Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Hot drat, a FF9 LP. I'm in the middle of a replay of it myself (currently just about to get Eiko), but reading this as well will be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Dastardly posted:

I've spent way too much time thinking about what the voice cast would be like if IX had voices. Sadly Cristopher Lee is no longer of this world.

Bryce Papenbrook did a pretty solid job for Zidane's voice in Dissidia, so he'd be a good choice.

Vivi also has an on-record voice actor with Melissa Disney, who voiced him in his Kingdom Hearts 2 cameo.

But man, what I wouldn't give for a FF9 remake. At the very least, a fix for a certain mechanic that Mega64 will get to shortly would be MANDATORY.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 10, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Ugh, Trance. The biggest annoyance about it is that if it activates and you end a battle without using all of it up, it STILL goes all the way down to 0. This leads to situations where you have one character select an attack, the sole monster left attacks immediately after you pick your action and hits a character with a nearly-full Trance gauge, activates their Trance, then your attack goes off and ends the battle, completely wasting the Trance and all the time the character spent building it up.

This happens far more frequently than you'd think, and it never fails to be infuriating.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Speaking of stealing, I'm just about to fight Hilgigars in my current playthrough.

Most of you that have played through disc 2 probably have eyes twitching right about now. This is always the worst fight. :sigh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Brony Hunter posted:

That was the first boss with the 1/256 chance of stealing[ his fourth item right?

Aye. Well, technically the second; the first is the boss at the end of Burmecia, who I probably shouldn't name even in spoilers, but that one only has a Mythril Sword that you can buy in the very next town (plus the fight is on a time limit with a ton of dialog before it, so trying to grab the sword is just not worth it at all). The boss I'm fighting has a weapon that I normally won't be able to get for several hours and has some good abilities attached to it.

EDIT: I got it! Only took about 40 minutes too! That's a new record, I think.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 10, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that sucks at getting a full 100 Impressed Nobles. I used to be able to do it after a ton of tries, but either I'm getting older and slower or playing on a PS3 makes it harder, because I just couldn't do it this time. I got 98 a few times and 99 once, but never 100. After an hour or two, I said "gently caress it" and downloaded a save off GameFAQs that had 100 impressed nobles (and Jump Rope King, but I don't really care about that one).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Glazius posted:

Wild Arms 2 says hi.

Anyway, I really like how this game uses its stage aesthetic to good comedic effect.

Wild Arms 3's system is much the same. The system isn't without its flaws, though. Namely, the requiring of a certain level of Force to use your abilities. Everyone has super-cool moves that they can only use at 100 FP and completely wipes it all out, but using them will leave that character unable to use their Arcana abilities (which also requires them to be at a certain level of FP, but does not actually consume it) until they get their FP back. The physical characters don't mind this so much since they can fall back on Attacks without being left helpless, but spellcaster-types like Lilka, Tim, Virginia and Gallows are practically useless for at least the next round or two.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I never had a problem with Trance. Most of the abilities are relatively more powerful than previous Limit Breaks. Especially considering that the maximun HP anything in this game has is 65,535. I have no idea why it's that low when even Final Fantasy VI gave you one with 70,000. If you could activate your entire party's Trance's at once, nothing at all would stand a chance.

HP totals in this game are so low because you're limited to one-hit attacks in this one, much like you were in FF4. FF5 and 6 started adding in powerful attacks that can hit multiple times, but it wasn't until FF7 and 8 that they really started bringing in the Completely loving Overpowered multi-hit attacks like Omnislash or Lionheart that pretty much required them to start going past the 65536 cap and six and even seven digit HP bosses. FF9 was meant as a return to classic Final Fantasy, hence the simpler attacks and boss Hit Points.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kemix posted:

Oh yea. Love those abilities. Don't love how you max out a couple of them though. Eating all the frogs forever and grinding out like...what? 99+ dragons for the other? Thankfully, a couple of them you'll likely max out through play. Zidane's immediately comes to mind, maxing out over the course of successful steals you get. Which is easy as gently caress if you're deciding to steal rare items from trash mobs.

Dragon Crest (the one built up by killing dragons is easier to build up than you'd think, given that there's a dragon monster that gives out a ton of experience and is extremely easy to kill with a certain ability, making it one of the best monsters in the game to grind on. And Steiner can get a powerful attack that's an easy 9999 right from the get-go. Vivi can also hit the damage cap easily enough thanks to his ReflectX2 ability, especially if you slap Auto-Reflect on everyone. So really, over half the main cast can hit the damage cap, and the rest have powerful attacks that can at least approach it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Brony Hunter posted:

But what if I need them later?! :ohdear:

I always save them up too. And then I get Chakra, which is effectively free MP, so I sell most of them.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Steiner, a thief with the theater troupe Steiner, conspires with his allies Steiner, Steiner, Steiner, and Steiner to kidnap Princess Steiner. Meanwhile, a young black mage named Steiner collides with a rat kid named Steiner and the two work together to sneak into the castle to see the play, I Want To Be Your Steiner.

FFIX definitive edition.

Heh, there was an LP like that on a private forum I frequent. The result was naturally hilarious.

(late game screenshot, but no spoilers that I'm aware of)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

mkwong98 posted:

BTW Mega64, do you have any plan to finish your Harvest Moon LP?

Seconding this. I was really enjoying that one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I really don't like the random luck factor in Tetra Master. I lost one important game when I lost every single arrow match despite having the stronger card pretty much every time, including a powerful Shiva card against a scrub early-game monster with almost no attack or defense. Shiva started with like 75 points to the other card's 18 or so; Shiva's dropped like a rock while the other card lost like 2-3 points. It's absolutely infuriating when "random" basically translates to "giving the computer an extreme advantage by removing any element of strategy".

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

DanielCross posted:

I don't know if he's doing the Expert Sphere Grid, but Dark Id has mentioned he wants to go back to his FFX LP after finishing his current one.

He was playing the PS2 version, so it'd presumably be the normal one. Then again, he might have bought (or will buy) the HD version rather than replace his busted PS2, so we'll have to see if he resumes his old file or goes with HD and goes back to where he was.

Also, that was before Nier 2 was announced. Though I doubt that one will come out before he finishes Drakengard 3, but who knows.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kemix posted:

For everyone playing this for the first time, I would like to stress ONE little important fact. SELL NO EQUIPMENT it has it's uses even after the fact it sucks and you learned every ability from it...except not every piece of equipment gets that treatment...we'll see what I mean a few updates from now I'm sure.

EDIT: I should probably talk less about that function until it's officially revealed.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

Vanish has the bonus property of letting the user always hit enemies with physical attacks.

(Psst! Other way around! Physicals always miss, spells always hit.)

Auto-Regen is seriously the best. And Spirit is pretty much The Most Important Stat, which is part of what makes Zidane and Steiner so good (I believe the two of them have the highest Spirit stats among the party).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

No no, physicals always miss you when you are effected by Vanish, but YOUR physical attacks always hit. It is a nice feature when you can put vanish on a heavy hitter like Steiner to make sure his attacks get through.

*goes back and rereads what Mega posted*

Huh, didn't read that carefully enough. My bad. A neat feature I didn't know about, too! Today's a good day.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

SonicRulez posted:

The only thing I don't like is you don't get the chance to change it back. At least from what I remember. I think there comes a point where you could have. And chosen from a few worthy choices to rename.

There's an NPC in a late-game town that can change names for you... as long as you have a specific card. One that you only have two chances to obtain before the guy shows up and can't be obtained ever if you miss them both. Thanks, FF9.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
On the subject of Vivi's physical attacks, I do find a particular use for them early on, when a certain character's ability set makes it more practical to weaken (and not kill) certain monsters. The specifics will obviously come up later, but Vivi's physical attacks do low but not insignificant damage, making him perfect for the job of Pokemon'ing that poo poo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people that have played the whole series, if that's what you meant. I'm guessing the percentage of FF fans who have played all 12 non-MMO mainline installments is probably like 3%.

That's probably a bit low. I'm guessing plenty of fans have at least played all 12 non-MMOs.

Now, actually beating all of them? 3% is probably accurate there. I myself have yet to finish 3 or 12. They be my not-so-private shames.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Litany Unheard posted:

It's me, I've played all of them.

Ask me which one is best. I'm sure the discussion that ensues will be stimulating.

Edit: It is, of course, Final Fantasy XIII that finally perfected the formula after the gross missteps of FF XII.

I actually thought FFXIII was alright. Not GREAT, mind you, but it had some neat ideas, even if they were bogged down by a few really bad calls. Game Over if the party leader dies? That is NEVER a good idea! Especially if the other two can revive the leader!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

SorataYuy posted:

Ah yeah, sorry about that, I didn't mean to be unclear there. No, you're just fine, I was just meaning in general, FF fans have sometimes made me hide my interest in the series, because otherwise I get to "hear all about the (self-insert) story [they] wrote about Kain's sister in 4, that changed the way the story went and everyone loved her and she made Kain stop being crazy and brainwashed much earlier in the story". *eye-twitch*

To be fair, this isn't exactly unique to FF. This is like 98% of all fanfiction. There's a reason I never read the stuff. It's not even good for a cheap laugh like most badly-written stories are.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
The big problem is that FFXI definitely did not invite itself to casual playing at all. You couldn't just pop in and go kill stuff for a while and then log out when you got bored. Not if you wanted to progress at a decent rate. The best sources of experience and quality drops inevitably required parties to fight. Furthermore, you couldn't just throw a party together and start rolling in experience. Each job was highly specialized for one or two tasks, and people usually wanted all their bases covered in the limited six-person party ("Optimal" parties went something like healer/tank/back-up tank/nuker/buffer/misc), so frequently all parties would be full, or the ones with open slots would already have your niche filled. When it takes hours just to get into a party, that's a problem for people who only have a couple hours a day to play games (durn work, durn social life, durn sleep). It requires a rather large time investment that many people simply don't have or care to give. This might not have been as much of a problem if the game were free-to-play, but since it's a minimum of $13 a month, a lot of people felt it was too much to pay for gameplay that's basically 3 hours of setup and 3 minutes of fighting.

Nowadays I hear it's more open to solo and casual play, but kinda late for that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, from what I hear the exp loss on death was a big sticking point. Though from what I'm seeing, exp loss never exceeds 2400 (was this a recent change? I don't remember that limit), so it's not quite THAT bad (not as bad as, say, Maple Story), but still, you could lose a couple hours' worth of dull, repetitive work from just one unlucky turn.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

mauman posted:

Never thought I'd see that opinion.

Every time I played ffix (including the very first time) Zidane ended up being down right stupidly powerful.

This is true. Even without his abilities (most of which are useless outside of Trance anyway), he's got drat solid stats all around and decent equipment options (armor is a bit on the weak side early on, but he's got high enough HP to compensate for that). OK, maybe he'd be a little gimped if you have him in garbage equipment, but if you manage to make him COMPLETELY useless, that's more on you rather than Zidane.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Well to be fair, there aren't a lot of videogame characters whose chest is as in your face as Lani's. Hell, I can't stop looking at it and I'm gay as poo poo. That's impressive.

Wait, I thought you were female, and thus being gay as poo poo would be a help in that case rather than a hindrance. Or am I mistaken and you're a guy? I might be thinking of someone else (probably Camel Pimp, who I thought was a dude at first and later learned was female).

One of these days I'll get on inventing that device that identifies the gender of everyone on the internet. I'll be rich! Up until I'm murdered by a horde of angry GIRLs that got pissed that I killed their trolling gimmick, but so it goes.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, FF1 was the "first" game to not have the 9999 damage limit. And no, reflecting a multi-target spell only hits once.

Well, technically, it's four split-damage spells that delivers hits randomly to the enemy party (sorta like Rapid-Fire from FFV or the Offering relic from FFVI) that all count as one hit, so while it's still restricted by the 9999 damage cap, you'll still deal twice the normal damage if all four Reflected spells hit the same target. Better yet, Vivi can eventually get a passive skill that makes it even better.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Which is really odd when the made that FFXIII recap video in FFVI era sprites.

The FFV/VI mobile ports don't look particularly HD to me, just.. wrong.

I don't mind the sprites personally (most of them, anyway; Kefka looks fuckin' WEIRD), but mostly because I was getting sick of the tiny-rear end SNES/GBA sprites. Even a change for the worse is still a change.

Still, they could've just gone with the team that did the graphics for FF1/2/4 PSP. Now THOSE were good poo poo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I really like Amarant, though I'm one of the few that does. That said, in battle he's a solid physical character, he has a skill that restores MP to any character (who needs Ethers anymore?), and another one that adds weaknesses ala FF6's Debilitator. The last two make him a really powerful character to pair with casters like Vivi and Dagger. He's one of the few characters without an easy 9999 attack skill, but No Mercy is powerful enough to at least come close. All-in-all he's much better than people give him credit for.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

The issue with Amarant is that he shows up so late in the game that you probably already have a party and a playstyle worked out. You could take the time to figure out how to incorporate a new person, but if you've got something that works, why change it?

I dunno, it's kind of hard to have a particular favorite team when they keep throwing people out and bringing new people in. And when he joins you've got two characters who at that point are pretty much identical in playstyle, so there's absolutely no reason not to switch one of them out and try Amarant for a while.

Wow, we are all just throwing around black text like crazy. That's cool, right Mega?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
We're also ignoring the fact that Beatrix is 27 years old to Steiner's 33. Not much of an age difference now, but 15-20 years ago? She would've been a very young teenager at best, against a nearly full-grown Steiner. Regardless of how naturally talented she was, Steiner's significantly larger size would've made it a fairly even match.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

TravelLog posted:

For those wondering about the duel, it was 10 years before the start of the game, when Steiner was 23. Steiner had been the Alexandrian army for 7 years by that time. The prize was to have a request granted by the Queen. Steiner chose the captainship of the Knights of Pluto.

So what are the details of this duel anyway? Is it just that Steiner won by luck, or is there a more detailed description? I seriously want to know more about this.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

MonsieurChoc posted:

John Cleese would actually be Cid.

I can agree with this. Cleese is amazing but his voice is just a bit too high-pitched for what I picture Steiner as sounding like. But Cid, drat, he'd do amazing there.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bad Seafood posted:

The next party member.

Nah, that one would be Ahmed Best.

Though the aforementioned character's master would be a perfect fit for Gottfried.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

TravelLog posted:

Gilbert Gottfried voices one of Zorn or Thorn, while Andy Dick voices the other.
Considering a certain super-spoilery aspect of their characters, they should probably have similar voices.

Once again, I wish Robin Williams was still alive. He'd voice both of them and it'd be phenomenal.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: when you're running him around town, Zidane will turn his head to ogle any pretty girls he passes by. The best example is the redhead who wanders around in the shopping square, you'll see a lot of her if you do the cotton robe trick often.

And not just attractive females too. He tracks pretty much any female NPC (well, maybe not little girls, since that would be creepy, but I can't recall if he does or not), even fat and/or old ones, and even ladies of different races (I'm pretty sure I've seen him ogle rat ladies). Zidane leers at ladies of all walks. :wiggle:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 7, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kemix posted:

Like the above posters have said, It really is better to let Zidane lose to Freya, which you can easily do by running out the clock on the Zaghnol fight with Freya in the lead or let her fell it with the last attack (After stealing everything of course), since it gets you the Thunder Absorbing Coral Ring (Which incidentally lets Freya learn her Lancer ability far earlier than you normally would, make Freya do more damage than she would normally with regular attacks/jump AND give her MP (10 a pop) a use until she gets a free Mythril Spear for Reis' Wind). Vivi wins a card. SINGULAR. ONE. A PILE OF poo poo ON A PLATE AND A SLAP IN THE FACE. And Zidane, along with bragging rights and a big (metaphorical) dick, gets 5,000 Gil...which even at that point is loving pitiful to say the least.

On the flipside, 5,000 gil is more than it costs to make a Coral Ring (materials + base cost will come out to about 2660 gil, almost half of what Zidane gets), so in the end it's more economical to let Zidane win. You really don't need the Coral Ring that early anyway. There's not a whole lot of things that thunder absorption will help with, unless you're hunting Grand Dragons (and honestly, why would you care to blow what little challenge the game has out of the water like that?), and Lancer is not that great of an attack, given that Jump will get more damage and the MP damage is negligible, hitting for double-digit MP drain against either normal enemies that will die quickly anyway, or bosses with several thousand MP.

In the end though, it's down to personal preference, and since it won't make a huge deal of difference either way, I prefer to let Zidane win since he's the main character. It just feels WEIRD to me to let Freya take the crown, badass though she is.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Sum Mors posted:

Was going to post this. Have a picture! Pictured left to right: Paine, Yuna, Rikku.

I still love how each of them is carrying one of Lulu's dolls from FFX for even more reference fun (you can't see it very well in the pic, but Paine is carrying a Cactuar doll). Shame none of them had the Onion Knight.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I remember that in one of the preview shots a while before this game was released, Zidane doesn't go with the subtle-as-a-brick "company" line. Instead, he asks outright, "Maybe you should just sleep with me?" Probably an early line that was directly translated and far less blatant in whatever wording the Japanese version used. Still, a MORE direct Zidane would probably be a scary thing.

quote:

So, when smooth talk fails, go directly to begging. The winning strategy of losers everywhere! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

The Wild Arms series kinda sorta count too. I mean yeah, a ton of playable characters use guns (in fact pretty much everyone in the later games), but for the most part we're using ye olde summoned magick entity powers to combat metal machine-like demons who usually get better mechanical toys than our dudes do.

• Locked thread