Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I've found that the lowest quality weather effects actually slow my system down much more than the medium quality ones. After increasing the detail for weather effects I find it's much faster than with low quality. No idea why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007

dsriggs posted:

My godawful graphics card cannot handle the rain. L a g g y!

If you have a crappy card make sure the weather graphics are on medium or high. For some reason the ultra low quality weather slows mine way down and it's much faster with the more detailed rain.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I thought it was just me but the 2000 focus seems way faster. Maybe it needs a certain setup or something?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Just finished the Finland event. It's amazing how the high speed stages feel really smooth and flowing but terrifying at the same time. I'd like to see the same group of stages with group b rwd cars for maximum butt-clenching at some point.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I haven't had any problems with the auto repair so far. I do adjust it occasionally but it's pretty rare. One thing you can do is take extra repairs in exchange for a time penalty. I remember doing that at least once.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
You can see friend's times. Also be sure to JOIN THE DIRTYGOONS LEAGUE HERE

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
EDIT: WARNING: I think this might sometimes reset your control preferences, at least that seems to be what just happened to me.

I think this might have been posted before, but i only just found out about it so I thought I'd share. There's a really easy way to use any car on any track. This youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7aKz1J37Bo has the instructions in the description. I've had a lot of fun taking a 037 up Pike's Peak and using the S1 quattro on Col de Turini (codriver doesn't work for that one sadly).

Here's what I did to get rally cars on Pike's Peak:
  • Go to C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\tracks\locations.
  • Open up the usa folder and copy the pikes_peak folder.
  • I decided I'd replace Monaco, so next open the france folder.
  • Paste pikes_peaks into that then rename col_de_turini_rally_01 to something like col_de_turini_rally_01_bak.
  • Rename pikes_peak to col_de_turini_rally_01
  • Now open the game and start a custom rally event in Monaco and pick Pra d'Alart.

To get everything back to normal just delete the col_de_turini_rally_01 folder and rename col_de_turini_rally_01_bak to col_de_turini_rally_01.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 31, 2016

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I think you can abandon the championship and start a new one with the mini if you have to. Personally I'd recommend just spending some more time with the RWD cars. Try a few custom events with things like the 131 and Alpine. I find you just have to start out by going really slow and focus on learning how to not crash. Once you do that you can start getting faster as you learn what you can and can't do. Also the assists can actually make things harder to learn so try turning them off for a while

Edit: I think the Alpine is a bit OP. On Finland I just hit a bank and rolled the car six times and still came in two seconds ahead of the master AI.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 17, 2016

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Yeah I didn't get the setup page on the first stage either.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I only managed one barrel roll, and I didn't even have to reset. I'm probably last place in style points by now :(

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I'd love to see a RWD based event. Also have we done group A lately?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
The thing about Sweden that always gets me is the transition from slushy / greasy melted snow to hard packed snow. It's always more abrupt that I realize and I often overshoot corners because of it.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
For me it's the feeling of being pushed along rather than being pulled or dragged. Not that I dislike FWD and AWD, I just really love RWD.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Have you tried the clutch override button? I've been using it on my xbox one controller and it's pretty helpful.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007

SinineSiil posted:

Why does my car sometimes stall like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7erG4OxTkY

Are you using a wheel with a clutch pedal? It looks a lot like you're stepping on the breaks while in the air and if the car is in gear it will stall. In real life leaving the car in gear would let it start again as soon as you hit the ground just like pushing it down a hill in gear if your starter is broken. I've heard people complain that the game doesn't let the car restart for some reason.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I wanted to share a great little moment I just experienced. My cousin asked me to watch her son for a few hours (I think he's like 9 or 10). I let him loose on my steam account and after going through a few other games we got to dirt rally. First I asked if he wanted a race on pavement or on dirt and he picked dirt which made me quite happy. Next I went to the car selection screen and let him have the controller. He scrolled all the way up to the 2010s before coming back and stopping on the 70s and commenting "that looks like a cool car." I tried to let him know about each of the different 70s cars but he just immediately cycled though the cars until he saw the Stratos again and said "I want that one, how do I pick it?" I was so very proud :kimchi: He mostly drove it off cliffs and into bushes and rocks, but he seemed to have fun. Maybe he'll even listen to my advice about slowing down a little someday. So I guess the moral of the story is that even kids who have never played a rally game before know the Stratos is the coolest car.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Once you feel comfortable with the Stratos, experience the whole thing over again with the 037.

The funny thing is, for me the RWD cars are the fun ones. It's interesting how different personal preferences on this are. For me I think part of the reason I like RWD is that I've been driving RWD cars for close to 15 years now through New England winters, so it just feels "right". I'm curious what other people's experiences are, do you prefer the same drive train as your real cars or do other things influence your feelings?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Looks like there was an event in London where some games journalists got to try out DIRT 4. A couple videos were posted over on reddit. The people posting it admitted they didn't know much about the DIRT series, but it's still pretty good info.
15 minutes of gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWXaJYQkiM
Early Impressions:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1R5erH4Rew

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I'm glad they admitted they didn't know much about it. It's a nice change from that PC Gamer review a while back.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I'm eagerly awaiting the first video of someone flipping at the finish line then sliding up to the marshal on their roof.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Here's someone who went to the event and actually knows something about the game. Unfortunately he barely took any video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_iflGzQAA

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
There's a pretty extensive Q&A on reddit with Paul Coleman. Things are sounding really good so far. https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/5rnuqk/im_paul_coleman_chief_games_designer_for_dirt_4/

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
Some guys just put up a video of the first hour and a half of Dirt 4 gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9dwVOCXSM

Edit: I'm really impressed by the stage generator. I only noticed a little repetition on the Michigan one. This makes me feel a lot better about losing the custom recorded co-driver notes for each stage.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 19, 2017

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007

cowboy elvis posted:

Dirt 4 is 46 bucks shipped for Amazon Prime members. Console only probably.

The PC version is 48 on green man gaming. I think it only shows up if you're "vip" which just means you need to register an account.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
My favorite little thing so far is that when you're in the free roam at dirtfish you can change your car's tuning on the fly while driving. I've already learned so much and I still have several tabs of stuff to experiment with. I also really like the Spain stages. To me the tarmac feels great and I've done better there with the 037 than I have in Michigan with any of the FWD cars they start you with. That could just be me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007

Qmass posted:

Getting real tired of the baseline tunes in this game. Some cars aren't too far off and a little diff tweaking goes a long way. Other cars, like the integrale on wales in the rain is so unresponsive its infuriating and I don't know enough about tuning to do anything with it.

I've been struggling with setup too. One thing that helped a bit was finding out that the default tuning for all the cars was intended to be very "safe" and favor understeer. I also found softening the springs made things easier (maybe because I'm on a gamepad?) but that might also cause them to break more often I think.

• Locked thread