Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

is that davy jones and darth vader???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

How do you know so much about Mosquitos?

He is a mosquito, Magnus.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Blue Lips is a good song. My favorite Regina Spektor song, though, is Laughing With. It always makes me feel a little bad.

McDonald's is the scum of the earth, and I am happy to hear you could quit Poison Mushroom. I'm sure you will have a much better job with Waffle House.

Also, I am in Annapolis until Sunday evening and have tonight off. Trying to find something to dooooooo!

EDIT: Now that I think more, I might actually like Samson better than Laughing With. Still, both are really good songs!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 18, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

If I lived in comic book land, I would require all humans with supernatural abilities to spend a year working for the Peace Corp or Red Cross before they could fight crime.

Also, there would be none of this secret identity nonsense.

That's dumb.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

After thinking about it for a moment, I imagine that superheroes would operate like major league sports teams. Every so often, municipal governments threaten to regulate vigilantism to cut down on expenses, probably citing the need to regularly rebuild the downtown area after battles. Outraged that the city would try to intervene in his affairs, Superman publicly threatens to leave Metropolis for a place that desperately wants a superhero of its own, a place like Los Angeles. This threat causes immense anxiety for the locals. After all, what is Metropolis without Superman? The city is not only losing a means of attracting tourists and stopping criminals, but a symbol of itself. To lose Superman would be like losing one's identity.

This anxiety causes protests amongst the Superman's fans, who threaten to punish their elected officials if the city government does not relent in its attempts to regulate the charade. Following several weeks of bad press and growing public dissatisfaction (flames fanned by Superman), the city relents and Superman gets to continue destroying half the city.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 20, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

My superpower is writing lots of words about things that people don't particularly care about.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

Lots of people write autobiographies, Quid.

There are lots of superheroes with the same ability!

(i checked google before making this post)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I once got invited to play a tabletop game in real life. Instead of playing, we spent five hours creating characters and doing individual roleplays with the weird creepy guy who made really uncomfortable jokes.

I don't know what the name of the game was, but it was about superheroes. Most of the individual sessions consisted of Tony Stark being a "cool dude" and us applauding Tony Stark for being so cool. Also, Tony Stark is the best superhero and built the Stark Corporation with special power-negating walls, so none of our abilities worked.

Never went back. I suspect that I just had a bad first experience and spent some time looking for another group last year before finally giving up.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 21, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Red Line in DC suuuuuuuuuuuuucks, but I like public transport as a whole.

It's cheap.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Snow is great.

It's not winter unless there's at least a foot of snow on the ground.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I dislike personality tests because the results tend to vary on the test-taker's mood and because people put waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stock in them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Runaktla posted:

I'd hit fatty lara croft and fatty bikini girl (ok maybe I'd hit all of them).

hitting people is wrong

turn the other cheek

wwjd

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

quote this post with a photo of your username written in your casual handwriting and I will hand write a short poem dedicated to you. (I've been practicing my cursive and want more practice + excuses to write something.)

submissions will be accepted for 24 hours from this post.

Cursive is an important skill.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

I loving agree that motherfuckibg cursive is important as poo poo in all forms of communi loving cations.

i am glad we can agree on these things keane

lets talk about cursive

i feel that the school taught versions of "H," "K," and "F" lack fluidity and are inconvenient to use. when i write, i tend to use the following designs, as they only require the minimal number of strokes and look less stilted:

there are people who prefer printing, which is entirely fine, but i find it time consuming. (i also like pretty letters)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ernie. posted:

your F looks like my J

almost exactly

thats because i am you ernie

look in the mirror

we are each other's sockpuppet

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

jimminy cricket!

darn you keane

darn you to fudging heck

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

In a life or death situation wherein you are in a group that is about to die of starvation could you murder and eat another human?

ill use reverse transubstantiation to turn the body into bread and wine.

But, seriously, no. I do not think I could eat another person.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Has anyone ever written up flavor for a game only to reread it and realize its dumb as hell and you need to start over

CCKeane posted:

Ben Franklin not only discovered electricity, he also discovered fire.

The average Roman Solider was 12 inches tall, this is where we get the term foot soldier from.

Abraham Lincoln's mole was actually a piece of jewelry that was briefly popular in the 1830s.

President Taft once ate an entire bison for lunch.

Fun Facts!

Did you know that there are certain species of ant that explode as a defense mechanism?

Did you know that Congress considered flooding part of Washington D.C. in the 1960s?

Did you know that Thomas Edison and Helen Keller once got into a fist fight?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

bowmore posted:

nothing wrong with dumb flavor as long as it's fun/funny

i am a robot who has no concept of what is "funny" or "fun"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

True Detective is good.

Pushing Daisies is better than Dead Like Me, but both are pretty good.

Vampires gross me out so I have only seen one episode of Almost Human.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

busb posted:

Bien sūr, mon ami

Je suis le pomme. Vous etes une chatte.

Frère Jacques, frère Jacques

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

what is in this thread

i dont even know what is happening.

what have you done tt

New Topic: Has anyone ever had an idea for a Mafia role/set-ups but not been sure how to implement it?

I was thinking about a possible cult fix recently, where the "Cult Leader" binds players to him without changing alignment. Instead of switching strategies mid-game, players instead find themselves in a suicide pact with the Cult Leader and need to ensure his survival to survive. The obvious issue is that players are encouraged to rat out their leader on D1 to prevent the leader from becoming too powerful. The only potential fixes I can see are either A.) a post restriction (which is dumb); or, B.) making it so that a Cult victory doesn't cause the town to lose (if we were talking flavor, maybe the Cult Leader can ascend to heaven). People might still be encouraged to confess to remove a potential headache.

Also been thinking about a game based on a succession mechanic, in which all the players are randomized and assigned abilities based on their place in the ensuing list. The person at the top, the King, would act as a more powerful Jack-of-all-Trades, but have their position (and possibly actions) publicly announced in the thread, making them a massive target/focus of attention. Some roles would involve determining where a person sits in the line, or changing the laws of succession.

EDIT: And while I'm here, I've thought a little bit about a game based on Mutually Assured Destruction. All players are X-shot unstoppable dayvigs with a certain delay on their kill. Until the vig reaches its target, other players can engage in actions or choose to retaliate with their own vigs. Overuse of vigs causes nuclear winter, in which all players lose. This number is hidden to prevent players from exploiting the mechanic. I have no idea how to balance such a game.

EDIT 2: There's another set-up that I played around with in an Excel doc that is a "democratic" variant of the King idea above. Instead of being determined by the mod, players elect a "President" and "Prime Minister" on D1 to serve as their leaders. The pair become masons and secretly dole out power roles to the rest of the players. If the "President" or "Prime Minister" ever dies, the surviving player appoints a successor. The biggest problem with this set-up is preventing a scum President from leaking the entire power role list to their teammates without limiting communications.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 1, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina posted:

I just ran a game that involved a mechanic I really liked that I think fixed 11 player games, but it got completely ignored.

9 town (with some simple power roles) vs 2 scum who both have a NK. In mine they were a godfather and a ninja to counter the cop and watcher, but I think there are lots of options.

I think this really makes 11 players viable cause right now you either have too few scum or too many.

That sounds like an interesting set-up and I would be interested in playing in it. How many days did your game last? Was it well-received by the players after the game ended?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also I've been trying to work out this time travel based mafia game with no player elimination but there's some obvious hurdles here.

Yeah, this would be cool. I've always thought a Time Travel based game could be fun if you made it flipless and had a bunch of resurrection and DeathCop roles.

I imagine you could have a lot of fun with roles, giving players the ability to rewind back to a certain day or permanently erase other players from reality.

Obviously a little different from what you are discussing, though!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'd sign up for it too. Sounds fun.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Runaktla posted:

Ok list your nerdiest stuff you do...

I played D&D until my late teens.
I played MUDs from my early teens to my late 20s.
I played Eve, Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike throughout my mid to late 20s.
I do a monthly board game night.

I'm sure I got one or two other things but that's what sticks.

I have friends that know this well and other friends where I pretend I'm cool all the time that don't know this, except maybe board game night.

Funny story: Every summer growing up, my parents would take me to stay at my cousin's house while they went off to Florida/on a cruise/wherever. At his house, he had almost every video game console and a bunch of really obscure board games, neither of which I had any opportunity to play at home. I also got to stay up late and watch cartoons with him, usually Inyuasha or some weird show about high school anime girls. During these shows, I would ask a lot of questions and he would go into agonizing detail about whatever I asked about. If he was in a good mood, he would even let me read the ~~original manga~~ version of the program to clarify. He was also into WWE, but I never stuck around to watch it with him. It seemed gross to me.

I thought he was one of the coolest people in the world, but eventually, my parents stopped leaving me at his house because I got old enough to care for myself while they were gone.

A few years ago, I went to a family reunion and saw him again. It wasn't until we started talking that I suddenly registered just how stereotypically goony this guy was. I still consider him a nice guy and appreciate the role he played in exposing me to new things, but seeing him again suddenly forced all my memories into a weird context. From what I can tell from his Facebook page, he's taking Japanese classes at a nearby college and just got a promotion with Wal-Mart.

Anyways, the nerdiest things I do are:
- Play video games (Crusader Kings 2, The Long Dark, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.)
- Participate in a book club
- Really into musical theatref

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 3, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

how do I get on a TSA trusted list so they won't search my checked luggage because they've done it the past two times I've flown and each time they left the stuff in my bags all janked up to poo poo and it's really, really aggravating.

You will need to get per-clearance through the TSA's Trusted Travelers Pre-✓ program. It's an online application process, but you will need to schedule an appointment at a nearby application center and pay $85.00. It might take a few months, (as I hear there is backlog) but assuming you have no felonies, drug offenses, or records tracing you to a designated terrorist organization, you should be fine. As far as I'm aware the Pre-✓ program is for both foreign and domestic travel. Occasionally, the TSA an allow travelers that they view as "low-risk" to use the expedited check system, even if they are not currently enrolled in the program.

Also, there is a bill currently making its way through Congress that plans to increase the program's stringency. If you have any interest, I would recommend applying sooner rather than later.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

Have you guys listened to the podcast "Serial"?

Yes. I still have to listen to the last three episodes, but it is really good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Removed at request.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 7, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina posted:

Please keep us updated.

This is not sarcastic.

At the beginning of the debate, the moderators asked whether the candidates, in front of the entire establishment and on live television, sign a pledge saying they would not run as a third party. Candidates were asked to raise their hand if they could not sign a pledge.

Trump shrugged and said, "Nah."

The moderators and candidates keep trying to kill Trump, but he won't die. He just doubles down.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Trump has the biggest, most luxurious Google searches on the web.

okay, that's enough trump talk. never going to talk about politics in this thread again.

bye

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Quote this post and I will tell you what clothing you would wear in the far off future of 1900-1993, as imagined by some 1890s fashion experts.

The boredom is intense.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

BottleKnight smooths the ruffles in his crocheted cape as he prepares for a night of protest at the local theatre. Ever since they installed that damned canned music, the shows haven't been the same. "IS ART TO HAVE A TYRANT?" reads his hastily put together sign. He will not sit idle while culture is stamped underfoot.

As he poses on the street corner, a young tech dandy named chaoslord consults his hat-clock. drat, he thinks, I'm late for my meeting with the neo-Greenbacks. His cone trembles as he shakes his head. Now those Yankee fools will never take me seriously.

EccoRaven posted:

quote my post and I will tell you which clothing you would wear in the fat off future of 2093.

"Well personally," says Ecco, adjusting her hair-minaret, "I think that the neu-suffrage movement has a lot to offer. We cannot and should not deny thinking, feeling beings the right to fully participate in society."

"FASHIONISTAS OF THE WORLD, UNITE," shouts Capitalist Pig from the center of an angry crowd, "BOWTIES ARE NOT A MATTER OF PUBLIC SAFETY, THEY ARE A MATTER OF PRIVATE PLEASURE."

He thrusts a pamphlet into the hands of a nearby woman. She jumps back in astonishment.

"THE MOMENT WE ALLOW CONGRESS TO DICTATE OUR DRESSWEAR IS THE MOMENT WE SURRENDER OUR FREEDOM!"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina stands motionless so as to allow her lecturer to upload his class directly into her brain. The process is expensive, but well-worth it. In a few moments, she will be a master in her field and able return to her phalanx to make use of her new found abilities.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

busb posted:

Look let's just agree that all jrpgs are awful and move onto a proper topic.

How many people is the minimum to have a decent game of irl Mafia?
Is 5 enough for a vanilla game so 2 nights?

I played three person Mafia (though we called it something different) with my sisters growing up.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mafia is segregated into two periods: BV, Before Voterfinder, and AV, Anno Votefinder.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

BottleKnight posted:

Apparently plug.dj is down because of the state-run ISP in Djibouti that runs the .dj domain.

The one night this month I've wanted to use it! :argh:

This is why you shouldn't rely on unstable underdeveloped countries to for your domain, no matter how nice of a url it makes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

I found an apartment on Craigslist that is super cheap and awesome. How likely is it that I am being scammed? Like 95%?

I am currently living in an apartment that I found through Craigslist that is super cheap and awesome. I would check it out beforehand though. One place I was looking at before I found my current address turned out to be really sketchy upon visiting.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

It's literally a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath house that has an extra room that could be either an office or another bedroom and they want 550 dollars a month in rent.

It's like 5 minutes away from my job and within walking distance of downtown raleigh.

Like what.

Is someone already living there?

Are there rats in the walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is there a serial killer in the walls?

Write about it Magnus and you can become the next Stephen King.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I have no clue. The seller mentioned in their email that they were hard of hearing and the way their email read implied they were not the best with a computer. It's possible they are old and renting this place is a stopgap measure. They said they wanted to sell it but couldn't find any buyers. Maybe they just want the mortgage as rent so they stop losing money

Can you schedule a visit with the owner to check out the space? Maybe bring a friend along.