Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

in holding out for the cognac of switches

ie when they have a tactile one

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

i like this layout

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
getting some keycaps since massdrop seems to have some ALPS ones

my keyboard is old as gently caress though, so gonna be a lipstick on a pig kinda setup in the end i'm guessing

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ludwig van Halen posted:

ya i just dont get it

i paid 60 bucks for my mechanical board that came with perfectly acceptable keycaps, but that set of caps costs more than my entire keyboard for what amounts to basically little bits of lego

i guess thats not a good argument because legos are also ridiculously expensive because nerds gobble that poo poo up

getting alps version of that color of those lego keys for ~25 bucks coming, material probably isn't as nice but should be fine so whatevs

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PuTTY riot posted:

so thats scrub tier i guess? oh well. its loud and heavy

dsyp

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bobbilljim posted:

Might treat myself to a nice keyboard since i am about to turn 26 years old what is a good recommendation for someone living in teh world's rear end in a top hat (NZ) ?

I would like a mech keyboard for good feeling but i type extremely loudly on regular kwewyboards so im thinking something not too loud would be great if possible.

also, must have number pad thing

e: this maybe? http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=794/ID=26209/SID=657084629/productdetails.html

avoid blue LEDs if possible

you're not supposed to have that out in public though

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

duTrieux. posted:

harsh on the eyes

echinopsis posted:

ugly as sin

buncha manufacturers just shove them in there because blues are considered to be a "premium" color for some reason (think the LEDs cost slightly more than for other colors)

problem is that they are the loving worst for night vision which is just loving great considering why you'd have lit keys in teh first place

also, they tend to be excessively bright which is ok if you're trying to 2extreme rice out your board or something

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

yard salad posted:

i had the best blacklight cathode ray tubes back in my lanning days... should tell you all need to know

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
rad but i dont like the tenkey placement - you gotta float your hand over it to use it without bashing other keys

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

surebet posted:

loving score, found someone selling a model m for :10bux::10bux: down the street from me

what's better is that i have actual ps2 ports on my laptop docks

my coworkers are going to have to learn to love the clicky clacky

any suggestions for a mouse to pair it up with?

e: 3 button mouse preferred

e2: current user of mx performance and mx air, prefer larger mice

Logitech mouseman

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

surebet posted:

played with my new board over the weekend, it's sitting on my desk at work and i can't wait to see the confused looks on peoples faces

'95 lexmark built, it's incredibly satisfying to type on and i can def see myself using it as a blunt instrument

that enter button though

so here's my frankensteined ALPS switch oldass keyboard after putting on the cheap dolch doubleshot keys i got from massdrop

it's okay, but the ctrl/alt/space keys they provided are too small for this keyboard, and the backslash/backspace/enter keys couldn't be switched out due to keyboard layout differences. the f-keys are shorter than the originals which were like double-high, but it works out ok. still, seems nice enough and the keys are a bit lighter, which i like.

also i finally have a page up key again

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Symbolic Butt posted:

this looks pretty good but that |\ key is freaking me out

yeah; I like the ginormo enter key, but moving backslash up there really sucks, also means you don't get a bigger backspace key

still, it was a free kb and it feels decent so whatever
still want a buckling spring one sometime though

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

alps keyswitches are really good but your keyboard is the wrong shape, friend

correct

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

it has a key dedicated to rubbin one out

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

je1 healthcare posted:

My coworker got a mechanical keyboard and hearing the constant loud clacking all day makes me want to murder. Who's problem is this? How do I ask him to type quieter without sounding like an autist? NOTE: I have headphones that I wear all the time but they only slightly muffle the background noise because I don't listen to music

gotta fight fire with fire

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

minivanmegafun posted:

there's finally a drop for ALPS double-shot keycaps https://www.massdrop.com/buy/alps-keycaps

of course it's a standard ANSI layout so i get windows keys instead of ⌘ keys like stebe intended and not enough F keys to cover my Matias Quiet Pro

but eh it's :20bux: i'll give it a shot, if it looks like hell i'll keep the Matias laser-etched keycaps

i got some of those and put them on some oldass keyboard i have, they're ok enough

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Roosevelt posted:

5 of the keys on the unicomp ultra pro classic fuckboard i got off massdrop less than a year ago don't work any more. this is bullshit

should be under warranty fyi, though shipping might suck

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jenny Agutter posted:

i got my das keyboard 4 yesterday and it has a really really good volume knob. one of the best knobs ive felt. if you like volume knobs on your keyboard this is the one to get

I got a powermate knob but it doesn't work for volume control when steam or a game is in focus :(

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah I'm not having this problem so idk what settings you have different

unless you have the bluetooth knob, mine is the usb version

nah, on usb and win8

hrmmm gonna have to fight my computer and see if i can get it working

e: found it; steam was set to use some compatibility mode or something and i killed that and it works and all is good in the world

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 12, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

triple sulk posted:

drat thats a good deal

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

surebet posted:

i'm looking for a new mouse again, i threw my last one at something someone

ideally wired, something 3 buttons would be nice

what's on your desk?

try one of these:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

p sweet but might as well just do a halfboard at this point

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

surebet posted:

had to look that one up

i'd give it a try but looooooooooool 600$

hahahahahahahahaha 600 wtf

I remember trying to program it into a nostromo but it didn't have enough keys to really work right, and half typing fucks with your brain a bit when you shift all the time. I think it could be loving fantastic if you combined it with an autocorrect function so you could skip shifting maybe

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
also I'm the shift shift shift key

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PleasureKevin posted:

i wonder in what new ways engineers will be able to reduce the travel in keyboards

so we can finally have the ultimate mechanical keyboard!

a negative travel keyboard

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PleasureKevin posted:

actually, yes. fixed keys that have kinetic feedback that travel back to the individual key once it's pressed. similar to how macbook trackpads fake a "click", but for each key.

I'm thinking more like having strings tied to each key and you have to puppet master your typing

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Instant Grat posted:

i own this

blue cherry switches, but they're kinda worn. got it used and boy oh boy is it old. it owns tho

wow that's a terrible place for a touchpad

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Professor Tomtom posted:

Check out my terrible life choices

pro choice for a non-mechanical keyboard tho, i'm guessing your wrist problems are a bit better now with that setup yeah?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

i can dig it

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Marzzle posted:

is it because of the split board being too confusing?
i'd guess it's more because of the trackball; i have a trackball explorer and it mystifies people when they try to use it (tbf it's weirder than Prof. Tomtom's)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

that keyboard looks gross

I like the handle though

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

error1 posted:

The romer-G keys have really nice backlighting, sure, but they are mushy and awful and the keycap shapes are weird. I'd much rather have a cherry mx with a bit wonky backlighting that doesn't make your fingers hurt

seems pretty decent, but i don't think you can change the caps out; they seem proprietary (of course)

e: i really like the onboard volume control roller thing

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
the names for the ergodox and ergodex are way too loving close

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

online friend posted:

also please do not pay $500 for a keyboard unless it will suck your dick as you type

will the sucking be tied to your wpm?

where is that gang tag coming from? it is v good

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Skim Milk posted:

hey computer touchers,

in preparation of typing nirvana what pro typing strats should i look into

for example: this software lets me map left/right shifts to ( and ) when used alone, which is dope

you'll probably want to make that program-specific though; for example, if you shift-click to select text, it might poo poo out a parentheses to replace that text when you let go

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Skim Milk posted:

:pusheen:

mechanical keyboards: im qwertin here

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

minivanmegafun posted:

MX brown? you could say they

don't really click

:smugdog:

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

i don't really care about macros. i just want a keyboard that's nicer to type on than this lovely dell special.

oh gross, i think i know exactly which one you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo posted:

someone send me a cool keyboard or smth

• Locked thread