Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Slime posted:

Yeah, I was a little skeptical of Rui being a Gatchaman at first but his greatest contribution in that fight was support by getting people to where they needed to be. As for the villain...he has a point, Crowds IS quite dangerous in the wrong hands. Like his hands. Is he deliberately abusing it to show everyone how dangerous it is? I've forgotten a lot from the original series, I should probably give it a rewatch before getting into Insight. What happens to the user of a Crowds when it gets beaten down?

If a Crowds is killed, the user goes into a coma. (Permanently? Not clear) The Gatchas developed a way of merely stunning the Crowds in season 1, in which case the user simply loses consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, Tsubasa seems interesting. In particular, unlike Hajime, JJ recruited her when she was literally running away from him. Also, her transformation seems to be trigger by being angry, rather than on-command like Hajime and the other Gatchas?

Trying to parse the speech balloons. Yellow is happy, I guess? Green seems to be 'relieved' or something. Spiky edges would seem to denote some sort of tension, while Hajime's gray might be calm detachment or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I'd prefer it if the CROWDS all looked the same whether they were helping out or being controlled by VAPE. Red CROWDS look cool and all, but it'd be a more effective scare tactic on VAPE's part if you had blue CROWDS swoop in and mess up an area and then blue CROWDS swoop in and clean it up. Then you could get tension later on whether the CROWD nearby is a good one or a bad one. Then again, this could just be a smokescreen so when VAPE pulls off something really evil with blue CROWDS they can blame other people instead of themselves, which could be the last straw to get people to turn against CROWDS entirely. As usual, I'm probably overthinking things though.

I think it's pretty obvious well get a big throw down with Red vs. Blue CROWDS at some point though, and the color difference will make that fight a lot prettier and easier to follow.

The Red Crowds and VAPE are a terrorist group. Terrorist groups need a public image, to crystallize their identity in the public eye. I assume there's all sorts of low level Crowds crime happening, but making a group prominently do stuff under this organized Red Crowd persona plausibly would scare people a lot more than if it just appeared to be random attacks.

It also lets them control what they take credit for.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 5, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In Training posted:

Why does everyone dislike sugane

I don't dislike Sugane, but you have to admit that literally every other character in this show is more interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The first season doesn't agree with Hajime 100%, but it's pretty close. And to be honest, I'm fine with that. It's talking about something new and original and I like that it has a bold and provocative and unusual message.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I'm sure that'll be explaiend sooner or later. My guess right now is it's related to her running away from J.J. and not being all "cool, Gatcha me up!" like Hajime was. Probably something to do with not embracing either being a Gatchaman or an aspect of her personality, and when she resolves that conflict she'll do a normal Gatcha transformation, be way more powerful and save everyone.

It's pretty bread and butter, but bread and butter is delicious and I wouldn't mind if they went with something along these lines.

I'm almost certain this will not happen.

'Power' is really not something Gatchaman Crowds is concerned with.

Also I'm not convinced the new villain is a villain yet. Note that his actions have been entirely non-lethal so far, in contrast to, say, Berg Katze.

Cake Attack posted:

i wish to suffer the same fate as katze
my prediction is that gel is going to also end up in hajimes boobs where she and katze will fight eternally

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 13, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So thanks to this topic I started watching Crowds, will probably check out Insight when I finish because it turns out this show is pretty good. Is this series at all related to the older Gatchaman stuff? Like if I went back and watched some of the old series would anything make more sense? Also Hajime annoyed the hell out of me in the beginning but now every scene she's in is a treat. I think this cartoon has driven me insane.

Crowds is to a very strong sense a deconstruction of the original series. I imagine if you were familiar with the original and the versions of the characters there you might get something out of that, but it is very much not necessary.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

it's a lot of things towards the original series, but 'deconstruction' isn't one of them

I'm curious why you think that. Okay, my familiarity with the original series is literally just the wikipedia article, but from that it seems pretty clearly a deconstruction. Or maybe I just don't understand the word well enough, because I'm taking to mean "taking the original work to pieces, questioning its fundamental assumptions, seeing what results". Bleh.

I don't buy the argument that the show has 'nothing' to do with the original and could just be under a different, original name. I think Crowds is basically a response to the original, and in some ways it's in violent disagreement to it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

It is a metaphor for gun control :ssh:
It's a self-sustaining debate. Is it worse to disarm the people and rob them of their ability to defend themselves against a deadly threat, or is it worse to risk a destructive crossfire when people exercise their ability to defend themselves against a deadly threat?
It's not. It's more a metaphor for the internet. Crowds is a creative and expressive tool unlike guns, and the point is that it is increasingly omnipresent in its use and very anonymising.

It's very unlike guns, where proponents argue for the *capacity* for its use, not the normal usefulness of guns in regular life. . And of course guns aren't really in any sense anonymous.

Hajime is basically the Tim Berners-Lee of this universe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I could buy that as a direction the show might go, but has she made any controversial decisions this season? She's just been playing the role of celebrity/senpai. Everything she's done so far has been pretty common sense: fighting folks that are actively being a menace, being nice to strangers, calming folks down.

Actually, the more I think on it, the more I think it wouldn't make sense for the show to take that tack. Hajime embodies a spirit of kindness and communication, and it would be very odd of the show to call those ideals into question.

Possible things that can turn out to be bad calls by Hajime:

1. Not really offering Tsubasa any real guidance or leadership
2. Not being a lot more suspicious of Gel-Sadra and her motives/abilities
3. Long term taking in Berg Katze and still retaining a frontline leadership role. (We've seen her taking a break a couple of times to keep Katze under control, maybe this might happen and distract her at a critical time)
4. Kinda not keeping tabs on the whole VAPE situation, Rui is sorta the Crowds system's single point of failure, and she should never have let VAPE get to him

I guess the main thing is that in S1 Hajime was a lot more pro-active, and also clever in figuring out Berg Katze and the Crowds. She seems less in control of events in S2. Much more reactive, anyway.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

I think the significance of the gray bubble lies with who she shares that trait with, but I don't think there's enough information yet to say if having one is bad or just different/outside the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more showed up so that we could start getting a picture of what they mean -- is it simply a representation of that person's detachment, showing that they aren't influenced by the group's mood? That's what it feels like to me right now.

I don't think the grey bubble is gonna be a bad thing either, but if the stated goal of Gel is to have everyone's bubbles be the same colour then people like Hajime can't help but be an obstacle to that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jesus, Rui. Being you is truly suffering.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rui is perfectly willing to die for his ideals, to prove a point. He is not willing to kill for them. The question is whether Rizumu is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

kater posted:

Are you thinking the next episode begins with him seeing the dude sprawled out on the floor, and himself holding a knife, and then he goes 'oh poo poo my bad'?

I'm thinking that Tsubasa is about to ruin whatever resolution would have occurred.

But if she didn't, I'd expect to see cracks emerge in Rizumu's control over the Red Crowds. They might have signed on to end the Crowds menace, I don't think they signed on to murder.

I still expect the show to humanize Rizumu, because at the end of the day, he isn't crazy - he represents fully half of the population who are fearful of Crowds. Do you expect the show to go 'nah, some people are just evil'? If the show does go 'nah, some people are just evil, how can Rui be right to give people Crowds?

Edit: I don't necessarily think what Rui was doing was tactically wise, or that he should expect that Rizumu would be convinced in such a short time. However, given his stated ideals he is essentially trapped into this course of action. In terms of the other Gatchaman, Hajime obviously trusts Rui's commitment and has self control enough to observe a statement like 'stay back'.

It's Tsubasa who is I think maybe naive and rather inconsistent. She wants to save 'everyone', but merely wanting to do so doesn't mean that you would. If she prioritizes saving a fellow Gatchaman over all the hostages, and certainly over saving Rizumu and his followers, then things will become rather difficult.

A dark place for the series to go now would be for Rizumu to interpret this all as the Gatchas playing a trick, and executing the hostages, thus also alienating the public from the Gatchaman. Probably we won't go there, but who knows.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 19, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

On Gel Sadora being evil. It's a maybe given my limited knowledge of Gatchaman and that she is named after Gel Sadora from the original Gatchaman series who severed as the second commander of Galactor after Berg Katze's death. (Maybe we will get a third series featuring Count Egobossler the last Glactor commander) The reason why I say it's a maybe that she will be a villain is because although Katze was villain like he originally was, Sousai X who was both Gel and Katze's boss in the original is a good guy here. (Unless this AI has been playing a very long con it's unlikely.)

Pretty much they will reuse names but we have no way of knowing if the characters will be at all like their original.

I was also wondering if Vape and the Red Crowds are a reference to Red Impulse, but that's maybe tenuous.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I love that we are full-scale confronting the idea of how meaningless 'being a hero to protect people' is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Rui is 100 (idk why). Sugane is 96. Also, you're thinking of Tsubasa who's apparently listed as 60

The number is their level of competence. Remember that Hajime is 101. :science:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

From the times Rui cross-dressed, and the times he did not back in S1, my sense was that he viewed it as a sort of social armour, that let him overcome some kind of personal social anxiety. It's like a gatchaman transformation.

I don't think he is transgender in the simple sense, then, because I don't see gender as actually important to him. Her. They. I'm not sure the pronoun actually really matters in this case. I really don't see Rui as giving a drat. That's how I read the character anyway.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 27, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

For reference for this episode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Jou is a scarily good campaign manager.

I'm loving this series.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 1, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

a kitten posted:

Dawww, lookit the little Paiman. :3:

Oh Jesus, aren't those the toys he had with him all throughout S1, the ones that people figured reminded him of his lost people?

gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Redmark posted:

I meant more in terms of actions. Unless I'm misunderstanding, all med student has really done is drive Japan into the arms of a benevolent (?) alien personality cult, and he says as much himself. Why is he still acting like he's got it all under control? If he's against populism, if anything the situation is worse than it was before.

I don't think he's acting like he has the situation under control. He just likes being right.

He knows he's pretty much likely to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes, but there's nothing he can do about that. He's been fatalist in that respect from the beginning.

EDIT:

I kinda wonder whether Rizumu's situation is comparable to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinus_van_der_Lubbe

Well, if you adopt the viewpoint that Lubbe *did* in fact set the Reichstag fire.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 8, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Good Listener posted:

I just started watching this on Crunchy Roll and didn't realize it was a sequel. I'm enjoying it so far but have a question! Should I go back and watch the first part before continuing on?

Yes. Absolutely.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dogsicle posted:

maybe not kid kids, but it seems right on the mark for (pre)teens, especially with political disillusionment being more common in younger generations

You are insane if you think this show or Crowds is for pre-teens.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Insight maybe less so (school here taught civics in middle school, obv can't speak for Japan) but they definitely use social media and can encounter cyber bullying, so i'm sure the ideas in Crowds wouldn't be lost on them

[Insert gif of Rui being viciously and bloodily beaten here]

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Nooo I hate that guy he's terrible, I take it back!

Look, guy's just trying to hold down a job, entertaining and informing the public

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gentle Beasts whose name is Many? Hmmmmmmm. (BTW is the translation unambiguous there? I feel like there's other words for Gentle that might be used.)

Can someone remember JJ's earlier prophecy? I'm actually wondering now if that prophecy *has* in fact been fulfilled like people assume.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

a kitten posted:

Also, Hajime and Katze's interaction this episode was really drat good.

Yeah, I think BK finally managed to get to Hajime when he played that trick of letting slip he knew Gel, before switching to insults.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

Tsubasa basically just wants to end all conflict by any means necessary, even if it means making everyone basically human-shaped ants. Although she might not really know that just yet.

I think, in terms of Uniting Our Hearts, Tsubasa just glommed on to whatever Gelsadra wants, or her interpretation of what Gelsadra wants. She seems a very dependent personality, who really wants to get along with everyone and have someone tell her exactly what to do. She really wants to just live a simple life and not have to think very hard about difficult or troubling concepts.

Rui's updating the world is about creating a system that reinforces and empowers the best parts of humanity, like being kind to each other, and still embracing the differences between individuals. A sort of ideal society where everyone is an active and positive participant. Think of it as a real-world wikipedia, at least in terms of what wikipedia was created to attempt to achieve.

We don't necessarily need to take Jou and Rizumu's 20:60:20 ethos as gospel. Jou's worldview is mainly about the impossibility of change. He might agree with what Rui is trying to achieve, but he also thinks its impossible. What we're actually seeing with Gel is that he's growing the 60% - he's providing an environment designed to reinforce being 'normal' and following the herd.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 16, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh god that scene with Rui.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kylra posted:

My biggest surprise with that scene was that the Kuus couldn't somehow hug a computer AI into compliance.

I'm sure Rui will snap out of it later at a critical moment.

Well, they'll just get the sysadmin to reprogram the AI according to their specifications.

Also Conceited Fool is totally 'Enemy Turn in Advance Wars' type music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne79ndFJgGg

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dogsicle posted:

the giant Kuu-sama that was holding Rui looked super comfy. I don't want to want one!!

I hope they sell beanbag covers. Though I would feel conflicted in using them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think they just reflect Gel's colour scheme.

Note that the missing colour is Black, so that might suggest what is yet to emerge from Gel.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Normie Slayer posted:

I get the feeling Katze is going to be the one who defeats Gel

Katze defeats Gel, copies him, BECOMES GOD NOW.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am not really sure the situation is such that Gel can just 'stop'.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man, how many children have the Kuu eaten up to this point?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Conot posted:

Jesus Christ, are people really advocating what amounts to murder because "he played loud music at night"? I know people can be vindictive and assholes, but that still seems a little... cold?

Its especially mind bending that they couldn't see anything wrong with people backing down about minor poo poo like social get togethers because they are effectively being threatened with murder.

Also, Jou nooooooooo And Sugane, stop slipping back into your everyman role, we already have like, 3 of those this season.

Well, the Kuu seem to operate based on what people *seem* to feel. Like, if the majority is happy to live in blissful ignorance, are you going to be part of the minority that thinks the Kuu are bad? Maybe if they could think freely, some kind of opposition can form, but no one wants to be the first to poke their head above the parapet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In Training posted:

How many episodes are left?

Two more, I think.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like that we finally have an answer for 'what are Gatchaman good for in this new mass media world?'

Entertaining people, giving people catharsis, and raising people's consciousness.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I feel like we'll see an epilogue/picking up the pieces next episode, so I think you are jumping the gun a little. It's not even the case that all the Kuu are gone, it seems like the ones corresponding to the people okay with killing Gel are still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm operating off the assumption that things are going to end pretty OK and that Hajime's plan has mostly fixed things simply because we have only one episode left, which wouldn't really be enough if there's too much of a complicated, systemic mess to resolve. I mean, yeah, Rizumu's still out there, but I would be deeply surprised if he's able to be much more than a surface-level problem to be swept away.

I can see there being a fairly open ended end, really. For once I feel like 'but our fight continues....' would be perfectly justified.

• Locked thread