Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

My brother loaned me Ready Player One and good loving lord is that infuriating bullshit of the most childish kind. It was so bad.

Apparently there's a whole thread about it in GBS but no way am I going to go in there. I like dumb escapist fantasy and science fiction, I've read many bad books that I kinda enjoyed but the whole shtick of being a total badass because you know all these obscure 80s pop culture references was just sort of sad. Plus the writing was awful.

That's the only one that really sticks out from the last few years. Thankfully I have a merciful memory when it comes to bad books in that I just tend to forget I've read them.

edit: oh hey what do you know, two in a row.

edit2: Ah I forgot The Dresden Files: "Urban Magician" Harry Dresden Private Eye etc. is too cool for all of your bullshit. Dames, trenchcoat gets into the establishment's face, scrapes through each situation in banter and blood, general fuckup but only so that he can shrug through it all but actually he's really miserable and man just awful all around. A pastiche of a noir sleuth meets Die Hard and magic. I got through three books of this now 15 book series for some reason (people told me that's when it gets good I think). Now all this might sound ok again as a dumb escapist fantasy (which, yeah, got no problem with that kind of thing) if it wasn't so miserably badly written. One of those I won't ever understand being quite as popular as it is.

Another one to thank my bro for. Thbro.

To get an idea, this is in the OP of the Book Barn Dresden Files thread:

"Badass"

NLJP has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If we're on terrible Fantasy, here is a great page where Terry Goodkind gets thoroughly destroyed.

Yeah that's one author that I'm astonished is still on all sci-fi/fantasy bookshelves in shops after all these years.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ninurta posted:

gently caress you and your poo poo opinions.

Everyone likes some bad things these are just some bad things I do not like, sorry bro

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dune and Children of Dune are great (I mean, you need to read dune messiah for children of dune but that one's mediocre) and past that it's still worth reading one or two but you lose nothing by stopping any time past children, imo.

It really gets up its own rear end by the end of the series but Dune and Children of Dune are still two of my favourite books.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Named Luuke.

There was a third clone named Luuuke.

With some of these things I just imagine the writer got drunk with some friends and they just used whatever they suggested to see how much they could get away with, Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks style.

edit: I looked up Luuuke and it was a parody or something apparently :( Mind you, what I said goes for the non Frank Dune books I guess.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Apr 26, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

James Garfield posted:

I like how they are saying "gin-soaked" is racist.
Since when does the stereotypical blue-collar white dude drink gin?

Yeah it really is more old school classist. But like, 18th century classist.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Darthemed posted:

It's not really a terrible book, but one that I am embarrassed to have purchased.

I haven't read it but those excerpts make me confident that it is, in fact, a loving awful book.

I mean, christ:

quote:

Mike Nelson's Death Rat! posted:
Gus Bromstad was in a hurry to use his new FlameMaster convection oven and did not read the label. He glanced at it only briefly before cooking his enchiladas, ignoring everything but the suggested oven temperature. He did not even wait long enough for the oven to preheat, and this gave the naturally occurring bacteria an even more conducive environment in which to grow. It was, in fact, not he who had thawed the Mrs. Condresi's Crab Enchiladas in the refrigerator; it was his buying service. But that was of no help to Gus Bromstad on this particular night.

Are you kidding me? This is utterly wretched.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Jun 9, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I was pleasantly surprised by how it all wrapped up in the end. Mind you, I've forgotten most of it now so it can't have been that amazing.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Growing up, US covers for sci fi and fantasy were more often than not absolute poo poo compared to the UK ones. I always wondered why that was and is this still the case?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's real sad. Discworld has been a mainstay with at least a book a year for a large chunk of my life :( Miss you Terry.

Even the less good Discworld books were very readable and some of the latter ones were still amazing. I was about to mention Night Watch as one of the later ones but wtf that came out all the way back in 2002?

I am also totally unashamed in my liking of the technically YA Tiffany Aching series.

edit: oh wait, bad book thread. Well, I thought The Long Earth was a bit crap but I blame Stephen Baxter.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dude would fit right in the Dark Enlightenment thread. He's that mix of totally convinced he's the best and most intelligent but totally tone-deaf socially so thinks there's some kind of flowchart or checklist you need to go through and then you get the results you want (like the PUA poo poo). A cursory look at a topic is enough to convince him he knows all about it.

He never feels he could ever be in the wrong. Perfect.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It may be the 'hip' thing to hate but it is also really really bad.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

In the Let's Read, it's getting worse.

Carrot Top and Wayne Newton have appeared to fawn over the author avatar.

New York Times Bestseller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Lord of Light is the traditional pick for best of Zelazny's books, so if you get a chance and enjoy his other stuff...

Yeah Lord of Light owns.

editL Zelazny wrote quite a lot of bad stuff (basically to pay the bills it seems) but his best is some of the best sci fi/fantasy imo

NLJP has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Mar 12, 2018