Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I was pretty happy with being edged out of 1st by 2 seconds... but uh, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm surprised the pike's peak cars are so different. The 205 feels absurdly fast with a twitchy suspension (until you get to the dirt). It has longer gearing but really bad turbo lag. It feels like a challenge to keep it going quickly on the tarmac sections. However, the long gearing lets you get going REALLY fast when you have a straight-ish road ahead of you.

The quattro and 405 feel a lot more modern comparatively. They still have huge amounts of power and you have to manage the weight of the car because of the huge weight transfers you get with aero assisted braking and 600hp, but I can hustle them around the tarmac a lot easier. They seem to have gearing issues though; I'll hit the top of 6th even with a maxed out final drive and 6th gear even when some of the straights give you a few more seconds of going flat out.

Is there anything tuning wise that can be done to make the 205 more behaved on tarmac? The other two just seem boring to drive in comparison, even if I can drive them faster. (disclaimer: I am bad at driving)

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

pik_d posted:

Somewhat low turnout for the Pikes Peak event (~4 hours left), not to surprising because it's much tougher than the other events. I have to admit I had no clue that there wouldn't be pace notes when I set it up.

Anyone else want to setup the next season?

I can do the setup for the next season if you tell me what criteria you were using for picking stages, if any. I've been enjoying the setup so far.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

The league is updated with a new season; the first event goes live tonight at midnight!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

One thing they mentioned in the update yesterday:
"We’ve also added the ability to replace a punctured wheel. Now when you get a puncture you can bring the car to a stop and hold the repair puncture button. This will add a time penalty to your stage time but will mean that you can continue driving the stage without the hindrance."
Which will be a big help. Otherwise, if I'm at the 1st checkpoint of one of the double stages and get a flat, sometimes it's not worth finishing the stage as the car will just get more and more obnoxious to drive.

In other news, tonight's the last night for the first event of the new season, so cruise through it tonight and try not to fly off any cliffs like I did.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Out of Band II posted:

Really liked the kit cars from the league event, so light and fast. I busted out my left headlight on the last stage about a third of the way through which sort of sucked.

The Stratos was one of my favorites too, made me enough money to buy the Lancia Delta, which is amazing.

Yeah the kit cars are fun, but I don't like taking them out on the stages without at least some tarmac. Front wheel drive can be annoying because of how slow the 'fast' line is through turns is, when you are used to the fast awd cars.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

SealHammer posted:

The kit cars are hot garbage, holy gently caress. I wonder if Codies can figure out how to implement front-wheel drive without it being so incredibly awful.

What's so bad about the implementation? The feedback or how they actually drive?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

It looks like the ranking for the WRX League is just based on elapsed time for the final track? Seems like they should be a little more clear about that.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Did a few races last night, I agree it's sorta a poo poo-show. Also annoying that there's no voice options yet (i'd prefer not to have a bunch of people breathing into their mic come out over my speakers). However, pretty fun when you get in a group of people who race relatively clean and know what they're doing. Apparently I'm really bad at rallycross!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Roots Radical posted:

Oh man, Finland is amazing. It's tempting to just floor it all the time, but then you're basically skipping around from crest to crest, not even touching the ground. Then you get a tight corner and retire due to trees. So fun.

I haven't done too many stages yet but that urge to floor it is super tempting. You get lots of air off those jumps and if you didn't listen to the co-driver about where to point off the other end you can get impressive distance into the woods. oops!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

After having not played dirt in a couple weeks, jumping into the e30 on greece is a rude awakening.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

I cannot handle the Stratos in the rain.

Yeah, it was probably a poor choice for this week, oops. There's a few REALLY fast straights that turn into decreasing radius turns and they get hairy in the rain as you struggle to slow down and keep the rear wheels behind the front wheels.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Skwee posted:

Will this effect leaderboards at all?
No, plenty of people use it. All it does is do more finetuned adjustment of the FFB settings.

Also, in this week's league thing: jesus sealhammer, that was a close finish.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Praseodymi posted:

It could be the same problem Arma has with shadows where too-low settings push it onto the CPU.

E: I'm guessing Modern Masters hasn't always been listed as coming out in November? Is it being delayed a few days?

Yea modern masters got pushed back a week I think. It was originally supposed to be out this past Tuesday.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

I want to finish my current championship so I can get away from the 205 and back to the safety of the 70s or 80s cars until i can afford a group A or R4 car.

If you're looking for money, hillclimbs are where it's at. In master's championships, you usually have one race per payout which is a full climb and takes around 10 minutes. If you're happy with the first time, start the second one and then immediately retire. You can make ~100k every 10 minutes or so which is really nice. I don't know why hillclimbs pay out so much quicker than the regular rally championships but I'm not complaining!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Even though 'stage retry' is off in the league, it looks like you can restart each stage by just saving and quitting. Is there a way to turn this off so that the stages act more like the dirt dailies? Or are you able to do this in the dailies as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

I have this season set to allow full rally restarts, I can turn that off for next season. Speaking of which do people want to stick to the changing car class we have now or be able to stick to the same car all the way through the season?

It'd be nice to stick to a car class. Otherwise the first race can be a bit jarring if you chose a class you haven't raced in a while.

• Locked thread