Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

CommissarMega posted:

I know you're trying to unsell the books here, but as a lover of lovely puns, I think I need these books now.

I probably should not reveal that I know this, but the first book in the Myth Adventures series was long ago adapted as a graphic novel by the dreaded Team Foglio, and you can inspect the peculiar results here:

http://www.airshipentertainment.com/mythcomic.php?date=20100112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

My bad book pick is Wraeththu: The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit by Storm Constantine, with the proviso that she wrote this book very young and has apparently since revised it.

Imagine a post-apocalyptic society of hermaphrodite pseudo-vampires physically based on David Bowie at the height of his long-haired glam-era magnificence (it won't startle anyone that I was in my teens when I decided to read this). Like vampires, the Wraeththu we meet at the start of the book have to reproduce parasitically, by 'turning' humans. Unlike vampires, only young men can be turned. Women and older men are killed by the attempt, as presumably are any young men who are plump or just plain ugly. Once transformed, a 'har' (that's a Wraeththu person) has a life expectancy of about 150 years, does not visibly age, is faster, stronger, and more emotionally stable than a human, and has a greater resistance to disease and poison. There is literally no known downside to joining the Wraeththu, apart from the shampoo bills.

Are they also magical? You bet.

Is their strongest magic powered by sex? What are the odds?

Is is oddly...um...botanical-sounding sex that would have got Charles Darwin's eccentric grandad Erasmus all hot and bothered, involving organs that are somewhere between a show orchid and a sea anemone, and like those things, come in a variety of unusual colours?

I had a pretty high tolerance for not-great books as a teenager, but that did it for me. I simply could not manage to get started on the next book (there are now two trilogies). There is still a smallish but keen fandom for the Wraeththu books online, and a GIS will reveal strange and mildly alarming things.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

These threads always make me want to start writing again, because even though I have maybe a thousand hours of writing to go before I would even submit something to CC for critique, I know I will never be as bad as some of these authors.

My favourite person to think of, when I think I should never attempt to write another word, is Lionel Fanthorpe - author of over 180 sci-fi and fantasy books, 89 of which were produced during three consecutive years. To get up to this astonishing rate, he dictated and recorded his novels whilst lying in bed; the publisher would often send him a schlocky bookcover ripped from an already-published work, and he would concoct a story to fit it. His masterpieces were immediately typed up and published with no plot revision, and barely any proofreading or editing:

http://www.peltorro.com/intro.htm

A benign lunatic dictating from under his bedcovers posted:

She screwed up the securing diagram and was overwhelmed by a sudden desire to clean her teeth. It became the be all and end all of existence for a few seconds. The desire to clean her teeth grew absolutely compulsive, she could have no more resisted it than she could have flown unaided between two planets.

Moving quickly from the radio to her living quarters, she squeezed a little water into a plastic container and put a few dabs of toothpaste on her brush. She slipped the brush into her mouth and pressed the small button in the end which activated its electric motor. The bristles-soft, gentle bristles, guaranteed not to damage the enamel or the gum-moved swiftly against the teeth. She began with the top left molars, worked round to the bicuspids, and came round again from them to the incisors, the canines, the laterals and the centrals. Once she had reached the front of her mouth, she-changed her grip on the brush so that it moved round to the top right, travelling over the bicuspids and molars as it moved. Coming down the sides of her teeth, she paused and took a deep breath, placed a little more paste upon the brush and moved it round again this time beginning with the actual chewing surface of the upper right molars, coming round and cleaning again between the crevices until she had worked round to the left-hand molars.

Once more she put paste on the brush in this same elaborate ritual and concentrated her attention now upon the inside of the upper left molars, the inside of the upper left bicuspids, round across the incisors and so back to the right-hand masticators. She rinsed the brush, reapplied the paste and repeated the whole ritualistic process with the lower teeth. She cleaned the brush very carefully and then, in a set way, put it back and moved back towards the radio set.

She had taken barely a dozen paces when she was assailed by a horrible thought that she had not cleaned the top left inside molars. She stood in an agony of uncertainty for five minutes, then went back to the bathroom area of her living quarters, recharged the brush and carefully cleaned again the top left molars on their inside surfaces. She looked at her reflection in the mirror; it foamed back at her like a rabid dog.
"This time I have done them all," she said. "What about the bottom inside molars?" asked her reflection. "I have done them all," said Marian firmly. "If you have forgotten them the bacteria responsible for dental caries will get in," said the voice in her mind. "It is no good being clean on the outside if you have forgotten the inside. Are you sure you have done the left inside?" "Yes, I have, I have." Marian picked up her toothbrush and flung it savagely across the dome; it bounced from the thick plastic glass and broke on the floor.

This was published, and someone somewhere bought and read it.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

To be fair, it was an old people orgy. That's pretty terrible.

I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYd9I5i1_Ps

Cold Comfort Farm is an excellent book, don't get me wrong. But these lines (in that very voice) run through my head whenever a character beholds something so horripilating that it gives them amnesia or sends them insane.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

H.P. Lovecraft's works must be annoying to read.

Embedded racism is IMO the real criticism of Lovecraft, because, contrary to legend, he often went out of his way to describe essentially indescribable things (though his skills failed him with alien geometry, and eldritch stenches). But with sheer visual or audible weirdness, he would not still be such an appreciated author had he not tried his utmost.

How does the Dunwich Horror (essentially a human/alien hybrid, decades before Giger) look:

The Dunwich Horror posted:

“Bigger’n a barn . . . all made o’ squirmin’ ropes . . . hull thing sort o’ shaped like a hen’s egg bigger’n anything, with dozens o’ legs like hogsheads that haff shut up when they step . . . nothin’ solid abaout it—all like jelly, an’ made o’ sep’rit wrigglin’ ropes pushed clost together . . . great bulgin’ eyes all over it . . . ten or twenty maouths or trunks a-stickin’ aout all along the sides, big as stovepipes, an’ all a-tossin’ an’ openin’ an’ shuttin’ . . . all grey, with kinder blue or purple rings . . . an’ Gawd in heaven—that haff face on top! . . .”

And how does it sound:

The Dunwich Horror posted:

Without warning came those deep, cracked, raucous vocal sounds which will never leave the memory of the stricken group who heard them. Not from any human throat were they born, for the organs of man can yield no such acoustic perversions. Rather would one have said they came from the pit itself, had not their source been so unmistakably the altar-stone on the peak. It is almost erroneous to call them sounds at all, since so much of their ghastly, infra-bass timbre spoke to dim seats of consciousness and terror far subtler than the ear; yet one must do so, since their form was indisputably though vaguely that of half-articulate words. They were loud—loud as the rumblings and the thunder above which they echoed—yet did they come from no visible being. And because imagination might suggest a conjectural source in the world of non-visible beings, the huddled crowd at the mountain’s base huddled still closer, and winced as if in expectation of a blow.

Back to the topic of terrible books, Labyrinth by Kate Mosse makes The da Vinci Code look like it was plotted by Graham Greene.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

BattyKiara posted:

Have romance novels been mentioned yet? I found one in a leave a book/take a book tray that had a master fencer as the protagonst. He had "skin as pale as a the moon, and silver hair to match" and was master fencer even if he was blind. Bcause his super hearing and experience blah-blah-blah. Also a woman with "the kind of coneshaped breast that made seamstresses sigh with delight" and and evil bald man.

White or silver hair on a young character = either an uptight hero who hides under a frosty, ruthless exterior, or a sadist whose doom will be inventively horrible (or maybe both at once, if the author's skill run to that). Their eyes are never a standard shade, there is a high risk they're an aristocrat, they are never fat, short, ugly, clumsy, or stupid, and they have amazing reflexes. But I have a soft spot for them because you can get quite a way with character creation, just by playing reverse Silver Hero bingo.

Here's another silver hero, from a book I bought when I was unwisely toying with the idea of writing historical erotica (I feel that romance/erotica is hardly fair game, since no buyer is after exquisitely-crafted descriptions of throbbing cocks, but it's true that the standard is not high):

Elizabeth Hoyt, NYT Bestselling Author posted:

Infamous for his wild, sensual needs, Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, is searching for a savage killer in St. Giles, London's most notorious slum. Widowed Temperance Dews knows the area like the back of her hand—she cares for its children at the foundling home her family established. Now that home is at risk…

Anyway, at some stage we discover that although the sensual Lazarus has a magnificent head of silver hair, the carpet is in marked contrast to the drapes. He's the pubic equivalent of Alistair Darling, former UK Chancellor of the Exchequer. Once I had this fateful thought, I had trouble finishing the book.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I haven't read the book it is reviewing myself, but this is one of the best book reviews I have ever read, and makes heavy use of excerpts.

Time for the famed Clive James review of 'Princess Daisy' by Judith Krantz: A Blizzard of Tiny Kisses. This is a long review at 3000-ish words, but is so rewarding to read right to the end that I won't post excerpts.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

spite house posted:

He's responsible for it, but doesn't actually write it. Instead he pressgangs desperate up-and-comers into writing it for very little pay. Also it is terrible.

James Frey is just a breathtaking example of human worthlessness.

Beaten to the post. I suspect Frey of being a rogue character from one of Evelyn Waugh's nastier satires, on the loose in the real world.

Frey doesn't put his own name on any of this output AFAIK, not only because it carries a lingering whiff of Tiny Pieces, but because he's not actually writing any of these books himself - just coming up with 'concepts' - and because a pseudonym makes it easy to switch writers mid-series.

It's not uncommon for publishing houses to commission a genre fiction series from an author (The Vampire Diaries was created like this), but Frey's operation is notorious for treating its authors like crap. Readers wanting to express their disapproval of the harsh contract by boycotting his book-packaging company, Full Fathom Five, were hampered by FFF's coyness about actually putting its brand on any of its YA novels.

The backstory to this is 100% Frey: having identified a genre that seems to be selling well, he picks out as many 'bestseller' hooks as possible, and creates a book around them. As far as he's concerned, his rookie mistakes with Tiny Pieces were picking a nonfiction category, and writing the book himself.

http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/69474/

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Visiting Westminister Abbey posted:

Holy Moses! Have a look!
Flesh decayed in every nook!
Some rare bits of brain lie here,
Mortal loads of beef and beer,
Some of whom are turned to dust,
Every one bids lost to lust;
Royal flesh so tinged with 'blue'
Undergoes the same as you.
Famous some were--yet they died;
Poets--Statesmen--Rogues beside,
Kings--Queens, all of them do rot,
What about them? Now--they're not!

Am I alone in thinking this is not exactly 'good', but is at least not bland, and achieves a flippant tone that's clearly deliberate? AFAIK nearly all McKittrick Ros' poetry is in this weird sarcastic style, but there's such a load of ruminating, Gray's Elegy style verse about the vanity of human wishes that it's a fairly fresh approach here.

Parody, But Barely Worse Than The Original posted:

When he killed the Mudjokivis,
Of the skin he made him mittens,
Made them with the fur side inside,
Made them with the skin side outside.
He, to get the warm side inside,
Put the inside skin side outside;
He, to get the cold side outside,
Put the warm side fur side inside.
That ’s why he put the fur side inside,
Why he put the skin side outside,
Why he turned them inside outside.

This floats around the net often unattributed, but my copy of 'Verse and Worse' names the perp as George A. Strong.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Amazing, people with absolutely No Taste.

But seriously, I can see why the length can be a turn-off. What annoyed me was the anti-climactic last 100 pages.

IMO no fantasy novel in the world is as marvellous, nuanced, characterful and imaginative as Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was hyped as being, and at times -- many, many times -- the narrative slows to a stalactite pace. It's a decent and inventive book that would have been hugely better with some crisp editing (and I don't mean the footnotes).

For something that really crashed badly, but was even more ambitious, I nominate Vellum by Hal Duncan, a 2005 fantasy novel with an intended scope that makes JS&MR look like a portrait miniature. It looms up in my mind because it makes most of the errors I fear I'd make myself: it's unfathomably complicated, out-there pretentious, references far too many mythologies, and nearly all the main characters have at least three alter egos, not a few of them Mesopotamian deities.

However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't saddle anyone with a name like Phreedom Messenger or Don Coyote without very good reason. Hal Duncan doesn't have a good reason, and also, the notion of a simple linear narrative is his spittoon. I thought that reading Michael Moorcock meant I could follow any narrative weave, but for the love of me, I couldn't make head or tail of Vellum. It has a sequel, Ink, which I haven't read and never intend to. A sample of Vellum can be found here:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/vellum.htm

(also, anyone who has read Vellum and/or Ink: what is Metatron, really, apart from it's borrowed Jewish name, and what exactly is Cant? Do we ever find out?)

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Cumslut1895 posted:

this is a pretty bad book:

I should read this to my kid, right?

What self-respecting monster can be trounced by the power of filial and maternal love? Some character-building defeat-me-in-graded-installments Harry Potteresque monster, that's what. Like SurreptitiousMuffin said: that's not a proper monster, that's an overzealous life coach.

Give your child the good stuff, well-proven to haunt the reader's nightmares for decades. Give them Struwwelpeter:

http://germanstories.vcu.edu/struwwel/daumen_e.html

So successful was Heinrich Hoffmann as a childrens' author that he was commissioned to write a book of tales involving only girls, to be directly translated for the English-speaking market. The amazing result, Slovenly Betsy, is available complete at Project Gutenberg, illustrated along the following lines (the fate of a girl who loves sweet things too much):

And what happens to crybabies? They literally bawl their eyes out:

And now the poor creature is cautiously crawling
And feeling her way all around;
And now from their sockets her eyeballs are falling;
See, there they are down on the ground.
My children, from such an example take warning,
And happily live while you may;
And say to yourselves, when you rise in the morning,
“I'll try to be cheerful today.”

Be happy, kids!

Amazingly, in his day job Hoffmann was a psychiatrist, who worked in very demanding conditions in a charity hospital, and took a particular interest in schizophrenia (the relapse rate among his schizophrenic patients, about whom he took exhaustive notes, seems to have been unusually low by modern standards, let alone those of his era).

also

From Hillaire Belloc's 'Cautionary Tales for Children: Designed for the admonition of children between eight and fourteen years'

Either Belloc had never met a child between 8 and 14 years, or he had met many, and knew their tastes all too well.

Right, back to the truly terrible books.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Gertrude Perkins posted:

gently caress Vellum. It's 500 pages long but feels like a thousand, Hal Duncan uses four different fonts to designate about nine different timelines/points-of-view, the single gay character is conveniently disappeared halfway through the book, and it features the most over-written Irishman in history. Oh, and the only female character of note is the butt of every mid-00s Edgy As Heck trope at once. It's especially frustrating because there are real nuggets of greatness hidden in the swamp, and it'd be nice to know where it goes in Ink, but I absolutely do not want to read another of these bloated tomes.

I could cope with the cool biker chick who's into Santeria, the fookin' ancient Irishman who looks all of twenty, the blandly evil bureaucrats of Heaven and their personality-wiped minions (enough with these guys forever), and the occasional straight lifting from V for Vendetta.

I could cope with it, because if you realised that your life was a well-integrated, disposable interface for some multiverse entity that had an agenda of its own, and was essentially immortal (but not you! You can die easily) – and that agents were scouring your universe, trying to recruit people like you into one side or another of an allegedly holy war – you might well go on the run, trying your utmost to destroy whatever part of you might be flagging you up as one of these benighted things. The parts of the book that deal with this are actually good, if over-written.

But Duncan spreads them out over hundreds and hundreds of self-indulgent pages of quasi-mythological wankery.

Fook you, Hal Duncan.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have to read these books. It sounds like Gaimans worst excesses, by way of Illuminatus! and written by a man who comma splices every third sentence.

The only line in that sample that didn't have me eye rolling was "It's August 4th, 2017. Sort of."

From a review of Ink: "Here the conflict is reproduced in passages from a host of different books, including a cowboy novel by Joe Campbell, a thriller by R. Graves and of course, inevitably and recursively, Ink by Hal Duncan."

gently caress this guy so much. I love him.

More is available here from Google Books.

I'm bizarrely, sadistically eager to get someone else to read this epic mythological wankfest. Have at it.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Hello, poster from several pages and 3 weeks ago! I believe you are referring to Level 26 by Anthony E. Zuiker, the world's first Digi-Novel! (c). I read the first third of it during a couple lunch breaks, back when I worked at Borders.

In the opening pages, we are informed that the FBI assigns murderers a 'level' between 1 and 25 based on their level of sadistic depravity. Yep. I can't really add anything to that. Does a novel still qualify for this thread if no one expected it to be good in the first place?

I hadn't heard of the book, but I've now read the first few pages, so thank-you for the best laugh I've had for some days. But there is one thing to add - the killer's amazing alias. Perhaps it was his school nickname; no wonder he slays without mercy.

Level 26 by Anthony E. Zuiker posted:

It is well known among law enforcement personnel that murderers can be categorized on a scale of twenty- five levels of evil, from the naive opportunists starting out at Level 1 to the organized, premeditated torture- murderers who inhabit Level 25.

What almost no one knows—except for the elite unnamed investigations group assigned to hunt down the world’s most dangerous killers, a group of men and women accounted for in no official ledger, headed by the brilliant but reluctant operative Steve Dark—is that a new category of killer is in the process of being defined.

Only one man belongs to this group.

His targets: Anyone
His methods:Unlimited
His alias: Sqweegel
His classification: Level 26

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

lenoon posted:

I mean if you're going for the king of all pretentious masturbatory exercises that fall far short of their acolytes expectations, you may as well go for

...The Skull in the Box quartet, a pulp fever dream written by a logorrheic madman from Chicago, and I freely admit I find myself unable to face volume 2. Short-story doses of Harry Stephen Keeler are enough for most (he also has almost Lovecraftian problems with race). But bizarro authors can only dream of being as naturally weird as this man.

http://site.xavier.edu/polt/keeler/story.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3805070

In defence of Keeler, he always attempts to wrap up his unbelievably convoluted plots, and sometimes even succeeds. He also pioneered a curious method of showing the construction of a plot by means of diagrams:

http://spinelessbooks.com/keeler/mechanics/index.html

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is pretty terrible. The mystery is pretty easily solved as it's being introduced, but the main character stumbles around for a few hundred pages not considering the obvious possibility (the "murder victim" is alive and the one continuing the tradition of sending flowers every year). It gets infuriating because he doesn't even consider it and explain why he doesn't consider it a possibility, he just bumbles around investigating and explaining sausage sandwiches and Mac tech specs in great detail. gently caress that book.

Ah, Lisbeth Salander and her Deeply Alternative bisexual hackerpunk autistic-loner lifestyle. Here's Salander, as we first meet her in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; it's hardly the worst book ever, but it certainly has its moments. No-one I've discussed this with -- including some serious Larsson enthusiasts -- has believed that the description can be as dire as this, until they read it again:

Stieg Larsson posted:

Armansky's star researcher was a pale, anorexic young woman who had hair as short as a fuse, and a pierced nose and eyebrows. She had a wasp tattoo about an inch long on her neck, a tattooed loop around the biceps of her left arm and another around her left ankle. On those occasions when she had been wearing a tank top, Armansky also saw that she had a dragon tattoo on her left shoulder blade. She was a natural redhead, but she dyed her hair raven black. She looked as though she had just emerged from a week-long orgy with a gang of hard rockers.

She did not in fact have an eating disorder, Armansky was sure of that. On the contrary, she seemed to consume every kind of junk food. She had simply been born thin, with slender bones that made her look girlish and fine-limbed with small hands, narrow wrists, and childlike breasts. She was twenty-four, but she sometimes looked fourteen.

She had a wide mouth, a small nose, and high cheekbones that gave her an almost Asian look. Her movements were quick and spidery, and when she was working at the computer her fingers flew over the keys. Her extreme slenderness would have made a career in modelling impossible, but with the right make-up her face could have put her on any billboard in the world. Sometimes she wore black lipstick, and in spite of the tattoos and the pierced nose and eyebrows she was... well... attractive. It was inexplicable.

Utterly inexplicable :rolleyes:

At some stage after writing the first book, Larsson must have re-read his early descriptions of Salander, and thought about them a bit more, because by the second book, she's spent some of her hacking cash on breast implants, and had a frankly worrisome holiday fling with a 16-year-old boy (one year over the Swedish age of consent; Salander is about 24 at this stage). I suppose the point was to prove, albeit clumsily, that the appetite of this free spirit is not improbably restricted to cool lesbians and older male journalists, and that she definitely doesn't want to be thought of as physically immature. It doesn't get round the problem that someone who weighs 40kg/88lb is a deadly combatant who repeatedly beats and maims men who are literally twice her size (granted, she's usually armed with something, but I can't recall it ever being anything as odds-levelling as a gun). But most readers seem to love this aspect of Lisbeth, so I'll let it slide.

What I couldn't let slide was that the start of the second book, Salander has become obsessed with a famously elusive mathematical problem; it's no spoiler to reveal that inevitably, it's Fermat's Last Theorem. But spoilers ahead.

And amazingly but inevitably, Lisbeth does indeed manage to come up with the missing proof – not the Andrew Wiles one, but the one that supposedly wouldn't quite fit in the margin.

Upon which, she's almost immediately shot in the head. She survives, but can't remember this sweetest of all proofs, one that had the power to not only make her internationally famous (which is probably pointless to her) but to propel her to a university where she can study all the maths she wants with minds of her own calibre (a possibility she simply must have considered at some stage). Although not particularly taken with Salander, I did feel for her at this point. What a devastating blow; how will she cope?

Answer: Fermat's Last Theorem is never referred to again.

I'm convinced the only reason all this stayed in the books is because of the difficulty of getting someone to revise their work from beyond the grave.

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 3, 2016

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Royal bastard is trained as royal assassin in fantasyland, and is bedevilled by two cartoon villains. Characters are called Shrewd, Verity, Patience, and the like. Hobb wants to write about an everyman teenager who just happens to be a ruthless trained killer. How do you reconcile writing about a teenager who's mostly normal with also writing about a profession that requires ruthlessness and extreme control? You don't. So Hobb hems and haws around the actual business of assassination. The main character recounts stuff like "this noble was a abusive rear end in a top hat, I'm glad I used extra poison on him" instead of something dramatic like a scene of actually loving assassinating someone.

The worst part is that the story is still actually compelling, so I can't just call it mediocre. It's a failure thats worse for its strengths.

As I was reading this I found myself wondering which came first -- this book, or Pyramids by Terry Pratchett, where the main running gag is a royal assassin who likes everything about his profession, apart from the bit about killing people.

(Looking on Wikipedia, Pyramids was published in 1989, AA in 1995. I really thought it would be the other way around.)

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think you accidentally posted this before you got to the part of the book that's terrible, because everything you've said makes it sound awesome.

If you don't mind swapping spaceships for biplanes, have I got the book for you.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Robot Lincoln posted:

I wish I could find a link to a copy of this book but I can't- when I was about 12 I decided that I would read Moby Dick, and found the only copy in our school's library. Unfortunately it was the severely redacted "safe" version of the book, which omitted every religious reference as well as key quotes such as "Call me Ishmael".

Alaois posted:

did it still have the entire chapter dedicated to whale sperm?

IIRC, although technically about spermaceti rather than actual whale jizz, that chapter is called 'A Squeeze of the Hand'.

There is no way that Melville could have done this by accident.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

A while ago, James Frey's A Million Little Pieces came up in this thread and reminded me of another bogus memoir - one with a ridiculous bombastic title - that I'd actually enjoyed because it was so stupid.

Googling 'tiger book christian fake' led me to it in moments. It's 'Taming the Tiger: From the Depths of Hell to the Heights of Glory', by Tony Anthony. I read the first few chapters in a youth hostel on the Pennine Way, where it was the only book available, and when I later saw a copy in a charity shop, I bought it so I could finish the incredible tale.

As a motivational autobiography about a ruthless hardman's Christian conversion, it lacks a certain something, and that something is any basis in fact. As absurd fiction, I highly recommend it. Every time you think it can't get sillier, the author comes up with an action scene to out-Bourne Bourne himself, or decides to do a bit of scene-setting. We're in the Middle East? Beggars instantly sidle up whining 'Baksheesh, baksheesh'. We're in a bar fight, defending the honour of a pretty blonde? Our hero is speedy as a coiling snake, his opponent a thickly-built brute, over six feet tall. I'll say this for Anthony – his style is very consistent.

Here is Anthony, attempting to kill his merciless kung-fu Chinese grandad (aka 'Lowsi') at the age of 6. (Our hero has already been taken to China from the UK as a four-year-old, to be taught the ways of a Shaolin warrior).

Crouching Tiger, Obvious Bull posted:

‘Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name . . . ’ It was a prayer my father had sometimes recited to me at bedtime. He said he was Catholic because he was Italian and God loves Catholics. But if ever God existed, he’d obviously forgotten about me now. He had no place in my brutal world. Everything about my life in England was becoming nothing more than a hazy, confused memory. I couldn’t even picture my father’s face anymore.

Confucius taught: ‘Peace in the state begins with order in the family . . . The people who love and respect their parents would never dare show hatred and disrespect to others.’ He also spoke of love, virtue and honour as being the highest ideals in society.

I knew much about honour and virtue. These things were beaten, quite literally, into every cell of my young body. But love? What was love? I had never known it. I was an unwanted child, a ‘foreign devil’ who brought nothing but shame and bad fortune to those who were supposed to love me. No wonder then that my 6-year-old heart could be consumed by such hatred. It came easily.

With the cleaver tight in my hand, I let the full weight of my arm fall.

Then, an almighty force, like a rushing tornado. In a flash, Lowsi’s left hand sprang and grabbed the arm in which I held the weapon. Twisting it up my back, he seized me by the neck with his right hand, throwing me to the floor. It was a move that I would learn and use myself in the years ahead. This ‘dim lo’ technique is designed to immobilise an attacker in an instant. It is derived from a similar sister move called the ‘dim mak’. Had my grandfather used this, he would have killed me.

Lowsi’s fingers dug deep into my neck, cramming my head to the floor. I gasped for air but would have welcomed the peace of death. Looking back now, I might have detected a half smile on his face as his piercing eyes bored into mine. Perhaps this is what he had been longing for: a demonstration that, somewhere among the filthy foreign blood, there was enough Soo family spirit to secure the treasured legacy of the Shaolin fighters. All I knew then was the full weight of his anger and abhorrent hatred towards me. Dragging me by the hair, he pulled me out of the house, ripping off my clothes whilst screaming into my face that the lesson he was about to teach me would be like no other.

It was. I was severely beaten, then made to stand naked in the icy torrents of the river. It was one of winter’s coldest nights and after several hours of pain I could remember no more. I awoke in hospital, suffering from hypothermia, with injuries that had taken me to death’s door.

After that incident, something hardened deep in my spirit. I truly resigned myself to Lowsi’s will. I was like a horse, finally broken and in submission to my master. I would become like him. I would earn his respect by being able to fight him as an equal. I became strong, focused and determined.

Remarkably, it took a few years for people to start seriously questioning if any of this poo poo could actually have happened, even in China. As the Crosswire link describes, Anthony later turned out to be of mainly English and Cypriot descent, and his grandfather was by all accounts a harmless chap who supported his family with laundry work, and never laid the Secret Shaolin Touch of Death on anybody.

The only spoiler of the reader's enjoyment is that, unlike Frey, Anthony actually had been responsible for a fatal car accident, and blended the one undoubted fact -- that he'd run over a cyclist -- into his conversion narrative, whilst also claiming he had no idea he'd actually hit anyone at the time.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

All the Melville talk reminded me of one of my favourite reviews of e-books available on Amazon (of course the book in question claims to be erotica, and of course it's intentionally terrible -- but it's also a CYOA, which makes all the difference in the world):

http://www.richardcobbett.com/codex/quick-trip-sextrap-dungeon/

Richard Cobbett posted:

Whichever of the three paths you take, that’s just Level 1 of the book over. There are four in total, with our hero staggering unproud but erect through such situations as getting horny at the circus, taking a trip to Heaven in the literal as well as figurative sense, reading an abridged version of Moby Dick instead of getting laid, and receiving blank stares at pick-up likes like “Girl, is that a spoon in my pants, ’cause I’m feeling a stir.”

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

font color sea posted:

Why not post the best bit from the review:

Buggered to death by a mutant lion. Sit tibi terra levis. Dear God Almighty.

This amazing read can be mine for £2.52 on Ebay. I'm grievously tempted. But it is wrong. I know it.

Most of it seems cribbed from estimable Roman sources like Suetonius, who was never known to make a single thing up whilst writing Lives of the Twelve Caesars, or the sadly-lost Lives of Famous Whores. For some reason, Roman scuttlebutt often credited wicked people -- men and women alike -- with enviable sexual stamina. The Empress Messalina, wife of Claudius, allegedly won a bonking contest when matched against the foremost prostitute in Rome, so it wouldn't surprise me if the claim that Caligula was able to jack off continuously whilst being carried from street to street and hurling coins to the crowd was from some Roman source (except that he was notoriously stingy, unlike Nero, who was generous with everyone but the aristocracy...and surprisingly popular).

But nothing will ever beat Procopius' take on the Special Striptease of the Byzantine Empress Theodora in The Secret History:

quote:

Often, even in the theatre, in the sight of all the people, she removed her costume and stood nude in their midst, except for a girdle about the groin: not that she was abashed at revealing that, too, to the audience, but because there was a law against appearing altogether naked on the stage, without at least this much of a fig-leaf. Covered thus with a ribbon, she would sink down to the stage floor and recline on her back. Slaves to whom the duty was entrusted would then scatter grains of barley from above into the calyx of this passion flower, whence geese, trained for the purpose, would next pick the grains one by one with their bills and eat.

Trained for the purpose or not, I don't think Procopius had ever looked very closely at a goose:

Both Twelve Caesars and The Secret History are fine books, btw. Accuracy be damned. Who claims that the Emperor Justinian's head could not detach from his body and float about at whim? Were you there?

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

From Maestra by L.S. Hilton, widely hyped as starring a female version of Tom Ripley, art heists, and lashings of violence and sex. Technically it delivers on the last 3, but anyone hoping for Thomasina Ripley Under Ground will be disappointed. I was glad I stingily borrowed a copy rather than paid for one, as it was just too badly written to finish, and featured more product placement than Tomorrow Never Dies.

It has a sequel, Domina, which inspired this corking John Crace review:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/02/domina-l-s-hilton-digested-read-erotic-thriller

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's actually an awesome premise. The final battle between Heaven and Hell begins, both sides are still using ancient weaponry, both sides get their asses kicked in with modern tech, and thus mankind proves why they are the favored creations of god, because they're able to grow and innovate and change while demons and angels are immortal and stagnant. There could even be a sequel where demons and angels unite to break free of the iron grip of humanity.

I wish I still wrote. :(

Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens is roughly the bit in bold, but written for laughs. It's one of the few collaborations I've read where the result feels like a successful 50:50 hybrid of each author's style. Not a bad book at all. As always with anything touched by the hand of Pratchett, Hell is a demented bureaucracy...and Heaven is also a demented bureaucracy, but far more condescending.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Arivia posted:

Same book, two different names.

Mort is the one where Death takes an awkward teenager as his apprentice, and also finds out that being an adoptive father is tough. Faust Eric! is definitely the one with a Hell imported directly from The Office. Death is a huge skeletal dork, but his tastes run more to libraries.

A book I personally found terrible is Timoleon Vieta Come Home, by Dan Rhodes. It's not poorly written. It's just terrible.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/147120.Timoleon_Vieta_Come_Home

It’s pretty obvious from the start that sometimes the loyal and good love the unworthy and fickle, and that this will be a tale without a happy ending. I was all set for Lassie Come Home: the grimdark reboot. Bring it.

But I was not prepared for the tone of actual Sadism, as written by de Sade, with regard to the human characters the dog encounters on its journey. In places it reminded me of Justine in its enthusiastic, detached way of describing extreme suffering and casual injustice -- except that de Sade was terrifyingly honest that this was how he got his jollies, and this was arch and smug. Life is poo poo and unfair! Haha. No, it's really true. Seriously, have you ever noticed how incredibly poo poo and unfair life is? And so on, for what seemed like a lot of pages for such a short book.

It wasn’t poorly written - compared to most of the stuff I've read in this thread, it was quality prose, though not very structured - but somehow I really despised it, in a way I’ve despised few other books.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

The Salvation War:

Dabir posted:

George W Bush and Gordon Brown are the heroic leaders of the free world, at least at the start. There's a scene where a succubus tries to seduce Bill Clinton and he blows its head off with a shotgun.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Clinton has a quip immediately before he blows this demon away that the experience of being married to Hillary means that Hell holds no terror for him.

Dabir posted:

Thing I remember most clearly about it is that when Hell first starts sending out its messages telling everyone to bow down and accept their new masters, Gordon Brown replies "shut up, Baldrick" and the demons are called Baldricks from then on. Thinking about it makes me cringe so hard my shins are coming out of my heels.

This sounds astonishing.

Patrick Spens posted:

I clearly need to read this book.

I just want Gordon Brown to read it.

The Salvation War finale begins thus, apparently, posted:

“I, Satan Mekratrig, Lord of Hell, Commander of the Legions of the Damned do hereby declare my dominion over the earth and all that it contains. Crawl to me, humans, knowing the eternity of torment that awaits you.”

“Balls.” Said Lieutenant Michael Wong.

I dunno if this is real or not but if it never won the Bulwer-Lytton Prize, it's a crying shame.

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 23:40 on May 25, 2017

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Brass Key posted:

I'm reminded of this absolutely wonderful typo.

Late reply, but this error is the best thing that OCR has done for the world, and there are many more fine examples:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/may/01/scanner-ebook-arms-anus-optical-character-recognition

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

TBB Secret Santa gift:

PYF terrible book: WE HAVE ARRIVED LADIES AND GENTLEBOTS

Jeffrey Estrella posted:

A strong-willed but often confused single mother of two who is actually an extra-terrestrial with unique abilities and her trusted friends form a heroic endeavour and face off against a powerful law firm with a dark conspiracy dating back to an old war with her kind and they meet the time stone team of Drax, Mercedes and Tina with uplifted James to fight ITOZ the all-powerful darkness and Maggie Wilcox a/k/a the Ice Princess in this fifth and final installation chapter of the Christmas Legend saga.
:eyepop:

Follow-up to 'How Green Was My Valley?' not looking so good:

Also, I recently learned that the fabled Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia volume VI 'Phar - Q - R - Salse' is real, and now I want a copy:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

LIZARD MAN: (MOVES OUT OF THE WAY BACKFLIPPING AND ENGAGED IN ACROBATICS)

Before commencing your gore-filled rampage, please ensure you are wearing period appropriate beachwear clothing.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Awful sex stuff sells, it seems. I guess I was spared most of it because I only read Susan Cooper, Ursula LeGuin, and the first five Eddingses as a kid. (Oh and Narnia but I can't remember a loving thing about them.) After that I didn't really read any fairy tale poo poo before running into Pratchett years later.

My run-in with unexpected Awful Sex Stuff as a teenaged girl and fantasy fan was Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock, which is esteemed enough to now be republished as part of the Fantasy Masterworks series (OK, that's not that high a bar).

It could have done with a lot more of PTSD-afflicted veterans of a still-recent WW2 meeting entities summoned from mythology by wildwood magic, and a lot less of one of these entities being a very young Celtic warrior princess whose authentically Celtic hygiene standards were simultaneously gross and erotic to the (adult male) narrator.

I don't think this character ever appeared without him commenting on her earthy, female smell. I ended up rooting for the one man in the whole book who didn't start perving on her as if her BO was some sort of human catnip.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

This is sad news. I recall being both entertained and horrified by the first Wraeththu book after I picked it up from the exchange bookshelf of a pub in Bath (and even more entertained and horrified by the spin-off RPG handbook, presumably now a valuable collector's piece). And yes, she did write better stuff than anemone-dicked Bowie clones...but it seems that if you hit gold as a writer of hair-metal vampires and The Jismatic Sacrament, the monkey's paw of success twitches, and you're stuck like that.

Still, most people who dream of being writers never publish jack poo poo, and that cannot be said of her. RIP, Storm Constantine. Magic is optimism and hope.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

Does this count:

I get a lot of ads for terrible fiction, but I've been going OH NO, MY VULVA for the past little bit and giggling over it.

I needed to know the context for this one. Curiosity is a curse.

The Perfect Waters: Odessa. Book 1, by LeeSha McCoy posted:

Asia's mother went missing eighteen years ago and since then, Asia has feared the one thing she always dreamt of working with.

The ocean.

So instead, she's been living life as a lab tech. She doesn't exactly love her job, but it pays the bills and she has money to spend on nights out with her girls. However, her most recent night out ends up with her gaining markings on her skin and losing body parts...

Well, I guess that answers the question 'What if The Shadow over Innsmouth was erotica?'. Of the blurbs for this author's pioneering work on Goodreads, I think this is the most striking:

Babies For My Zombie Kings, by LeeSha McCoy posted:

I belong to five dead brothers, and they belong to me.

The six of us are connected now, in ways you couldn't imagine. They're not just constantly inside my head with their thoughts and feelings, they're inside me.

And although I'm kinda dead like them, I've never felt more alive.

I must be crazy, insane even, but I've fallen hard for my five zombie kings. I'm in love with Thorn, Blade, Dagger, Axe, and Pin, and I'm going to have their babies.

Lots of them.

Being like them has changed my life, but I know my work as a scientist isn't done. Far from. There are many things we need to figure out before the first of our young makes their arrival...

The world isn't ready for us, so I know things won't be easy. But soon, I don't think anyone will have a choice.
Especially after a few people wake up changed from my bites.

One of them being my ex-best friend.

What if 28 Days Later was erotica? I'm not brave enough to look for samples of this one.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

The infamous cleaner, Whiskers 'Tin Man' Maguire, owner of the biggest cat-food empire on the East Coast.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

This is a question for the ages. Which would I rather be told by someone I myself fancied:

"Your blog is jejune, and your novel a worryingly earnest self-insert into a blancmange of tedium, but your body is :discourse:."

or
"Your writing is :discourse: but frankly you have all the sex appeal of a weekend in a Swindon Travelodge."

Also, for reference, is the poetry better or worse than this example, which popped up on Reddit about a year ago and burned itself into my brain:

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Apr 1, 2021

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

HopperUK posted:

The best thing about the Re-Animator novelisation is that it reveals that West is actually *Canadian*. No wonder he's so invested in reviving the dead, they're all necromancers up there.

This is a call-out to the original story.

West isn't Canadian in 'Herbert West -- Reanimator', but in 1915 he volunteers as a doctor for a Canadian regiment in Flanders, taking the narrator along with him, in search of a plentiful source of fresh corpses (the US would not join WW1 until 1917, and West clearly didn't want to miss out on valuable research time).

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

quote:

She knew that its failure to start was not really a mechanical hitch. True a motor engineer might look at it afterwards and say. 'Oh, the sproggle pin's worked loose', but the deeper question was, 'Who had made the sproggle pin work loose?' No, this was spiritual. It was a war between her and the insolent and uncurtailed fairies who lived in the rocks between her and fate.

Perhaps I've read too much bad smut, but it was the Sproggle Pin passage that got me laughing like a loon near the end of a tough week. "Sproggle pin" occurs nowhere on the internet...except within the pages of The Suppliant, as excerpted on this very thread. It's a phrase worthy of the great Lionel Fanthorpe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

nonathlon posted:

Anyway back to books. I was recently asked to recommend some classic science fiction and it got difficult...

At the risk of learning that he was secretly a terrible person, even if he didn't write terrible books, how about John Wyndham? The Day of the Triffids for a full-length novel -- and The Seeds of Time would be my pick for readily-available anthologies (there's a bit of everything in that one, from cosmic irony to social satire to pure survival horror).