Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Thankfully I won't be affected by this as I exclusively buy VIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cores are the new ghz.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Don Lapre posted:

Buying an amd based laptop pretty much guarantees chip set failure

I've had good luck with my $320 Asus A8. It runs ice cool. I was blown away by the performance at that price point 3 years ago.

I can't tell a difference between it and my i5 desktop other than when I'm spergishly analyzing word usage in Project Gutenberg.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Are instruction sets covered by copyright, patents, or both?

Edit: I'm just wondering at what point in time does the x86 licensing agreement become irrelevant because its all in the public domain?

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Further thinking along this line led me to find that windows 10 requires a 1ghz cpu with PAE, NX, and SSE2.

Edit: SSE2 was implemented in 2001. PAE goes back to 1995. NX was an AMD addition. In a few more years it might be conceivable to make an x86 CPU that can run windows 10 while giving Intel the middle finger. Or maybe make an amd64 cpu with only licenses from AMD?

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 19, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah i've run windows 10 32 bit on this thinkpad x41, which has a 1.5 ghz pentium m, 1.5 gigabytes of ram, and intel 915gm integrated graphics

Some one much smarter is going to come along and tell me why I'm wrong. Could MS be holding the system specs down for reasons other than getting people off XP? Having an OS that runs on a chip that any of the major chip manufacturers can produce would be pretty huge for MS.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's not that I'm surprised. Its that the required extensions are so limited. From what I've read instruction sets are covered by patents over the implementation details. Most of the patents I can find for the P4 were filed in 1999. In 4 years it should be possible for any chip designer to design an x86 clone that meets the minimum requirements for windows 10. That would be a really, really big deal for Microsoft, wouldn't it?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the patents are on microarchitectural improvements, not anything about the isa itself

you could make a 100% compliant x86 clone with every bell and whistle right now, today, patent-free. intel doesn't have a patent on sse3 instructions

it would just be dogshit slow, because intel and amd and ibm and so on have patents on all of the known methods of making your chip perform worth a drat. if you think you can out-research intel and company, good luck

cyrix and amd thought they could, they were wrong

If AMD can design an x86 CPU that is good enough, runs windows, and doesn't depend on the licensing agreement - suddenly they are in a position to be much more like ARM and a whole lot less like a dying chip manufacturer locked into a market controlled by a monopoly.

Edit: have you ever used an arm chromebook? They are good enough for the mass market...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even with the benefit of shitloads of cross-licensed patents, amd can't make a chip that's good enough.

dead on arrival

It depends on what is good enough. People weren't unhappy with windows RT because it ran slow - they were unhappy because when they bought it they didn't understand it wouldn't run x86 applications. The branding confused the heck out of people. It might be a moot point now that bay trail is actually good enough to be branded Celeron. I still say MS would be pretty happy if they could get an x86 win 10 compatible SoC with arm levels of performance for roughly the same price as an arm soc. From what I've seen, bay trail is relativley expensive compared to arm.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol no they aren't.

they're good enough for nerds and random family members of nerds who are forced into it.

Probably in comparison to the c7 line, which intel still sells real celerons to acer well below normal cost. Which is just intel being intel.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Larry Parrish posted:

forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't the main reason there's no major competitors to intel have more to do with the fact opening a brand new semiconductor fabricator plant in 2015 going to cost a ridiculously massive amount of money

and the asian fabricators aren't about to sell out when they manufacture so much of the world's semiconductors already

when the housing market crash happened, intel took advantage of the cheap property to build/buy something like 10 more in the states. i don't think amd or via did. lol.

You can buy production runs on those Asian fabs, and most of them participate in R&D sharing programs. I thought zen was going to be produced on samsung's 14nm process, but sometimes I just make poo poo up.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jony ive aces posted:

what about MMX :ohdear:

Bad news about mmx yosbro :(.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How bad was rosetta anyways?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just added an athlon 2200+ e-machines to my hoard. Looking at driver support, I will finally be able to ditch this bloatware called windows XP and get back to the reasonable system requirements of 98 SE.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Look at this poo poo.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

so did like some airplane instrumentation require solaris or something? because i'm having trouble thinking of anything else that that would be reasonable for

I imagine some poor data analyst lugging the thing behind a type A CFO that wants to run potential acquisitions' data through their own reporting software that runs on solaris.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

what processor is on that emachines?

That's an ivy i5 in a three year old computer. The e-machines doesn't quite work yet, but its only upgradeable to 512mb of ram. xp sp3 would run like crap on that.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

14nm atom, some parts of it made by kwinkles

Also celeron Ns probably.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

atom is a shameful pos

They shouldn't call bay trail and later atom. It's not fair to the engineers that turned that steaming pile of poo poo into something good.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

atoms sold as pentiums: yes
Arms or amds or powerpcs or sparcs or mips or z80s or 6502s sold as pentiums: no
i rest my case

I've got your back bro. Pram won;t know how good atom is now until apple ships a product with one.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

its ok, save yourself, i will die on this hill. mt bonnell microarchitecture hill.

Seriously though, my friend bought one of those x205tas when they were on sale for $150. It ran Civ V, Assasins Creed, and fallout NV no problems. I mean not the latest and greatest but compared to atoms of yesteryear it blew me away.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sniep posted:

lol

i think you missed out on the part where apple's answer to the atom based devices was the Macbook Air which outright defined the playing field and rules for the Ultrabook class of computers, thus demolishing the atom netbook market in one single product announcement swoop.

Good thing the atom cores make up the bulk of celeron and pentium shipments now. It'd be a terrible, terrible blow to intel if the micro architecture just depended on the sales of lovely 9" netbooks no one really wanted in the first place.

Doesn't AMD have some kind of atom competitor and sony and MS said good enough for gamers. Then AMD sold them the part at a price that doesn't result in much profit?

Edit:
Gartner said 83% of pentium and celeron shipments in q4 2014. What a loving failure and disgrace

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 23, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jaguar or something...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought atoms were literally p3s

no, ure thinking core architecture. P3ms because the p4 was such poo poo.

I remember my frich kid friends frantically upgrading to p4s. Then when all the benchmarks came out they were worse off than with a p3. Was a lot of lol.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah but modern atom basically just works like a slightly shittier i3 core, instead of old atom which was basically "a pentium ii but in 2008" or w/e

u got sources? I can't find a good conceptual diagram of the core arch.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

just laugh out loud if you didnt bust out savage frags on an AMD until the c2d. freakin pathetic

Lol, cpu snobbery.

(I started with a k6-2 and was a fanboi up until bulldozer or worksite disaster or w/e that arch was)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
well 10% slower, but how much cheaper?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Bonfire Lit posted:

depends, how much do you pay on your heating bill each year?

An amount that made you wish you lived next to a huge coal deposit too.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
No, you see don't bring facts and rationality into this guys. This is about purchasing a CPU, which is something you do with your heart.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

zen death robot posted:

I just used a credit card.

works too.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

horse mans posted:

do you know what words mean

No. I just throw word around without knowing how to pronounce word or what word mean in the hope word make me sound smart.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Kafouille posted:

I was like 15 at the time, that CPU was like 2/3 of my net worth. AMD owned me on a few levels at that time.

Didn't AMD have a warranty or some poo poo? Do you remember how much that cost? When Shadows of Luclin came out, I thought I remembered upgrading to one of those bad boys. At the same time I don't remember spending more than $500 on a PC till 2012. I felt bad about generating so much e-waste and tried to build something that would last 5 or six years.

I also bought an amd64bit laptop that got an amazing 4 hours on battery. It ran Cool'n quiet for sure.

Edit: Socket A like 900ghz tbird I think - much cheaper part.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 24, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

freakin tbird FTW. god drat.. the tbird owned. HOT and POWERFUL. ftw. the tbird defined PC supremacy in this guys book.

You know it also supposedly can run gnome 3.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Figures. I go to buy a gfx card for my 2200xp. Yesterday all I could find was a 9600se for $15 shipped. Today someone puts up a 6600 GT 256mb for $15 shipped. FML.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yah, blow some canned air through the fins. It only takes a few blows and then you can huff the res.t

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thats gotta be the lamest intervention ever. Its like some college students got together and were like "lets punk interbvention sisses". Also, what 12 step group would you go to for this? Hi, I'm allyson and I'm a huffaholic.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Like, do you think she ever sucked dick for a huff?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
To make something like the construction equipment architecture line you would have to be huffing something.

Got my 2400+ all pimped out now. I'd forgotten why I started using linux. 9x was a pile of dogshit in comparison. I get an unexplainable crash or freeze every 5-6 hours. I'd forgotten the little waving flashlight animation in explorer.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

remember that amd where you drew on it with a mechanical pencil to connect two traces and unlock the fsb multiplier? that was cool i did that.

Oh man, that would have made you the leetest at 2000 era lan parties "Hold on, I need to re-pencil my athlon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

reminder: this was the fastest amd chip

newer ones are actually less powerful

At least AMD managed to bring the power usage down some....

• Locked thread