Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

OP: https://youtu.be/FyIVdgKjhdQ

I find the bits with the cutouts funny for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The new ED song isn't as good as Innocent NOTE, but at least it avoids the horrible CG of the first ED. Those CG models of Hajime and Sugane were just horrific from some angles.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also there are slight hints with for the coming conflict looks like Gel is having an interest to Hajime having Katze inside of her. Really there isn't much of a difference between believing Crowds is bad and letting someone with a weapon of mass destruction inside of her walking about. Both are based on mistrusting people. So I'm guessing some manner of conflict is going to erupt from this

Plus there's the fact that Gel and Katze are opposites in how they seek to affect society.* One brings total unity, the other complete chaos, so they're natural enemies.

*Though they both sprout from the same source that you mentioned, a distrust in other individuals. Katze is a fallen Gatchaman who I assume grew disillusioned with people, giving up heroism for accelerating and reveling in what he believes is the inevitable self-destruction of a society of individuals.

Gel, on the other hand, is the "savior" of such societies, but only by transforming them into absolute collectivist societies.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 8, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The way he eye balls her when she doesn't do the breathing technique can of hammers in that he thinks somethings up because she's such a non-conformist.

I'm willing to bet that 'exhaling properly' is doing it at your own pace. Every time he chastised someone for not exhaling properly was when they were mimicking his pace and pattern.

Gel was the only other person he chastised in the same way in the first episode, so I'd say that's on the money.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 8, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tsob posted:

I think the other shoe is more likely to be the fact that Gelsadra has become a benevolent dictator by dissolving the rest of the government and while yea, he's all smiles at the moment and taking on everyone's opinions what happens when everyone is looking to do something he doesn't agree with? He's all about unity, but he's also all about avoiding conflict, so if people are pushing for a conflict of some kind it might be the snapping point for him.
The thing is, Gel doesn't really have opinions of his own. His actions are determined by the thoughts of those around him, and what he calculates will make everyone united (represented by their thoughts all being the same color). His idea of conflict isn't violence, but people being fragmented in thought, desires, and actions. If nearly everyone was for violence against a specific target, he'd be all for it as well, because that would unite the people. Note that in the OP the thoughts surrounding Gel are all red. Making everyone happy isn't the only way of uniting them.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Grey is still a mystery, but it might be a sort of contentment or inner peace.

Possibly, but the most crucial trait is that those whose "thoughts" are grey are unchanging; their thoughts aren't swayed by Gel's actions, which makes people like Hajime and Tsubasa's grandfather antithetical to his mission. Considering that both Katze and Gel's philosophies are taken to absolute extremes when describing the planets they've previously visited-obliteration and complete unity respectively-Gel would not want people like this to exist. But then, what would he do about it?

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Einander posted:

I like how the scene with Tsubasa's grandfather played out exactly how it would in a normal show, because the older generation doesn't understand young people! They don't know what it's like to fight for peace!

...and then once Tsubasa's done yelling about how he doesn't understand what it's like to fight in the real world, there's a momentary shot of her grandfather looking at the funeral shrine for his brother the soldier.

That's a pretty beautiful response to such a typical scene.

It's also a pretty unsettling implication about what lengths Gel, or any leader, might go to in order to unite people. Any country in time of war or desperation may do horrifying things in order to drive patriotism and support. The US did some pretty lovely things to prevent the loss of morale by way of war protestors during the World Wars, to say nothing of the social conditioning practiced by Imperial Japan upon its people and especially its prospective military officers and soldiers in the lead-up to their 1931 invasion of Asia.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

i've had it with gel's do goody populist bullshit. kill him already hajime

"Won't hate. Won't kill. :>"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hey, they can't make Marvel VS Capcom anymore, might as well make Tatsunoko VS Capcom 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just got around to finishing insight, and it was really good! I think they could've structured the end of 11 and the beginning of 12 such that it flowed a bit better, without having Tsubasa spell the whole thing out at length, especially since it was pretty obvious from that start what was going on. But overall the season came together really well, and managed to improve on the first season.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Also: GOOD MORNING STUPID, lovely, BITCH PLANET!

e:
And now that it's over, I'd like to touch on something that I thought the season did really well. Even while introducing two new characters that got a significant chunk of the show's focus and screentime, the show did a good job at utilizing the whole cast. Even though certain members like Sugane had less screentime than in S1, nobody felt forgotten, they all had their own unique situations and reactions to how society was shifting around them. There were a few moments throughout where the Gatchaman were talking as a group and I thought they might leave a member just milling around in the background, but I was pleasantly surprised when they would speak up or be addressed. The only character in the show you could say didn't get a whole lot of attention is Utsusu, and being quiet is her thing, whether you like that or not. I do think they kind of laze when it comes to having her do much besides letting them safely gently caress up the Gatchaman (though that in itself was used well when they involved the entire crew in healing Hajime), but overall I was impressed by how well they utilized their cast, even more minor characters like Mana and her dad.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 27, 2015

• Locked thread