Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's definitely a good game, but it's not amazing or anything. Certainly nowhere near "literally perfect" even if you discount the godawful load times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The one actual benefit to having the PAL version is that it makes getting 100 Nobles really easy thanks to the time delay. :v:

Also, I know it's not a common pick at all but Jesters of the Moon is my favourite track in the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Vivi has bad aim (in cutscenes)?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

You can also game it further by just opening the disc tray, which IIRC makes it so no actions are taken but the ATB gauge still ticks so you can easily get a full heal that way.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If you drop when the current 1st place person listed says someone other than Zidane, Freya or Vivi then that person wins IIRC.

I may not, since I haven't played IX in forever but I think that's how it works anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I never knew about the 8 item limit before this; never even knew that 4 got you some extra time and bonus points. I have never managed to get that many items in a single run before. 3's generally the most I could manage and even that was absurdly rare, because RNGs just outright hate me.

TravelLog posted:

And I believe the stone does indeed reference FF VI Deathgaze.

As already mentioned, it's referring to Ozma in this game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Squalitude posted:

she should at least murdered Quina, it would give him some meaning in the game!

But then who would she murder that's completely and utterly disposable otherwise if you, like me the first time through, never bothered to get Quina here? Because they're entirely optional at this point. There's absolutely no reason to enter the marsh other than to get Quina and if you don't know they even exist that's not going to happen.

Zidane? Oh wait, protagonist immunity. Vivi? Most likely deuteragonist and kind of super important to the overall plot right now to the point that even Kuja realises it. Also a child. Freya? Dude, please, this is kind of her plot arc right now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

unless you saw the pressing need to wander out of Lindblum early. (Can you even do that?)

You can, yeah, but IIRC the only opportunity is when you're solo with Zidane. It's also only on a tiny mountaintop bit, not the bottom floor gate.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Come to think of it, I wonder why Alexandria has the whole Amazon theme in the first place. Normally I would figure it's because of Alexandria being ruled by a Queen, but Garnet mentions that her father, who would presumably be the King, died only recently. Unless the Queen rules even with a King in place, sort of like the Falena Queendom of Suikoden 5.

Because Brahne is Queen, Garnet's father would never be the King. He'd be the Prince of Alexandria. If he was King, then when he died Garnet would have become the Queen instead.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Y'know, for as iconic and memorable as this is (and secretly a good scene for exposition at that) I don't remember Garland being here at all. I didn't remember him turning up on-screen in any capacity until way, way later. I feel like there has to be some reason for that confabulation but it's definitely not just Bahamut and Alexander stealing the show! Everything else about this event and related scenes I can remember pretty much perfectly, but Garland just... isn't there in my memory for some reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The only physical walkthrough/guide I ever owned for any game was for this one and it wasn't one of the usual suspects, I don't believe. It was like a weird little pocketbook thing that detailed the main story path, and mostly just ignored all sidequests and fun things you can do I'm pretty sure whoever wrote it just flatout didn't know things like some of what will be in the next update(s).

It also started giving wrong information period starting from when it claimed that Plant Brain had something like 600HP. I don't think I have it any more but it was just awful on basically every level.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mega64 posted:

And that's almost solely for attacking for full damage from the back row, since as far as I remember only the game's super boss and maybe a couple other enemies can be out of reach

Only one that immediately springs to mind is Black Waltz 3 on the cargo ship, but only as a counter to being hit in the first place, so uh it's not a very common thing at all, no. I think there's one later boss on this disc that's always out of regular melee Attack range but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mega64 posted:

There's also apparently a sound novel called Oeilvert in the Japanese versions of FF Tactics, but I haven't really bothered looking into that one much.

By the most bizarre of coincidences, I was talking to a friend about Oeilvert this morning. It's in the English version of the game as well; it's called the Veil of Wiyu though.

Sounds normal by itself, mistranslation in Tactics very ho-hum. Except! The Veil of Wiyu is also the name of one of the Scholar's best weapons in FFXIV and if you finish the stuff related to it, you get an achievement. The name of said achievement is "Green Eyes," because XIV is great for these insane references to everything else in the series ever. And yet that one might just be the most obscure and weird one I've seen yet.

Semi-related is that it has some ridiculous great Alexander stuff, which includes a part called Cruise Chaser. Which is also them digging into stuff from this game, because it's clearly just Ark.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

AweStriker posted:

I'd hardly call Motorcycle Shiva But There's Two Of Them "flowier". More elaborate, sure, but that's because they're a Transformer.

The best part about Motorcycle Shiva is that Shiva isn't even the most important part. The one you fight, beat and ultimate prove the right to summon is Nyx but nope gotta be Shiva because it's the Shiva Sisters for no reason.

But then I stop thinking and just go sure, whatever. After all, this is Final Fantasy which cares so little about the actual mythologies it's half-assedly referencing that it refuses to ever actually spell Rama correctly. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Eh, in my own recent replay that wrapped up a few days ago, I didn't mind doing H&C at the Air Garden that much. It's not like you have to spend much time there doing it anyway, and it's still pretty easy to get a few things consistently. There's not many places items can be on either land mass and triple points is nice for if you care about that (there's not much reason to now though).

Then again, I did also do the superboss fight there before going to Ipsen's Castle, so maybe I'm just weird like that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The hammer and the other thing you were thinking of do both add scenes to the ending. They just add different ones.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Also, y'know, Garnet told him exactly what happened when they were at Madain Sari and then confirmed it was the Invincible at Bran Bal. That probably doesn't exactly hurt either. Thinking that one is a planet-wide memory is a bit weird and unlikely when the only people that we know saw it are people who it would make more sense to. If, say, Vivi or Freya saw it as well then it'd be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Necron's not some guy appearing out of nowhere trying to destroy the crystal. Notice how it's behind Kuja during that fight. When Kuja uses Ultima, it notably does not deal any damage; it just kills everyone and destroys the Crystal. You're fighting Necron because you're already dead and he's the guy that sorts the souls.

• Locked thread