Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sequel to the stylish 2013 anime Gatchaman Crowds. Just gonna quote the Wikipedia article's synopsis.

quote:

The series takes place in the early summer of 2015 and is set in the city of Tachikawa, Japan. A "second metropolis" of Tokyo, Tachikawa is protected by the Gatchaman, warriors who fight in special reinforced suits powered by the manifestation of their spiritual powers called NOTE. Following the introduction of their newest member, the energetic and cheerful Hajime Ichinose, the Gatchaman must deal with Berg Katze, an enigmatic alien creature bent on destroying Earth just like it did with several other planets in the past.

One year after Berg Katze is stopped, the CROWDS system developed by Rui Ninomiya has spread among the Japanese society, shortening the gap between the population and the government. However, this new era of peace is threatened by the mysterious organization "WAPE", calling the Gatchaman to action once more, including two new members, one being Rui and the other being the impulsive Tsubasa Misudachi, who becomes Hajime's new partner.

Same people working on the show, including :siren:Taku Iwasaki:siren: (Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, JoJo Battle Tendency, among many others) as the composer.

Why Should I Watch
The first season was well-animated, making good use of CG and bright colors, had an amazing soundtrack by Taku Iwasaki, and was overall an entertaining romp with an optimistic view and simple but idealistic message about social networking and people working to help each other. Also Berg-Katze was an amazing villain. Basically it's fun+entertaining, and if the second season is anywhere near as good it'll be a fun ride.

If you haven't watched the first season I'd recommend doing that, there's still time to binge it before this season starts airing.

Where/When Can I Watch
It's available on Crunchyroll every Saturday starting the 4th.

New Characters

Tsubasa Misudachi (voiced by Kaori Ishihara)

A 16-year-old second year high school student from Nagaoka in Niigata Prefecture. She is also a new Gatchaman, and as a Gatchaman she is Hajime's new partner. She has an impulsive personality. When she's angry she slips into her home city's dialect.

Rizumu Suzuki (voiced by Yuichiro Umehara)

A 19-year-old medical student at a famous university. A realist, he regards Crowds and Rui as dangerous, and starts a mysterious organization.

Gelsadra (voiced by Kana Hanazawa)

An alien who makes an emergency landing in a space ship in front of Tsubasa's house, and so becomes attached to Tsubasa. Gelsadora is a pacifist, and so is under the protection of the Gatchaman.

Returning Cast

Hajime Ichinose (voiced by Maaya Uchida)

An energetic and empathetic schoolgirl who often comes off as strange due to difficulty expressing her thoughts to others, Hajime was the heroine of the first season wherein she pushed the stagnating Gatchaman to action. She currently has the villain of the first season, Berg-Katze, living inside of her.

Sugane Tachibana (voiced by Ryota Osaka)

Described by Hajime as being "straight like an arrow," this earnest and stubborn kendo practitioner acted as her partner for the first season. Her actions resulted in him realizing that "having a social life" and "not having a stick up your rear end" are important qualities for a person to have.

Joe Hibiki (voiced by Daisuke Namikawa)

A depressed Tokyo University graduate and small-time bureaucrat, his passion for justice was re-ignited by Sugane during the finale of the first season.

Utsutsu Miya (voiced by Kotori Koiwai)

An introverted alien refugee on Earth, she originally only talked to O.D but learned to open up to the other Gatchaman by the end of the first season. Has the ability the create clones of herself and to take and give life with her right and left hands, respectively. Likes to wear swimwear.

Paiman (voiced by Aya Hirano)

A small, panda-like alien refugee and self-proclaimed leader of the Gatchaman on Earth. The loss of his best friend to Katze had left him despondent and cowardly until he shook off his funk during the finale of the first season. Tells everyone he hates pandas but secretly likes them.

O.D (voiced by Daisuke Hosomi)

A flamboyant alien refugee on Earth. Though originally lamenting his inability to transform into a Gatchaman, this turns out to be a lie as he is actually the most destructive Gatchaman, to the point that merely existing in that state destroys everything around him. Was manipulated by Katze into destroying his homeworld and so grew lazy, but played an important part in the first season's finale, retrieving Rui's NOTE from Katze and allowing Rui to give CROWDS to everyone.

Rui Ninomiya (voiced by Ayumu Murase)

A young genius who developed the revolutionary social networking service GALAX and the sentient A.I. that runs it, President X. Obtained a NOTE from Katze that allowed him to grant anyone the ability to project their soul as a superhuman CROWDS. He was manipulated by Katze to bring about Earth's destruction through abuse of the CROWDS, but saved the day in the end by trusting in and giving everyone the ability to use CROWDS.

President X (voiced by Sakura Tange)

A sentient A.I. created by Rui that manages his GALAX system.

Berg-Katze (voiced by Mamoru Miyano)

A depraved alien, former Gatchaman, and villain of the first season. Has destroyed multiple worlds, and always seeks to do so by manipulating the inhabitants. Can levitate, teleport, turn invisible, and mimic the appearance of anyone he kisses. Is currently stuck inside of Hajime and tries to tempt her into violence. Hajime is not amused.

J.J. Robinson (voiced by Katsuji Mori)

This snake-like man is the guardian of many worlds, including Earth. He protects them by materializing individuals' souls as NOTEs that allow them to transform into Gatchaman, as well as providing cryptic prophecies in the form of poems and origami.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 15, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A decent episode, if a tad slow. I agree it did feel a bit odd. New OP is good, though not as much as the first season's. I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

I hope we see a lot of Gelsadra's thought bubbles. Season 1 was pretty good with small details, so I imagine that each of the colors do signify something. I figure the gray is "set in your ways" on account of both Hajime and the old dude having it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Weren't they basically doing that in the season 1 finale, even assigning point values for taking down the abusive CROWDS?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I fall into the pit of remembering characters more by nicknames that I make up rather than their actual names.

Katze, for example, spent half the show as "Space Flea"

That's good. Mind sharing the others?

chumbler posted:

Regarding the MESS, I didn't notice it the first time, but when rewatching the first episode a couple days ago, I caught that JJ says something like chaos not necessarily being a threat, which is absolutely Hajime's point of view.

I think he was more specifically referring to the MESS there, but I could totally see that being meant as general world advice anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

I like that the vape guys wear masks when vaping, because that only makes them more conspicuous.

It reminds me of the 100/Neo 100 from season 1, who wore masks that covered their eyes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

My assumption for the difference between JJ's and Katze's ability to create NOTEs is because Katze is imitating JJ and isn't actually the same kind of being. Was it not mentioned, at least obliquely, that he was at one time a Gatchaman himself? I don't remember exactly since it's been so long since I watched it.

I don't remember if it was ever directly stated, but it was heavily implied with things like JJ's prophecy referring to him as a broken bird.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It might also be normal. We don't know if everybody who isn't a Social Media Buddha also figured the whole transformation deal out in like ten seconds flat.

IIRC Sugane made a comment in episode 1 of the first season that if Hajime couldn't transform then she should just watch, so one could infer that others have issue transforming at will at first.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

I remember O.D. saying he couldn't transform for most of season 1. I forget why.

He was just lying. He didn't want to transform since the last time he did he ended up destroying his home planet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a 50/50 chance between: ridiculous bedazzled speedo, or ironic full-body 1920s-style one piece in horizontal stripes.

I would guess the latter.

The more important question is what will Rui wear

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This episode was fantastic, much better than the previous two, IMO. I wonder if the red thing the prophecy mentioned is the red CROWDS or if it will turn out to be something to do with Gel-chan's thought bubbles.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

man, I somehow forgot how cool the designs were in Crowds. Has this artist worked on anything else in particular?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=14245

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I feel like that's kind of the point. Rizumu is being up his own rear end with his cynicism as much as Rui was about her idealism in season 1. I figure he'll have that attitude be tempered by being convinced that the masses can use power for the greater good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Condiv posted:

i am really sick of that pinstriped pumpkin millione

his show's theme is great tho'

Can't wait for the OST.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

Gatcha Gatcha

good av.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lessail posted:

Has there been no thought bubble for Berg Katze so far?

Have any of the alien members of our cast ?

I'm pretty sure O.D and Paiman have had bubbles.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sugayama misunderestimated them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

In Training posted:

I think we should eat the rich.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Guys you're missing the most important part of this episode

Rui got a new outfit/hairstyle! :gerty:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Did Gel always have high heels? The camera lingering on them reminded me a lot of Berg-Katze at the least.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I feel like the gentle beasts are gonna be the people. They'll be pacified by the weird monsters Gel made and basically become like the lotus eaters. Would also fit with how Rizumu has been calling the masses apes, and mentioned how everyone will be true apes soon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Senerio posted:

Thanks so much! I had the perfect text in mind, so I just needed a decent picture.

Good title.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

If Paiman doesn't get a sprite I'm gonna rename this thread the Paiman Appreciation Station.

That's probably not a bad idea either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baal posted:

i'm bluetsutsu

• Locked thread