Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Peter Watts is generally really good and he even puts his books online for free after he's made "enough money" I guess?: http://www.rifters.com

Anyway the third book of the Starfish/Maelstrom/Behemoth trilogy has these awful intensely explicit chapters about a sexual sadist. Luckily they're all named "Portrait of the Sadist as [some age]" and you can easily skip them.

For some reason, sci-fi authors tend to be really into writing out their sexual hangups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think Demon is saying that unless you write at least as well as Atwood, don't put genital mutilation in your book.

Handmaid's Tale is really good, also Oryx and Crake. The sequels to the latter annoyed me a little because the world became too small. It was like every named character had had 2-3 run-ins with as many other named characters.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tiggum posted:

I just tried reading Netherwood by Michele Lang and the first chapter was definitely so bad it's good, but unfortunately the second chapter was just dumb and boring, so I gave up. That first chapter is pretty amazing though.

I like that the badass self-insert has an even more badass online persona.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

outlier posted:

While I'm dissing SF giants: William Gibson.

Or, to be more specific, some of Gibson's books. I think even fans (and I'm one) will admit that he writes for effect and colour and that there's often a lot of nonsense rolling around in his books. The question is, does the nonsense distract you?

Cue, the Blue Ant Trilogy:

* Pattern Recognition: a cool hunter tries to track down the creator of a series of mysterious videos, her super-rich boss makes lots of portentous statement. Probably doesn't bear examination, but reads fairly well with lots of nice observations of people and places.

* Spook Country: a cavalcade of diverse characters try to hunt down a mysterious shipping crate. Some of them don't even know what's in the crate but assume it must be valuable. Surprise - it's a million dollars. Arguably less than has been spent chasing the drat thing. Passable if irritating.

* Zero History: an ex-rock star who is strangely like previous leads is sent by super-rich boss to hunt down a mysterious ... set of jeans. Seriously, WTF? And Gibson apparently got friends to send him descriptions of places in London, which explains why it seems to be set in some strange parallel not-quite London, complete with multiple "stared at their reflection in the burnished surface of the elevator".

Re the last point, Pattern Recognition goes into the "mirror world" feel when travelling, where everything is not quite the same as your home country. Outlets are different, street signs use different fonts, etc. So it's porbably on purpose.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Roller coasters twist and turn all over the place, and the protagonist is a twisted goddamn psycho.

/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I found a book called <b>The Intelligence of P-1</b> in a campground library. I'm a sci-fi fan and the cover illustration is ridiculous so I read it. Unfortunately, I've loaned it to a friend so I don't have access to a picture of it. Google doesn't know about it either.

The cover has a giant computer chip with nerdy looking people stuck on it, yelling. It's a painting. It's amazing.

The book is from the early 80s, I believe.

The book is about a coder who creates an artificial intelligence that goes crazy, and the inventor eventually uploads himself into it.

The Adolescence of P-1. It had some merit because the AI literally runs on IBM mainframes, self-distributes across phone-lines & communicates via tele-types, but the main character is a really annoying know-it-all who is amazing at sex.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hackbunny posted:

What's the deal with visual novels? They're still a mystery and a "young people these days" thing to me, but I get the impression that they're a big deal

idk visual novels. i mean books have had illustrations since they were even a thing. Not all of them, but a good part anyway.

"Graphic novel"s are for children who are just slightly too old to read about superheroes, but not old enough to not read comic books.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

For some reason I've always confused House of Leaves and The Cider House Rules. I just realized this now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh my was it really John Irving? He is poo poo. It's always a young boy talking about his weird family and how he succeeds at everything despite the odds. Also he fucks an old pro at some point, usually German, haha goddamn. Formulaic as hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samfucius posted:

There's just so much leadup to it, and then "We hosed until it was quite dark outside."

If the rest of the book were better I might think it was a conscious choice for humor.

He should've bookended it with a description of the dusk. It was quite dark, really. Like a forest pond in the shade of a looming oak. Around it, reeds and ...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

What I really want to know is, where was Diogenes during all this? You'd think a guy who eschewed property and spit in the face of social norms would be the perfect character for a screed about anarchism that uses Greek philosophers as mouthpieces.

I'd put money on the name Aristotle, and possibly Plato, being the full extent of the author's knowledge of Greek philosophy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hellequin posted:

Shame that Hegesias of Cyrene's book Death by Starvation never survived. Cicero mentions it in a letter, it was a philosophical tract that hung around a dialogue between a man who is resolved to die by starvation and his friends; the man convinces them over the course of the dialogue that death is preferable to living because misery and pain is unavoidable. Apparently its depictions of human suffering were so overpowering that numerous people killed themselves after reading it. The Cyrenaics were an interesting school, extreme hedonists.

Wow it's like some kind of mashup between Goethe's Werther and BLIT. An idea or argument so persuasive, you have to follow it and kill yourself.

See also Max Barry: Lexicon which is very entertaining.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Dec 13, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Darkhold posted:

Nobody does Satanic wizardry like Lucifer. He really is the best Satanist.

If anyone is, he's the satanest satanist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flosofl posted:

Probably why it got greenlit.

Maybe that's an influence, but Interview with a Vampire was a pretty big success albeit some years ago.

E: Oh wait sorry, there was that Queen of the Vampires with Aaliyah (rest in peace) that didn't draw any crowds.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth, also by Doctorow, is so bad. I forgot the catalyst exactly, but there's a virus or something that kills the majority of people, but a bunch of computer janitors maintain order by sitting in their server rooms and emailing each other.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arivia posted:

The book is weird, but what the hell is up with that table?

i think its a chair with what looks like horse leather maybe. definitely some kind of animal skin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gabriel Pope posted:

I am listing LOTS OF THINGS. This makes me a GOOD WRITER, just like listing famous ballet dancers makes me A FASCINATING CONVERSATIONALIST ON THE TOPIC OF DANCE.

It kind of reminds me of otterguy's gimmick: There were Many Items of Food and Drink; these Included Watermelon; Pickles; Bratwurst; Knockwurst; Liverwurst; other Sausages;...

You forgot that most words aren't bolded (say bold 10% of the words) & also a very few should be in italics or underlined. It's gotta resemble the cadence of speech you see...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tetracube posted:

not hilariously terrible just weirdly surreal

https://www.math.brown.edu/~res/farm.pdf

I like this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shelley posted:

I always thought the Zen Pencils dude worked on some kinda commission system where people were like "make a comic to go with this quote and I'll pay you", which explains them all being loving awful quotes

goon project: have him illustrate a quote from the racist hotdog guy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow

I can't speak for the book, but that lil guy looks like the biking mosquito.

Danish intensity

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hey, he got reviewed by at least 4 different people. That's something :shobon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

These are amazing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maxwell Lord posted:

Book design via GIS

yea probably first GIS hit on "brothers" "crime" etc

i use the same method when illustrating my books

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im gonna check it out, but

"The group’s rich kid"

like thats a role thats supposed to be in all stories...?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I Killed GBS posted:

Sounds like you were engaging in some toxic masculinity.

sounds like youre a poopty poop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I Killed GBS posted:

Make no mistake, A Little Life is a very bad book

Bookmarkin ok

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I like novels about upper middle-class white people whose lives are disrupted by melodrama. Now that's literature.

brb it's been 15mins i gotta go jerk off Mr Franzen

lmbo i was gonna recommend franzen

welp, have you tried dave eggers?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

• sex scene containing one bizarre detail that makes you worry a little bit about the author, not in a judgy way, just in a does-he-actually-think-this-is-how-that-works?-how-has-he-been-married-for-six-years? way

usually my sex scenes have a lot of public transportation pauses, and cold seasons
:same:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah to me that's buzzword nonsense, whatever field you're in.

Some chinese whisper chain of deans, copywriters, faculty, execs, lawyers, students, their parents, etc, all managed to turn some completely benign draft of a course description into an impenetrable barrier of word salad. Trying to please everyone & so pleasing none as the guy said.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm reading Autumn Rain by David J. Williams and it's mostly alright futurewar cyberpunk idiocy, but it's getting pretty annoying how his characters are constantly super condescending towards each other. Like literally all conversations are like this:

quote:

“What the hell does that mean?”
“It means that one vector of this mission is finding out what Com intelligence knows. Finding out what they’re finding out. Finding out what they’re not.”
“And do we have an actual plan of operations?”
“We have an initial plan,” says Lynx.
“Which is?”
“Your getting moving.”
“Where to?”
“The south pole.”
“The where?”
“You heard me.”
“What the gently caress is down there?”
“Sarmax.”
Sarmax?
“How’s your hearing, Carson? They told me that might be an issue after your adventures up the rear end in a top hat of that rocket.”
“I loving heard you. What the hell’s he doing at the south pole?”
“That’s where he retired.”
“Sarmax retired?”
“Come on, Carson. Don’t tell me you didn’t know that.”
“I knew he left active service. But no one retires altogether.”

Also there's a lot of one character saying something, the other saying "Meaning what?", then the first one saying "Meaning blah blah ..."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ahem, R. Crumb is the weird fetish grandmaster

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there still a lot of popular sci-fi books with weird sex fantasies in a post-racial and post-gender Hugos

They're not there yet. IIRC they've passed a rule change to devalue slate-voting (like the puppy slates), but that won't have an effect until next year. The last couple years, people have had to vote "no award" to the racist/sexist nominations instead of vote for actually good books (with exceptions ofc).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tell me more about the gun that makes people love him. That sounds pretty weird!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Getsuya posted:

You program in a target then can set it to either love or hate. Whatever living thing you zap with it the either loves or hates the programmed target. The protagonist uses it to become popular then to fix his broken family. Things don't turn out so well in the end.

That seems incredibly dangerous. I'm glad everyone learns their lesson in the end :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Actually, I've kinda been wondering about "If you just avoid anything that obviously has a harem in it then you're likely to get good and not creepy stuff."

I kinda doubt that it's likely you'll get good stuff if you just filter out the harems.

I mean that's like saying if you filter out muslim terorrists from Tom Clancy books. They're still not good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Red tiddy up white tiddy down

gently caress, I looked back up at the pic & I think I have strabismus now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Saddest Rhino posted:

from what i'm told Wattpad is where people post and read them. once in a while you get some gems but usually it's utter rubbish. i read a chapter of some book which involved a transgender judge who gets to shoot people in court with her concealed carry pistol whenever she gets misgendered, so when the website asked me to sign up to read more i didn't bother

That sounds 10x better than level 20 nerd gets to *roll 1d4* touch 3 boobs, but also he can *no roll, natural ability* own the world

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plorkyeran posted:

We need a PYF PYF Grudges thread.

Pick one:

Quotes thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412
Anyone remember that thread where.. Lost SA stuff thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257
Greatest sagas of the SA forums: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826

Probably the last one works best, but eh, it's not like any of them are really on point 100% of the time

There's also
Internet Necromancy -- help others find long lost internet junk http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005662

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pytheas was cool as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

VoteTedJameson posted:

Anthropologist here: Margaret Mead is cool and good and that Australian dude was a dong. Fun fact: the reading at my wedding was from the Episcopal Common Book of Prayer because MM was such a badass that she was co-writing one of the mid-20th century revisions of it while still kicking anthro rear end and taking names.
Later in life she started wearing a cape and carrying a wizard staff but...I personally think she earned it.

Okay just to get it straight:
- she broke new ground in anthropology, regardless of the controversy
- she co-wrote a book of prayer
- she wore a cape and a wizard staff

She was def badass.