Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I Killed GBS posted:

You need to read amateur fiction or fanfic then if you want that stuff. It doesn't get published by big companies because they're owned by and pander to men.

Or you could try Mercedes Lackey if you're desperate enough, but I'd go with the fanfic first tbh

Why not read the Mercedes Lackey/Piers Anthony collab, If I Pay Thee Not In Gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

e X posted:

Wow, talk about a product of its time.

George W Bush and Gordon Brown are the heroic leaders of the free world, at least at the start. There's a scene where a succubus tries to seduce Bill Clinton and he blows its head off​ with a shotgun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My memory is hazy. Is this the one where the government installs a puppet Prince of Hell after showing him a documentary about the Manhattan Project to scare the poo poo out of him with what human weapons are actually capable of doing to someplace where the fallout can't possibly spread to Earth?

I thought that bit was genuinely clever.

Mine too but that sounds vaguely familiar.

Thing I remember most clearly about it is that when Hell first starts sending out its messages telling everyone to bow down and accept their new masters, Gordon Brown replies "shut up, Baldrick" and the demons are called Baldricks from then on. Thinking about it makes me cringe so hard my shins are coming out of my heels.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is the main character named Jeb Bush? Am I reading that right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doyle and The Hobbit are readable, Lord of the Rings is not.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's true, there were no good writers from 1881 to 1915.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So. Farewell then

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

See, rich people aren't allowed to want change because they don't know what it's like to be poor, and poor people aren't allowed to want change because they don't know what's good for them, which leaves... Huh..... Guess we'd better not change anything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The middle class, which has historically been pretty consistent in the belief they are the only ones worth a drat. As this thread kind of proves.

The middle class are poor who think they're rich

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Other way around.

Middle class goon detected

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

When I think middle class I think stable white collar jobs with a decent wage, two cars, and a nice house in the suburbs. Not exactly poverty even if they are likely swimming in debt.

A lot of them do like to self identity as working class and pretend like they are oppressed though.

See, I think of it as terribly nervous to do what they think polite society are doing and better their station in life, while "polite society" is more wealthy then they could possibly imagine and spends most nights doing piles of coke and throwing plates at the help. Poor (compared to the rich), but trying to be what they think the rich are.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, well, I think it's spiteful to insist everyone who wants change is too rich to be serious or too poor to not just be selfish, so what do I know

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Segmentation Fox posted:

Forgive me, thread, for I have sinned. I had this thought and pursued it, and now I leave it here.

If Discworld were written by Ernest Cline

* The Disc in all its wonder and weirdness would still be established, but the story would never leave Ankh-Morpork.
* The protagonist would be some common schmuck walking around the city and pointing out all the 'clever' references to modern-day and historic Britain.
* The patrician would be Gordon Ramsay. At least one of his lackeys would be another TV chef like Jamie Oliver.
* The elephants beneath the Disc would be named Churchill, Thatcher, etc. The turtle would be named Elizabeth. The protagonist would take great smug pleasure in pointing out that he possesses the long-lost arcane obscure knowledge about these names.
* The archbishop of UU would be Jeremy Clarkson; the bursar would be James May. Any and all documented activities of the UU staff would be some sort of Top Gear reference.
* The watch would somehow be the antagonists, but like, the early-series, pre-Carrot watch. And they'd probably be replaced by, I dunno, the judges on Britain's Got Talent.

I'd thought of a few more but my head started to hurt and my stomach got all queasy so I had to stop.

just write the fanfiction so we can make fun of it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

drawing one handed

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's an example of it done well in the Archie Sonic comics. There's one character who's had half her limbs turned into robot limbs, and in one story the rest of her starts turning into robot parts too, which means she'll be under the villain's control and all her friends will be in danger. At the end of the story, she wakes up and she's fine, but the point is that we learn this is something she's worrying about all the time. The actual events didn't matter, but we get an insight into what's going on in her head from it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

look if you wanted to talk about excellent literature this probably isn't the thread you're looking for

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

scooby doo and I was no older than 6

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

a comic that looks exactly like the book covers would be ideal

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

The old really ugly ones or the new, good ones?

The old, really good ugly ones.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

who cares about all that, they've got great atmosphere

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cause too much worldbuilding suffocates the story?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dresden files more like dreadful piles

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was pretty tastefully handled and also actually important to the plot and the themes in Noughts and Crosses.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groke posted:

In one memorable case, this resulted in eight seasons' worth of high-budget televised fanfiction.

...that being?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oh yeah right that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Byzantine posted:

What is Thor classified as?

dogshit

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Both Dirk Gently books are good but in very different ways.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Two Owls posted:

Dirk Gently lifts from the never-finished (until it was, 5000 bloody times over, with animation/Tom Baker linking the bits together/ a "webcast" with Paul McGann) Doctor Who episode Shada.

Life, the Universe, and Everything is a repurposed script for a proposed Doctor Who movie.

Specifically it's a mix of Shada and the excellent City of Death. The second one is all original. And more generally, Adams always wrote Ford as basically the Doctor if instead of saving the world, he went to parties to get drunk and meet girls.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

there's actually zero difference between bad and bad things. you illiterate. you loving ignoramus

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The MGS2 novel plays it disappointingly straight, just word for word retells the game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ed Gorman was an indefatigable anthologist of mystery stories who died a few years ago in his eighties. That’s probably a low-budget reprint of some out-of-print anthology put together by him or some other Silent Generation type who didn’t know how to use a computer.

The stories are likely to be inoffensive mystery fluff.

not if you have allergies

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nonathlon posted:

And The Final Dangerous Visions? If you want to go into a rabbit hole, read Christopher Priest's takedown of it.

Could be difficult as it was apparently withdrawn from distribution all over the internet, back when that was still possible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

shelley posted:

There are hard copies available for ridiculous prices, but here is an archived copy of the original essay Priest wrote. (I guess the title was changed later?)

George R.R. Martin posted:

The 1978 volume of my own 'New Voices/Campbell Awards' anthology series
will probably be published some time in 1985, so I don't think I'm the
person to make pronouncements, stern or otherwise, about the lateness of
TLDV. I know all too vividly how easily and how badly these things can get
out of hand. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that the lengthy delay of
TLDV has been a tragedy--a tragedy for readers like myself who have been
looking forward to the book, a tragedy for the field that badly needs a
shot of the sort of literary adrenaline the previous DV volumes have
supplied, a particular tragedy for the writers involved, and especially a
tragedy for Harlan himself. I can only hope that, somehow or other, this
tragedy will turn out to have a happy ending. Despite everything, you
know, I'd still like to read the book, and so would a lot of other people.

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Dabir has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Oct 29, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's not even the worst thing Giles Coren's ever written. The worst thing would probably be the article he wrote for the Times about going on holiday with just his three year old daughter and how it was the "sexiest" holiday he'd ever been on.

E: In trying to find this quote I've learned that he also wrote one where he speculated about her giving blowjobs when she's older.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Nov 1, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There was no reason in hell we needed to know this.

Take it up with him

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ricky Gervais broke into the industry by being Stephen Merchant's friend, which is still a step above Giles Coren because Alan didn't get to choose his son.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah. If you want to learn a bit more about it, here's a good video going through it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Rg8V4g3ak

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If a scene makes you feel like the author is just masturbating furiously, it shouldn't be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All the Tiffany Aching books after the first have a glossary of the Scottish-based slang the Feegles use, just to catch you up. They're written in-universe from the perspective of one of the characters, too.