Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Qmass posted:

Yes!

The 205 t16 now looks impossible to drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSGc3PTP3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I want to finish my current championship so I can get away from the 205 and back to the safety of the 70s or 80s cars until i can afford a group A or R4 car.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I finally finished my 90s Championship. gently caress you Impreza, I'd rather drive a Stratos.

The new Citroen is available for the monthly. Wondering if I should go with it.

Edit: In regards to that Peugot 205 video: Holy poo poo that guy is a maniac. He's driving with a wheel right? There's no way that onscreen wheel is accurate, there were a lot of times he almost had his hands to the right and the car would pitch left. Still though, that's insanity.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 4, 2015

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

I want to finish my current championship so I can get away from the 205 and back to the safety of the 70s or 80s cars until i can afford a group A or R4 car.

If you're looking for money, hillclimbs are where it's at. In master's championships, you usually have one race per payout which is a full climb and takes around 10 minutes. If you're happy with the first time, start the second one and then immediately retire. You can make ~100k every 10 minutes or so which is really nice. I don't know why hillclimbs pay out so much quicker than the regular rally championships but I'm not complaining!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

quaunaut posted:

Edit: In regards to that Peugot 205 video: Holy poo poo that guy is a maniac. He's driving with a wheel right? There's no way that onscreen wheel is accurate, there were a lot of times he almost had his hands to the right and the car would pitch left. Still though, that's insanity.

Do all that, with the roads lined up with fans and the cars running 500+ horses. That way, you'll get the authentic 1985 Group B experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bsamu posted:

If you're looking for money, hillclimbs are where it's at. In master's championships, you usually have one race per payout which is a full climb and takes around 10 minutes. If you're happy with the first time, start the second one and then immediately retire. You can make ~100k every 10 minutes or so which is really nice. I don't know why hillclimbs pay out so much quicker than the regular rally championships but I'm not complaining!

Rallycross does the same, 6 races at about 3-4 minutes each pays out the same as a rally event would. I figure they just tied payouts to difficulty regardless of discipline so you're not punished for just sticking to one. Of course the issue I have is getting promoted in hillclimb to begin with because a) I don't really enjoy hillclimb and b) I'm not very good at hillclimb.

Anyway I took what money I had and bought the Opal Kadett because I wanted to run a RWD car for a bit and have the Stratos filed away with the group B cars in the list of cars to drive single stage only. After a run of lower half finishes it feels good to be ranking back in the top 5, and with an un-upgraded car too. Was only 5s off 1st on one stage. Money wise that's easily 95-100k per rally and I'm in a situation where my engineers are starting to have their perk slots unlocked in rapid succession. My 4th just got his 2nd slot and number 5 is gonna have his first slot open pretty soon. Gotta get those super quick upgrades, with the perks I have right now the Kadett is nearly half upgraded after just one rally.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Calling aimbot.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bsamu posted:

Maximum money per time (assuming they didn't patch it, haven't done it since Modern Masters since I already have over 10 million credits sitting there and already own over half the cars) is Custom Championship -> Hillclimb -> Master difficulty -> 4 events with one stage per. Not only do you get a higher reward (133%) than normal Masters Hillclimbs, it doesn't force it to be a full hill climb so you have a decent chance of getting just stage 1/2/3 so you can get ~215,000 credits in ~3 minutes in the ideal case and, unless you really blow it, still ought to manage 150k+ reasonably.

Note 1: It gets super repetitive because the four events are set up so that it just bounces back and forth on the same stage between events. I got stage 3 for way too many of these in a row whilst upgrading the Audi Hillclimb and doing ~16 stage 3's in a row bouncing back and forth between tarmac and dirt was kinda driving me crazy.

Note 2: Abandon the first run as soon as you cross the line. You lose the no-restart bonus if you abandon run on the second, but not if you abandon the first. If you don't use any restarts, congrats, you get 25,000 more credits. If you use them all from having to restart 5+ times to get a reasonable finish, you get the same you would've anyway having a good first run and abandoning the second.

Note 3: I didn't try it, but you ought to be able to make more money doing a Custom Championship Rallycross as well (can get it to show 100% reward despite having less laps for heats and whatnot so it'll take less time). Rallycross is also more fun/has more variety than Hillclimb so that's a bonus.

njsykora posted:

Rallycross does the same, 6 races at about 3-4 minutes each pays out the same as a rally event would. I figure they just tied payouts to difficulty regardless of discipline so you're not punished for just sticking to one. Of course the issue I have is getting promoted in hillclimb to begin with because a) I don't really enjoy hillclimb and b) I'm not very good at hillclimb.
The AI on Hillclimb seems easier than any other in my experience. Once you know the course, it's not too tough for me (with a mostly upgraded car) to blow even Master AI by nearly 30 seconds over the full course.

Triple A posted:

Do all that, with the roads lined up with fans and the cars running 500+ horses. That way, you'll get the authentic 1985 Group B experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU
Watching a rally in person seems like it'd be really unfun anyway (only get to see a single small section of the race unless it was a special circuit stage/good vantage point on a mountain like probably exist on Monaco/Col de Turini); probably necessary to stand in the road and maybe get maimed by a racecar to make it more lively.

Also probably unnerving as a driver to part a sea of human beings in the off chance one of them doesn't move in time. Think it was linked over in the general sim racing thread not too long ago of a guy doing a large street circuit in Ireland stating how worried he was about screwing up in the town portion with crowds of people lining the road and they weren't even standing in it like old school rally.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I am doing the current rally and I don't understand how people are getting over a minute on me. Like I am not going into trees or stopping my car, I am driving normally and fairly consistently and I have +1 minute on stage one and stage two.

Sure I am not at all comfortable with the car since I have never driven it before, but I don't think I am going THAT slow..

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Skwee posted:

I am doing the current rally and I don't understand how people are getting over a minute on me. Like I am not going into trees or stopping my car, I am driving normally and fairly consistently and I have +1 minute on stage one and stage two.

Sure I am not at all comfortable with the car since I have never driven it before, but I don't think I am going THAT slow..

driving normally is not driving fast hth

alr
May 14, 2009

Skwee posted:

Watching youtubes of people driving cars around courses I thought I was familiar with made me realise I have like half a second or more to make up on every corner. I was wondering how my "perfect" runs were so far off the top spots (45 seconds-ish on the 6 minute stages) until I realised just how much of the track you have to use to really keep that exit speed up

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

alr posted:

Watching youtubes of people driving cars around courses I thought I was familiar with made me realise I have like half a second or more to make up on every corner. I was wondering how my "perfect" runs were so far off the top spots (45 seconds-ish on the 6 minute stages) until I realised just how much of the track you have to use to really keep that exit speed up
I think this is what is good about the 1960s cars. Since they accelerate poorly and can basically hold the gas full down the whole time because its not THAT fast, you have a little more time to set up your line and really flick the nose into a turn, which trains you to do the same thing with a high speed powerslide.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 5, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm learning a lot of that track positioning stuff driving the Kadett and its making me so much faster and consistent. As well as just making the Greece stages more tolerable.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Another huge win is learning what parts of a stage the game calls either incorrectly, not at all, or optimistically. These kinds of corners completely throw off my rhythm, and are such a buzz kill.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Ganondork posted:

Another huge win is learning what parts of a stage the game calls either incorrectly, not at all, or optimistically. These kinds of corners completely throw off my rhythm, and are such a buzz kill.

Greece downhill, entering the valley with the trees on the outside of the cliff of the track. Right 4 is actually a right 2 at best.

But yeah- when I was still doing 1960s I didn't think the racing line mattered as much. Once I made it to Group Bs and beyond, the racing line is God. Now, when I *am* taking my sweet time, I'm only ~15 seconds off the world record in some vehicles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think I finally hit the point where everything clicked (after logging 37 hours on track) and I managed to finish 2nd on a Welsh rally. That Kadett, seriously feels amazing once you know how to make it do what you want.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It's the same rule as in every form of racing; the slower it looks and feels, the faster you probably are. If you're always on the ragged edge it feels fast, but you are more likely to crash and no faster

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can totally get behind this. I just finished my first rally with the Stratos and I felt like I was driving so slow but ended up 4th even with a couple of wash outs. I just focussed on keeping my line and not letting the car oversteer.

Am I a bad person for using an external view? I have that and the hud on. Also the calls seem to be a little early, which option do I want to change?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It's something that oval racing in iracing helped me get, because to get around some of the tracks quickly you have to drive quite slowly and it feels odd

I use a wheel so the cockpit view is mandatory for me especially now the in game wheel matches mine perfectly, and as much as camera is something that is a personal preference thing I've never been able to understand playing a sim game like this from an external cam. There's a setting for pace note calls in the profile menu; again it's personal preference but I find that the game is almost unplayable at anything later than "early"; any later and you get the note pretty much as you need to start reacting to it rather than a bit before

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Am I a bad person for using an external view? I have that and the hud on. Also the calls seem to be a little early, which option do I want to change?
If that external view is chase, then yes and you're losing a ton of time to boot. If it's hood, then that's not awful. I eventually moved onto driver cam and would recommend it, but I won't shame hood.

If they're too early on normal call timing, then you should go faster. Think it's in Preferences; most people seem to prefer the "Early" setting because in some places the standard call timing is too late.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I can totally get behind this. I just finished my first rally with the Stratos and I felt like I was driving so slow but ended up 4th even with a couple of wash outs. I just focussed on keeping my line and not letting the car oversteer.

If you're using a pad then external is fine, if you have a wheel then at least try the cockpit view out, especially now you can move your seat around and the visual wheel works. HUD is purely preference, but I run with everything off except pace notes because the timer kinda distracts me and makes me conscious about my speed which makes me drive bad and in cockpit view I don't need the dials up.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

If you're using a pad then external is fine, if you have a wheel then at least try the cockpit view out, especially now you can move your seat around and the visual wheel works. HUD is purely preference, but I run with everything off except pace notes because the timer kinda distracts me and makes me conscious about my speed which makes me drive bad and in cockpit view I don't need the dials up.

Yeah I'm using a pad; ego restored. I just like seeing the cars slide and get dirty.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

IceAgeComing posted:

It's the same rule as in every form of racing; the slower it looks and feels, the faster you probably are. If you're always on the ragged edge it feels fast, but you are more likely to crash and no faster

Yeah that is what I was trying to say when I said driving consistently and "Normally" I meant I wasn't driving recklessly in order to try and go faster

also I use dash cam rather than seat cam since I can't really see the dials and I like to be able to see more by being closer to the window

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Even though 'stage retry' is off in the league, it looks like you can restart each stage by just saving and quitting. Is there a way to turn this off so that the stages act more like the dirt dailies? Or are you able to do this in the dailies as well?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bsamu posted:

Even though 'stage retry' is off in the league, it looks like you can restart each stage by just saving and quitting. Is there a way to turn this off so that the stages act more like the dirt dailies? Or are you able to do this in the dailies as well?

I have this season set to allow full rally restarts, I can turn that off for next season. Speaking of which do people want to stick to the changing car class we have now or be able to stick to the same car all the way through the season?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I like being able to wipe my entire progress for a certain rally within a season. It's the only way that I restart a stage, by restarting the entire rally. It adds more weight to the decision. The problem is being able to cheat the system and just quit the stage and start from the beginning of the stage. I am not sure changing any settings will effect that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Interesting thing in the new Road Book, since they're doing loads of snow physics stuff to make snow banks work properly for Sweden they're going to be implementing those physics into the Monte Carlo stages so you'll be able to drive into roadside snow drifts instead of being launched over the side of the road and ending the rally by them.

Also a thing that happened to me running a Finland rally earlier, if you lose your tire the wheel will only go so long before suffering a critical failure and forcing a retirement. So if you lose a tire (not just a puncture, lose the whole tire) you're basically on a timer to either finish the stage or lose the whole wheel.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 6, 2015

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Good, that will make Monte Carlo better. The snowbanks made out of concrete were my least favorite thing about that place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Triple A posted:

Good, that will make Monte Carlo better. The snowbanks made out of concrete were my least favorite thing about that place.

Apparently they were using the Dirt 3 physics for those originally, and by their own admission the Dirt 3 physics were Not Good.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why is going off-track in Monte Carlo so unforgiving/inconsistent with other tracks? :argh:

There are much much worse falls in Greece that won't end the run.

Also how to I drive this Lancia around tight hard surface corners without car almost dying? It's either turn too much and car dies or turn too little and end the run due falling off track.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Interesting thing in the new Road Book, since they're doing loads of snow physics stuff to make snow banks work properly for Sweden they're going to be implementing those physics into the Monte Carlo stages so you'll be able to drive into roadside snow drifts instead of being launched over the side of the road and ending the rally by them.
Excellent news.

SinineSiil posted:

Why is going off-track in Monte Carlo so unforgiving/inconsistent with other tracks? :argh:

There are much much worse falls in Greece that won't end the run.

Also how to I drive this Lancia around tight hard surface corners without car almost dying? It's either turn too much and car dies or turn too little and end the run due falling off track.
You're falling into a ravine with a bridge over it. There's no feasible way to get back up to the roadway so it DQs you.

With Group B, you'd be surprised at your ability to climb back up hills on Greece/Wales without needing a reset, let alone it DQing you.

The 60's cars are pretty much all about flooring it as much as possible without crashing. If you're crashing, floor it a little less.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

I have this season set to allow full rally restarts, I can turn that off for next season. Speaking of which do people want to stick to the changing car class we have now or be able to stick to the same car all the way through the season?

It'd be nice to stick to a car class. Otherwise the first race can be a bit jarring if you chose a class you haven't raced in a while.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Thanks for the tip about farming credits on hill climb. I actually had a lot of fun doing it and I'm way better at hairpins now.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Third for the second time in a row on Open Championship, I'm bad at this game. I'm going to attempt my third try with the Audi even though I should probably stick with the Stratos given the upgrades.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Granite Octopus posted:

Thanks for the tip about farming credits on hill climb. I actually had a lot of fun doing it and I'm way better at hairpins now.

I'm using the Audi and I'm finding that dropping down to 1st gear and taking the apex of the hairpin smoothly is better than using handbrake. This is for tarmac. On dirt it's balls to the wall sliding everywhere.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Going into the final week of the current season, I set up a poll for voting on the car class used for the next season. The class will remain the same throughout the season, so people can get comfortable with a car and not keep having to hop around. I'd like to know any other stuff people want for the new season. I'm actually going to put some effort into this season so it's not as poorly laid out as this one has been.

However I reserve the right to throw in a Pikes Peak run as a mid-season thing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 9, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Halo14 posted:

I'm using the Audi and I'm finding that dropping down to 1st gear and taking the apex of the hairpin smoothly is better than using handbrake. This is for tarmac. On dirt it's balls to the wall sliding everywhere.
2nd gear in most post-80's cars (seems most cars with 6 gears have 1st ratioed to exclusively be for dead-stop situations) is good for hairpins/acutes where you keep your speed up enough that you aren't outside the power band for 2nd. As long as your hairpins aren't dropping you below ~15 MPH and/or letting the turbo pressure drop off, remaining in 2nd is likely faster since 1st has such a small acceleration window before you have to upshift (especially in Hillclimb cars), costing you more time than the slightly slower acceleration.*

Not sure which is definitively faster, but, yeah, I try to avoid using the handbrake on tarmac except as an "oh poo poo" when you started braking too late; coincidentally, these are the only opportunities I find myself occasionally using 1st in most later generation cars since it is faster to get going again if you end up dead stopping it or even drifting backwards under momentum from spinning it around so quick.

* When I first swapped from auto transmission that dropped to 1st on hairpins to manual where I kept it in 2nd, I was doing Hillclimb in the Audi and I was able to trim off ~3 seconds in the first sector of the third stage (think I went from ~51 seconds to ~48 seconds over the ~handful of hairpins in that sector).

Red_Fred posted:

Third for the second time in a row on Open Championship, I'm bad at this game. I'm going to attempt my third try with the Audi even though I should probably stick with the Stratos given the upgrades.
Doing Custom Championship? If you're top 3, you should be moving up a difficulty for normal Championships; correspondingly, you only move down a difficulty if you place bottom three.

If you're doing Custom, you might get more money doing a higher difficulty even if you're getting a worse position since there's more credits floating around and bumping up difficulty seems reasonable anyway since you're placing in a difficulty-bump-up position based on the normal Championships.

Doing bad relative to AI without upgrades is normal (some cars are better than others sans upgrades... AI times seem balanced around them being always fully upgraded); don't stress about not being able to place top spots with an unupgraded car.

Also: I wouldn't convolve being bad with using a camera that's magnitudes harder to do well with; taking a properly aggressive line (see: a properly fast line) looks/feels really unnatural in chase cam.

bUm fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 9, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

bUm posted:

2nd gear in most post-80's cars (seems most cars with 6 gears have 1st ratioed to exclusively be for dead-stop situations) is good for hairpins/acutes where you keep your speed up enough that you aren't outside the power band for 2nd. As long as your hairpins aren't dropping you below ~15 MPH and/or letting the turbo pressure drop off, remaining in 2nd is likely faster since 1st has such a small acceleration window before you have to upshift (especially in Hillclimb cars), costing you more time than the slightly slower acceleration.*

Not sure which is definitively faster, but, yeah, I try to avoid using the handbrake on tarmac except as an "oh poo poo" when you started braking too late; coincidentally, these are the only opportunities I find myself occasionally using 1st in most later generation cars since it is faster to get going again if you end up dead stopping it or even drifting backwards under momentum from spinning it around so quick.

* When I first swapped from auto transmission that dropped to 1st on hairpins to manual where I kept it in 2nd, I was doing Hillclimb in the Audi and I was able to trim off ~3 seconds in the first sector of the third stage (think I went from ~51 seconds to ~48 seconds over the ~handful of hairpins in that sector).

Yeah I should clarify that it's 1st gear for the tighter hairpin turns at the end of some of the stages. I can use 2nd gear in most, maintaining momentum well through and out of the turn.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Is it just me or do the Group A's seem a ton faster with the updated physics model? Took awhile to get used to it for the league event since it felt much closer in performance parity with the 2000's/2010's without the much better suspension/handling characteristics that make them easier to control, but once it clicked I felt I was in the zone. Returning to Group B will be a rude awakening for me I feel.

In other news: I wandered into the online events and saw the new daily type--Wager Event--and was a little disappointed it didn't seem to indicate stage or car or even class of car or location for that matter. I figured what the hell, what's the worst they can do given how in the zone I felt from the league event? I saw 70's and Greece while loading and sure-e-loving-nough: Lancia Stratos on a Greece long stage. :catstare:

Needless to say, that's the most timid daily I've ever run to make sure I didn't just throw away 100k credits by DQing. :shobon:

Skwee posted:

I like being able to wipe my entire progress for a certain rally within a season. It's the only way that I restart a stage, by restarting the entire rally. It adds more weight to the decision. The problem is being able to cheat the system and just quit the stage and start from the beginning of the stage. I am not sure changing any settings will effect that.
I do kind of wish they coded it so you could do an overall restart and not effectively, in a round-a-bout way, simultaneously enable stage restart since it's the best option. I feel like our league would be a little lamer with people occasionally just DQing out because there's no mulligan option at all though.

Given the two extremes (since the middling is "bugged"... surely someone has bug reported it by now and it's likely not being changed): I'd personally rather we err on just letting full restarts so at least everyone gets to set a reasonably good run and see how they stack up instead of some being DQed and people holding back to ensure they make no mistakes since even a single 10~15 second replace-on-stage penalty will weigh fairly heavy on the overall standings.

Black Griffon posted:

And seriously, you only start learning pacenotes properly when you go no-HUD, at least that's my experience. Everything else is a distraction.
Tonight I tried this as I resumed my adventure through 12 stages of Finland for the first time* because the visual pace notes come so fast on Finland that upcoming turns disappear in a visual cacophony of crest/jump/jump maybe images (not that picking the turns out of the verbal cacophony is much easier exactly). I rather liked having no UI (was partway there anyway with driver cam, it just has timings/visual pace notes); I could see missing timings though when I'm not completely unupgraded so I'm getting totally murdered by the Master AI anyway though (although I have turned the timings off separately in the past since it can be distracting and usually I run a bit faster without them).

We'll see if I renege on sticking to it, but having no visual clutter is kind of nice to the point that, even if I want timings, I may leave the visual pace notes gone.

* FYI: Despite their half-assed "patch notes" for Modern Masters not mentioning it, they did fix the Focus so that the dashboard reflection + direct sunshine on the windshield doesn't completely blind you anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

In other news: I wandered into the online events and saw the new daily type--Wager Event--and was a little disappointed it didn't seem to indicate stage or car or even class of car or location for that matter. I figured what the hell, what's the worst they can do given how in the zone I felt from the league event? I saw 70's and Greece while loading and sure-e-loving-nough: Lancia Stratos on a Greece long stage. :catstare:

Needless to say, that's the most timid daily I've ever run to make sure I didn't just throw away 100k credits by DQing. :shobon:

Yeah I added a thing to the OP about challenges because there are quite a few of them now. 2 dailies, 2 weeklies and the monthly. I like not seeing stage or car before wagering, since it adds to the risk. Gonna make a point of doing more of them myself going forwards provided I can get a car from each class. If nothing else the Dirt Daily lets me try out a lot of different cars.

Speaking of weeklies, they just updated. Group A's at Finland and Group B RWD's do 2 stages each in Finland, Monte Carlo and Wales.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread