Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I just spent 20 minutes soloing the last 50% health of a boss because the melee got killed by a hitscan laser and the boss didn't even drop loot

Is basically every dungeon except for the first four capped by a boss full of stupid mechanics that punish even the slightest bit of inattention with instant death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RottenK posted:

what boss are you talking about?

Neptulos or Aquatos or something, water god, floats around on a damage reduction shield that goes down when he summons adds. In his second phase he fires an instant kill laser whenever he manages to float his way into melee with someone. Unfortunately it's bugged or something right now so if there's someone in melee beating on him during his burn phase, he will announce the end of his burn phase by instantly lasering them in the face. At least according to the two templar I was grouped with who died to instant lasers to the face.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Morglon posted:

It... doesn't though?

Sure seemed like it to me, regardless after the 5th attempt when they were still getting themselves killed by stupid poo poo I decided to just try soloing it after they died. Unfortunately I'm still a Cryo and didn't really have much in the way of on-demand burst besides pre-casting white-out, mashing the Icy comet key, followed by jagged shards and dashing out of the way as soon as he started moving again.

I've almost unlocked necromancer though.

Soon, very soon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FelixReynolds posted:

Well, am a refugee from Neverwinter at the moment and have heard good thing, so going to be trying out my hand at starter level Frozone and MMO KotL this weekend while skulking around Mumble. Have to say so far have absolutely loved how ridiculous the feel of the game is just in how you can get your character to look.

Also, ty to someone further up for the promo key, I assume that basically makes me an invicible killing machine for the next 14 days after which life will be hell, yes?

It increases the amount of drops you get by 50%, and lets you teleport around exploration zones for free.

Note that what replace experience points are a drop in this game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Liberatore posted:

Probably because of the content drop. It was released not long after the RU version went into open beta, and that poo poo takes a while to be localized. They of course couldn't release any more patches until that was done. Their plan is to catch up to the RU version and then stay in sync, and it looks like this patch will achieve this, or at least be pretty close.

Hopefully they take another pass at some of the translations and maybe, just maybe, include information on some of the passive buffs and executes do.

About three of my necromancer talents reference abilities I'm reasonably certain I don't actually have.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So i fully mastered a class and it informed me that I now have 2 more trait slots open to me. Unfortunately it is continuing to inform me of this 3 days later.

How do i turn off the red exclamation point this time?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Krakatoah posted:

Did you check your symbol slots? You should've gotten two extra from mastering a class.

Yeah, I've reset and selected 5 symbols twice now, it still shows the exclamation point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Necro is an okay ranged DPS, though you're rooted when doing your rotations unlike other classes. The majority of your rotation is keeping up plague and hellfire and using your statue to summon a boosted carrion and chuck a skull. You can chuck additional skulls between cycles but the primary thing you're trying to avoid is going below 0% health while you have a statue up, teleporting back to your statue eats up precious lich time and also screws up your health regen.

But, if you manage to get an execute off, for 11 seconds you are a face melting golden god that no one else can even approach.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Archer is basically a straight shot from the starting point to the class spark point. All of the talents are on optional branches that you can get later once you have the growth sparks to spare.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

also 5 mans only give universal sparks, they don't give class specific sparks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sash23-83 posted:

They don't change classes once one is selected and will stick around for about a day. Same with generic x2 and x3 bonuses.

I really hate that the "Do X as class Y" bonus forces you to do it solo and forces you to use the promo build even if you have the class unlocked.

If you have all the abilities that the promo build would give you already unlocked, it will let you use your currently defined set.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Heh, seems so. Apparently other players are terrible since those squad missions are piss easy to solo?

doing it 3 man scales up the difficulty.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MSM is an object lesson where tanks need to learn how to rotate shields long enough to survive the add wave, that the DPS needs to learn how to burst AOE to beat.

Every group dungeon after MSM has been fun and nowhere near as soul sucking.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dead on Arrival posted:

So my account has been banned for 100 years apparently. Where on their poo poo website do I go to talk to someone about this? I see forum banning, but nothing for the game itself.

The hell did you do?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Slaan posted:

Solo kinetic is easy, though? I only really have problems with bosses that have high auto-attack damage, like phytos. In which case I can switch out to LB quickly.

What does the pally symbol do anyways? Almost maxed my lightbringer so might as well as begin on Pally with the extra shards when I go support.
Once every ninety seconds it will negate a hit that would have done more than ten percent of your health in damage, and make you immune to damage entirely for four seconds.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I wouldn't mind MSM if it didn't keep on getting my tablet/ring drops for the day.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah what? No, Grinding out class sparks is already the most ridiculous thing ever. Them only upping the cap for you but still requiring you to do the same drat thing over and over and over and over and over again? gently caress no.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes but the point is that increasing the cap without increasing the rewards is not the way you help new players. That's still punishing them for not having bought the game at the start. You need to do both. And spark replicators don't count because the only reliable way to get them without grinding out zones is to buy them from the shop.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I stopped playing neverwinter shortly after rage of the dragons, or whichever one included dragonborn.

One of the problems with Neverwinter is that, as evidenced in that post, it's ludicriously easy to exploit astral diamonds for people who know what to do at the right time, at the point of release of Dragonborn, they had recently had an exploit that allowed a certain portion of the playerbase to generate near infinite astral diamonds. So when they released Dragonborn, it was in a "Money Only" pack that was also labeled as A) Cheaper before release and B) will never be put up for astral diamonds. Since I was currently stuck at my parents place for a few months and since Neverwinter was the only MMO my laptop could play without overheating, I figured what the hell and pre-ordered dragonmans.

Once the patch released, the price not only did not go up, it went down, and went up for astral diamonds. People rightly complained on the forums, but there was basically no response from Arc and a lot of people either A: making fun of people who actually bought it rather than using exploited diamonds like the cool kids or B: Defending arc for lying because "They're a business and they'll do whatever it takes to make money."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neverwinter's combat was good because they codified abilities hard. You had two things you could use whenever, three things that were on cooldowns, and two abilities that keyed off of a shared resource you got by performing your role well. But most of the options in the game were either trap choices or illusions of choice because there were clear winners in almost every single category that even casual observation could pick out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I remember doing dungeons as a GWF in neverwinter right up until some dungeon where the final boss was a dragon on top of a broken tower. By the time I could get to the boss, I had to run back out because the ground was covered in about 5 different AOE warnings, once those expired and i got back to the boss, the pattern repeated.

Apparently my job as a melee DPS was to sit there and look ugly while the wizards won the day. That was the last dungeon I did.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Someone mentioned that you don't unlock them until 60k or higher.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So how do you get mechanoid sparks and ether cores? I got a bunch of cores in my first dungeon of the day but now I've gotten nothing since then. and I randomly got 100 mechanoid sparks but nothing on subsequent runs in mechanoid dungeons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That you still have to pay money into for a chance at getting it to open.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This is how you're intended to unlock it without just outright buying it. They said at some point in the future it will go up on the shop. Not sure for how much.

I'm not sure if they're going to do that with double chapels or the massive dps increase sigil.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Or just modify the RNG so that 10s and 20s are more common and 1s and 2s are basically nonexistant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There are tiers and brackets?
:psyduck:

I thought it was just 'Do a thing, get some points, get enough points and you get sparks'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I imagine the Mechanoid atlas isn't going anywhere, and we'll probably start getting sparks for it again once the next invasion rolls around.

The alternative is that these are one-time rewards and the only way you can get them is by grinding like an industrial diamond cutter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Does logging in via the portal extend it? Or am I going to have to install skyforge on my lovely travel laptop while I'm in the hospital just to up my cap?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They might not understand how your mechanics work, or it just might be that they don't have all their really good abilities and talents yet. Punchyfists is one of the last things Kinetic gets, same with Autoloader for Archer. Just stand near them and do your thing and your passive auras will make everyone better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

How long does the buff last? Witchalocks have a pretty fast cycle between their "Not doing much damage" and "Doing all of the damage" phases, so if you're injecting them regularly they can probably manage their own cycles.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Anomalies are so poorly designed. It's like they were actively trying to make them as unenjoyable as possible.
"Oh hey you need purple sparks to progress, hope you have 5 hours to spare."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I did a bunch of dungeons that said they were rewarding tactical sense last week and got absolutely nothing. Is there a bug? is there something else I need to be doing?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So how do you get Tactical sense then? Only from the 10 man?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

:psyduck:
Doing a 10 man to unlock harder versions of a 5 man is the most ludicrously backwards game design in a game full of ludicrously backwards game design.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah the game really needs a critical mass of players in the guild to function properly. The fact that everyone at god-level and above is basically ignoring the group finder doesn't help.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Do we lose our invasion talents/triumph square when we switch guilds?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Surprisingly no, it's more the weekly progress gating combined with the fact that there's very little to do at god level without guildmates means that each week more people ascend to godhood, realize they can't do anything unless more people are gods, and stop playing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's surprisingly not that bad now that I've run them, as the 10 mans only take about 30-40 minutes to run once the group is formed.

The game is basically still in beta, there's a lot of QOL changes they need to make. What's heartening is that they're actually starting to make a few of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The issue is that "Saving Money" means that you aren't spending it on upgrading ether nodes or temples or your weapon/ring/accessory things. And while there's catch-up mechanics for your spark caps, there isn't one for your credit caps.

Because they want you to spend real money to get those credits.

• Locked thread