Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
"There must be some kind of way out of here,"
Said the lizard to a torch,
"There's too much platinum.
Maybe the client is best unlaunched

The guilds - they buy my wares
Players fetch my loot.
Who cares we are millionaires
Boredom is en route
Hey!"

"No reason to give up everything,"
The tunnel torch - it kindly smoked
"There are many here among us
Who feel the game is but a joke.

But you and I - know there's another path
To get us a payday
Let's not talk depressedly so
Time to burn the plat away
Hey!"

All inside the tunnels
Developers invisibly watch
While all the players came and went.
Barefoot druids too.

Outside the tunnel, and game
A lizard did sell
The RMT players logged on and opened trade
And the GMs began to howl, hey

All inside the tunnels
All inside the tunnels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

DeathSandwich posted:

I thought the smaller terrorantulings could also drop it, not just the big fucker himself.

As of the server now, only big daddy drops it

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I'll see if I can get an alt in place. Mauzer's still (attempting) to camp AC in OOT.

I'll be on with my main as Gadock

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

sailormoon posted:

After reading some guides, I’m thinking of running a Halfling Cleric for my first race / class. How bad of an idea is this?

The fact at higher levels people do "/who cleric lfg all" before they can think of making a group... It's good

Also halflings have bonus racial exp modifers so you outrace levelling .

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 7, 2018

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Dick Burglar posted:

I was joking. I just find halflings hideous. Having hide and sneak as a class that doesn't get traditional invisibility is probably actually very handy.

It's pretty good when in a dungeon with no undead or you sit in a spot where everything never paths towards you to see through sneak.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pratan posted:

Hey Gadock, thanks for the assist in TT. I got jumped by that named, was almost out of mana for fear kiting. Holler here if you ever need something.

Np np dude!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
I hit 50 with my warrior last night and I think i need my OT hammer now. Found it requires no grinding of sarnak braids if you have some money to rent a puppet string to charm the skeleton.

I hear a normal use of the click is about 1-1.5 k per click (which is super profitable since the string has 10 uses and it costs 860 to recharge) and I'm willing to pay or trade a shrunken gobbo earring + pp for the chance. Its so much more worth to have the OT hammer than being trapped in howling stones with no option but clicking my one use hat (which costs 180 to recharge )

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

cmdrk posted:

so I finally hit 49 on Haughty and I'm working toward being able to craft Ice Comet.

would you guys mind checking your banks to see if you have any Rune of Frost or Rune of the Astral? I've got 3x Frost right now but 0 astral. Research at 160, almost there!

The tarton quest let's you exchange the tarton staff and eye back to get a rune of astral and frost back as a reward. You need to go to 8 locations in the world

Including under the reanimated hand in guk (get double invis/invis undead cast on you) and close to miragual in everfrost peaks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Me and Mal cleared out the entirety of Warren's about 3 times. We were both dubious to people but threatening to the skelton guards.

After we went back, factions were still the same. I would punch about 75 kobolds, bring them to Mal, and he would ae them all.

On the p99 wiki there is a report that said a pair of ~58s did the same and went from scowls to amiably within 4 clears which suggest we should have seen something.

Edit: this was for hole key.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Deity choice can alter starting faction values, as can missed faction hits from the puller. Keep in mind that faction tables have changed over the years, but you're off to a great start.

I mainly skipped the whole thing by begging a newbie to let us into the city and then being a halfling just sneak buying from the lady.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I've been one to poo-poo on druids from time to time in the past (not recently, more like 15 years ago back on live) for not really having a set role and being super numerous, but I got one up to level 9 (thanks in no small part to a bank full of crushbone belts and pads I had collected on my bard) this weekend and they are a blast. Being able to dabble in a little bit of everything gives you some moment to moment options. The usefulness of being able to change gears at any given moment and go to healer mode from DPSing is kind of clutch at moments too. Having a full suit of medium raw-hide armor at 65 strength is real savage though, that poo poo is super heavy compared to regular leather.

I also completely forgot they got a treeform spell at that level. Not to turn into an ent like in WoW, but to just turn into a immobile tree. It's the right combination of pointless and dumb yet simultaneously awesome that I miss in MMOs that have come after.

Actually , I wonder if the exploit still works where you can walk around with minor illusion for enchanters or treeform for druids.

Edit: can you still minor illusion the entire Felwithe castle gate in faydark?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

sandball posted:

It's been said but Scowling can be a very very deep pit.

Thats just it. We started at threateningly for guards or dubious for residents. The pit of scowl was not a consideration heh.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
ZlizEQMap is no longer working. Won't start up at all. Gave it admin access and everything. It used to work last week but no more.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
How do you deal with a getting a res due to the server dropping connection and dying to a giant? I petition but realize it's a couple dudes so it might not even get answered and that means your 3 hours corpse rot is ticking.

I am now logged off to stop it from ticking down, but now I can't be online to respond.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

gepgepgep posted:

Did entire server crash? Would imagine you can get XP Rez after time ticks down. Just your net? Pay the plat.

My internet has been super solid. Is there a page that shows all server down times besides front page of current status?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Props to Spasepope who helped me out with that res! If you want Top Rated #1 Thomas the Tank Engine roleplay, check that dude out

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Dick Burglar posted:

Spasepope is a character/account (Spasepope is the only character on the account) that gets passed around. Mebash of Kittens Who Say Meow made the character/account, but the account info is passed along pretty freely to anyone in Kittens, and druids/wizards in Kittens are pretty happy to help port Spasepope around to wherever the rez is needed.

So basically anybody could've been logged onto Spasepope and given you the rez.

I had no clue but that's nice! But whoever was on it was super into sending me train like messages and I will not kinkshame

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Anyone use GINA, when i'm running 2 games (eq alt tabbed) and gina, it seems to cap the FPS in the other game to 30. Can I fix this?

Uhhhhh. You are running two p99 characters at the same time?

I don't think so because the GMs get reports of characters coming from the same ip and ban them super quick.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Nah any other game, dota etc.

Gotcha. GINA uses GPU for doing things like overlays.

This is Nvidia side of things, but you can force any application to use 3d settings of your choosing. I added GINA since it did not show up in the control panel and change the circled settings to unlock framerate, stop vsyncing, and something about my monitor refresh rate which was already set to what I wanted.

This is not a solution. This is just a suggestion.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

sandball posted:

P99 devs locked down all AoEs to something like 25 targets max or something awhile back.

I've seen bards seem to look like they are kiting more than that. I think maybe to make sure they always hit 25 when one is a bit out of ae range ?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Frog Act posted:

what kind of ungrateful child would refuse to accept generational wisdom and kill gnollsfrogs/dogs/undead for a hundred hours?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Inimicul posted:

One time I sat down to med and went downstairs to fix a snack. I came back up and saw the windows blue update screen. I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure that resulted in a CR.

Best tip for win10: buy an Enterprise edition key from eBay or something. Enterprise allows you to prevent updates until you say so.

It's exactly the same as pro, but better

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Inimicul posted:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Chief_Ry%60Gorr lists his head as only being a 16% chance of dropping. Dear God, I hope that's wrong.

The version that spawns during the raid always drops the head.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Siets posted:

Speaking of which, what's the latest with Pantheon? I hope they are still trucking along and not stuck in dev hell? Anybody been following that project closer?

They have stuff and an actual playable demo, but some of the stuff they are talking about sounds like DAWN where they were promising the world.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

FayGate posted:

Tofs is probably the worst dungeon to do for its level range. But don't take my word for it and make sure to stream if you do go. I could use a good laugh. Droga is good for the faction it raises. It's also quite a bit easier than the tower

It's actually really good exp. No one goes there because getting keys suck but there are two floors beyond the 4th where you can still exp until 60 that no one ever goes to.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Meatgrinder posted:

I have keyed 3 characters through ToFS. It is amazing. Bring a full group, low to mid 40s. Floor three is nice to xp on, four is nice for xp and drops.

It embodies EQ. It makes you rely on others and will gently caress you over if you slip up. The keys are not soulbound. The traps are unavoidable and irresistable. Mobs are tough. The setting is unique and weird.

Sadly the quests for it were never fully implemented. You were supposed to be able to upgrade the weapons and armor from it in several steps.

Also: vampire enchanter necromancers.

:cop: The keys are mistakenly soul bond on the server

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

That feeling when you hit a milestone level for a caster class, memorize your new nuke, nuke six times and sit to med, all while you watch the rogue backstab for more damage with zero concern about threat.

This game :allears:

I mean, ports and evacs are kewl. The only evac the rogue has costs about 400plat to recharge for a one shot.

Playing a porting class throws off your world view. Everything is so much closer since you have a built port.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 11, 2018

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, that rogue is probably twinked like crazy

But on the flip, it's not hard to get the rogue epic which solves the mainhand dmg and haste solution.

The only thing you can improve mainhand dmg is from ToV or .... I think primal??

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

It does indeed. Although my fish killer died twice until their skills were at level.

Waiting for a boat to get to OOT was probably the bulk of the time spent.

How many times do you win(lose) the kfish lottery and get the rodect nife fish manifestation?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what programming language P99 (and original EQ) use?

P99 uses eqemu so C++ plus Lua for scripting high level stuff

code:

#ifndef EQEMU_LUA_ENTITY_H
#define EQEMU_LUA_ENTITY_H
#ifdef LUA_EQEMU

#include "lua_ptr.h"

class Entity;
class Lua_Client;
class Lua_NPC;
class Lua_Mob;
struct Lua_HateList;
class Lua_Item;
class Lua_ItemInst;

<....>

For original EQ server back in the year 1999, it sounds like they did use C++ but in the worst way possible. The following quote is from one of the devs.

quote:

Ok first off it is not. Removing one single quest can kill the entire game. This is proven over and over when you work with the earliest source code over on [something not to be discussed]. Several times I would change or remove an old quest or even just move or remove the NPC from the zone and the zone would crash or not load properly. You have to go back into the code and fix the borken strings and pointers.

The Original EQ code, as far back as we have it is the penultimate spaggetti code, there are litteraly tens of thousands of lines of orphan code that has been piecemealed and changed over the decade by litteraly hundreds of people, miuch of which has no notations or refrences after the 7th or 8th coder has changed that section over the years.

The original code does not exist, even working with the original floppys I got in August of 1998, we still have been unable to put together a working build for Everquest MArch 16th, 1999. What you see coming out of servers like [something else not to be discussed] and others is the result of hundreds of manhours of hand inputing much of the old game back into the code, a very long and expensive process, that stuff just doesnt exist anymore.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

So I got my wizard to 34 and the lack of Jboots is killing me (literally). I never got them on Live, but the last few nights I've been checking SRo during the night time and often the zone is completely empty. Is attempting to camp the AC myself a fool's errand, what with the MQ cartel?

Do a /who in zone at 9pm game time and you'll see a bunch of ratsdruids swarm in thank you druid warp port.

They summon their bear pet, give it spirit of scale, and spam a macro consisting of "/pet attack an_ancient" and "/target an_ancient" while running around the desert like insane rats.

They only stick around for the first cycle and leave to infest the rest of the world

It is possible to go through the night cycle a few more times after the initial blight of druids. I think 3 maybe 4 times if you really are on top of killing the PHs.

Kill any male barbarian dervish (the only model "A Dervish Cutthroat" can take), "a mummy" (not crypt), "a desert madman" (this sucks since while the number is reduced during the night there are still a lot), and any sand giant (including the named one) and 30.6 minutes later you get another spawn.

In conclusion.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkk druids

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

khysanth posted:

My game account was banned last month after I called Sirken a snowflake in RNF on an alt-forum account.

I petitioned and have not yet heard anything for 4+ weeks.

Literally banned me from playing my characters created in 2009 because of hurt feelings in RNF.

Why is it when I tell the IRCop to gently caress off I get d-lines???

Just don't be a jerk about it and especially don't be a jerk to the people in control of the server or forums. This is applicable everywhere .

Sorry, but this was on you. Lowtax can ban you for no reason at all beyond today is cloudy. It's the best type of admin imo.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solarin posted:

Not that 'avoid challenging the manchildren running the private server' is bad advice. But a community of sycophants and people afraid to say anything is not great.

I find removing oneself from forums where drama lives to be good. I only go there when I want to read about guild leaders straight up lying on video about snatching rogue epic book to sell the MQ of.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solarin posted:

Bind sight is the best ability

I remember bind sight on a frog from the bottom of seb and targeting and moving my sight from frog to frog to golem to golem to eventually tolupjum

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

please knock Mom! posted:

the monk will solo fine with some long duration buffs, and shamans are pretty poo poo without fungi and before enstill tbh

Then if you don't have JBB it will be tough because it's saves so much mana at and after 45.

Friend of mine got to 60 and he was not really OP until he got Torpor which is ~100k

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

E: I found my warrior really frustrating because he can't really solo, and he isn't exactly in-demand for grouping either. I'm thinking of making an Ogre Shadowknight or a Troll Shaman for "grouping but also retaining the ability to solo."

Rogues and Monks look really fun too, but I don't have the cash to outfit one very effectively, and there's a lot of them.

I made my char on this server as a warrior because it was before my friends left.

There are three forms of warrior. First is "boy I wish taunting worked", then "I have some aggro weapons but shadowknights and paladins can cast a lvl 4 spell to attain all the aggro you made times four" , then miniature raid god ie literally nothing can tank better than you with innate class dmg reduction on top of defensive stance.

The difference between the last two forms is wiiiiiidde.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

That's... a pretty significant difference. Still, it seems like a bit of a long-shot to shoot for, especially if you're not already in a guild that's going to assist you getting to that point.

Yah, so unless you want to do some awesome poopsocking on starting lines for a raid boss coming into spawn window, then something other than warrior may be better.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

I have to imagine that if your group is entirely untwinked ADL dps classes, warrior threat generation is probably not that big an issue. In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king etc

The real heroes are the clerics or enchanters.

I have played alt clerics enough on for raids to know one thing; Fuuuuuucck thaaaaaaatt.

CH chains, timing, making a billion macros to quick target all tanks. Not enjoyable to the least.

If that is the end state of clerics, then don't want to play one for real.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Only see positive here. You are free now!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jester Mcgee posted:

I hit level 8 on my Iksar monk. Should I work my way over to the common lands? Things seem pretty dead in the Iksar starting area.

What's your name in game. I can help you out get to commons if you are still on in an hour

Edit: if this is your first iksar, just know iksars are hated by most of the continent including bankers but I think you can just run in and flop in front of one. Though one hit from a guard can be rough.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 1, 2018