Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Ran a PR 5k last week *and* beat the :siren:GF:siren:'s time by a few minutes. She's a 10k/10m/half runner and was talking smack for a month leading in.

Victory never tasted so sweet.

e: Torchlight Mpls fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer

Feminition posted:

congrats on beating a woman

It really is as cathartic as the old men say.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

are there any compound back exercises around that i can do without needing a cable machine?

Barbell rows of all shapes and kinds. Also all kinds of pullups.

Cottage cheese + fresh strawberries I love summer

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 29, 2015

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is it normal to scrape your damned shins when doing deadlifts?

Very.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Moved into the new place a couple of weeks ago. Managed everything solo except for the couch, which I moved into the garage to await more help. My :siren:girlfriend:siren:'s brother was coming through town and she offered that he could help move it in.

He's a former college athlete who's been stuck behind a desk for ten years. He's the walking definition of skinny-fat but she maintained that he was still 'athletic'.

So he gets here and we carry the couch to the front yard in prep for bringing through the front door, set it down, and game plan how to get through. We grab the couch and when he goes to lift it something in his back pops and he goes down like a bag of wet cement. Took him several minutes to get up and continued to wave off any help. Eventually he hobbled over to his car to head out but he was *hurting*.

I put the couch back into the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Borden posted:

Are protein supplements worth taking?

Only if you're not getting enough protein for the day.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

By the way I bought liquid chalk a few months back and have been trying it out a lot and it works loving great.

(...)

So if you go to a regular commercial gym where chalk powder can make a big unwanted mess I'd definitely recommend liquid chalk. The brand I used was called "GRRRIP Plus". It was fairly cheap and worked well enough for me

Along those lines, I bought an eco ball and it's also v good for places where chalk is not allowed.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

roymorrison posted:

Its monday goons should post videos of some lifts on mondays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSanRw7Ft68

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

El Duderino posted:

I have a feeling people at my gym think I'm a poor as I always wear the same black under armour shorts and 5 different tank tops every week... I just do a load of laundry once per week so I'm not smelly or whatevs.

Are you honestly keeping track of what *they're* wearing? I'm a gym rat and while I see some of the same dudes all the time, I have no idea what they're usually wearing. I honestly don't think a single person on Earth has noticed your five tank rotation.

u poor

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

You get those for free when you put in a big order and use a coupon code or whatever.

Dude, this seems like a clear opener for you to talk to him.

"Hey, since I always see you wearing the same shirt - WHICH IM TOTALLY NOT KEEPING TRACK OF - I figure 'This is the kind of man who orders a lot of things from bodybuilding dot com!' Am I right or am I right? Hey, I'm (yourname), nice to meetcha." Lean against a machine and smile a lot.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lodewijk posted:

gently caress guys wearing sweatpants in the gym, how you can work out in that?!

Mostly hiding their chicken legs

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_VkpoqKqis

How dare you doubt the words of 3X IRONMAN World Champion Craig "Crowie" Alexander?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Feminition posted:

fake sugars the worst how do you stand that poo poo aftertaste

Beats real sugar and that after-fat.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Claeaus posted:

My colleague started going to the gym with me. After the first time he said "It's nice to work out with someone who's not that much stronger than yourself".

Screw you guy! Now he's on vacation for three weeks so time to hit the gym as hard as possible while he's away!

Look out, he's negging you

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

also people who say regular sugar soda is better for you than diet are loving stupid as poo poo hth

I genuinely don't get along with these people.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BoonyPC posted:

Crossfit is like a franchise or something right? Need to pay a commission so people can flay wildly about and poo poo?

Why not create a knock off franchise? How many burger chains are there? Gotta be room for another.

Feminition posted:

i would literally murder a man for a women's only lifting gym but like none exist

why are women such pussies

The local "Xperience Fitness" near me has a women's only weight room.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fushin posted:

Still drinking a dozen eggs after my workouts.

I too hate money

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ramsus posted:

a dozen eggs is like $2.50

that's a pretty cheap mean sir

Oh right, I forgot that you only workout once a month.

Seriously though, let's just say you lift every other day. That's seven times in two weeks: 7 x $2.50 = $17.50 every two weeks or $455/year -just- on eggs for slurping.

Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques says that you only get about 51% of the available protein in raw egg form (91% in cooked). Congrats on pooping out $227.50 worth of eggs a year, undigested.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lunixnerd posted:

I have wicked lower back pain in the morning, what exercises can I do to alleviate it.

3x8 of "How lovely is your mattress?"

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

300# clean triple oh my god im so happy

https://instagram.com/p/63qbN2JQeD/

Strong poo poo, good work.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Saw a big and strong dude oly lifting in a commercial gym with bumper plates. Everything as legit as could be, guy was a beast. Then he set up the rack to jerk (the pressing motion, right?) and attempted 350. He allllmost made it but missed it to the side, 350 comes crashing down on one safety/floor. Nobody hurt just not something you see every day.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

El Duderino posted:

I was one of only 4 losers who didn't have anything better to do on Labor Day so I wen't to the gym like I always do on Monday. How was yalls Labor Day?

Visited some relatives over the weekend. On Saturday night/Sunday morning it rained so much that we awoke to very wet carpeting in one of the basement bedrooms. Spent the morning ripping out soaking wet carpeting/padding and pulling trim off to try and salvage it. It was a free workout on a planned rest day.

Brought :siren:my girlfriend:siren: with me to the gym on Labor Day. Nearly empty, good times.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

ive never really read into programs beyond "do this on these days" so what happens if I fail mid set? should I give it a rest and try to finish the set at the same weight? kick it down a few?

I always knock it down a few pounds/kgs. Yadda yadda check your ego at the door yadda yadda.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Biked 15 miles and repped sets of 385 deads later on.

Also ate some Chipotle, it was a good day.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

Dang, 15 miles you say? How are you still alive man. 15 miles. Dang. Wow.

At no time should one enjoy their exercise.

Seriously though, it was the St. Paul Classic and I did it with a group of all ages and skill levels. It was a blast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sonofsilversign posted:

so i noticed yesterday that my biceps are pretty uneven anyone have an elegant solution to this?
i do curls to failure and superset everytime i lift so i cant really just add more reps/sets to my left arm, maybe lifting heavier with my left?

Do your bicep curls with dumbbells
Start with your weaker arm.
Match output (X reps at Y weight) with stronger arm
Weaker one will gain, larger one will atrophy, and they'll meet in the middle.
You can stop focusing on something no one will ever ever notice

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

I got rear ended on my bike yesterday so I'm not going to be pressing anything any time soon. Farewell, muscles.

Cardio kills gains, you were warned.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm so loving swole that when I finally collapse onto the gym floor the defibrillator paddles are only going to penetrate far enough to make my pecs bounce one final time.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

unlimited shrimp posted:

i just popped a tire backing out of my driveway to go to the gym

should i skip the gym today altogether and just do deadlifts with my car y/n

Sell car, purchase more weights, watch the profits come rolling in somehow.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

monny posted:

Cable crunches are better, just sayin

Lies.

AbWheel4Lyfe

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'd basically never lifted and ate enough protein regularly before in my life though so I mean I'm essentially starting from being a small computer blob

Let me see if I can boil this story down to a good length.

This scrawny guy starts coming in. Pale as hell, sallow, soft belly. Probably a lot like you.

He's friendly and doing what seemed to clearly be Starting Strength-ish. Lots of squats and deads. Dude was working his rear end off. Good stuff. We chatted and talked about it. Cool guy, was tired of being a weakling, wanted to get a girlfriend.

He's regular for a long time, then disappears. Made surprisingly few gains for as often as I saw him working hard.

He reappears at the beginning of the year saying that he had been to the doctor's and they had diagnosed him as diabetic. He was on metformin. Improving his eating. He stood straighter, said he felt better than he had in a long time.

Becomes a regular gym goer again.

He tells me he's been moved to a daily shot. Looks better and better all the time. Says his food is on point, he's eliminated almost all sugar. Said it was quite the change but he's committed.

He tells me he's been moved to twice daily shots with regular testing. Still eating like a champ. Friends me on Facebook.

He tells me they're going to an insulin pump, his pancreas is failing/failed. He's making actual gains. He's changing jobs and he's going to be changing gyms.

He posted a picture of himself with a girl. I showed it to mine.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa posted:

What in the absolute gently caress is this thread about?

Alfalfa! I used your Powerbuilder routine for literal years when I was just starting out. Thanks man.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Woah what is this poo poo? I'm not really small.

Denial ain't just a river in Zimbabwe, it's time you started working on acceptance.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ran a 5k this weekend while :siren:my girlfriend:siren: ran a half marathon with a group of her college friends and spouses. Her knee is killing her and one of the spouses wrecked his knee badly enough to land on crutches with an MRI on Monday. Those of us who could still walk went dancing Saturday night, good times were had, cardio clearly killing gains here people

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

All are 4 sets of 6.
Squats - 325
Deadlifts - 345
Bench - 275

You're reaaaaaalllly close to 1k my man. Have you plugged these into a 1RM calculator yet?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

So you're working out and getting buff so you are strong to do what?

"Getting women" as if they are objects to do what? gently caress them and forget about it? Some life. "Getting women" improves your social status amongst those who hi-five people for being "playa"s. Who gives a drat about being more social amongst those vapid wastes of food and employment?

Video games are a great way to have fun, and enjoy things that are availible to you in life. Not only this, but the making of a game is an art form - by playing through, say, an RPG, you are treated to a grand story that is just overwhelmingly more fufilling than going out, loving some chick, hi-fiving yourself and calling it a night.

Man, I haven't heard that quote in forever. Good times.

Like a million others, I've been battling tennis elbow/forearm tendonitis forever. Been trying "Wood Lock Oil" as a topical analgesic - it's similar to Tiger Balm. The smell makes my eyes water though, holy hell.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tots posted:

If it's any help I am as well and according to some internet blogs it's probably tendonosis not tendonitis. Basically you're hosed for life and can only manage the pain, but do a bunch of slow eccentric movements and self massage that absolute gently caress out of anything within 2 feet of your elbow. Those are my tips that I've found so far which I'm pretty sure don't even work but I lie to myself so that I can convince myself to keep going.

Totally the same here. Try some topicals if the aches get to you - I like camphor/menthols like Tiger Balm, which you can get at just about any pharmacy. I've been trying Wood Lock for the past few weeks and while it works - the singed nose hairs just ain't worth it at times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
SWOLEception2O15: It's breakfast advice all the way down

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I sold a dude at the gym on getting some liquid hand chalk, we were chatting this morning and I was shrugging with it.

I really like it, check it out if you get a chance. Inexpensive, works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Straight up degloved his dick, he was impressed and said he'd check it out as soon as the bleeding stopped.

• Locked thread