Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thank god I sold my 50 bard years ago because I installed this again and had nothing so it was so tedious I had to uninstall it again.

Saved me from myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, to be fair, if you were to level a bard again, a naked bard is about 90% as effective as a kitted one, especially while leveling. Not having a lot of stuff doesn't really slow them down so long as you have enough money for your core spells. Buy a mistmoore drum and gypsy lute when you get a 100-200 pp nest egg and you can have your genitals flapping in the wind and still be able to swarmkite or bring significant utility to groups. That early regen song is so insanely useful just by virtue of saving a ton of mana on your cleric/druid/shaman that they would be using for spot healing and between combat triage, even if you're just using a vendor lute instead of a gypsy one.

Not having stuff for a bard isn't really as big a deal as you might think.

I rolled an enchanter and got to like level 5, since I did the whole crazy grind and was the second 50 bard on the server back in 2009 and raided etc, don't want to do that again.
But I played ranger back in Velious days so I have extreme plate envy.
I also live in Moon Time zone so I was basically coming at this from an I will always solo angle.
This is painful.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How often are people killing and letting the Coldain royal frosted armor rot?
I remember back on live I got a level 1 warrior there and got a full set of the stuff eventually. Kind of want to try and do that again.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blast of Confetti posted:

Where can I get food and drink near the halfling starter area? I'm running low and coords aren't helping since I don't know how to use them. I checked the inn but the guy just sells alcohol and none of it says it actually counts as a drink or meal

The druid guild sells some.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Awww yeah. Someone killed a giant scarab in misty thicket and I looted a pristine giant carapace. Got a port to Butcher Block and got the bp, saw the boots for sale and used my guard shield money to buy that and then killed a few outside to get the helm then gated back since I am still level 5 druid.
Reminds me of when I went all the way to Erudin from Kelethin after looking up the barnacle breastplate for my ranger to wear. BTW rangers are a super bad idea to play, I only played ranger on live. They suck.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

Turtleshell Helm didn't have the plate graphic. The Small Scarab Helm does have the plate look and it's green. It's part of the Scarab Armor Quests you get in Kaladim; this is a great set of quests for new players.

The pristine scarab carapace for the breastplate can be bought from most vendors near scarab spawns for about 1pp. The helm parts are from super low level scarabs outside of Kaladim, not sure on the boots, I just found them on a vendor and grabbed them for 15pp.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kzersatz posted:

Dope, hopefully I can get tagged tonight.

Also
Buying Medium/low quality pelts and spiderling silk for these damned leather pads.

I'm going whole hog on smithing and trying to not go broke too quickly, I made it to 170 last night and man does it get pricey FAST.

Time to get an alt into high keep and farm those sweet sweet goblins.

I have a stack of spiderling silk and 2 medium wolf pelts. Im in the discord chat, but live in asia time.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely don't have the kind of time I had 10 years ago to be first or second bard to 50 on the server this time.

Tumpy tonic bootlegger was fun though.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

i kinda wanna roll a bard on green since i only ever played paladin but on the other hand i only got my paladin to 30 back in the day and i kinda wanna see the whole game. i want a ghoulbane again!

Bard is a kingly experience, second behind enchanters and clerics maybe, it is just so good to be able to move that fast and do that many different things and be that in demand and wear plate.

I was the first or second bard to hit max level when blue released... 10 years ago jfc.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

Bard or Shadowknight for green

Bard. Live the life of a king.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

For context they're limiting AOE to 4 mobs for some period of time since apparently in classic there was a bug preventing more mobs from getting hit, so bards won't be Swarm Fucker 3000's

I was a bard when P99 first released and didnt know about that extreme kiting.

It still rules.
Every group wants you.
The speed is unmatched.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anarch posted:

Remember when the GMs sat around and actively nerfed any experience quest that people were doing on live?

Yeah me neither. Green is a loving poo poo show. Thanks Rogean and staff.

I think they did this when Blue first released as well with Tumpy Tonics, since it was becoming a giant drug smuggling operation.

Like GMs watching people doing purchases and turn in for the quests and removing xp from them and then nerfing the quests xp rewards etc.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So this is in fact a very Classic P99 experience.

Also GMs are cops.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anarch posted:

That actually stemmed from an even worse bug - they accidentally made the nuts stackable, so people were producing them twenty times faster than on vanilla live. They immediately nerfed the experience (even though it was out-of-era), punished a bunch of people, and even refused to address it on Green bugs when it was brought up.

Classic P99 indeed!

Lmao, yeah I knew I had forgotten some wrinkle to it.

The proud Tumpy Bootleggers and their extremely low combat skills for their levels.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

please knock Mom! posted:

Your posts are a wholesome treat, never stop

:yeah:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyxdS1SSoo

He has also done some other pretty solid dives into some of the obscure stuff but only from a player perspective no inside dirt.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That owns. Enjoy that feeling.

Shocking to realize it is now further away from EQ original release and the start of P99 than it is from P99 start to today.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

hows ranger for a no-box fresh start server where nobody has gear?

13 yr old me thinks it sounds like a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That does sound very cool actually.