Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Sum Mors posted:

To everyone who thinks any character you've seen so far is the best: You're dead wrong. We haven't met him her it yet. Soon though. Soon. (If Mega shows it)

E: He already passed it. :(

If it's the character I think you meant, no he didn't. You can only first meet said character when running around as Steiner in the castle, looking for the rest of the knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

OFS, you blaggard. I had suppressed my memories of how it once took me two minutes to catch Dojebon. *collapses into fetal position under desk* (video works now, by the way)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Dang you Mega64, I just turned on my PSOne, dusted off my copy of the game, and started playing. XD

Edit: Or... maybe not, judging by how my console isn't loading things properly (selected "New Game", and it went to a black screen, with The Place I'll Return to Someday just endlessly playing. drat.)

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 9, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Agreed.

That means shut the gently caress up about talking about it and talk about something else.

As requested, topic change:

In other news, I saw something about a fellow apparently named Mega64 is gonna be at a con this weekend, where Jon St. John (voice of Duke Nukem and Big the Cat, among others) is also attending. This your plans for this weekend, or is someone else out there using your handle?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Mega64 posted:

You're probably thinking of these guys.

Well now I'm all sadz, because I have friends going to that con (I live in the state it's in), and I was going to tell them to say "hi" and stuff.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

cbservo posted:

Don't forget the EVIL NO REALLY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SHOCKING YOU GUYS THE CHURCH IS EVIL religion of Grandia 2.

poo poo, it wasn't even the whole church, either, just the head of it and the Elites. The tiny village branches were full of nice people and clergy. (I'm still trying to bring myself to play that game a second time, interesting battle system and Millenia or no. :smithicide: )

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mauman posted:

So that would mean that Final Fantasy (for me) is a series consisting of 4,6, and 9 with 1 and 12 coming in as an honorable mention.

Something I'm starting to take away from this and the 7 thread:
A lot of Final Fantasy "fans" seem to be really fans of just a couple of them, the series as a whole is something only about 50-55% of the fans have played and enjoyed most of. I'm seeing more evidence for this theory as time goes on.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

You mean you think that people have different preferences? That's a pretty bold theory there.

If by "preferences" you mean "finding some of the oddest reasons to be big whiny babbies", then yes.

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 23, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mauman posted:

Don't see any whining here. Just people having opinions.

Having opinions != Whining.

Just saying.

Now if you're talking about the ff7 thread, I wouldn't know anything about that thread.

I just mean the Final Fantasy fandom in general has turned out, at least in my experience, to be one of the biggest group of overgrown, selective-memoried, apparently-drug-addled whiny babbies that are never loving happy with anything done with this series, that I have ever had the misfortune to run across. Here, it has been a little different for the most part - I've actually enjoyed the discussions most of the time, it's been interesting. Enjoying the heck out of the thread, too, especially since I've been unable to get my system running or emulator configured properly (I miss being able to play my PSX games. :'( )

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mauman posted:

I see. Since you quoted me I thought maybe you were referring to me, which had me slightly confused.

Never mind then.

Ah yeah, sorry about that, I didn't mean to be unclear there. No, you're just fine, I was just meaning in general, FF fans have sometimes made me hide my interest in the series, because otherwise I get to "hear all about the (self-insert) story [they] wrote about Kain's sister in 4, that changed the way the story went and everyone loved her and she made Kain stop being crazy and brainwashed much earlier in the story". *eye-twitch*

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Bufuman posted:

To be fair, this isn't exactly unique to FF. This is like 98% of all fanfiction. There's a reason I never read the stuff. It's not even good for a cheap laugh like most badly-written stories are.

She made it worse - she was part of my social circle in college, and somehow assumed I A) Always wanted to hear about her characters, and B) that she had any real skill at telling stories about her role-playing characters that in any way at all made them interesting to hear. Especially with how often they were pretty blatant rip-offs of whatever JRPG she happened to have been into that month. One can only really take so many "thrilling" tales of the latest BadAzz thing done by a player who only seems to know how to Roll-play before one starts to make bad mental associations. To this day I run screaming from the room when people try to discuss Outlaw Star with me (the group ruined that one for me by feeling the need to verbally act out something not too dissimilar from that which you'd get in a F.A.T.A.L. game.) :suicide:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Mega64 posted:

You hang out with weird people.

e: Also, if you judge media and their fandoms based on the extreme crazies, boy do I have some bad news for you.

College-me was still relearning some essential life lessons (long story.) "Just because you have interests in common, doesn't mean they're going to be the best people to be friends with" got tattooed on my brain and became almost a reflex reaction by the time I finished my associate's.

Ha, nah, I don't really judge media and fandoms by that criteria. It's just harder to concentrate on the good when you can still remember people that insisted some odd things, like "Tifa/Rinoa/Garnet are all the same character!"
Me: "Okay... why do you say this?"
"Because they all look alike! Henceforth they shall be known as Tifa/Tifa Clone 1/Tifa Clone 2!"
Me: *applies DeskOn to try to get the stupid to not take root in my brain*

I'm not exaggerating. This guy insisted they were even written exactly the same, dialogue and story arc-wise. I knew some weird fuckers, it was like at that point in my life, I was some sort of mental illness/issues magnet. Hell, maybe that's why I barely play the series any more, too many trippy mental associations attached to let me enjoy it in peace.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

VagueRant posted:

The FF wiki tells me this image is Zidane's dagger with Dagger's necklace...but I still can't seem to make sense of it. It still just looks like some sort of weird streetlight to me.

I'm also surprised I'm not super familiar with the image given how much FFIX killed me.

Zidane's dagger is on the upper left of the post/rod/whatever, Dagger's pendant is hanging right off it (the bit that makes it look like a streetlight). Pretty sure the dagger is broken, too, which is why they appear to be just a couple of handles strapped to the whatever.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Gnoman posted:

I've always been under the impression that this is a Resident Evil 2 reference, as that game required you to insert a medal into a similarly-themed statue. Was that ever confirmed or refuted? It seems like an odd thing to reference in an FF game.

Actually, I wonder if that's just Zidane being a smartass. Like, "Oh, wow, this guy is so great, let's give him a medal, too. *rolls eyes* "

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

TravelLog posted:

Gilbert Gottfried voices one of Zorn or Thorn, while Andy Dick voices the other.

Now why would you wish that horrible fate upon the second jester? :ohdear:

Silas Cumberbatch voices Zorn, David Tennant voices Thorn. The internet would explode from the fangasm.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is that what Gysahl Pickles do to you?!

If by "Gysahl Pickles" you mean having to give Queen Brahne a pedicure, then yes.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Edward_Tohr posted:

but I think I've already spent enough time to lock myself out of Excalibur II, and....

Psst. That's why you Gameshark it in later. gently caress this "12 hour time limit" bullshit, the person who made that hates everyone and everything that is good. Otherwise they wouldn't have forced people to rush through and ignore this lively game, all for equipment for just one character.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That sword is a 1/128 drop that's available for a limited time. A simple dice roll, though one not really in your favor.

It's also much easier to actually get without having to step-by-step follow a "perfect"* guide, it just requires the player to take advantage of an exploit in the combat system.

*Perfect in everything but grammar, from what I'm seeing. FAQer needs to get their rear end back to a remedial English course.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Cockblocking Zidane is a reward unto itself.

He does it to himself enough that we hardly need to take an active hand in it. And that's why this game is so great. :allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

Not sure exactly how relevant it is to FFIX's situation but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

It's relevant because someone in the castle at Alexandria is obsessed with building a bigger, badder army made up of a new tech.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

Overlord II had shades of this? And depending on how you're playing, Overlord I/Raising Hell is definitely slanted a bit like this.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

BioMe posted:

Plus you know if you can afford to just sit there for 10 minutes trying to steal poo poo you probably don't need some power leveling scheme to beat the next boss either.

You're not supposed to power level in this game anyway, skills and equipment are the one weird secret to success, not arbitrary progress numbers (although they help, thanks to the HP gains.) If you're power-leveling you're a scrub, doing it wrong, and can tits or gtfo.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

"Fixing" FFIX is a much less ambitious task than fixing FFVIII.

Why do people concentrate on "fixing" the games that aren't code-broken? This baffles me. FF6 was as broken as a Black Lotus, yet I've never heard of any modders trying to "fix" that buggy thing. 2 and 3 were heinously broken, and I think I've only heard of one project to fix 2 so some of the resistances actually work, yet people are out there making mods to "fix" the games that aren't broken. Some peoples' priorities. :sigh:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Some people like the gameplay of FF9 but wish it was more challenging, or better balanced, whatever that might entail. This isn't that hard to figure out.

It just makes little sense to me because if one wants a more challenging game, then one should - go play a more challenging game. Ain't rocket magic.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

I kinda get the impression SorataYuy is being intentionally thick to stick to their point.

I kinda get the impression that you missed my point, which isn't any of that stuff you're spouting. It's this thing called "per-son-al pref-er-ence". I am a-llow-ed to be puzzled by the attitude of "this game is so great, let's make it BETTER by making it BRAIN-BLEEDINGLY DIFFICULT and spending untold hours of my finite mortality on changing it, instead of making my own game entirely and maybe getting reparations for my labors!" Because seriously, the majority of the time, that mindset leads to loving browser-camping at fanfiction.net. And no one wants that.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

eating only apples posted:

"I have played this game to death. I know it inside out. It would be pretty fun if it were more of a challenge to me."

Is that acc-ep-ta-ble to you or are you going to continue being con-des-cend-ing?

Huh. So the thought of "I have played this game to death, maybe I should leave it alone for a while" just never pops up, then? Or even "I am a master at this game, and that's good enough for me"? (In all seriousness, no, I really don't grok obsessive personalities.)

I just mi-ght, as I am ca-pa-ble of it. Some-times it is e-ven fun. :cheeky:

Edit: yes, to be on topic, though, how much left do you have of Lindblum, Mega? I haven't had the chance to play the game in a few years, but I remember plot-wise and exploration-wise, the place is sodding huge. Like, Midgar might be physically larger, but Lindblum had a ton more life, places to explore, and people to talk to, huge.

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 20, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

It's not just the hackers, honestly. That sort of thing is a big part of fan translation culture.

Stuff like that is why sometimes, yes, I do occasionally deliberately "not understand" it. Not to stick to my original point out of stubbornness as I've been accused of, but because sometimes, it's the only way to stop myself from flipping out and choking a bitch. Also, y'know - :effort:.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

I haven't actually played this game, but with the description for the master hunter mentioning the sky, does it change depending on the winner? What are the descriptions for the other winners?

If it does change, the internet might be unaware of it. 15 minutes with Google and GameFAQs has revealed nothing. I did win it as Zidane a few times, and I don't quite remember it having different text? Pretty sure it stays the same no matter who gets it.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Rarity posted:

Unlike the likes of Rinoa she's not being told what to do or along for the ride on the main character's ride, she makes decisions and follows through on them.

Rinoa made her own decisions. She attempted to seal the Sorceress' power on her own (yes, it necessitated her rescue, but she had no idea Edea was that powerful until she was being suspended by one hand in the air), she decided there was no way in hell she was letting Irvine rescue just her (beat the crap out of him until he went back for the others, remember?), and decided she wanted to help the SeeDs out, since they had helped her group out far beyond what the terms of a contract had called for. How is any of that not making decisions and following through on them?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

TravelLog posted:

Gau's rages were in 6.

Wait. Wait, wait wait, wait.

Gau had a use beyond padding the game and drawing fire for your more useful party members? :aaaaa:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Xenocides posted:

Agreed, historians and scholars are much more valuable to have around in RPG worlds where every legend and myth is absolutely and unambiguously true.

For that matter, except for Brave Fencer Musashi and Grandia II, have there ever been any RPGs where the legends and myths turned out to be wrong? Like completely, utterly, got everything completely the opposite of what the truth actually was, and it was mostly just made up because... well, just because.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

SgCloud posted:

Is it actually possible to get all the treasured on the map without finding the corresponding clues?

Nope! The game won't let you dig up the treasures unless you are specifically looking for it, via use of the Chocographs.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

The weird thing is that at this point, I'd actually put books down as more in the 'uncommon but not unusual' weapon category. They're commonplace enough especially with Scholar-type characters, even if they're terrible weapons. Same with other unconventional weapons like fans.

I dunno, hit someone upside the head with the spine from a D&D manual hard enough, and it can do some pretty hefty damage.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

The maximum is 303 points, the guide says it's not humanly possible; I very much believe that, as I also believe that there were hours spent on trying. 100 is indeed the minimum, and it'll show up on a letter later I think, which will be readable always (much like the jump rope scoreboard), so it needs to be neat.

The more you talk about that guide, the more I can't help but picture the author as Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, but even stranger and more anal-retentive and annoying. Like the type of neckbearded goon even the gooniest of goons looks at, and just shakes their head in pity and disgust.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Endorph posted:

'this dude did something kind of nerdy in a really roundabout way in his free time. i have deemed him to have no worth as a human being.' *is posting in a thread where someone exhaustively screenshots and describes every single part of an 80-hour-long video game*

Huh. The acoustics in here must be really bad or something, I could have sworn I said (and meant!) something else entirely, but I shall of course, bow to you, the Superior Being. For you have obviously mastered Online Telepathy, that rare gift that lets you see across the miles and understand exactly what someone meant even if that's not at all what they actually said. Go, go! Your talents are obviously wasted here upon lesser beings such as myself!

To get back on the topic of the game:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alexandria also looks a bit like Cornelia Castle, and there's an Ice Cavern in FFI as well.

I actually kind of missed noticing the castle resemblances. At least the second Ice Cavern doesn't have the parties full of "HAHA, START OVER", though.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

You didn't like the dungeon with no save points and a wide variety of monsters with petrify(?)/stun/instakill?
gently caress the FF1 ice cave.

Oh yeah, totally loved it! Because if there's anything I adore, it's beating my head against the same wall repeatedly, hoping for that one lucky magic time that doesn't result in tears of frustration and/or breaking something out of same emotion! Can't get enough of it, total masochist!
gently caress it in the left earhole.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Endorph posted:

how is this not an insult man.

Because making an observation or expressing an opinion, is not the same thing as an insult. The observation was merely that "wow, there is knowing your stuff and being a pro, and then there's the guy who wrote that guide, who sounds like he went off his meds a long time ago, and looks it." Also, I do this weird thing - I try to only say exactly what I mean. If you want to feel I am implying insult, that's on you. The question I have now is A. Why automatically assume insult? And B. Why take a comment not aimed at you at all so personally?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Endorph posted:

the level 1 gamefaqs guide person is cool, and i would be his or her friend.

Please find the Edit button already. It's a friendly button, with nothing scary about it. :)

Edit: also, I'm not talking about a level 1 guide. OFS is doing a good job there. I'm talking about the "Perfect run" guide Simply Simon is sharing excerpts from, where the object is to get everything possible while still shooting for a speedrun of under 12 hours, which inevitably will include a few hundred resets. Oh, and it also gives directions that can be summed up as "you get random points in the Festival from this particular encounter but aim for 100 exactly because that's a nice round number that triggers this other thing (that you get for a minimum 100 anyway...)" which then needs *more* resets, and replaying and THIS IS FUN, RIGHT??? (Double edit: huh. so it -is- a level 1 guide, as I just discovered. And the dude spent 10 years, planning, writing and editing it. ...That's way past the level of obsession I was thinking, drat. :wth: )
As for the "circlejerk", if that's what you want to read into it, whatevs, bud. In all seriousness though, if you really have such an issue with my worldview - please just take it up in the PMs. Okay? :)

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 29, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Casual detected. :spergin:

Yeah, if you don't max out your game clock on mini-games and sidequests, like playing the Snowboard simulator in the Gold Saucer for over 8 hours straight, why you... you might as well not even be playing, you filthy, filthy casual. :spergin:
Not guilty of that on purpose, nope, why do you ask? Stop looking at me like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm pretty sure that Unlimited Saga is actually an eldritch abomination that just manifests partially in our world as a video game. He didn't make it, he summoned it.

Not even the fun of Hillary Haag as a character voice could save that game. So many levels of terribleness, all at once. :gonk:

• Locked thread