Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Is there no way to turn off double-tap dodge? Not even in a config file of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thern posted:

The alchemist has the goofiest walk during battle, it's incredible.

Seriously. You just bound along like a demented rabbit.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Are buffs snapshotted in this game or are they live?

i.e. can i deploy my oozes and then hit my damage buff while they're on the way there

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Alchemist's Prot Membrane says it reflects damage coming from in front of you, but either the game has one hell of a generous "front" detection system or it just reflects everything. I haven't figured out which.

You can even stand in the path of massive boss lasers and room-clearing AOEs, and it will reflect every bit of that back at the boss for damage. Pretty nuts, and very handy for just outright ignoring mechanics.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

RottenK posted:

caps reset

gonna finally get alchemist and douse other people in lifegiving acid :neckbeard:

Alch is pretty fun. I might do a spergpost if people are interested

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Okay. Classified as support, alchemists are basically force multipliers in groups - they do okay damage on their own but their abilities can provide significant group damage boosts, enemy debuffs and a lot of healing/mitigation.

Basic attacks
Your left click is Acidic Solution and your right click is Combustible Solution. The basic idea is to stack one solution on the enemy, then detonate with the other solution.
Single-target: left click eight times, right click to detonate
AOE: right click five times, left click to detonate
Doing this nets you catalyst (your mana) to spend on heavy hitters.

Slot 1
You have a choice between Creeping Horror and Predatory Ecto, both of which do the same thing: summon oozes that sidle on over and explode on your target. The former costs less mana but does less damage; the latter costs more but has special effects in PVP. Damage to mana wise, the former is more efficient in PvE.
There's a trait which increases the damage on follow-up oozes after a summon, which is in your interest to keep up. That means your basic damage rotation will be left/right click combo -> summon two oozes for max bonus -> repeat.

Slot 2
PBAoE skill - you fly up and cover the area in chemicals. Same deal with the two choices: one costs less; the other costs more but does impulse damage without consuming a charge. You can trait for a 50% chance to get a second activation for free.

Slot 3
The catchall util slot. You have some very interesting choices here.
Janus Essence - coats the ground in goo, slowing enemies down and granting you extreme dash distance within the circle. You can trait it to deal AOE damage every time someone lands a crit within the circle.
Skipjack - you point your cursor where you want to go, and activate the skill to use your kit like a jetpack. You'll fly to your cursor location and slow enemies as you land. You can use it three times in a row before the cooldown kicks in. Can be traited to upgrade the slow to an immobilise. This skill is fiddly to use, but offers great crowd control and is a very good bailout skill for when someone is breathing down your neck.
Prot Membrane - you root yourself, spinning a wall of acid in front of your face. It reflects damage back to attackers. This skill is utter bullshit - it can reflect boss oneshot lasers and room-wide AOEs, allowing you to stand in place and ignore mechanics as other players flee to safety behind rocks or out of death zones. Can be traited to start its cooldown upon activation rather than end, or to upgrade its reflection from 100% to 180% of damage. Keep in mind that the damage component of an attack is reflected, but not its other effects - including things like knockback, boss attacks that poison you or set you on fire etc.
Some gas bomb I can't remember the name of - you throw it and it paralyses people. If you tap the key you get a delayed paralysis; if you hold it down you get an instant paralysis on detonation. Costs a hell of a lot of mana but is good for pissing people off in PvP.

Slot 4
Biotrap - you throw some flasks. One yanks people in, the other two deal damage. Use this in conjunction with your damage buffs for more damage for everyone.
Monster form - you turn into a punchfists monster with two skills - left click punches, right click charges at the enemy. Can be traited to extend duration when you kill something with it.
Massive Transformation - you get a transform, he gets a transform, everyone gets a transform! The cooldown is five minutes. C'est la vie

Slots 5 through 8 - These are fixed skills.
Prot Shield - it's a shield you can put on yourself or on allies. Can be traited to completely absorb the first hit (allowing you to soak oneshots) and recharge instantly if it blows up.
Stim Injector - makes someone do more damage.
Alch Terminal - weird but powerful skill. You tap to summon a terminal at your feet, or hold to summon a terminal at your target's feet. Teammates who use the terminal (use is instant) gain four seconds of invuln. Can be traited to add immunity to CC, and to increase its use range. Nobody in your team will understand what the terminal does so don't hold out hope that people will use it.
Energy Shower - damage boost for you and people near you. Can be traited to offer increased movespeed, immunity to slows and free dashes for its nine-second duration. Tell your team to look out for the yellow piss spray coming out your rear end. Everyone will do sick crits and love you.

Ultimate
You soar through the air, spraying everything below you with healing piss. Massive cooldown, but can unfuck a fight that is going badly. Can be traited to give you damage mitigation after it ends.

The tutorial doesn't do a good job of showing you what the alch is capable of, but the promo missions do. If you get a promo mission for alch, try it out - you might like it.

(feel free to link this post in the OP)

Kessel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 29, 2015

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

There's an alchemist talent that reduces damage for your entire team by 80 loving percent when you hulk out. Your team still receives the damage boost while this is active.

It's incredible. Your whole team can basically go full bore on the boss with their damage boost, without worrying about dying.

I would be surprised if alch doesn't become a staple class in whatever hardcore endgame crap they have planned.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Servers down for 30-45 minutes as they attempt to unfuck PvP queues.

For those not in the know, the queues were bugged and launching matches... as 1v1s.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Early TSW was really bullshit, and Yokai wrote some extremely comprehensive guides on gearing for that game that people still sort of refer to even now. He probably knows what he's talking about.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The FFA PvP mode in this game is one of the most aggressively uninteresting I've seen in a long while.

Normally you can still get some mileage out of lovely PvP by abusing gimmick builds and classes, but I couldn't even squeeze that out of Skyforge.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tried a gunner promo and didn't really like it - now I don't know what to aim for. I have Archer (which I haven't touched) and am very happy with the mobility and general fun having of Alch.

How is punchmancer? I've tried the training and it seems like your right click roots of at the end?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Found out today that the Alchemist passive aura grants 20% bonus major stats and 15% max HP to all allies within 20 metres.

That's quite nice.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Some of the skill translations list range in yards but the game uses metres.

Is this just a case of Obsidian deciding Americans can't understand metric, and yd = m, or do I actually have to loving convert

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

It also helps to check if the commanders that you are sending messages to are online by unchecking the offline mark in the social menu when searching their name.

because russiagame cannot design UI for poo poo, when you start searching for a name the offline checkbox defaults back to on and cannot be unchecked

try it and you'll see.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I would really like a "call target" button, or some sort of target marking functionality.

That alone would go a long way towards reducing confusion in five-mans.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That Archer bug is driving me nuts. You just get stuck in an animation and can't attack till you do something that breaks the animation (e.g. dash).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Your Templars were bullshitting.

The only issue I can think of with that particular tell is that the laser is wider than the blue line on the floor would suggest, so give yourself a little more room.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

LunaDeus posted:

Always seemed to 1-shot the cryos in my party though so I'm not sure whats happening there.

AOE damage from monsters and attacks with tells have a traumatic damage component. Melee classes have attributes on their weapons which halve traumatic damage.

It's basically meant as a balancing mechanic for the level of difficulty between melee and ranged classes. Reminds you not to stand in the fire.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Raiding with an Alchemist

The alchemist in your party is dropping random colours of acid everywhere and making it look like Woodstock. It's okay - don't panic! Here's a handy guide.

I HAVE A FLASK ICON ON MY BAR
You are being granted a passive aura by the alchemist. It boosts your major stats and HP. If you stray too far from the alchemist, you will lose the buff.

I HAVE AN IV DRIP COMING OUT MY BACK
You are being granted a big damage buff. When the drip runs out, so does the buff. Use your heavy-hitting skills now.

THERE IS A WEIRD TERMINAL WITH TEST TUBES AND I HAVE A USE PROMPT
If you use the terminal, you gain four seconds of invuln. The terminal only lasts a short time, so use it or lose it. After using the terminal, you'll gain a debuff that prevents you from using it again for one minute.

THERE IS NO WEIRD TERMINAL TO BE SEEN BUT I STILL HAVE A USE PROMPT
The alchemist has slotted the talent that allows their terminal to be used at range. This is good. Follow instructions above.

I HAVE A PROMPT TELLING ME TO TRANSFORM
The alchemist is using Massive Transformation, which allows the whole party to turn into punchmonsters. You lose your skills for the duration, but gain a massive damage buff and get to punch the boss to death. It's up to you. You can drop the transform at any time if you think you're going to die.

THE ALCHEMIST IS SOARING THROUGH THE AIR GIVING EVERYONE A GOLDEN SHOWER
You are being healed. Stand under the alchemist and their piss will heal you. After being healed this way, you grow sick at the smell of urine and can't be healed by the same skill for five minutes.

THE ALCHEMIST SPUN AROUND ON THE GROUND ONCE AND SPRAYED EVERYONE WITH PISS, BUT DID NOT FLY
Big damage buff for everyone. Attack!

Raiding as an Alchemist

You have two buffs you must keep up on the right targets:
1) Your shield goes on the tank when the tank's shield runs out.
2) Your Stimulant Injector (the skill with the pill-like icon) goes on the burstiest or most damaging DPS in your party.

The second one should be used on cooldown unless you have Energy Shower (your group DPS buff) coming up very soon and you want to compound it.

(feel free to steal for OP. there are so few competent alch players that nobody knows what to do when grouped with one)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Alch can be talented to make the next cast free, with 15% chance to make two casts free instead.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The key binds for this game are implemented like absolute dogshit.

My understanding is that if you rebind the movement keys away from WASD, the shift-dodge still remains on WASD

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kurieg posted:

About three of my necromancer talents reference abilities I'm reasonably certain I don't actually have.

It took me a really long time to figure out that Deadly Experiment talent on Alch was referring to its execute. :v:

edit - also while we're talking about necromancer, it would be real nice to have a different colour on their health bar when they're in lich form. it's infuriating as a support to be in the thick of things and not be able to figure out immediately if the necro is oh-my-god-please-shield-me dying or nah-bro-it's-cool-i'm-fake dying.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 3, 2015

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

How is Gunner at endgame, anyway?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Clairetic posted:

Word on the street is their sustained damage and survivability is above average but their burst is somewhat lacking compared to other ranged DPS, and more boss mechanics favour burst, but it's not a difference that particularly impacts a raid's ability to finish content - just a question of topping DPS charts.

That said, nobody on NA is actually doing that content yet because it's not even in.

That makes sense, given the class design and how so many of the bosses have invuln phases, shields and other damage gimmicks. Thanks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm playing from Asia on a stable 200-210 ping and it's quite playable.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

So what is the damage rotation for archer in single-target scenarios? I know you're supposed to open with Aimed and then just strip the burn debuff near its end for extra damage, but beyond that I got nothing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

farcry posted:

It takes about 2 mins a run for about 20 sparks try not to shoot yourself god knows how people claim to have capped within 6 hours of launch doing this.

Socks full of poop.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Alch reflect capped at 33% of the alch's max health.

RIP Membrane, you were too good for this world.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Have they talked at all about changing the way trophies are implemented in the RU version?

The current system where you have to manually swap trophy types in and out to fit the mission is clunky as all get out.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Slaan posted:

Good. It's my life's dream to be a Punchomancer. :911:

The first time you punch-o-mance your burst with Alchemist buffs on you will probably be pretty orgasmic

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I've reset and selected 5 symbols twice now, it still shows the exclamation point.

I have the same problem. I've filled all my symbol slots and the ! mark is still there.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Obscurity posted:

I just want 2 specs so I can not fail on pve Necro in pvp

It's an especially egregious omission in Skyforge because some skills and talents are straight up designed for PvP and function strictly worse or are useless in PvE.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Slaan posted:

I've only done the 3 mans so far. So maybe it changes once you start with 5 mans. But I'm noticing that 3dps clears stuff faster in 3 persons at least.

Your first five-man will probably be an eye-opener.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I want people like that in my 10v10s so they end faster

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

With alchemist you just swap the mouse mashing for the mashing of the ooze key. It's not much better

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, I'm exaggerating for effect. There's going to be mashing either way, though.

Don't you have to mash during gunner's plasma phase, too?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's not really like any of those. The closest analog I can think of is PSO2 - run a bunch of instances, gain stats and gear, run the same instances at a higher difficulty for more stats and gear. You will be running some of this poo poo tens of times over.

Just like PSO2 you'll be running plenty of the squad adventures solo too :v:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I would genuinely be surprised if the events landed with any significant changes to their mechanics. But I'm a cynic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

How much could they reasonably change about the mechanics of the event, really?

US side certainly isn't going to write new code. They'll just localise it and call it a day. The most you might see are numerical tweaks.

• Locked thread