Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Thanks for the LP, Mega64! You did this game justice!

Veks fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I love this game. Thanks for the LP.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Fantastic LP, Mega64. Thanks for coming back to finish this one off. :unsmith:

It's not my favorite game in the series, but it definitely has its charms, and I'm always a sucker for a happy ending.

(And anyone who might try to argue that this ending wasn't happy can go play Tetra Master for all eternity. :colbert: )

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Thanks Mega. That was awesome.

With this LP ending and the FF8 one getting close I'm running out of things to read! Maybe I'll look for Elentor's FF7 LP. Although I kinda prefer reading the threads as opposed to the archived versions, I like seeing all the discussions that happen along the way.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Thanks for a wonderful and fun LP, Mega! Glad you resumed it after all. Half tempted to dig out my copy and my ps2, and give it another whirl, as I don't have a Vita and I don't know if the Steam version is any good. FF9 is my fave game of the series, I love it so much.

Thoughts on everything: Memoria is still creepy, but in that ancient way where you really feel like you're setting foot in a place you shouldn't, and the music still lingers in my head. Necron was a pain in the rear end, I lived in fear of Grand Cross because that always screwed me up, and I had to rush to fix the damage. Dark Messenger is another one of those epic songs that just FITS, because Kuja's trying to destroy everything, so what better way to do it than to a kick-rear end song.

I am NEVER doing the drat Nero brothers sidequest, I prefer to run through Memoria ONCE, thank you. I didn't know that thing about Ozma always getting a turn after you, so that's good to know if I decide to fight him again. The ending though, the ending is much like the game itself, a bit light-hearted, but also serious at times. Zidane is still a dramatic mofo, the reveal was perfect. Steiner and Beatrix hooking up, we saw coming a mile away. XD Until awhile afterwards, I didn't realize it was Vivi speaking there at the end, which kinda punches you. But hey, the poor guy lived how he wanted, it all worked out, and he's got kids to carry on his legacy! :3:

....I kinda want an avatar now, thanks to this thread. Not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, so once again, thanks Mega. And ORANGE FLUFFY SHEEP, YOU'RE A MADMAN, I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT COUPLE UPDATES ON THE LEVEL ONE GAME. Let's see you handle the endgame. :allears:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I really hope FFIX goes on Christmas sale.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
:golfclap:
Thanks for the LP, Mega. It's been a great and nostalgic ride through a game that I never got the chance to finish as a child.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Fantastic work, Mega! I was delighted to see this one return after you apparently put it down. Hope to see you back at the LP game soon!

Glazius posted:

I like how Steiner never stops being a giant goofball and trying to do dramatic things with swords.

This applies to everyone, honestly. My favorite part of the character development stories was that while each character grew and matured, all of them remained basically the same person at their core, like Zidane still being a show-off who cares first and foremost for his friends.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
Thanks for the fantastic LP Mega! I always looked forward to another update.

Final Fantasy IX is definitely one of my favorite games ever. Reading that epilogue by Vivi gave me chills, exactly like it did when I first beat the game AGES ago. I was playing it on PC a while back but I lost my PC controller. I really wanna know where it went so I can pick teh game back up... :(

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thank you very much for the LP! It's been a joy to follow and my idea of what FFIX is about has changed a whole lot after years of not really knowing much about it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Great job on the LP, Mega! You really did the game justice; thanks for coming back to it.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Thank you for a great LP of a real gem of a game!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Thanks for LPing this game, Mega! These FF LPs have been beacons this year, and it's a bummer to see another one go after Elentor's. I oughta scrounge up one more fanart for the road.

I have more positive opinions on a few things like Kuja's quality as a villain after reading this, but Freya's closure still lands flat and lukewarm. Then again, what needed things to be fixed was either more development for Fratley after all one of his appearances, or other changes that required actual attention be given to Freya after Cleyra. You barely have time to see the poor gal when she's in that last FMV. :smith:

I love the hell out of the music that plays when the sun rises on the play and Zidane makes his reveal. It's so sweet and triumphant and such a perfect finale theme. In spite of how rocky things got from Mount Gulug up through Nova Dragon, FFIX gives us one hell of a endgame and such a powerful finale. If nothing else, IX easily has the best ending of the series cuz it feels so complete and connected to the rest of the story.

The English version of Melodies of Life is interesting, mostly cuz of the singer's peculiar accent. It sounds like a combination of French and...Scottish?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think you'll find there's one more piece to the story of FF9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0svcC1dzv4

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

U-DO Burger posted:

I never realized that was Vivi's farewell speech. :smith:

You and me both. :smith:

That said, he sounded happy at least? Vivi lived a well rounded life for the time he was alive, managed to have kids and had a group of loving friends who supported him. Can't ask for much more than that.

Bregor posted:

Vivi :smith:

Also would have liked to see the Black Mage Village populated with little Vivi kids. :unsmith:

Sorry if this is messy. I wanted to get it out before the thread closed.

EDIT: thanks for the LP, Mega. It was nice seeing things that I had missed the first time I tried out this game several years ago. It was a fun ride all around.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

bewilderment posted:

:stare:

So that's what Doctor Tot was working on this entire time. No wonder he fell off the face of the game: he had to bring Coca Cola to Alexandria.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: First he foght the Nova Dragging and hades but a whole bunch of chaoss too until he found teh Kuja.

Are you hyped for, seven, count 'em, seven boss battles?!

First up is Nova Dragon who is no big deal as long as its first attack is not

Shockwave.

Well then.

Tidal Wave, Twister, and Aerial Slash are absorbed by the ribbons/octagon rod, and single-target physicals are nbd if they don't hit Gitan. Shockwave was the only action that could have me on the back foot.

It's open to sleep, and Soul Blade can sleep-lock it.

Papito's around for a lof of these fights. They aren't dangerous enough to warrant Bort for Phoenix purposes and his ~agas are more efficient for damage than her Holy. Especially with hats. If a spell is getting around immunities then it'll deal over a thousand so who gives a poo poo about magic defense? Wear hats to boost ~aga damage. Mage Hat, Red Hat, Flash Hat; Blizzaga, Firaga, Thundaga.

With Soul Blade keeping it asleep it's no problem to take it down, even if it takes much longer than I'd like due to Shockwave.

The random encounters in Memoria are all no issue... if you remember Alert.

Iron Men have an all-target physical and are thus the only one that poses a threat.

Maralis prep is pretty easy. Rosetta Rings and Body Temp. For Papito I go Half MP to get four Blizzagas instead of two.

Maralis is the most dangerous chaos, but that's not saying much.

Since I'm using Half MP and Body Temp and Auto-Haste so much, Quark spends time casting Auto-Life.

Maralis is also open to sleep.

Not that I need it. Sword Quiver is her only non-fire, non-heat attack.

She knows reflect so I had Ratchel Auto-Reflect so Papito can bounce his Blizzagas. I have no idea the trigger for Maralis's Reflect.

It's pretty good damage, hitting a weakness and having a hat boost.

Raining Swords is an assured wipe, but if at least one person has auto-life, you win. She isn't very good at taking away your auto-life.

Wow, an ability that costs 17 magic stones! :buddy:

"Does that mean I'll remember gaining levels? Ugh, gross."

Tiamat is probably the most complicated chaos, though lacking a move like Raining Swords means he's still not a big deal.

Wind immunity helps, yes, but fire immunity is more important. Everyone but Ratchel can have both.

I love my dead straight rat.

Tiamat can be muted, which removes a lot of his arsenal.

Not Jet Flame, and preventing the damage doesn't prevent the Heat.

Still, he isn't too dangerous and Papito lays on the fatal Blizzaga.

-Most people, when the game suddenly became this abstract piece about the nature of memories and the continuity of ideals.

Wow you're ugly.

Kraken changes things up by being weak to Thundaga and having no notable status weaknesses.

He counters most things with Water-Gun (25 PP 40 power special water) or Waterga, which the ribbons and octagon rod block.

Those things are pretty loving fair, huh?

Ink is the only attack that works consistently so just use phoenix downs sometimes idk.

"poo poo this is gonna be like Shadowgate, where one door is right and the other two kill me for no reason, isn't it?"

"Oh gently caress I picked the one that flings me to space shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!"

Last chaos is a joke.

He casts Death and Doom. This is the only way he can meaningfully harm the party.

Earth Shake and Quake are nulled in a variety of ways!

Being a floating undead, he's weak to wind, fire, and holy! So many ways to maim him!

Thievery did it in the end though.

The save point that spawns after Lich is welcome, it lets me retrieve Bort.

I didn't forget Hades, after all!

"But, you're, like, still level 1, this is bullshit, how?"
"Check the last update fucker."
"No! Not fourth wall jokes!"

Body Temp. He spends his first few turns using things blocked by Body Temp, casting Reflect, or using

Cleave.

You lose if he cleaves.

Like so.

Finally! Bort's Holy actually dealt respectable damage! Enough to justify how much I like it!

He casts Reflect after the Holy to thwart what would be a follow up.

He was wrong.

Only real useful synth at his place is a Robe of Lords, as it has +1 speed.

The tin armor is sexist and won't let Ratchel equip it. A shame, the evasion stats would be welcome.

Normally I'd flee from the crystal world random encounters too, but just for information purposes I down one.

They don't give EXP and have hefty AP rewards. If you were somehow missing an important ability for the last bosses this isn't the worst way to get it.

Finally, the final showdown with Kuj-

No wait this thing instead, we went through all the trouble to model it and its neat background, it has to in somewhere.

Deathguise is fast as balls and always casts Meteor first turn. Unless Gitan starts with full ATB you're eating a space rock.

Fancy way of saying "Auto Life is required."

He'll get a second action, and it's a coin flip if it's the one that'll only kill one person (this) or the one that causes a game over (not this).

After that, Sleep hits. Back to the ol' Blizzaga/Limit Glove/Dragon's Crest damage trifecta with Gitan reapplying sleep so he's stuck snoozing.

Did you not read the last caption? Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

You deserve a nice pose, Papito. Take a break, you've done enough for the level 1 run. It would be literally impossible without you learning Stop.

NEXT TIME: The final bosses & their nonelemental party-wide attacks!

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd; Why did the gargoyle die; these resets aren't alone: Abadon, Abadon, Abadon, Shell Dragon; Random encounter Mistodon wipe; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; Hades cleaved.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
This is a fantastic game and you did an even more fantastic job LP'ing it. I learned things I didn't even know about before.
Thanks again Mega64, for doing this very cool thing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm the guy giving the goddamn queen stink-eye during an obvious Moment. Someone's not keeping their head. :v:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

bewilderment posted:

:popeye:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zeikier posted:

The English version of Melodies of Life is interesting, mostly cuz of the singer's peculiar accent. It sounds like a combination of French and...Scottish?
The song actually has the same singer in both Japanese and English, Emiko Shiratori. So her peculiar accent is probably just her imitating the accent of whoever taught her to sing in English, mixing with the obvious Japanese accent.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Thanks for the LP, Mega, it was good fun. This is my favourite Final Fantasy and one of my favourite games ever and you did a really good job of showing it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFIX was the second FF I ever beat and I remember feeling that peculiar sense of both joy and sadness at the ending. It was quite frankly a perfect ending (and I still get nostalgic for Melodies of Life) but at the same time I had loved the game so much that I didn't want it to be over.

That was over 10 years ago now. I no longer exactly adore the game as much as I used to but I still recognize it's a very good game with an amazing soundtrack and some fantastic writing.

You did a great job Mega64.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He counters most things with Water-Gun (25 PP 40 power special water)

:allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Glad you came back to finish this, Mega. It's been a drat fun ride. :)

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I cried as a teen when I realized Vivi died but it was a bittersweet cry. He lived a full life.

Thanks for the LP. It was amazing.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
My thanks as well to both Mega and OFS for helping me get through many an afternoon with a fantastically entertaining look at a marvelous nostalgia trip.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Fantastic job, Mega. This is a beautiful game and definitely my favorite of the small number of FFs I've played. Somehow got stuck at Kuja's desert palace because I'm bad at video games. I really need to finish it, but the cutscenes stuttering and the control scheme on the Steam version made it really hard to work with. A bit of research shows that a game controller can solve both of these issues, so guess it's time to get one.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
This is one of the few games that still holds up for me even after playing through it like 10+ times.

Thank you Mega and OFS, this LP has been a real treat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A few more up to the Outer Continent.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
You Rat Bastard.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Marcus donkey punch is amazing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
And some more! Finished through end of Disc 2 now.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I finally decided to read this and its over. Am I happy, or am I sad? I dont know, but thanks for the work Mega.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I was meaning to do this around the end of Disc 2, but here's Vivi in the Exposition Void

Thought of making a Level 1 Run reference but I was drawing a blank.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 28, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Zeikier posted:

I was meaning to do this around the end of Disc 2, but here's Vivi in the Exposition Void

Thought of making a Level 1 Run reference but I was drawing a blank.

Vivi, please get off of that chair and then ROAST THAT SONUVABITCH. Stupid giant-mecha-game-runining wooden hunk of crap.

Anyway, I really dig all these images.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Zeikier posted:

The FF8 BradyGames guide is so good about its bestiary it's flabbergasting they're the same company that did the FF9 guide. I barely remember the FF7 guide besides spoiling every single major plot point and listing Aps' attacks as "Sewer, Tsunami Tail." Listing attacks was so needless and incomplete, it was clear when they realize ideas were half-assed but they desperately tried rolling with them.

Versus Books also did an FF7 guide, and while I never owned a physical copy it had some good stuff, like materia combinations and things like stacking Counter materia. Versus Books was a goddamn treasure and it's a shame the strategy guide era has ended. :allears:

e: assault of the sniped pages

No it hasn't, any game I'm willing to get the CE for I usually get the CE guide for too. They're much better AM quality than hey used to be, in general.

That scene is nuts, and that freeze frame rotation right at the end make me think someone in the design team was a big fan of the matrix, which came out a year before this

Good job on the LP mega, looking forward to whatever you do next and ofs' legs are always a nice addition!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No it hasn't, any game I'm willing to get the CE for I usually get the CE guide for too. They're much better AM quality than hey used to be, in general.

That scene is nuts, and that freeze frame rotation right at the end make me think someone in the design team was a big fan of the matrix, which came out a year before this

Good job on the LP mega, looking forward to whatever you do next and ofs' legs are always a nice addition!

It honestly has, they make tons of guides for games that dont really need them while only the huge long running rpg series get them now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

quote:

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!

It's time to end this one, too!

Nova Dragon is simple enough (spoilers: sleep)
code:
     .=====================.                                        _____
  .--| BATTLE: NOVA DRAGON |---------------------------------------(13 AP)--.
  |  '====================='                                        ŻŻŻŻŻ   |
  |                                                                         |
  | • You've basically won this battle if you get the chance to cast Night. |
  | • Make everyone who acts before Quina attack, then cast Night and wait  |
  |   for everyone's ATB gauges to refill.                                  |
  | • Enter all your commands in rapid succession and make sure that you    |
  |   select Night as the last command and just before Nova Dragon wakes up |
  |   from getting hit.                                                     |
  | • Freya (or Zidane if he's stronger) should be the first to attack when |
  |   Nova Dragon is asleep to best take advantage of the multiplier for    |
  |   attacking a sleeping target.                                          |
  | • Have Zidane act as medic when necessary.                              |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
And then, the flowbreaker!
code:
  |   -quest, then return to Memoria and save at the colorful orb.          |
  |                                                         _________       |
  '--------------------------------------------------------/ + 2:40 /-------'
                                                           ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Then, everyone gets the ideal equipment (did you know that with the Mythril Helm equipped, Freya is better off equipping the Holy Lance instead of Kain's Lance? Riveting), and Maliris has to fall:
code:
     .=================.                                            _____
  .--| BATTLE: MALIRIS |-------------------------------------------(10 AP)--.
  |  '================='                                            ŻŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • DO NOT END THIS BATTLE UNTIL YOU HAVE STOLEN THE GENJI ARMOR!!!       |
  | • Normal attacks from Amarant and Freya will make short work of Maliris.|
  | • Use Charge! if the party is in critical status.                       |
  | • Have Zidane act as medic when not busy using Steal.                   |
  | • Maliris will use Raining Swords at the end of the battle; make sure   |
  |   Zidane still has Auto-Life at this point, or have Freya Jump just     |
  |   before dealing the finishing blow.                                    |
loving steals, man.

And because this one must have really rumpled his ruperts, I'll quote it entirely:
code:
  |   fly to the hideout to trigger the next sequence, then return and save |
  |   at the colorful orb.                                                  |
  | * When forming a party upon exiting, choose anyone because you'll be    |
  |   doing this several times anyway.                                      |
  | * After returning for the first time, keep going through Memoria until  |
  |   you reach the screen with the storm - Zidane will comment on it, and  |
  |   that's your cue to return to Lindblum. Save at the secret save point  |
  |   before trekking back to the entrance.                                 |
  | * Once you get back, save again at the colorful orb, and then once more |
  |   at the secret save point. Continue onward to the area with the storm  |
  |   until Zidane and Garnet make some comments above the boat - time to   |
  |   fly back yet again. Save at the secret save point before heading down.|
  | * Luckily, this is the final sequence you need to do under the 12-hour  |
  |   time limit, so be sure to form your party with Zidane, Steiner, Freya |
  |   and Amarant before you leave.                                         |
  | * As usual, save at the colorful orb once you return from Lindblum, and |
  |   then again at the secret save point before moving on to Tiamat.       |
  | * You can complete the remaining parts of the side-quest after you get  |
  |   the Excalibur II. Do NOT continue past Lich's chamber before that.    |
  |   Consult the Leftovers section for more details as to how to proceed.  |
  |                                                         _________       |
  '--------------------------------------------------------/ +16:15 /-------'
                                                           ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
So over 20 minutes lost in total, with THE most ideal route taken...and it's not DONE, you know, just enough to be able to finish it once. Nice.

I'll skip Tiamat and Kraken, they have the exact same tactic except for Kraken's tentacles of which one gets hit once, one eliminated to reduce chances of a Waterga counter (paraphrasing here). Including stealing the Blood Sword and Genji Helmet. The armor is immediately used for Body Temp on Steiner, btw.

And thus:

code:
                             .------------------.
                        .~.  | Excalibur II ^_^ |  .~.
                    ~..'     '------------------'     '..~

o Simply run to the door and climb the ladders to reach Lich's chamber.

.==============.                                               _____
  .--| BATTLE: LICH |----------------------------------------------(10 AP)--.
  |  '=============='                                               ŻŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • DO NOT END THIS BATTLE UNTIL YOU HAVE STOLEN THE GENJI GLOVES!!!      |
  | • The almighty Charge! rips Lich to shreds, especially with Freya and   |
  |   Amarant both dealing ridiculous damage with simple physical attacks   |
  |   thanks to Lich's weakness to Holy AND Wind.                           |
  | • An extremely disappointing final battle for this EPIC challenge :/    |

o Once you defeat Lich, approach the broken column on the right side of the
   chamber and examine it to find a note to Gilgamesh and the EXCALIBUR II!

___                                            .-.
                /   `.                               .-.        : :
               :   __:                              .' `.       : :
               :  :__  ,--. ,-.,-. ,-.-.,-.,-. .--. `. .' .--.  :_:
               :     :: :: :: ,. :: :: :: ,._;' .; ; : : `._-.'  _
               `.___.'`.__.':_::_:`._. ::_:   `.__._;:_; `.__.' :_:
                                   .-. :
                                   `._.'
So you thought this was all a lot of nonsense, eh?

Well, we're not even close to done with the nonsense.

code:
 So you think you're finished? Well, that was just the beginning :)

Completing the challenge gives you the basis for a perfect save, but there are
 plenty of things still left to do for 100% completion. As a matter of fact,
 the challenge playthrough was as minimal as possible due to the time limit,
 so you've probably never had more to do on Disc 4 than now!

Here's a short guide to help you on your way.
(there is one third of the guide left I haven't even looked at yet)

FOR EXAMPLE

code:
 .===========================================================================.
 |                                MAXING GIL                                 |
 '==========================================================================='

If you want 0 Gil for your perfect save, then stat and EXP maxing will net
 you enough Gil for all necessary purchases. However, if you want 9,999,999
 Gil on top of that, then you will need to put in much more effort.

Although it gets incredibly tedious, the Cotton Robe trick is probably the
 best way of making Gil. Unfortunately, the only place to get Wrist and
 Steepled Hat on Disc 4 are Dali and Burmecia, respectively. And unlike Dali's
 shop, Atla is all the way at the very end of Burmecia, meaning you need to
 traverse the area twice every time you do the trick. Well, at least it's on
 the same continent. One round of the Cotton Robe trick yields a little over
 60,000 Gil.

The other option would be to fight for your Gil with the Millionaire ability
 activated. Theoretically the best option would be Gimme Cat at 5,000/7,500
 per battle, but there is no way to encounter it exclusively, so Adamantoise
 is the next best thing at 4,433/6,649. It's the only encounter on Uaho Island
 (the one with Chocobo's Paradise, and only outside the forest) and is easy
 and quick to defeat. Fighting Yans will, on average, yield the same amount,
 but take longer.

So basically you either keep doing the Cotton Robe trick or fight over a
 thousand Adamantoise. 
TEDIUM
code:
 |                         MAXING STATS & EXPERIENCE                         |

[...]

THE STRATEGY:
  ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
 Activate everyone's Auto-Regen, Auto-Haste, Auto-Life, and Insomniac as well
 as Freya's Initiative. Make sure your ATB Mode is set to WAIT - this is very
 important! The strategy you'll use is the same no matter how many Yan you
 face, and is as follows:

1. Quina casts Night
    2. Freya opens a menu whenever a party member has an animation
    3. Zidane Steals
    4. Garnet summons Atomos
    5. Freya uses Dragon Breath (or you summon Atomos again)

Once Garnet reaches Lv80 or so, you can thank Atomos and start using Odin.
 Change your battle strategy to the following and keep it this way until you
 finish maxing EXP:

1. Quina casts Night
    2. 4th character opens a menu whenever a party member has an animation
    3. Zidane Steals
    4. Garnet summons Odin
GRINDING
code:
  ...but I'd like to keep my Eidolons un-flagged.
  ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
 If you want to keep your Eidolons un-flagged, then you will need to follow
 another strategy. Instead of summoning Atomos and Odin, you can defeat the
 Yans by using the Masamune's Add Status ability: Doom. Zidane will need to
 master Soul Blade, and you'll need access to another non-damaging ability
 with a long animation. Zidane's Annoy is a good choice, but any character's
 skill can be used as long as it has a long animation.
QUESTIONS ABOUT SOME PEOPLE'S SANITY
code:
 |                                TETRA MASTER                               |

This is the bane of the Final Fantasy IX perfect save. It'll take a long time
 no matter which way you slice it.

Obviously, you'll want 9,999 wins, 0 draws, and 0 losses.
GO gently caress YOURSELF

And all of the less tedious bullshit like catching all the frogs and getting all the H&C rewards and fighting Ozma I guess. Oh, and the perfect stats, of course. There's spreadsheets.

And a list of every single treasure in the game because why not.

I expect all of this post-challenge stuff to be documented in video form, before Mega64 closes the thread! Chop chop!

~~~ hope you liked my ranting ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

What the hell does it mean to have your Eidolons "un-flagged?!"

• Locked thread