Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Great Joe posted:

I love his accent, though I do wonder how much of it is put on.
All of it. He's doing an extremely over the top Finnish rally driver impression and it's clearly fake as gently caress. Still pretty funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Triple A posted:

I don't think he's faking it. Have a music video he made few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABgSzsPGDc
Art.

He's done some other videos where he speaks English, and while he has a noticeable Finnish accent it's nowhere near as... rallienglanti as in the My Summer Car videos and he doesn't gently caress up the pronunciation of every other word.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

This game is fantastic. Bought it last night and disabled all assists as soon as I started playing (here in Finland it should be illegal to play racing games with assists on), and even though it's balls hard it's also immensely satisfying when you get the car to the end of a stage in one piece and maybe get a decent result (at this point I'm mostly getting 2nds and 3rds unless I gently caress up horribly). It's giving me the same vibes as Grand Prix Legends, and that is a good thing because I love that game.

Now I just need to play this with a wheel, the Xbone controller works well enough but it's just not the same. I have a Driving Force GT lying around, but found out I need to get a new ring wrench to be able to set up my wheel stand. :downs:

edit: aw, I found a realistic damage mod but it apparently doesn't work with the current version.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 4, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Now that I've got my wheel set up again, is there a recommended FFB profile for us poors with Driving Force GTs?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm pretty good at this rally thing, check out that split time :smug: (the actual gap to the community delta was only about 22 seconds) Also, reaching out to the keyboard next to me and taking my eyes off the road might not have been the best idea, but I didn't crash! Well, not there at least. I did have a brief meeting with a rock a bit later, which caused my exhaust to almost fall off but whatever.

By the way, if you like Dirt Rally and don't have a racing wheel, stop what you're doing and go buy a racing wheel. Playing this game on a wheel (even a cheaper one like the DFGT), instead of a gamepad elevates it from "really loving intense" to "the scariest game ever made", and I haven't even touched the Group B cars yet. :stonklol: I love it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hm, after sampling the Group B cars and spending more time in the woods and upside down than on the course, I'm finding the Lancia Stratos quite pleasant by comparison. I mean, it still occasionally tries to murder me by veering into the nearest roadside object, but it doesn't seem to consistently hate me like the Group B cars. I've played my share of Sega Rally, so I was expecting far worse from the Stratos.

I also turned the HUD off because I kept getting distracted by the split times and the progress meter. ("Oh poo poo, I'm so far behind and the stage is almost over, gotta go faster" *goes way too fast and wraps car around a tree*) Actually listening to the pace notes will take some getting used to, but I'm not doing that much worse than I was before.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh hey, that Sebastien Loeb Rally game has the 1992-93 Celica GT-Four even though Toyota's supposed to be a dick about licensing. I want a Celica in Dirt Rally :saddowns:

edit: actually I want the entire car selection from that game in Dirt Rally, and the visual damage doesn't look too bad either. The game itself seems kind of... eh. I haven't played it myself, but the driving just looks floaty. Of course it's far from finished, so maybe they'll sort things out.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 6, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I figured that might be the case. The Celica isn't my all-time favorite or anything, but I do have a ton of nostalgia for all the early 90s rally cars because I was a huge rally fan as a kid (back then I liked it just as much as F1 but eventually just stopped caring) and I want to drive all of them in a good game. :shobon:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My very first stage win! And I did it in a Delta S4 of all things. :getin:

Since this was just me doing a single-stage event to check out the Martini livery I downloaded, I also got the "win event with no assists and no HUD" achievement. :toot:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Holy poo poo, I won one of the Greece stages by 48 seconds. My first time driving the stage, too. :dogbutton: I have zero clue how that happened, even taking to account the fact a few of the faster AI drivers crashed out.

It was the last stage in the rally and I jumped from 4th or 5th to 2nd, and if I hadn't totally hosed up on the first stage (gently caress you co-driver, none of those corners are 5 or 6) I'd have won the event.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Kennel posted:

Anime liveries.
There are already mods for that. :unsmigghh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jehde posted:

Censored versions of Martini liveries show up in a few games too, like Gran Turismo.
Sega Rally had the real one, none of that "Lancia Racing" crap. Of course, if you were playing the Saturn version you generally couldn't tell what the blob of pixels said anyway. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jehde posted:

I also suspect that because of the success of Dirt Rally, that the rally portion of Dirt 4 will try to copy the Dirt Rally formula as much as it can, essentially letting people play Dirt 4 as a Dirt Rally 2 if they wanted, just with more fluff around the edges for the more casual players.
:stonk:

Uh, no thanks. I like Dirt Rally because it has nothing to do with regular Dirt aside from the name, and I hope they're kept as far from each other as possible. Sure, they can try to cater to both the sim audience and the more casual arcade-style racing crowd, but that is usually a really bad idea and ends up pleasing nobody. Just keep Dirt 4 as the more accessible general off-road/X-Games/Ken Block/YEAH BRO SICK JUMPS game and keep Dirt Rally as a separate product for those who just want a hardcore rally sim and don't care about any of that other crap (I don't even care about rallycross, so that can be crammed into regular Dirt). Maybe change the name to distance it from the regular Dirt games.

Jehde posted:

vvv I see people still have PTSD from Dirt 2. I don't think you quite grasp what I'm hoping for, or even understand the recent history of the Dirt series.
I assumed you were hoping for Dirt Rally 2 inside Dirt 4. I'm hoping for Dirt Rally 2 outside Dirt 4, because even if they copy Dirt Rally wholesale and let you configure all the realism settings for the rally portion to be as punishing as possible, it'll still just be a portion of a Dirt game. I'd rather have another game focusing on the rallying because I don't care about any of that other stuff. Just a personal preference thing.

And yes, I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with the Dirt series' recent history, aside from the fact Dirt Rally reuses a bunch of cars and assets from Dirt 3 (is that even a fact or did I somehow make it up?). I realized after Dirt 2 that the series wasn't for me and Dirt 3 didn't seem like it would change that, so I didn't really pay attention until Dirt Rally showed up.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 7, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jehde posted:

What I was getting at was that hopefully you could play the rally portions the same that you would Dirt Rally, and it would be no different to what Dirt Rally 2 would be. Or people that would like to play the game more casually could turn on rewinds, assists, turn down AI, whatever, and maybe have another mode to play with (Personally I'd like to see the return of Dakar trucks). I understand just wanting a hardcore focused experience and nothing else, but Dirt Rally already exists. I honestly consider it complete and I'll be happy to play it for years to come. All that's really needed is longer/more tracks, we already got basically all the cars and features we wanted.
Gotcha. Yeah, I can understand that and I agree that Dirt Rally only really needs more rallies and longer stages. But since it appears we're not getting that, I'd rather get Dirt Rally 2 instead of Dirt 4 even if the latter doesn't have any of the X-Games/gymkhana/etc stuff. Now, if Dirt 4 actually had the rallying as its main mode and the other off-road racing disciplines like trucks or buggies or whatever were completely optional like Dirt Rally's rallycross and hillclimb events, I'd be totally down with that.

quote:

One important entry to the series you may not be aware of is Dirt Showdown. It was released right after Dirt 3 and was just all the X games, Gymkhana and other dumb poo poo as its own spinoff game. It bombed pretty hard. Dirt Rally was the other half of the experimental spinoffs and was hugely successful.
I knew Showdown was a thing but didn't know how it did sales-wise. From what I've seen it seems like a fun enough game that isn't even trying to be anything but silly arcade racing and crashing with a bit of gymkhana bullshit on the side, and I have nothing against that when it's not interfering with my rally game. :v: The presentation is still pretty off-putting, though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You should also tell everyone to stop worrying and learn to love the Stratos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Play Grand Prix Legends :getin:

Sure, they now have those 60s cars in other games that are more realistic and all that (GPL came out in 1998, after all), but GPL also has all the stupid dangerous tracks from that era!

• Locked thread