Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Roro posted:

Using the Hola extension lets non-US users watch videos on the US site, but it's an annoying extension sometimes.
IIRC, Hola steals your bandwith. Can't recall a good free alternative VPN offhand though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I barely batted an eye at the nazi zombie fetuses, but calling a fart Nagasaki sort of rubs me the wrong way.
At least it's far better than the trailer version.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I'd like to comment real quick that "Voila" is a French saying that people use when handing over something - it would probably best be translated as "Here you are" or "here you go".
That's also what the word means in English.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

If you get invaded every other century, you end up nicking a load of the occupier's language, so English is a terrifying stitch together of all sorts of crap.
Other way around. If you invade 95% of existing nations, picking up a few words in each is enough to turn your language into a mishmash.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Today I've learned that Galit Sassoon uses the term "felicitous" in a way that doesn't make sense to other linguists, so my time browsing LP was not spent in vain.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

My favorite moderately relevant anecdote is about the Academy of Hebrew Language. It's somewhat based on the Académie française, except instead of maintaining obsolete rules of grammar, it concerns itself with inventing stupidly useless (both meanings of the word) Hebrew alternatives to perfectly good and established loanwords. Or trying in vain to replace the rare established Hebrew alternative with a more useless yet etymologically correct one.

Plot twist: "Academy" is not a Hebrew word. Replacing it with the nearest Hebrew equivalent would "omit the breadth and historical connotations of the term". Apparently no one figured out yet that the same is true for most loanwords.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Apparently, the word "literally" can now mean both "literally" and "figuratively". English is such a broken language.
For a while, when "literal blog" was a fairly major success among certain circles, people were campaigning against using "virtually" to mean "literally".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Good LP. Glad I read through this instead of buying the game.

• Locked thread