Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This game is a better Paper Mario than Paper Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CmdrKing posted:

It should be noted the game has some odd mechanical quirks that mean the combat bogs down substantially in the last ~80% or so of the game (short version: you hit the level cap and certain enemies scale with you so every fight becomes needlessly long). Up until that point it's quite good however, and the endgame plot remains strong.

I never had that become a problem. Once you figure out how the various status ailments work and how they stack with each other, it's pretty easy to break the game's combat system.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CmdrKing posted:

Oh, you're not in much danger at all of losing. Just fights take too long; most of the statuses are poison-types that drain HP over time and all. Unless one of the ones I didn't get much access to (I ran a Warrior) had more direct damage.

If you're thinking of the same fights I'm thinking off, you can shorten them with the right combination of buddy, armour, and weapon--as well as breaking the combat system over its head. I ran a Warrior and kept butting my head against the wall until I figured out how everything worked.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The combat system is at least pretty fun, so I don't mind that it can be broken once you learn it. The game is more about exploring South Park which it excels at. It has tonnes of detail, and it's great. I love that items are just burritos and bottles of water.

Also, yeah, a bunch of sidequests and collectibles are skippable, so this game is especially great if you're not a completionist.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DoubleNegative posted:

:stare: What happened to City Sushi?

The owner committed suicide by jumping out of that tower and onto his building--which destroyed it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Al Gore is one of the better sidequests in this game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's great. it's the best overdosing and you get an achievement for doing it multiple times.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I swear Cartman had more dialogue if you continue to try and loot him--or am i misremembering?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Broken Loose posted:

If you beat the poo poo out of him while he's laying there he has more dialogue.

right! that's what i was thinking of

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pixeltendo posted:

I beat this game last year and it was great, i'm especially looking foward to your reaction to later things in the game :getin:

The next update should be interesting--

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I liked the jab at audiologs in video games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I feel we've been with Cartman long enough to recognize he's a huge tool. Plus, it'll be more hilarious betraying that arrogant butthole.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's worth the loss. Stan and Jimmy make up for it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Cartman's impotent rage is the funniest part of South Park so you should do whatever is most likely to cause it. Join the elves.

This, this, this! Also, Princess Kenny is a terrible companion compared to Stan and Jimmy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, let's ditch Cartman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3n3YNR2Wk

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mauman posted:

I've seen 3 on youtube. All elves, it's getting kinda annoying. I don't even see the appeal. It's been established in the series that Cartman and Kyle are not so different most of the time, and Butters doesn't deserve this crap (then again, he never does).

Besides, Cartman amuses me. So what if he's evil incarnate, at least he's honest about it for the most part.

And anybody who can blast Saddam Hussein with the power of lightning and stop the apocalypse has to be good in my book, no matter what.

:downs:

quick search on youtube found this

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kyle wear the Chewbacca mask in one of the Halloween episodes (as usual, the closest of each character contains a bunch of references to episodes). A bunch of people wear Chewbacca masks on South Park Halloween episodes. Wendy wears one, at one point.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Roro posted:

God loving dammit. Another sidequest I missed? No wonder I didn't get the popular achievement.
Speaking of achievements... Are you aiming for any in particular, or will you be avoiding any that involve you doing things that aren't standard gameplay?

Heh, I've never seen the Nazi Zombie Ring sidequest. That's probably what stopped me from getting the popular achievement. Looks like it's a pretty standard "kill x" mission, so I'm not bummed I missed it.

Sally fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 23, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

curiousCat posted:

Pretty sure the blood cultures are just a reference to the episode where Cartman tried the The Thing test to see who had head lice.

yup:

And the link to "that scene" from The Thing because it's awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Considering this is South Park, I have no idea what scene you're talking about. I feel like "that scene" could be almost any scene in the game. I also feel, who cares, it's a South Park thread, so do whatever and just post everything inline.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VagueRant posted:

Finally caught up with the LP and now the game is only £6 on Steam. Torn between buying it and experiencing the rest of the game for myself, or buying that Undertale game people are so fond of. Argh.

(How far is the LP through the game, by the way?)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kemix posted:

Oh just wait till day 3 happens. Oh dear god Day 3 has a thing that puts BOTH of these night-time sequences to shame.

People keep saying this, and maybe I've been watching South Park for too long, but nothing really phased me in this game. I usually just this feeling of joy at how accurately they nailed the feeling of the show. It's just so much fun to play through! I was literally laughing out loud at several parts, and it's not often that a game can elicit such a response from me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

death .cab for qt posted:

Uh

What the gently caress

We aren't in a butthole right now are we

Please tell me we aren't currently doing Lemmiwinks 2: Honey I Schlooped The Kids :gonk:

What?! Of course not! What kind of game do you think this is????

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
drat, didn't know you could get loot from City Sushi or start a boss fight with the bank teller. I saw the option to invest money, though "gently caress that", and never returned.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Omobono posted:

Having (dear god luckily) dodged most of South Park, I find this game fascinating, like a trainwreck and a shipwreck together in slow motion.

HEY!

We don't take kindly to your types in here!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GyverMac posted:

Hah, if I know my South Park right, I bet theres a fetus bossfight, or nazi zombie fetuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUvRDHHvkRc

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Possibly after shrinking down and, uh, entering someone.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Waffleman_ posted:

Is....is this where we go full Lemmiwinks?

Blind Sally posted:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DG97dAVZns

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gyra_Solune posted:

oh

pfffffff

that was all?

you guys had me super worried come on, khloe kardashian's giant aborted nazi zombie fetus was like, 'yep pretty much south park'

Yeah. I keep getting confused when people give warnings about what's to come. It's all just pretty much South Park.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ehhhhh, if they've got the kind of experience to be the sort of person who would go to the Something Awful Let's Play subforum in the first place, I'm willing to bet they're savvy enough about pop culture to know about South Park's reputation, regardless of whether or not they watch it. To quote the OP:

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm sure I don't need to introduce South Park. If you've watched Comedy Central any amount of time in the past 18 years, you've at least heard of it in passing.

EDIT: also, we're long past the anal-probing segment and parents loving segment. At this point, :nws: warnings seem redundant. No one should be reading a South Park LP at work.

Sally fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 10, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Air is lava! posted:

Why do old school RPGs always come up with the stupidest names for towns?
Banff? No one woul believe that anyone called anything that way.

Banff isn't even a Canadian place name. It's named after Banff, Scotland.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A good poster posted:

They should have put that island in Vancouver on the west side, to coincide with the actual Vancouver Island.

Maybe Terrence and Phillip live in Richmond?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

That's also what the word means in English.

Yeah, Xander77's right, it's considered an English interjection: http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=voila&searchmode=none

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

Other way around. If you invade 95% of existing nations, picking up a few words in each is enough to turn your language into a mishmash.

Crosspeice posted:

If you get invaded every other century, you end up nicking a load of the occupier's language, so English is a terrifying stitch together of all sorts of crap.

Both are true.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. :southparkthread:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DoubleNegative posted:

After beating the cyclops. Cyclopes? What's the plural of cyclops? Well, whatever.

Cyclopes (and cyclops) is correct.

Yeah, this dungeon is fun. The massive armour stacks at this point aren't a problem if you've figured out the combat system. If you haven't learned it yet, I could see how someone might struggle. But seriously, it's so easy to melt through armour at this point.

EDIT: to be more correct

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 27, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MartianAgitator posted:

Dude, it's an English word. If you aren't pronouncing it "kik-lope" then there's no reason to pluralize it weirdly.

Greek words in English don't follow rules. The "eu" in Zeus is pronounced "oo", in Europa it's "yu", and in Perseus and Theseus it's two separate syllables. Lord knows we say "aegis" in a dozen different ways.

YOU ARE WRONG ON THE INTERNET, SIR.

lol, nice one. you are wrong on the internet in trying to call out someone for being wrong on the internet:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cyclops

http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=cyclopes&searchmode=none

you're right. it's an english word. so "cyclopes" is correct. so is "cyclops". but to be honest, people would understand if you said "cyclopses" as well, so it doesn't really matter. english often breaks rules and many things get pluralized weirdly. octopuses and octopi, for example. it's a drat flexible language.

EDIT: i realize, i should've probably said they were both correct in my previous post. i'm still not wrong though.

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 27, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrangeAeon posted:

South Park SoT is 75% off on Steam right now. I'd advice this to be a good time to pick it up, for anyone still on the fence.

I just started my first playthrough, and named the new kid Boss, because this could easily be an origin story for Saint's Row.

Already own it, but this is a rad deal. For those people on the fence, it's worth the experience.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

LifeofaGuardian posted:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/octopus
Octopi is also incorrect, funnily enough, because it comes from the greek words "okto" and "podi" (literally "eightfoot"), and thus either the english plural "octopuses" or the greek plural "octopodes" are correct, though "octopodes" is mostly used to be fancy, while "octopi" is incorrect because it follows the latin rules of pluralization. :eng101:

Actually, "octopi" is totally correct in English. Ignoring Latin/Greek rules of pluralization for a moment, because let's be frank here, grammar is ultimately just about how people speak, "octopi" is a widely used and accepted pluralization of "octopus" (it's been around for at least a couple of centuries). It's what we call an "accepted variant" :eng101:. To quote this article:

http://grammarist.com/usage/octopi-octopuses/ posted:

Still, while the use of octopi can’t be justified on an etymological basis, it is not wrong. It is old enough and common enough to be considered an accepted variant.

In fact, "octopodes" is more liable to confuse an English speaker than "octopuses" or "octopi" are, but "octopodes" is still ALSO correct. Again, English is an incredibly flexible language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Apparently, the word "literally" can now mean both "literally" and "figuratively". English is such a flexible language.

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread