Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's finally a Let's Play of the best Final Fantasy? :dance:

Honestly, I'd rather this game get a faithful remake than VII.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sword Magic doesn't get Vivi's status spells, and Bio Sword is bugged to never poison.

Just so long as they fix things like this and the weird mistranslated names some characters have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I never bothered with stealing anything but from bosses I knew had one of a kind or very rare stuff.

Point being that the real prize for stealing everything can easily be matched by 3 other characters without much work and a fourth with about equal effort.

I stole from all of the bosses ritualistically. Which sucks, because there's one boss in particular that seems to have an absurdly low steal rate.

Then again, Steal seems to fail more often than not as it is. :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kemix posted:

There's a mid-disk 2 boss that is particularly infamous for it's rare steal and comes out of butt loving nowhere, no indication of it's existence.

Yeah, this is the one I meant. I'm not sure which boss Katarani means, though once I see it, it'll no doubt fill me with bitter rage.

Sum Mors posted:

Have the Moombas been featured in any other game than 8? Pupu too. Weird that they had staying power despite only being in 1 game, while other references have carried over from several games.

Moombas, no. PuPu are in XIII-2 as a referential boss, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Steal the heat from the fire and steal the nails. :colbert:

I've gotten lucky and stolen Big Green's rare item in about five minutes, once. I never played through the game again after that, though, because I knew the law of averages would ensure my next attempt would take five hours or so just to balance out that good fortune. :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I always wondered why this wolf went over to him like it was his buddy.

I never noticed Dagger's reaction to that before. :allears:

I have to say that Lindblum's Festival of the Hunt seems a bit too endangering to the townspeople. Even if this is just a Mu that probably won't do more than flick a rock at him.

Another neat thing I missed. Though, I was generally focused on killing monsters, so I never thought to talk to most people.

Bguy32 posted:

Having never played the game, I can see why so many say it is their favorite FF game.

The characters are just so charming and likeable.

Yeah, this game is very good at making amazing characters, whether they're minor or major.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 23, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rarity posted:

If you arrive at the Business District at a certain time you get to see Vivi being chased by a Fang :3:

I think that's right before the Zaghnol event.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Does anyone have the dialogue for the non player characters who take the lead. Like Lani and Genero?

Attendant: "Hey, you're in the lead right now! I think you're gonna win! Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Vivi's leading right now. For such a little guy, he's one heckuva magic user. He looks a little scared out, but he's steadily increasing his score. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Freya's leading right now. She's a dragon knight from Burmecia. Now, she can fight! Hell, I saw some monsters run away from her. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Belna's on top right now. He's Lindblum Castle's head chef. He's out there with his knife, chopping away. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "The Strange Gourmand is on top right now. He's a self-styled gourmand who eats anything that moves. The judges can't keep track of his score because he's eating everything he catches. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Genero's in the lead right now. He's the youngest of three brothers. He's using scissors to fight the beasts. My, how original! Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Ivan's in the lead right now. He's a fisherman who works off the coast of Lindblum. He's hunting with a fishing rod. He claims that he can catch anything with it. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Lani's leading right now. She's a beauty, they call her the 'Hunter of Love.' I don't know what that means, but I'd sure like to be hunted by her. Good hunting!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm going back to read the LP from the start since I just found it not all that long ago.

It wasn't mentioned in the update, but here's a fun fact: if you have your back turned to Alleyway Jack while he approaches you, he will rob you.

He does the same thing if you're facing his direction, though he'll give you a bit of time to react first before mugging you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dastardly posted:

There's also a guy called Scarlet Hair that participates in the Festival.

Yeah, I was looking for his dialogue but I couldn't find it. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In my last playthrough of IX, I collected all of the Tetra Master cards.

Don't ever do this. There is no point to it. You will hate yourself.

On the topic of Story, Steiner is a good and an incredible character. Him flipping out about the poison is fantastic. It's also neat to see him and Zidane agree on something for once.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Meanwhile the entire plot of FFX is driven by Yuna with Tidus little more than a tag-along until late in the game, and XII's entire plot is based around Ashe and her decisions about how and if to reclaim her throne. The only FF female lead from this era that really fits the "no agency" concept is Rinoa.

I dunno about that. The whole thing about X-2 was how Yuna was finally getting to live her life the way she wanted. In X, everyone expected her to become a Summoner because her father was one of great renown and Auron is pretty much going "Go to Zanarkand and finish the pilgrimage, Yuna." the whole time. It's not until right before the beginning of the game's end that she really starts gaining some self-will, from what I recall.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I apologize for nothing.

You have nothing to apologize for. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

zfleeman posted:

Maybe I'm being dense. If the Coral Ring absorbs Thunder, then will it help you help you kill the impossible enemies on top of Gizamaluke's Groto?

It blocks Thundaga, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Concerning Yuna's small party and Tidus, I like the fact he's an idiot reflecting against that and my only real gripe with the game's writing, is there's not enough conflict a.k.a moments where they basically bitchslap him going "shut the gently caress up Tidus oh my Yaevon you are so disrespectful right now sheeeeeesh." Unless I am forgetting a lot of it and I may well be.

There's a point where he says something about punching Seymour and Yuna's just like :geno:.

Aside from that, everyone aside from Wakka seems to realize Seymour is full of poo poo or a weirdo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Mainly because Wakka is the Spira equivalent of a redneck Methodist who absolutely loving devotes himself to Yaevon and despises the Al-Bhed for being heathens, to the point that firstly he hates the poo poo out of Rikku, secondly tries to backpedal the poo poo out of the fact he finds out Yuna is actually half Al-Bhed, and THIRDLY when the Yaevonites go to loving war and bomb the poo poo out of Al-Bhed's homeland he loving LOVES IT and just cracks "like pretty fireworks, ja?!" like the most racist-rear end fuckwit you ever did see.

Then he actually calms down and sort of realises once all the real hypocrisy comes out and admits how much of a douche he's been blindly following an organised religion without any sense of questioning or self-thinking.

In the case of that last one, I think he was trying to cheer Rikku up in the dumbest way possible. That being said, Wakka calming down and his subsequent character arc in X-2 were pretty great moments for him. He even ends up giving his son an Al Bhed name.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Quina is great, and not just because they're a Blue Mage, which are also great. Quale, meanwhile, is a terrible liar. And it's kind of interesting that all Qu names start with Qu.

I'd say the only bad thing about Blue Magic right now is that I don't recall many good attacking skills around this point. Frog Drop won't do much at this point, Aqua Breath is... Yeah, and the other skills rely on you to be at varying points of HP. I generally just had Quina fork things for this point of the game.

Anyway, looking forward to the best minigame next update.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phone did a dumb thing.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sum Mors posted:

None of the characters have good skillsets. One or two abilities are nice, I wouldn't qualify any (outside of ones that do automatic max damage or something) as "great". The rest of the game lies in equipment and passives, as the level 1 run will show.

To be honest, this is pretty true. I don't think I ever really use many of Zidane's skills aside from one we don't have yet and Soul Blade. Steiner's probably the character with the best all-around movepool, if I'm remembering right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On that note, there's an area nearby the area in the next update where you can fight nothing but two Serpions or one Ironite in every encounter. All of these monsters count as dragons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's worth noting that while other races avoid staying in the Mist, the Qu have no problem living in it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Er.... The city we're trying to get to is Mistbound too, isn't it

Ah, true. Burmecia is also within the Mist.

I guess the residents are just used to it somehow. You think they'd be more affected with their likely heightened senses in comparison to humans.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Dr. Tot is the most important unimportant dude in FFIX if you think about it.

Nah, Dr. Tot is cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zeikier posted:

So I decided to do a short comic:

I realized as I drew this that this is the first time I've ever drawn Freya, excluding a tracing I did over a decade ago.

It wouldn't be out of character for her to do that. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be honest, Quina's whole quest, while completely at odds with the plot, is about expanding your horizons and seeing more of the world than your narrow-minded perception of it.

It's like TWEWY, only with a large, comic relief blob monster (wo)man.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've never seen the Friendly Monsters' battle theme called "Aerial Battle" before. Usually it's "Fairy Battle".

That aside, I've heard the Ragtime Mouse is actually a mistranslated name. It's apparently supposed to be Ragtime Mouth. There are a number of mistranslated names in FFIX, and I'll try to point out the ones I know. :eng101:

And Chocobo's Hot and Cold is great. Starts out a little slow, though, since Choco is, ironically, a little sluggish. Fortunately, leveling his Beak up helps make things quicker. And then you start getting the really good upgrades.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vamo'alla Flamenco is one of the five best tracks in the game and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise. :colbert:

Agreed.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 8, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Actually, that's just how he talks. I think. Pretty sure.

Is that so? I might've mentally filled in the blanks in that case. I'll have to check to be sure.

Edit: Seems like I made the mistake! Never mind me, then.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can see why people would dislike this mini-game since, again, it does start out slow and you have to work at raising Choco for it to get really fun.

But, on the other hand, it's not lightning dodging. Or bird dodging. Or butterfly dodging.

Why are most of FFX's minigames about dodging, anyway?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't get it consistently, but I've hit the eight item limit a few times. Mene will tell you to stop so that he doesn't go bankrupt and give you some kind of bonus.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The trick I've seen tends to involve standing in the exact middle of a forest and moving slightly so that the next encounter triggers while you're in the exact middle.

When I used that, it was more often than not the Ragtimer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Poor Steiner. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Going back to re-read old updates, I love how not even the developers or people in-universe know how the card game work.

It's like playing Yu-Gi-Oh with Duelist Kingdom rules or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

zfleeman posted:

I don't know why, but this is my favorite plot device in any story ever. Beating up a guard to steal their uniform is too hysterical.

If you head into the bedroom afterwards, you'll find him locked in the closet and begging to be let out.

Pesky Splinter posted:

(LP Chapter 12 - Steiner talking with Morrid the coffee guy)

I order you to tell me when the cargo ship will arrive! Tell meeeeee!
You're not a very creative interrogator.
I am just trying to do what is right!
Who decides right or wrong? You?
Anyone can tell right from wrong.
Ha ha ha... Still as green as a pickle.
Alexandria, of course! Burmecia started the war, and we lost our king as a result.
Many wars were fought before the Lindblum Airship Revolution. Alexandria initiated some of the wars against Burmecia. Now can you tell me who was right or wrong?
I-I am not talking about the past! I am talking about the future!
What will you do if Alexandria starts a war?
When will the cargo ship arrive!?

Oh Steiner, you goof.

TravelLog posted:

The cut dialogue with Morrid is particularly interesting because of his Ultimania background (as I covered in the bios). He doesn't want to talk about the past to Morrid because 1) he doesn't want to remember the events that led to him being orphaned, and 2) he doesn't want to view the events that led to his tragedy as being anything other than an attack by evil forces upon whom he can lay his anger and grief.

Reminds me of Wakka. Shame we don't have Steiner interact with Freya much to glean that information, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 21, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, Black Waltz #2 showed up and in no uncertain terms said "I'm here to take the Princess back to the castle."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mazed posted:

Despite the number of updates, it feels like we've barely gotten started

I know what you mean, but this is still the beginning of the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Good point. And Steiner does the same thing to Zidane.

Maybe taking people back to the castle and killing anyone who says otherwise is just Alexandria's policy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a fun fact, the first guard gives you an extra bell if you use up all of the ones you have. To prevent you from getting stuck. :eng101:

Quina's Trance is really terrible. Everyone else can become powerful enough to not need to rely on their Trances (though some effects like Double Black are still handy) while Quina's effect is out and out worthless after you learn all of his/her Blue Magic. Unless you just REALLY want to eat an enemy to get the fight over with quicker.

The Lamia in this game is that it has a deeply, manly laugh when it shows up. So, I guess it's a crossdressing male instead of the usual female version?

If you answer "Not really" to this, he says "I hate you." Moogles. :allears:

The earliest memory I have of this game is playing this in elementary school, and being violently murdered by one of these. It's also not the only "painful to fight" enemy up there, though Garuda isn't nearly AS bad.

THIS FUCKER :argh:

This guy is easily the most annoying boss to fight on Disc 1. I actually didn't know about the Tent trick until my fifth or so run through the game, so this was usually the point where I'd get my poo poo kicked in hard while trying to steal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It should be noted that Vivi stops doing his victory dance when you enter this dungeon.

One thing this game does really well is demonstrate emotional distress during battle.

Though, you'd think that Freya would have a mandatory Trance segment at some point during this dungeon given what's happening to Burmecia. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Presumably the guards were carrying more than one apiece originally, since they break on use.

That's probably the case. If you use up all of the bells without getting to the end of the dungeon, you can get a spare bell from his body.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Level spells have the hilarious tradition of having one of two outcomes:

1) Level-5 Death is broken and works on way more enemies than it should be able to (or you can alter enemy levels and then use Level-5 Death on them). All other Level-X spells are terrible.

OR

2) Level-4 Holy is the one non-awful Level-X spell; Level-5 Death works on almost nothing.

I wish I could say for certain which of these held true for FF9, but I never really touched the level abilities in this game because Level 3 Defenseless didn't really wow me.

I mean setting both defenses to 0 sounds good, but somehow it manages to be so underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Books are a good weapon. Words that kill.

• Locked thread