Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Did they ever smooth out catching up to the pack in Shards of Dalaya? Last time I tried to get into it I had literal years of grinding and whatnot ahead of me if I wanted to do anything even remotely current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does anyone know if pets in SoD can tank for players? I don't particularly want to scour the forums for hours trying to figure it out and I also don't really want to install it if I can't play a bst with my pet tanking for me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I am picturing a future utopia where I can run a campaign of that wonky EQ Pen and Paper game using kickass EQ minis that actually look like the in-game models

realistically I'd just buy a bunch and set them up around my desk because who the hell wants to play EQ D&D

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I loving love the old wolf graphic

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

is there a good way to get actually usable third-person camera on TAKP? modern MMO camera handling has ruined the old eq clients for me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

oof, I guess second question - I don't care if the camera swivels around my dude but I never found a way to both shoot it way far back or make mouselook faster when using the f9 behind-the-head 3rd person, is there a solution to this?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I actually just messed with eqclient settings and the f9 camera zoomed out works better than I remembered after some settings fuckery, i'm not sure when i'm gonna give this a whirl but i'm definitely giving this a proper whirl

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

so slightly more derail regarding that TAKProject server - I tried to get zlizeqmap working with the luclin map pack but even after I jammed the maps into the proper folder it isn't picking up luclin zones, it looks like the problem is that the "ZoneData- The Al'Kabor Project" file doesn't have the luclin listings for anything but shar vahl and shadeweavers, can anyone that has this working just copy/paste the info so I can fix it without having to do it manually?

edit: I found it in the forum post on the takp site, just in case anyone else has this issue here's a link to the thread: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/zlizeqmap-luclin-map-pack.12121/

blatman fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 16, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wish there was a takp thread so I could post this there but this seems inactive enough that it won't annoy anyone - I clawed my way up from the newbie dirt and made it to 19 on a shaman on takp, farming the spiderling ruins in field of bone to afford spells and some garbage gear, this is pretty much perfect for the sort of game I was after but if anyone has a poison wind censer i'll farm spiderling silks for you in exchange. I think if I can nab one of those I can just cruise to 40 farming hill giants along the way to buy one of those clicky nuke bracers then level off of everfrost giants or something (seafuries in oot maybe?) to pay for torpor which will let me farm guardian wurms in skyfire at 60, this kicks rear end and it's going to continue to kick rear end

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Torpor is a level 60 spell, sadly.

yeah but it's expensive as hell so it's gonna take a bunch of levels to get enough plat to buy it, I figure if I specifically gear my route towards that end I can have a copy to scribe the moment I ding 60, then it's off to farm those skyfire gw's since I think they have the whole boss-spell-drop loot table from kunark

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

I usually two-box and play with some friends who are also two boxing. Boxing has ruined me and I can never go back to true box lol. I think two box is more common in raids but many people run three in the level grind game.

People are usually super nice and willing to pick up people for their group though. TAKP uses Al'Kabor's broken exp bonus mechanic where you actually get more xp for 4 people than 3 people in a group after dividing the xp, so you're incentivized to invite group members.

Ping meatza/lorien in game on TAKP if you see me and I can get ya some goodies. At minimum a set of banded and enough money to buy spells or a not crap weapon.

Prices are seriously deflated compared to p99. A JBB is only probably 1.5k tops. Ceremonial iksar bp 1k. SCHW 800p, other haste not much more and so on. Decent 0.5 ratio weapons only a couple hundo. Grabbed a lumi staff for 500 a while back

Focus items can be expensive. I picked up a white dragon scale cloak for 10k because it has Improved Damage 3.

I'm one of the only Kael factioned folks as well, happy to help farm stuff like Coldain Military Wrist guard (20% stronger dots with Burning Affliction III)

honestly i'm pretty surprised about the prices, I farmed spiderling silks for a few days and basically decked myself out with plat for spells to spare, I just need to sell a few more stacks and I can get the last of my leveling gear then it's a straight shot to..40 I think? when it's time to snag a JBB and start grinding giants or whatever

i'm probably going to pm you when i'm high enough level to use burning affliction 3 because that's gonna help a ton later on but if you see Fjonk running around feel free to shoot me some pro tips because I don't remember a goddamn thing about eq life in 2002

shirunei posted:

Shoot me a PM if you ever get up to the mid 30's I play a trio like a couple hours a week to scratch the itch and never get to group with anyone.

I'll do that for sure, i'm just playing 1 character though because I always wanted to level a shaman back in these days the old-fashioned way but never got around to it, my playtime is extremely strange though because I work graveyard shift but i'd have no problem with mangling my sleep schedule a bit for some eq groupage, in case you skimmed my post I mentioned earlier i'm ingame as Fjonk which is pronounced "Fjonk", however I am leveling very slowly so our groupage might take some time to get going

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wouldn't have been surprised if it just killed you and vaporized your corpse + gear back in those days, so i'd probably have expected that

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Lakedaimon posted:

My guild has been speculating that the test server is an ominous development, either another attempt to fix bad pathing in places like Kael (which usually results in worse pathing), or attempts to "solve" the train-out meta that apparently the GMs hate (git gud).

i'm hoping mischief rules but p99 tuning

to anyone who rightfully ignores live, mischief is a progression server where every loot mob drops random stuff from all the other similar level mobs and everything is tradeable. it was a buggy mess at launch with things like spite golems in hate dropping naggy/vox loot

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

shirunei posted:

takp

"the al'kabor project" with cheat engine to make mouse scroll work

wait what how do you do this

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hey does anyone know if there's anyone selling PoM coths on green these days? I occasionally have this urge to level a shaman, farm until my fingers fall off for torpor, then park him in plane of mischief and just derp around there indefinitely but I don't want to deal with having to actually raid ntov to get there and shamans aren't great for doing the ol' spicy pom run

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I'm giving p99 a shot I think, does anyone have any recommendations for a map utility? also any pro tips for starting a halfling druid, I put all my points into wis and cha and my endgame goal is to join dial-a-port to afford to twink the crap out of an alt

edit: i think the alt is going to be a paladin but i'm open to suggestions there

blatman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 4, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i thought green had been out long enough where trying to level an untwinked tank would be like pulling teeth

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

milkman dad posted:

Oh yeah sorry my point wasn’t clear- a lot of us are established enough on the server that we can help new players. If you’re looking to make a new paladin (or whatever class that is more gear dependent than a Druid) send me a pm and I’m happy to set you up.

ty i will pm you when i stop being indecisive and pick a class

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

milkman dad posted:

If you want to tank but still want some agency around being able to solo content you might consider a shadow knight. You can be edgy and make an erudite or iksar shadow knight. If you roll an erudite be sure to add 5 to agility. Iksar have the benefit of being able to quest for greenmist.

as an sk, is the lack of frontal stun immunity from not being an ogre going to be a big problem in practice? by the time I switched mains to shadowknight on retail the devs had given every tank stun immunity via an aa so I never really had to deal with it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I decided to make an ogre shadowknight, named fjonk on green server, gonna see how geared i can get from selling vendor trash to fund vendor diving expeditions near the blacksmithing trainer

that is, after i spend several hours setting up the UI first

edit: i screwed up and made a warrior, i'll fix it tomorrow

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i absolutely do not have what it takes to play this game at this point in my life, modern mmos and even live eq have spoiled me too much

ty to all the goons that chimed in to help earlier but holy dang I must have had crazy mental fortitude when this stuff was new

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i did in fact do that, which in retrospect is weird because i knew there were no maps going in

second time i panicked was when I remembered I had to keep track of my /loc before dying, except I remembered this after dying

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

shirunei posted:

take that loving AV off you pathetic scoundrel!!!!!

i will not

it reminds me of when i had a pair

edit: also i'm probably gonna give it another shot but i'm gonna do my original main of a human necro

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

honestly that gnome necro bone knight strategy sounds hilarious but i'm just gonna do the same strat as human, maybe slightly less effective but i get a rad eyepatch

now what I should have done was started in freeport because these sewers are a dumpster fire but I did luck out and get a cracked staff from my first mob, pawned it for all the good level 1 and 4 spells so when I have time to sit down and play later in the weekend I can just poopsock it for a few levels

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

its been awhile and i can't really look up the wiki on my phone atm but i'm pretty sure necro gets deadeye or something at a fairly low level for night-seeing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this necromancer is much more fun than the untwinked sk

i figure i will leave the sk for a future project

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hit 29 on my takp shaman, anyone have any strong opinions about plat farming spots at this level?

playing barb so i'm not sure if guard farming is smart

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

shirunei posted:

ive got a 30ish monk/mage we should group!

also, to whoever deleted the epic on the goon cleric for blue eat poo poo lol

i'm down, i'm on takp as fjonk

gonna see what all the goon suggestions are by the time i get off work and then go to the zone that sounds coolest but i already tried dalnir brutes and i was spending far too long waiting on respawns

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hows ranger for a no-box fresh start server where nobody has gear?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

not only am i gonna run slow because sow is at 39, i'm gonna run even slower than that because i'll be encumbered wearing 2/3 of a suit of banded as a wood elf or something

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

3 mages and a druid for ports

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the wait for quarm to launch on the weekend meant i sold like 40 stacks of bone chips to confused people who thought takp was quarm

it wasnt a lot of plat though but i wish them the best

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I made a slew of new chars on Quarm, but started playing as a Ranger (Imladris) as I've never played one before.

We've got a Quarm channel on on the Goon Emulated EQ Discord if anyone wants to get together: https://discord.gg/4yycvzh

you absolute madman, ranger on fresh

i joined even though im staying on takp

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ChairmanMauzer posted:

There's no hybrid exp penalty on here IIRC. It was one of two classes I'd never tried yet.

My other option was a Wizard.

honestly i think it owns and i'd like to live vicariously through your stories if you stick with it to cap

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i wonder how much of a coding nightmare it would be to add agents of change to this client

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i ran the everquest server i would simply give fungi tunics to my enemies to keep everyone off guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the first melee to discover jousting in eq pvp was like the first ape to touch the monolith and immediately pick up a bone to start bludgeoning his rivals to death