Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Mega64 posted:

It's hard to be good at jump rope when you constantly trip and wear baggy pants like Vivi though.

This was a while back, but I was inspired.

The Jump Rope King begs to differ!

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Tell me when the cargo ship will arrive, or else the Alexandrian royal family will appropriate this property!
And then what?

I didn't realize Morrid was the best NPC. :allears:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

She grabbed a blue ball, declared that it was ice, and bonked me with that one too. Her little brother was "the monkey person".
And so I was a plant for half an hour while my daughter nuked the poo poo out of me with various spells.

The End.

Goon kid stories are the best stories. :allears:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

So I decided to do a short comic:

I realized as I drew this that this is the first time I've ever drawn Freya, excluding a tracing I did over a decade ago.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

...one of the guys who did decided to use his moment on the mic with Nobuo God drat Uematsu to ask if he had ever heard of OCRemix.

Nobuo God drat Uematsu responded "Not really, no". The guy then begged him to check it out.

Bet you anything he was a contributor.

It'd be great if it was Prince of Darkness or someone else who remixed a popular FF song really well.

FinalGamer posted:

I think, no matter what you've done, any composer's ultimate dream is to see it performed live in a big concert. Because that's one of those few things everybody almost universally enjoys because they came for your music, and you gave it out in spades. It seems like the sort of thing you just bask in with adoration and for good reason.

I would love to see Nier/Drakengard 3 performed live. Can you imagine The Final Song presented like that?

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 19, 2015

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I think it was BradyGames who made the PlayOnline Unfree Brochure. Prima was busy with other lovely guides, like for Jade Cocoon! :pseudo:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

See, that one almost makes sense because Akitoshi Kawazu was in charge of the second half of 12's development.

The man is mentally troubled and has an unhealthy obsession with making a game that is impossible to create a strategy guide for. In fact, three years before FF12, he actually accomplished that very task.

I shudder to imagine Taro Yoko having this dude on speed dial. They're prolly drinking buddies. :unsmigghh:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Oh poo poo! I just thought to myself I should keep this bookmarked, and here we are! :vince:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Jinkies, finally caught up after finally reading from when this came back! Jotted down a few things I wanted to bring up.

Super bummed Freya takes the rest of the game off. There's a bunch of other stuff to add, but I'll wait for that bridge. I'm also a dirty Freya-Amarant shipper.

I never understood the weird mechanics a lot of abilities in this game had. I guess it's to mix things up, but I've never been one to mix things up with terrible inconsistent RNG, especially since it comes at a point where we also get exploitable 9999 attacks and just outright brute force.

Another reference you might have missed was the name of Atomos' attack. It looks like it's a reference to Globe 199, an attack the CPU boss from FFIV uses.

One thing I really loved about 8 and 9 were the sounds the monsters made when the battle started. It gave them all a unique flavor, especially in the PSX trio of games where there's tons of weird one-off poo poo that shows up. It bums me out that from 10 onward bestiaries have been really rigid and lack poo poo like Hell House and the like.

One thing I like about the miscellaneous islands in FF9 is suddenly finding yourself against freaky giant poo poo like the Whale Zombie and Gigan Octopus. Somethin about fighting giant monsters on a beach, especially with the angle and location, that made it all super creepy. I like when the game stuck away monsters that only specifically show up in particular spots on the world map (speaking of cool angles, that's one thing I loved about FF7's battles, they really messed around with camera angle, especially the Ultimate Weapon battles).

That being said, after reading through Cool Ghost's FF8 LP so far, I realize how great 8's world map is. There's so many details packed into it, tons of backstory hinted at that imply a whole lot about the history of 8's world. FF8 was pretty spotty in a lot of places, but it handled world-building really well and there was tons of potential hidden in the background, and luckily it wasn't all in text logs. Lots of neat sidequests that involve spots on the world map tailored to those quests, it was rad as hell.

FF9 didn't really utilize its world map much. Sure the world feels super rich from how cool all the towns are, but the overworld is pretty much A to B with the exception of the Chocobo sidequest (which is cool as hell that it does that, but utilizing the overworld is strictly relegated to the Chocobullshit). It doesn't help that we've reached the point where the plot starts to settle into an A to B structure which is super jarring, even moreso cuz I didn't realize it was right on the heels of the excellent Alexandria disaster.

I remember not knowing Garland showed up in Alexandria as well. When I replayed it a few years back I got bummed out, cuz they introduce Garland, who's really great and definitely gives the feel that a threat has appeared that's even greater than Kuja, but then we're right back to having to put up Kuja's grating ham. Which I guess is helped a little by everyone taking the piss outta him (or they should do more if they don't).

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Kuja dropping two consecutive "haha! this was really that!" reveals rubbed me the wrong way. Melti's freaky, but its inclusion feels clumsy. That and Kuja throwing Trance onstage out of nowhere.

I love all the names of Zidane's Dyne attacks and I bet that's why Kuja's being so obsessed with it out of nowhere, so he can name a bunch of attacks after all the lame poetry he recites.

FFIX's Eidolons always looked really weird compared to their other designs throughout the series. Mostly Ifrit and Odin, like they really wanted to make them look different. I'm glad Ramuh showed up even if he's consistently gotten the shaft (though XV seems to be fixing that).

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Did we get a Garnet before this or is this the first time we've brought attention to what it teaches?

E: new page, new lease on life update the previous page.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

So the big Eiko event in FF9 dropped a few days ago in Record Keeper, with Zorn and Thorn/Meltigemini as the main event. Besides being a brutal DPS check, they lead the clown fight right into the monster fight, and for the engine the game's built in it's actually kinda freaky. I prefer it to how FF9 presented it cuz it's a really cool and jarring shift in gears for the fight to get serious.

Mene's way of talking always makes me stumble. Was that a localization thing? Like, in the original Japanese did he have some kinda weird dialect that would be tough to convey properly in English? It helps sell his weird hermit personality compared to other moogles I guess.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ratchel trained at the forest until she was ready "I am ready" When she found Meltigemini CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: LOOK OUT RETCHEL

Are your titles based on like, bad fics you find online or just like doing some crazy wizardry with words? Either way I love it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

It's weird how Garuda gives you no hints about the Yan. Although to be fair I wouldn't wanna tell anyone that Yans are the last species of friendly monster either. :v:

FF9 feels like it punishes people who want to grind; it takes forever getting past the 50s, and Yans are the only things that give good enough EXP to expedite it and look how vile they are.

I only recently learned the Friendly Yan was a repeatable optional boss, that's nuts! Also every game I started where I wanted to ace the Ragtimer never panned out for whatever reason.

Grand Dragons look really cool and frightening to fit their strength. They have one of my favorite intro noises of FF9's bestiary.

Daguerro is nifty but also feels like there's...not enough of it? Too small? Iunno. It'd be interesting seeing a hidden dungeon in FF9, with how basically every area has its own unique enemies and as far as I know there are no palette swaps barring the Friendlies.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Ipsen's Castle was the point where exploring dungeons became tedious. I don't think it was the gimmick; I think it was just how long it took getting anywhere (and possibly enemies getting worse, but Desert Palace was also pretty nasty). The music didn't help. "The Place I'll Return To Someday" is my least favorite track, and every time they reuse it it never sounds good, just shrill and/or grating. It's catchy, but a bad catchy.

Wow, didn't realize Taharka was vulnerable to Heat. Wouldn't be the first time a boss was weak to a crazy status in an FF game, but an "act and you die" affliction?

Also, I'll never forget how strategy guides always give Earth element the shaft. FF9's guide mentioned everything other elements were strong against, and Earth was just "Flying enemies immune," like screw you too, pal!

Freya should have went back for Amarant :colbert:
Zidane's had plenty of time reminding us he likes helping. Share the wealth, thief!

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 22, 2016

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

SorataYuy posted:

Mythril (in-game earned "premium" currency) I had before my first attempt to take on the 140 challenge rating version of it:

Mythril I have now, thanks to how much more crazy difficult they made it than Mega's encounter here:

Iunno man, this is where closing the app and restarting would be a good idea. It's how I've stayed sane when the RNG doesn't work in your favor.

Of course, the dungeon version of Taharka was where I first discovered the Mythril Revival bonuses, which were cool at least, so there's some incentive to wanting to do that even if it's usually fleeting. Only threw 1 Mythril at that, though.

FF9 fights in RK have kept lots of things, some of which we'll get to later that's kind of a bad move on their part.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Huge bummer we didn't get the other boss fights. Don't think it woulda been too big a stretch to have encounters on the way to the Guardians. Unless you were doing a Level 1 run. :v:

QuantaStarFire posted:

It's gotten a lot better these days with guaranteed 5* on an 11-pull and overall banner quality has improved dramatically, so getting a team that can actually do the top-tier content isn't the RNG-based ordeal it used to be. There's a FFXIV event in about a month or so that's bringing Minfillia and Alphinaud to the game and they're both pretty strong with amazing relics; FFT event with Orlandu (and Gafgarion, but who cares) is the following month, and they put a lot of effort into making sure he's as stupidly powerful as you'd expect.

It's kinda nuts how in favor of free play Record Keeper is. It's generous with Mythril payouts, that guaranteed 5* takes a huge sting out of drawing equipment, and it's easy to catch up with how rewards are improving.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I'm kinda lukewarm on Zidane following in Vivi's footsteps as another super prototype origin. Feels less of an impact the second time around and the Genomes are drab and nowhere near as interesting as the Black Mages were.

It does look like Garland tries ripping his soul out, which is cool cuz it made me see the following scene as Zidane regaining his soul through his friends. But reading the following update his dialogue doesn't sell that angle and that's a letdown. I kinda like "You're Not Alone" but it feels underwhelming compared to how momentous this scene is trying to be, which also kinda clunks.

Speaking of which, Zidane's "YOUR angel of death!" line was great...if we didn't just go right back to trundling through scenes unrelated to paying off good one-liners.

This part of the game definitely stumbles a lot with impact.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I think Garland is a really cool villain, warts and all, and also I like how his name is Garland and his plan to disrupt the soul flow involves creating chaos, calling back to the final boss of FF1 in a way.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Sidebar for Record Keeper, but an "Ultimate-difficulty" version of Kuja was lauded as one of the hardest challenges in the entire game. It was basically eating -ga level spells that did 9999 damage if your mitigation wasn't good enough.

I also liked that during that fight, you have to deal with Trance Kuja for the second half. Like the Meltigemini fight after that event, it gives the fight a really nice momentum as the intensity ramps up.

Speaking of which, another stumble for this part of the game: Silver Dragon's the only boss in this rush who gets Pandemonium's theme for its fight. I'm fine with Kuja getting the dramatic shaft, but Garland just getting the standard boss theme is pretty lovely. I also don't get why the Silver Dragon is placed the way it is. It's weird and clumsy, like if anything it should be Kuja's ally for a more fluid two-stage fight, but the whole boss rush just feels hastily cobbled together with regards to that kinda thing, like they just had to boot Garland off stage as fast as they introduce him so Kuja could attempt his Kefka act. Garland definitely feels like an awkard non sequitur, even with LP format allowing more things to sink in, and it's a real shame.

Not that I'm knocking IX's boss theme cuz it's one of my favorites, but with all the incidental tracks they have in this game they couldn't afford to bench the drat thing more often?

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I hadn't noticed Kuja dropping the theatrics before glassing Terra. That's a really interesting touch and improves this moment a lot. I used to think he just got Trance then went right into his rampage without missing a beat.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Zinco posted:

I don't like the inconsistency in difficulty, but at least everyone always has a reason to be nervous about that boss fight.

I think Mega is gonna have a ball when he gets to it, if he doesn't lose his marbles first.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Ozma is a baffling boss. Like it's weird and lazy that it's just a giant evil marble, but at the same time it does look intimidating from the perspective. I wonder what significance its name has. It reminds me of Legaia's main Ra-Seru; Meta, Terra, and Ozma, and my first reaction was thinking it was related to a third planet, in an Eidolon grave for whatever reason.

The one time I beat it that I remember I think it wound up killing itself by casting Doomsday. Frustrating that the fight is basically taken out of your hands.

I did like that XIV turns it into Ramiel basically. That's rad.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I never saw Penance until HCBailly fought him in his FFXLP years ago.

All you do for that fight and every other fight is spam Attack Reels. The rest of the optional fights, the real challenge of these fights, is the absurd grinding you need to do to be ready for them. The fights themselves? Spam Attack Reels.

I think, as a fight, Dark Bahamut at least tries making things interesting with his aoe debuffs every five turns that you plan around to keep everyone buffed and stuff, makes the fight more engaging even if you're still hitting him with multi-hit attacks. Plus he has less HP than the other later DAs to not be as ridiculous.

But yeah it's a shame cuz a lot of the setups for the battles are kinda cool.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

This dogfight more than made up for how clumsy the Terra sequence was. I remember when I got to this part being blown away by how good it still looked today.

Only problem I have with it is, as usual, they still had the compulsion to use the drat Boss Fight track instead of letting "Assault of the White Dragons" play through the fight...

Alxprit posted:

What a dumb quest. Let's all try and forget about it by looking at this sprite of the Nova Dragon.

...a mistake they carried over into Record Keeper, natch. They even have "Assault" play on the pre-fight menu and that's the only spot it plays!

It's weird cuz RK's version of Braska's Final Aeon has an anti-stumble; using a much better loop of "Otherworld" than any of the releases of FFX had since it's a full loop that isn't A) poorly compressed, or B) on way too short a loop.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The FF8 BradyGames guide is so good about its bestiary it's flabbergasting they're the same company that did the FF9 guide. I barely remember the FF7 guide besides spoiling every single major plot point and listing Aps' attacks as "Sewer, Tsunami Tail." Listing attacks was so needless and incomplete, it was clear when they realize ideas were half-assed but they desperately tried rolling with them.

Versus Books also did an FF7 guide, and while I never owned a physical copy it had some good stuff, like materia combinations and things like stacking Counter materia. Versus Books was a goddamn treasure and it's a shame the strategy guide era has ended. :allears:

e: assault of the sniped pages

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Man, Memoria is such a beautiful and haunting final dungeon. FFVIII and IX prolly have the best final dungeons of the series; so vivid and interesting to go through. VII's wasn't as strong, but it did have some stellar backgrounds.

And of course X follows it up triumphantly with...foggy geometric halls and reused music. :shepface:

They need to get back to boss rushes in the final dungeons again.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 18, 2016

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I never got why they used Zidane's overworld model for this sequence. I guess budget or somethin. It definitely aged better than it could have since IX's models are still pretty expressive, but it's still bizarre.

Speaking of expressive, I never noticed Zidane's face at the end of that FMV, where he closes his eyes and gets all serious. That's cool cuz he otherwise never changes expression ever in the FMVs. :v:

George posted:

Honestly OWA is probably the worst final boss music in the series. If you want something grandiose and bombastic Dancing Mad has it beat (and while it's not final boss music, Liberi Fatali does the Carl Orff thing way better), and for prog rock I have to give it to FF8's Maybe I'm a Lion, The Legendary Beast, and The Extreme (these might even be better than FF9's final boss themes).

OWA's problem is it's a completely new theme out of nowhere, unlike where Dancing Mad plays off Kefka's letimotif used several times before which gives it more punch (Birth of a God at least used a theme present in Sephiroth's scenes, along with other FFinal boss music staples). FFVIII's final boss themes are fuckin rock solid and if they were attached to an antagonist with more impact it'd be an amazing finale. It's still a pretty good sequence, just kinda there without the music.

OCR gives us the best of both worlds, combining OWA and Dancing Mad into one! Until this The Black Mages' version of Dancing Mad was my go-to version, which interestingly enough one of my parents compared to ELP when they heard it years ago, with no background in FF music. That was rad.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 20, 2016

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Thanks for LPing this game, Mega! These FF LPs have been beacons this year, and it's a bummer to see another one go after Elentor's. I oughta scrounge up one more fanart for the road.

I have more positive opinions on a few things like Kuja's quality as a villain after reading this, but Freya's closure still lands flat and lukewarm. Then again, what needed things to be fixed was either more development for Fratley after all one of his appearances, or other changes that required actual attention be given to Freya after Cleyra. You barely have time to see the poor gal when she's in that last FMV. :smith:

I love the hell out of the music that plays when the sun rises on the play and Zidane makes his reveal. It's so sweet and triumphant and such a perfect finale theme. In spite of how rocky things got from Mount Gulug up through Nova Dragon, FFIX gives us one hell of a endgame and such a powerful finale. If nothing else, IX easily has the best ending of the series cuz it feels so complete and connected to the rest of the story.

The English version of Melodies of Life is interesting, mostly cuz of the singer's peculiar accent. It sounds like a combination of French and...Scottish?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I was meaning to do this around the end of Disc 2, but here's Vivi in the Exposition Void

Thought of making a Level 1 Run reference but I was drawing a blank.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I was so excited to see this screenshot when this update came, and it didn't disappoint. :allears:

• Locked thread