Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO if a subforum is accumulating a shitload of offtopic threads, then that seems more like an issue with the on-topic forums not being approachable enough

sometimes thats unavoidable (nobody wants to tolerate GiP), but a lot of the time it could be taken care of by accomodating outside posters and reminding them that X forum exists

tldr tell shine to allow a relaxed swole chat thread in YLLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
my YLLS story: one time i went to some of the fashion threads to plan a wardrobe redo after getting fit, most of the links in the op were dead so i went to the end of the thread, i couldnf figure out if the forum superstars were intentionally dressing like clowns so i just went out and got fitted flat color shirts and close fit dark jeans instead of solving the YLLS puzzlebox

thx for reading this pointless dumb paragraph

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir_Charles posted:

did not disappoint

lookin' good

the super specialized clothing threads (sneakers, boots, watches, etc.) are prolly fine, but i dont think its a real mystery why people dont want to post in YLLS when stuff out of fashion SWAT is 80% of these fashion/advice threads

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Renegret posted:

ylls told me to read a book but idk how reading a book makes me less fat

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

this is a good + simple starter routine made by a cool goon who doesnt post much in ylls anymore (le shock), it helped me drop 64 pounds (alongside myfitnesspal and dropping calorie drinks that arent protein shakes) over 2-3 months. when you no longer feel sore as poo poo doing this routine look for a more complicated routine

the tldr of it is lots of deadlifts and rows on back/shoulders day, lots of squats presses and pullups on arms/legs day

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Saurus posted:

Plus it's hard work and no one be peepin your legs at the club/beach so long as they're not ridiculously tiny compared to your upper body

squats build nice asses, and everyone loves a great rear end, trust me im bi br0

rear end is the universal sign of a Sexy Beast

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

U need weight on the lunges big fat doofus

they prolly arent as reliably good as leg days but if you're commited to your caveman leg workouts get in some farmer walks (walking uphill while lifting heavy poo poo), will prolly help with your nerd-like gasping and wheezing too

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

anchoress posted:

lmao matt kroc is a woman now. jesus christ what is going on in this world

weightlifting is actually really common among trans ladies who accept that they trans late in life. my guess is that they feel like poo poo and depressed as men, so they assume its their fault and try to be more and more manly

this will prob happen less and less as the next social topic pivots from gays to trans peeps, sorta how like most closeted homos now are republican twinks instead of old magicians

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Borden posted:

Are protein supplements worth taking?

protein powder is good and tasty and its not like you can OD on protein or something (unless you're eating literally pounds of rabbit meat i guess). I got a giant bag of vanila from Truenutrition which is pretty goon-recommended last i checked, you can get all sort of silly nutrient blends and flavor mixes and specific types of protein but all you really need is whey

most store protein powders that brag about retarded supernutrient crap are garbage and overpriced

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
is planetfitness the place with the lunk ads

scummy as those may be, you cant deny it's a genius way to attract uncommited flabs, encourage them to keep being fat, and profit off that sweet subscription money

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Saurus posted:

:laffo: it looks like he's in an incredible amount of pain and tired as gently caress but is gaining absolutely nothing as far as his health is concerned and is just loving up his bones and muscles all over the place

i am not a trained gymperson and i can see that just from observation

e: just noticed the guy in the background picking up and throwing a weight to the floor repeatedly. amazing.

crossfit is the best thing to happen to gym humor ever

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
[quote="Wangsbig"
e: it is satire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8KwUNLdkI
[/quote]

this isnt tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T74Xek-pDLM

Count the number of times someone hip throws weight they obvious cant arm lift onto their necks and prolly kill themselves

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 30, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Lack of secret deadlift knowledge?

This. they do it because it makes them feel pumped even tho it makes the exercise both easier (momentum from the bounce doing half the liftwork) and more dangerous (you arent sure if you can genuinely lift it, more force on your hips when that momentum makes the weight fly down)

the legit way is by allowing the weight to rest on the ground, forcing you to make the full range of motion per rep

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm squatting in socks

#slippinslydinlyfe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

only lift as much as your arms can handle, check

PACK IT IN OLYMPICS!

if you're bringing that poo poo up to your neck with momentum and you dont have olympic tier medics on standby and you're bending your body into a C shape to try to squirm your neck underneath the bar then yea

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Aralan posted:

A deadlift? I don't know, that's the way I did/will do them even if the last few posts make it seem as though that's incorrect

naw son, this aint ylls, doing this is fine, whatever gets you pumped safely is good

the only incorrect lift is the one that breaks poo poo and doesnt pump you

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CuteJen96 posted:

man the internet really loving loves starting strength like i just want to pick up heavy stuff and put it back down again but holy poo poo everytime you mention weights outside of this here thread it's GODDAMN STARTING STERNFGTH MAN WHERE ARE YOU AT HAVE YOU READ THE BOOK DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE YOULL PROBABLY KILL URSELF

reading is cool but ya the people who tell anyone wanting to start getting fit the cool way YO READ THIS ENTIRE BOOK BEFORE YOU EVEN LOOK AT A BARBELL are not exactly making many lunk converts

its like hey man, they're looking for advice because they want to get started now, just tell them the most vital stuff and give them a starter routine

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the Magical Michael of butts

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zzulu posted:

just like, do stuff with proper technique so you dont screw up your joints and skelton

do good form, love your skeleton, be swole lift viking in life, swole skeleton warrior of the technoliches in cyber 2190

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah, starting strength is cool.....if you want to look like a centaur

tbf cueball prolly has a nice rear end

lex luthor should prolly look into bosley and bench presses tho

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Dude has a gross body

Dont equineshame, horse-human miscegenation is beautiful

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

she'll be p cute once she gets fit

swole encouragement makes swole world

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

soy posted:

This guy is doing quick squats halfway down [to parallel] with 135lb and a pussy pad. Wtf?

i see that a lot, i can only assume that their knees are made of plate glass and cant handle a dip down to parallel

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i just wear whatever shorts and t-shirt i have immediately available, im exercising not going on a date

for headphones i got these. they're pretty nice.

btw figured i'd make sure since like anything in a W&W OP its old and goon approved fitness advice changes with the seasons: anything wrong with this routine? Need to move on up from my starter routine since i'm too acclimated to it and not seeing any more gains, and this one seemed nice.

also this has been bugging me, which goon was it in W&W with the obscenely overly bulked shoulders/biceps and nothing else? it looked like he was smuggling football pads

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

notZaar posted:

I was looking at a single serving bottle of root beer in the employee lounge and saw it had 75g of sugar. That's just shy of 19 teaspoons. In a bottle. Why is this legal?

thats literally the norm for sodas, its disgusting.

once I cut sodas (and other non-protein liquid calories) I started feeling so much better, had more overall energy, and started eating more non-sweet stuff.

I blame the fact that most big diet drinks suck rear end, vitamin water zeroes and Ice's for lyfe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Feminition posted:

fake sugars the worst how do you stand that poo poo aftertaste

Pepsi max isn't that bad, but I eventually reached a point where I started getting the weird aftertaste.

I still dont understand what voodoo magyk gets this stuff tasting so good at 0 sugar or calories:

not too good for working out tho, i usually just take these (and refill with water after finishing it):

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i usually just have "high protein" (aka 6-12 grams) cereal with 0% fat milk.

If my appetite is super low that morning i'l just have a glass of bolthouse coffee (16g protein)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i dont obsessively avoid sugar and fat outside of non-nutrition drinks, but i do try to avoid getting a ton of either

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
protein is important for muscle recovery but so is proper blood flow and flexibility, its not the worst idea to try some yoga

hey, if girls can get over swole hangups you can get over hippy stretching hangups

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
theres nothing wrong with booze and ice cream and soda so long as you can handle it in moderation, simple fact is that a lot of people are easily addicted, more than are willing to admit

i still sometimes get a fourpack of Stewarts Key Lime soda because i really like that flavor (even tho it is completely packed full of sugar and calories )

im down to 172 from 238 since i quit my sugar habits, started MFP, and got on a gym routine, no six pack yet but i'm making progress, feels good man

i'm thinking of looking into bulking/cutting once I hit 165-168

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

notZaar posted:

Liberal logic:
hosed up queer boy wants to look like a chick = "What a brave person! Respect her pronouns!!"

Dude wants to be strong and look muscular = "This sad individual is addicted to protein and has brain problems!!!"

what if im addicted to protein and looking strong, but am also addicted to queer boys

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
when protein is banned, only lunkheads will have protein

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
never tried creatine but from what i've heard it's supposed to make working out feel better/give you more endurance???

retaining water better would probably assist in both of those maybe idk no scientist

also my tits are sore from 4 days ago still, dont think i did any real damage, just need to get used to dumb fly's and bench presses

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

soy posted:

This is how I look after 8 months of ss doing squats 3x a week too

drat son, it's Starting strength not Committed Strength

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
moustaches are the domain of italians, blacks, muslims, and swarthy asians. if you dont have our superior moustache genes pls grow responsibly

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
some people just wanna be gaston

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fushin posted:

Some of us have jobs and don't rely on our parents to buy our food so $455 a year for protein doesn't hurt my wallet at all.

wouldn't that math mean its more like 227.50 for protein, 227.50 for poops

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i mean i dont mean to judge a mans hobby, but if you like weird poops you could prolly save money and buy discounted colon cleansers

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
down to 170 :confuoot:

should prolly start bulking soon, but im hesitant to light my wallet on fire just yet, theres only so much cheap chicken one can eat in a day

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ZombieParts posted:

assholes with ipads occupying my machines making me use freeweights

i cant get too mad at these dorks because when i started i spent a bunch of time fiddling on my phone to look at exrx gifs and instructions to fret over my form and get over my fear of lifting things

in my defense i sat on normal benches or did cardio diring this, not chillax all over a crowded machine/rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Trip report from swapping to this workout: bench presses are hard (or I have the worst form/worlds wimpiest chest) :(. Leg day has been pretty nice though, rear end is sore as hell which is prolly a good sign.

• Locked thread