Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

The one actual benefit to having the PAL version is that it makes getting 100 Nobles really easy thanks to the time delay. :v:

Oh, that explains it! I've been wondering for years why people think it's so hard because it's never taken me more than two tries.

quote:

Also, I know it's not a common pick at all but Jesters of the Moon is my favourite track in the game.

It's impossible for me to pick a single favorite but Jesters is in the top 5 for sure.

I kind of missed The White Dragon's thread so it's nice to see the best Final Fantasy get another high quality LP, loving the effort with the Amano portraits and high-res images and all. I never truly appreciated how loving terrifying Cinna looks. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Assuming I remember correctly, Dagger is the third Final Fantasy character to hold the rank of Captain after Cecil and Faris. She earns the rank despite never having flown an airship before nor having any military experience whatsoever. This is one of the game's biggest weaknesses.

You only forgot the best Captain. :colbert:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

You forgot my name?
No, I remember. You're Helga, right?
Wrong.
...Christine?
No!
...Oh yeah!

Man, you've really gotten...big.
You nasty little-

:allears: It's like every update has a moment that serves as a reminder that this game has the best-written dialogue in the entire series.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

:smith:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Haha, I've never seen that scene before, that's pretty great.

I was somehow under the impression that using Matra Magic on an enemy made them taste bad, denying the player the easy way to get Blue Magic. I guess I unknowingly already had the ability from the monster I tried it on back then.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

What have you done to Eiko!?
She was too rambunctious, so I put her to sleep with a sleeping weed.
Sleeping weed, eh? Then she's probably sleeping well.

A fun little detail here is that Zidane turns to look at Dagger when he says that last line. He has first-hand experience. :v:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

A little late, but I've been wanting to draw something for the thread for a while, here's something to congratulate OFS on getting through the Iifa Tree.

I don't know why I didn't 5 this thread before, but that's done it

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I wonder if the beginning of Disc 3 is partly a deliberate callback to the beginning of World 3 in FFV. Both have the illusion of things settling down (though here we know for sure that Kuja is still around), both Garnet and Lenna are occupied by their duties while the rest of the party sneak off on further adventures, and both princesses watch their kingdoms get nuked from a castle balcony. I may be reading too far into it but the realization of the similarities really struck me during last year's FFV fiesta.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

There are a lot of scenes in FFIX that've stuck with me through the years, and this is one of them. Alexander remains my favorite summon in the franchise because of it, and I always feel a little melancholy on replays when he gets iced by Garland and dies defending his city. I still remember being a kid and watching the whole thing unfold for the first time.

FFIX is good, y'all.

:agreed:

This part of the game is a rollercoaster of emotions and Alexander utterly owning Bahamut is rivaled by only one other FMV in the game, anyone who has played it knows what I'm talking about. Also, it'll take a while to get there, but I'd just like to take this chance to say that Garland owns and is secretly the best villain in the game.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I cannot condone any badmouthing of Gothic Iron Man Christopher Lee. :colbert:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

My favorite thing about this scene is that there's pretty much no chance of you not actually having 100 gil in your inventory, since encounters are so generous, so this little sequence exists solely for the sake of people who replayed the game and thought "But what if I didn't have 100 gil" and deliberately shortchanged themselves in order to see what would happen. I like games that reward that brand of stubborn "But what if I did X" thinking.

I compulsively overstock on status healing items and stuff in FF games, so between that and equipment upgrades I've actually run low enough to get the scene "naturally" on a couple of playthroughs.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
So assuming that Kuja needed the Gulug Stone in order to open the door to Mount Gulug in the first place, he sure was quick to arrange reasonably comfy living quarters for Hilda. :v: Or maybe he dropped his own spare Gulug Stone when scrambling to escape the cataclysmic destruction of Alexandria, we've all been there.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDG1rIz1S7k

Look at that poo poo. That is not a man with a beard; that is a beard with a man.

Oh Jesus that pulsating and wriggling mass :gonk:

it's like an eldritch parasite

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Trance Kuja is a great 'we're so screwed' moment. Especially since Ultima came right afterwards.

I like how they 1) made Ultima exclusive to Kuja and 2) didn't even bother with the formality of showing it do 9999 damage. gently caress you, it's Ultima, you're done. :fuckoff:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I can't believe Zidane is loving dead.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Thanks for a great LP, just like the game itself your love and effort for it really shone through.

I absolutely love how the play bookends the game and touches on the same themes as the game's story. Hell, I'd be willing to pay a modest sum of money to watch a full version of it made with the game engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Its me, trying to beat a deadline

• Locked thread