a distance out like a paladin hammer but stays out so you can hold it and run into stuff I guess.
A gun that shoots a shot that splits into three shots.
A magic gun that shoots lasers and shoots them faster the longer you hold down the attack button.
A magic gun that charges up and shoots a giant energy beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Update on UFO mount:

You can fly and shoot. Goodbye rocket boots, wings, and balloons!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Crawltipedes, the worm enemy during the solar part of the end of the world event, are the dumbest thing ever and I hope they get a balance pass.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ugh the final boss is just so bad. Just really dumb bullet hell in a game that doesn't do bullet hell well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Akett posted:

Has anyone gotten a tally counter yet? The wiki says that they drop from dungeon enemies, but I've been killing poo poo in dungeons for a while now and have nothing to show for it. It doesn't need to be in a hardmode dungeon does it?

I've got one but it was in a hardmode dungeon. Doesn't mean it has to be hardmode, just how I got mine.

The materials list for the cell phone are dumb though. Somehow managed to make the Ankh Shield look sane to build by comparison.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

symbolic posted:

...There's a cell phone now? Does this mean I can browse Instagram in-game or some poo poo?

It combines the functionality of the magic mirror and an item that displays any possible information you could want about your world/enemies.

One of the ingredients is dropped by the nymph.

Happy hunting.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ChibiSoma posted:

For all the quality of life improvements there've been, fishing is still dumb because you have to hunt down bait manually. The Dryad sells acorns so you don't have to wait to get them from trees. I'd fish more and actually do the Angler's quest if he at least sold Worms to use. I'd rather be doing anything than hunting Worms during a rainstorm.

That said, dude at least gave me the Fish Hook for doing my first quest. It might be the dumbest grappling hook in the game and I love it.

Worms aren't that bad. If you make a new world and then just break all the rocks on the surface you'll get tons of worms.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Nezkar posted:

Ok, Im not planning on jumping right back into hard mode for a while, so just tunneling around it should be fine for now?

Before hardmode, the natural crimson/corruption biome doesn't spread.

After hardmode, the natural one starts spreading but also a new section is created opposite a newly created section of hallow.

It's possible to have crimson/corruption on both sides of the map. Planning where it will be before you trigger hard mode is pretty futile.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Crooked Warden posted:

I got burned out on Terraria last time because I though the whole "corruption continuously spreads making GBS threads up your world" thing was a bad mechanic I had no fun engaging with; does 1.3 do anything to change this?

From 1.2, killing hardmode bosses slows the spread and you can buy an item that instantly changes a large portion of any biome into another.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Nuebot posted:

What could you even do to them without absolutely destroying them though?

The glove seems insanely overpowered

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah I did too, battle potion on blood moon eventually helped get it but I got three megaphones and three fast clocks (and THREE blessed apples, and TWO hallowed keys! I'm not exaggerating.) before finally getting the megaphone.

Nazar's probably the hard part though, it's a rare drop from rare enemies. Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway

V All my slots have servicable items in them, lack of knockback and status effects are nice but I prefer extra damage. Besides, it won't stop you from getting stoned from Medusa.

Medusa aside, the Ankh Shield is the best accessory in the game and you are crazy if you think it's not worth it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

If you are on a character that needs the nazar for an ankh shield you could just make a new expert world, and farm one from the pre-hardmode dungeon. Nothing should give you trouble in there and with water candles and battle potions it shouldn't take long at all.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Wyvernil posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why space is at such a premium that people feel the need to shove their NPCs into tiny boxes.

I care less about the NPC mechanics and more about shooting floating cthulus

One of my favorite things with the 1.3 patch has to be the random minecart tracks scattered throughout the world. It's fun to discover them and just zoom around.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Supremezero posted:

"Fixed bug where Phantasm dealt unintentional high damage."

Oh.

Being able to solo the moon lord was an unintentional bug I guess.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I really wish there was a better way to trigger the martian invasion besides "Hope a rare as gently caress enemy shows up maybe possibly"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't worry, as soon as you've gotten what you want from it and the Martian invasion because a nuisance you'd rather not deal with, said enemy will show up over and over and over! :suicide:

Yeah, story of Terraria. Annoying to find if you need it and saturated if you don't.

But yeah the lunar event is balls annoying without a UFO mount.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Acne Rain posted:

I finally beat Duke Fishron

Well I did cheat in a hundred truffle worms so I could have more failed attempts. (Many of which were actually because I forgot to change back from my angler suit or equip the right accessories :sigh:). Duke is a boss in which practice can lead to improvement, and the game actively prevents you from practicing by making his boss fight require a difficult hunt and then a long trek to the end of the world (Built a teleporter to the ocean).

You can set up a truffle worm farm and get tons of worms really easy

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Acne Rain posted:

care to show some designs? I started to do things that way and got bored, but I'm not too great at building farms.

I've got nothing special and I haven't really used it since 1.3 hit, but basically a wide open area with a one block line of mud deep underground. Get glowing mushroom seeds onto it and make an artificial mushroom biome. I would stand under a hole halfway through the line and worms would just crawl along and fall down into my waiting net.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ugh I hate when people in this thread are all "Just fish up X item and use that!"

*fishes for an hour and ends up with 600 bass*

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RatHat posted:

The Depth biomes being last in priority is some bullshit. Why can't they just let the fishing spot count for all the biomes it's in anyway? Like if Hallow has taken over Snow at the Cavern layer you could get Hallow, Snow and Cavern drops from it.

Fishing in every game ever must be terrible. That's a legal requirement.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Million Ghosts posted:

I don't wanna be that guy but Terraria is sorta like Dark Souls. There's a couple bottlenecks you have to do but otherwise you can break sequence hard even if you'll probably get murdered doing so.

Skeletron is like Ornstein and Wall of Flesh is like Smough

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

S.T.C.A. posted:

...you'd have to have a minecart track laid to the teleporter at which case why not just lay the wire, unless there's some way to just use a cart without a track?

I haven't tried but couldn't you lay down minecart track in front of yourself as you travel along it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

VineST posted:

infinite dirt block. 3996 dirt. lets you place lots of dirt

I would do this if it meant any future dirt I mined would never be in my inventory.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Vargs posted:

I see little reason not to keep just about everything. Chests are easy to make. Money is easy to come by, so it's not like you need the trivial amounts of coin you'll get for selling your garbage. If I come up with a cool building idea later on and it turns out I've sold off all of the otherwise worthless blocks I was planning on turning into floors or tables or whatever, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Just because you don't need tin for equipment anymore doesn't mean you'll never want to make tin plated walls.
Sure, you may have no use for that old silver armor, but perhaps the pants look just right with a certain dye that you're using on your lategame armor.
Do I need all of these stacks of dirt? Yeah actually, those came in handy when creating a skybridge/hellbridge/massive mushroom farm.
Somebody pressed the wrong key and accidentally threw away an important item. Good thing we still have all of these materials and can make another one.
Oh, you found out that those lovely shackles from the beginning of the game are used to make a really good magic accessory later on? Glad we held on to a couple.

Might as well just keep it all. All I really end up selling is duplicate trinkets/weapons.

On tonight's episode of Terraria Hoarders...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Counterpoint: Expert mode is for punching yourself in the dick repeatedly and if you are starting out the game and don't know if you will enjoy it why bother?