Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh how I would kill for a hi-res prerender backgrounds version of FFIX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I love that the world has talking animal-human-hybrids and that it's just a thing.

Although it makes me think that it was some early idea by the writers that they decided not to develop further.

Its really great that way but I dont think it was going to be anything really, a lot of other things have 'abnormal' things for no real plot reason.

I think it's nice and helps give the world certain uniqueness.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh hey tetra master!
What a badly thought out game. Why are card directions even randomized? Thats dumb.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its his off hand dagger, the one that doesnt change to reflect equipment changes.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its retractable.
Basically a giant switchblade, except the blade just extends outwards rather than emerging from a sheath.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Acne Rain posted:

anti-tech sentiments never really make sense in video games priding on being developed on and played on the latest tech like these rpgs

You could say the same about cautionary Sci-Fi that was broadcasted on radio or TV.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nobuo loving loves his job.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

W.T. Fits posted:

I think my favorite part is after they finish the birthday song, they fire off the Final Fantasy Victory fanfare. :allears: :3:

They should have gone whole hog and had a little animated victory screen where he levels up.

Obtained:
Flower Bouquet x1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsieurChoc posted:

She truly deserves the name of "Shank".

Who's the young royal chick
That's a sass machine to all the pricks?
Shank!
Ya drat right.
Who is the gal who drugs her friends and then runs outta town?
Shank!
Can ya dig it?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 29, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id guess the stone is referring to Deathgaze.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

What's great so about this game, is they're not simply recoloured-hue enemies - they have actual texture, and cosmetic differences. Like, they put actual effort into a recoloured enemy that you see once, and will probably not notice the differences of.

That's the same thing that they did for FF12.
More games should do that since the hardest parts of modelling is the animation and a remodel that reuses a skeleton is infinitely easier than making a whole new model that you have to rig all over again.

All it takes is good planning really, go through all the concept designs first, rig one skeleton that can apply to all models, selectively turn off bones that arent modeled over and bam youre done.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Uematsu is a hack, but he best kind of hack.
Which is great for all video games since theyre by definition all referential.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I did it! My incessant, constant nagging for seven months did it!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr Tot Remembering Counter: 1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Squarely Circle posted:

Remember who now?

I love how the low-res textures give Steiner's blood sword a stylish leopard-print hilt :allears:

He looks bored.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

Now we're just delving into the realm of Alexandrian political cartoons.

Pee pee doo doo she is a bad queen

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The guitar thing is called 'Using a tremolo pedal'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bufuman posted:

I'd argue that Zidane helps the group more than Vaan ever did. Zidane's wits and quick thinking have helped the group out several times, and he's certainly done his share of leadership. One might even argue that he was responsible for getting this journey off the ground in the first place, way back at the Evil Forest; without him, Steiner and/or Vivi might have been killed by the cage plants (either in battle or by their lethal little spore trick), and Dagger certainly would have died as well. And even if the three of them had gotten out of the forest by some miracle, it was Zidane who saved the party's bacon in the Ice Caverns. The main character of the game does not always have to be the one that the plot centers on, and Zidane serves admirably as a viewpoint character because he meshes with the story and team well.

Vaan's role in FFXII, on the other hand, was very clearly that of an outsider with absolutely no reason to actually be in the group. He contributes absolutely nothing and does very nearly nothing to help the team. It's admittedly been several years since I played FFXII, but all I remember him really doing for the group was the whole "I'm Captain Basch!" incident, which as I really was mostly just a convoluted method of getting Marquis Ondore's attention; any decent writer could've come up with a satisfactory workaround. Aside from that, I think all he ever does for the team is hang around looking stupid while occasionally asking stupid questions. In short, Vaan's role in the plot is absolutely microscopic compared to Zidane's in FFIX.

Vaan's purpose was to ground Ashe and tone down her lust of revenge, both of them having experienced loss in the invasion of Rabanastre. Otherwise she would have nuked Archadia and completely went with the occuria's plans.
Then again it could have easily have been Reddas if he joined before Giruvegan.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Endorph posted:

the fact that it's called the mist continent probably means there's a lot of mist near the continent, which'd make sailing next to impossible. even if you get out, you'd ram yourself into some rocks on the return trip.

basically, sailing out is difficult for the exact opposite reason that it's hard for airships

Nah mist is the magical stuff in the air.
Free floating mana. The concept is also used in the Ivalice games but there heavy mist actually stops airships rather than fuels them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FF12 gives you five humes and a viera, in the Ivalice setting from FFTA where having a bunch of playable races was one of the big draws.

Balthier shouldve been a moogle.
Basch should've been bangaa.
(Even though they both have the most reasons to be hume what with the empire's Hume supremacy doctrine.)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 21, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jay Rust posted:

Humans are pretty good. Don't throw in a rabbit lady just for the sake of having a rabbit lady.

Its more like having 32 flavors of ice cream in your world

and you unflinchingly go for the vanilla every time.

Maybe sometimes they make a mistake and you get french vanilla and not notice but it's still vanilla.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Maybe sometimes they make a mistake and you get french vanilla and not notice but it's still vanilla.

and then you start questioning

why do they have two kinds of vanilla
its stupid.

French is better than non french any day.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Plavski posted:

I always felt that Lani's shirt was the hardest worker in the game. Japanese art directors have weird ideas about the female form.

I think it's her spine.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So, Yoshitaka Amano loves girls in leotards.

Amano loves everyone in form fitting clothing.

See Cecil's Skin tight armor:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fine then: Kain.

Who is supposed to be wearing heavy armor.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Veks posted:

FFXII has -ga versions of most of its status effect inducing spells available to the party!

Or you can just
Nihopaloa
Remedy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And thus, Lindblum held an iron fisted monopoly for the next two centuries on airships.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

thetruegentleman posted:

And thus, Lindblum's airship fleet and all the commerce ships plummeted to the earth, killing or stranding each ship's crew while crippling the Mist continent's economy. At least the survivors will live healthier lives.

Steam airships :science:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Weeble posted:

The Mist is obviously Mako, refined from the Lifestream at the bottom of the tree, which is actually just a giant Mako Reactor. Also, the descent to the bottom of the tree has always made me think of descending the crater to the core of the planet. Probably intentional given all the other homages and references to FFs past in the game.

the 'Earth as a Living Being' was an idea very close to the SE writers' hearts at this time.
So much so that they reused it for ff7, ff9 and Spirits Within. I also think some spinoffs had this as well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

YggiDee posted:

What? What's going on with Tindeck?

It (presumably) finally got sold and whoever is in charge may or may not be in the process of preparing to delete everything.
This was tipped off by the site going on google's phishing/untrusted poo poo list, and the banner advertising the sale disappearing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They are all too much willing to use magical WMDs on people they don't like.
Considering that heavy mist magically irradiated places are really not nice places to be and for all intents and purposes inhospitable, that is a bad thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Schwartzcough posted:

There is no record of them nuking anyone with the nethicite. They gave three stones to Raithwall, but it doesn't sound like he ever used them. Nabudis was nuked by the Empire. Raithwall is hailed as a great leader and unifier of nations. So the last "pawn" of the Occuria brought on unparalleled peace and prosperity.

And even if they wanted Ashe to take out the empire, it's arguably a rational decision- letting the knowledge on how to make nukes get out and proliferate among warring nations could lead to world-ending devastation. Better to nip that in the bud before it gets beyond control.

History is written by the victors, though. Who's to say Raithwall didnt pull off a sky fortress bahamut or Nabudis (multiple times even) and time or secrecy just wiped away those deeds? And I'm willing to accept that Matsuno thought of that because Matsuno loves his historical drama.
Hell parts of the story of ff12 are narrated by Marquis Ondore acting as a historian.

The occuria are, by role, manipulators, or at best kingmakers, So they could be saying whatever to get Ashe in line. That Venat went rogue and leaked nethicite info helps their deceptions greatly.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre not fleshed out in any way that definitely paints them as benevolent, or malevolent for that matter. What is known is that they do give out WMDs to people who suit their purposes, whatever those may be. Raithwall wasnt even the first to be offered, the Garif were. So what we can do is speculate and doubt certain things based on how they are presented or delivered.
If you are willing to accept Revenant wings they sealed off an entire race because they told them to gently caress off. And yes, WMDs are bad.

You can also say hume supremacy was guaranteed by the occuria when they helped Raithwall out.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 4, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There is one subtle hint that Zidane is special beyond a connection to Kuja.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mega64 posted:

It'll be at least Friday until the next update but I just did screenshots for the next update (which actually encompasses the entirety of the rest of my lengthy gameplay session, surprisingly enough, and is still as short as this past update), but I couldn't help but show this off.

I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME ZI-DANE
MYAH

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kalonZombie posted:

If you keep up with Chocobo Hot and Cold, this is the point where the game just rolls on its back and shows its belly in submission.

EDIT: One time I was at a Gamestop, and I saw the art book for FF9. I asked my mom if I could get it. She said it was a waste of her money and I should get the book that tells you how to beat the game instead.

I still have yet to forgive her for this.

You got told to git gud by your mom

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, Mega, were you not going to add that note about Titan to the update with Terrestrial Rage? I thought that might have been a neat note for the archive.

I even found a picture of him from the artbook.

Oh wow
thats pretty much a colossus.
From SotC

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ramuhs beard and robes keep getting longer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh you poor soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The four guardians are themed on the recurring four elemental fiends thing that happens in quite a few FFs. (Off the top of my head: 1, 4 and quite a few spinoffs)

Specifically these fourthree are based on Lich, Marilith and Tiamat from FF1 for earth, fire and wind, repsectively.

The wind guardian is a bit of a stretch sonce its not multi headed but its still a dragon witha a long rear end neck so that counts for something.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 23, 2016

• Locked thread