Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

why is spotlight in two places anyway? left of the home screen and above as well. and they're both different.

some real android level nonsense here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

people on twitter are legit anti-adblock. i didn't realize this was an actual thing

i don't understand how twitter isn't capitalizing on this
they might actually make money for once

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah i mean more.

instead things are getting privatized and budgets cut

and this is in a time when you can't sell newspapers or magazines any more, which intrinsically had "DRM", being physical. point being the reliance on advertising to monetize is growing. combined with the issues of data mining and native advertising, it's a minefield to just read the news without getting infected with a tracking cookie or read or watch content that was secretly bought and paid for.

so what do we do when society absolutely needs something but it can't be reliably produced by the market using the profit incentive? more public funding. but we're doing the opposite.

new media sites killed old media by giving away the content of real journalists for free, now its time for they're just deserts

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

marco already took peace down from the app store

http://www.marco.org/2015/09/18/just-doesnt-feel-good

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

classy as always

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

can ios ad blockers do content injection? for example if someone were to request jquery version X from goog's cdn could you intercept the request and replace it with a local static copy of that version of jquery or maybe redirect to another cdn?

nah
I'm pretty sure all you can do is give safari a list of urls like easylist to block

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

oh, is it safari only? that's retarded.

and any apps that embed safari

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

methinks marco should have had this epiphany in the days or weeks of development before publishing it to the App Store for $3.99 USD

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I can't even tell the difference, nerds

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

my Air 2 arrives today :smugmrgw:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

ios9 made my 5s freaking slow as h*ck, it sucks

works for me

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

my new iPad Air 2 came today, but with iOS 8.4

Tim!! :argh:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

discoveryd suited my needs exceptionally well

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

uh sorry guys. so.

the more i hear about 3d touch the more impressed i get. it didn't really wow me when i first saw the keynote but things like the left edge app switch and the cursor/text select sound really good

the left edge app switch one is probably the dumbest use of 3d touch because its just a duplicate of double tap home button except harder to do if you hold the phone in your right hand

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cremnob posted:

lol crystal is taking money from the ABP guys to whitelist ad networks

buy purify for 99 cents

wait why is an ad blocker paying another ad blocker to allow ads?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

its cool how apple keeps adding things to make the keyboard taller and less usable on small screens

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i don't really "use" twitter but the official client is very needs suiting so why should i pay for one?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the twitter app has a :justpost: button and thats really all i need

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

a bespoke artisinal twitter client for sending out 140 character bursts of wisdom

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ya I saw wwdc too

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

the all caps keyboard looks very orderly, but the lowercase one looks like someone dropped letters all over the place

ya thats called the latin alphabet, bud

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MrMoo posted:

1.8GB download for iOS 9.0.2, :lol: Good job iTunes.

uhh its 61mb for me
i think you did something wrong

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

carry on then posted:

congratulations macintards, you now own products with literally zero advantages over pcs

pc master race

so it runs OS X ?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

poty posted:

does overcast still fail to support video because gently caress that

video... podcasts?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

when did apple keyboards stop having usb hubs built into them

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cremnob posted:

LOL this chick wrote about marco going free for his app and saying anyone can do it and marco is mad as heck. hes retweeting nerds and being the diva he is

http://samanthabielefeld.com/journal/the-elephant-in-the-room

https://twitter.com/s_bielefeld

cant wait for him tof uck up and say somethign sexist

this exchange makes no sense to me and i even read it upside down or however twitter orders messages

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cremnob posted:

as i expected the beef with marco and the chick has continued and has gone down toward anti-women in tech whicch is pretty epic cause it ruins marco's "brand" even more

even nilay has decided to get in on it (hes another marco hater)

i don't know what any of that dumb crap is

is this supposed to make sense?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

behold! my crummy 3rd party mail app has 2 messages: squarespace and nilay patel...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

fits my needs posted:

lol so apple music is down to 6 mil from 11 mil when the free subscription ended. just lol.

nice job willfully ignoring that there are still another 8 million customers on the free trial i guess

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

if you want to look at free to paid conversion, spotify's numbers are horrendous. 80% of their users don't pay them a dime

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stymie posted:

look, i'll lay it out here because you're struggling with this: apple music, like other similar services, was created with the intent that all subscribers, whether they are paying or not, have a monetized value to the service provider and, in turn, the content providers enabling the service to exist

basically, i'm giving apple more credit than you seem to be which is strange

when those subscribers decline 50% in the quarter, there is no meaningful distinction because all subscribers, whether they are paying or not, are valuable and therefore the value of the service has declined to the content providers

when the value of a service declines to such a drastic degree it is reasonable to declare that it is a flop

what value do non paying customers have?
and don't say ads because apple has literally never done anything that was ad-supported

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stymie posted:

they are consuming the content which is a prerequisite for paying for the content through any number of other sources, such as itunes

but why should they pay for it if apple themselves are giving it away

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

actually the Apple Music interface is great and I don't know what you nerds are whining about

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I don't use android keyboards but I'm going to get a lot of use out of the middle finger emoji in 9.1

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Look at the guy with the weird doomguy av calling people nerds

i dont even know what that thing in your av is so i think u've out-nerded me

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

emoji posted:

The 16gb iPad makes sense because it's used for browsing the Internet, not taking pictures like you would with a phone.

although you have to remember to tell photos.app to not automatically download all the photos you take on your phone

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

gargle chome posted:

this thread is literally a honey pot for the biggest faggots

now that your here

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Perplx posted:

the apple tv is finally for sale, i just ordered mine

same

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011