Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

damastas posted:

You're in Taken? So am I. Didn't know there were any other goons there.

I'm also in Taken but haven't really been active for close to a year. My shaman's name is Sabbra, I'm trying to find time to play more but I work a lot (which I didn't when I apped). Fun fact: I designed Taken's current website graphics :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Pilsner posted:

I also don't see how RMT is such a big problem. What I'm truly baffled about is that people pay hundreds of dollars for items on an emulated EQ server..... come on! Oh well, it's your :10bux:

Is it really worse just because it's an emulation? I paid 80 dollars for an executioner's axe on live from ebay in 1999 when i was 16, and I can assure you it was a huge waste of money even then.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I always thought it was a really bizarre thing that your local client framerate actually affects your character's position as far as the server is concerned when using levitate. That seems pretty ripe for potential exploitation, but this is eq1 I guess.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

EQ is portable. Get it installed properly and then you can move/copy the folder wherever you want. I used to keep an install on a thumb drive to run on my office computer back in my batphone days.

This is such an awesome "feature" of old games. You can do the same thing with ultima online, so I have both eq and uo full installs already configured for their respective emu's on a thumb drive. The wonders of technology.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Yeah JBB is really useful, but not required. Without it you'll only be extremely overpowered instead of extremely, massively overpowered.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I always hear that there ironically isn't very much pvp on red other than the griefing and ganking. Is that really the case? I've never quite understood the appeal of eq pvp, in what sort of scenarios is it fun other than griefing people if you're a griefer? Not trying to troll I'm genuinely curious cause I was thinking about playing on red, but it sounds like it's essentially just blue with the added ability to grief people if that's your bag.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Yeah shamans are so insanely overpowered for basically everything other than PVP, race really doesn't matter. I play a Barb shaman and while yes sometimes it's annoying to have spells be interrupted by a stun, Barbs have by far the best plate graphics of any race. Of course, I also have a guise so dark elf shaman is how you really be cool. Oh and I rolled female. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other guised female shamans on Blue who are active. I'm still amazed at how many people ask me "how are you a dark elf?" and also at how often a druid will pick me up for a port and give me a SoW, even though they can see the shaman epic in my hand!

Ugh I've been playing this game for like 17 years...

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
PoP was definitely wayyy better than Luclin and I kind of wish they had just skipped Luclin altogether. Still though, PoP had that same engine overhaul\graphic style as Luclin so it always felt like "new EQ" to me compared to classic\kunark\velious. The zones need to look like jagged geometric nightmares for it to feel like EQ, basically.

Not to mention that prior to PoP, new planar zones were introduced very slowly and their content was digested over a longer timescale. Then PoP came out and they were like welp here are all the rest of the planes at once! I mean, I don't know if it's necessarily worse that way, it's just a difference.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Sad I missed it, but glad someone did it, very classic.

Primals that proc still drop off of MOTG and the Progenitor.

So are there any items that you 100% can never get again after the sleeper is woken? Cause if not, I really don't get why nerds get so upset about it. Especially if they still drop from mobs inside sleeper's tomb, cause you'd still have to at least be advanced enough to go there anyway, you just have to kill a different mob to get your primal?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Well the distinction is further confused by the fact that when UO and EQ were the only two real MMO's in existence, UO would get held up as the quintessential "sandbox" MMO while that newfangled "Everquest" game was much more soulless and linear. Now, even Everquest appears "sandbox" compared to the modern ultra-themepark model, while the original UO model just seems completely unheard of (what??? Non-instanced housing and full loot pvp?? But.. but... I might have a negative experience!)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

pepito sanchez posted:

except a good percentage of people weren't into the extreme open-worldness of the game, the risk of PvP. it slowly changed from adding trammel - the no-pvp mirror dimension of the world - to slowly changing the game to compete with diablo2. Now the most populated servers are free, older era ones. funny.

It's weird to me that UO: Second Age isn't a more populated emu server since it's basically the p99 equivalent for old UO players. I've been on it for years casually, and currently they only pull maybe 150 people at prime time, and who knows how many of those are unique players. You can easily find space for small houses, which isn't necessarily bad, but you can ALSO relatively easily find space for larger houses and sometimes even towers just by wandering around enough. To me, that's a sign of an unhealthy UO server. If it could pull p99 numbers it would be so glorious :(

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

pepito sanchez posted:

and i'll add here that the only reason i didn't start playing on the newer second age server was because it WAS new, and i didn't want to invest time into another skill macro grind without knowing for sure if it was going to stay up or not for a good amount of time. now i kinda lost interest in the UO scene, but i'll always acknowledge it's the most fun pvp game i've played ;)

I hear that, UO:Second Age does seem to be pretty stable though, I believe it's been active for years now. Even with the low pop there are regular GM events and afaik little to none of the usual drama that brings down UO emus, I just wish it had a larger population so it didn't feel so lonely. I actually get sad when I'm killing balrons and nobody shows up and tries to gank me for hours at a time. Funny how UO can turn you masochistic like that.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Brother Friendship posted:

I literally couldn't understand how to play it, like when I tried to kill something I either couldn't catch or it a deer was more powerful than me. I did cut down a tree and make some chairs, which I put out on the street and sat on while asking people to buy them.

Then a naked man ran towards me and shouted 'Vas Flam', a giant fireball appeared and then he died. I uninstalled the game 20 minutes later.

Pretty standard first UO experience. UO gives no fucks about you.

Nah seriously I don't blame you I love UO but I'd never pretend it's easy to learn, or that it doesn't seem very lovely at first.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

moolchaba posted:

On that note, my rogue solo project is going decent. I'm 8 weeks in and already level 47. My guy is completely untwinked, unlike some other heathens.

I'm also not using the bind wound macro during combat. I did use it for a few early levels, but it was making things too easy.

What are you soloing on an untwinked rogue at level 47 if you don't mind me asking?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Shaman epic is almost as bad, before the patch there were so many low level shamans carrying it around and although you can't click it until 46, the stats on it are still great for any level.

I generally approve of changes they make which are classic in spirit, albeit not classic in a strictly mechanical sense. They're called epics for a reason damnit! :argh:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

suuma posted:

I don't really get why the community thinks vanilla-Velious is "classic", for me it was Vanilla-PoP; fighting the gods made sense to me as the end of the "classic" era. Once WoW came out EQ got a little absurd, although OoW was nice.

I'm one of those people who thinks of vanilla-Velious as "classic" and it's mainly because of the overall lore. Cats on the moon was just getting too goofy and cartoonish even for a goofy cartoonish mmo. It was also just completely different visually, Luclin was the first major engine overall that EQ had, which began the era of blurry-far-away-textures and it just felt like I was playing a totally different game.

Not to mention the infamous Luclin models, which I actually think look kinda good as long as they don't, ya know, move around or anything.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Siets posted:

:stare:

That's got to be some kind of developer oversight.

All the best parts of Everquest are developer oversights.

(AKA "the vision" lol)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I played a Barb warrior as my first character and the first time I ventured out into the karanas, and made it as far as the north karana wooden bridge, was just amazing. I remember bumping into another much higher level barb warrior who had a rubi bp and crafted legs with an executioner's axe. It was the most uber thing ever, with that creepy midi music at the bridges... dahhhhhhh so good.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
P99 is great except for the total lack of naive players, which can't really be emulated. In actual classic, there were multiple full groups in temple of cazic thule every day. And I loved that place. Even though it had no real good loot, it was extremely out of the way and the mobs are like 50% healers. I remember feeling elite as hell swimming down to those gator groups in that tunnel, which literally dropped nothing. These days people wised up and just go to mistmoore.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

moolchaba posted:

Rubicite was the reason cazic was so camped. It was a ghost town post-rubicite.

I mean on my server it was pretty steadily camped after rubicite until kunark at least. So at least during classic era there were a ton of groups there just for grindfest xp even after rubi was nerfed and before kunark.

Then there was the luclin revamp, with those sweet sweet FT2 shoes. It was hard as gently caress and kinda awesome

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Slim Killington posted:

So who's planning on going green in October? I haven't played on P99 since it launched but I'm all in for a fresh server.

I'll never go green I have to click my guise on my female shaman and stand at the front of the EC tunnel all day looking cool

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
When you actually consider the classic timeline green is going to go by so fast. Year of classic, then kunark, then velious like 6 months later. They need to embrace this custom content thing

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
p99 is pretty much as classic as it can be given the technology, but also they have this dilemma of a change being classic "in spirit" or strictly classic in a literal sense. Like in classic before everyone was obsessed with min\maxing, there were regularly multiple groups in temple of cazic thule. Today it's a ghost town. If they made some change to the loot table there, or got rid of some of the pain in the rear end cleric mobs, and that got people to actually go there regularly, would that be more classic or less classic? Kinda both.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Dustoph posted:

In that vein, should everyone have to connect a USB breathalyzer and blow a .12 at least to replicate being a dumb teenager when logging on?

"Since we can't do everything, let's do nothing" is a bad mindset but I get your point. And nerds take this game really seriously so god knows what the right answer would be. I'm definitely playing green just to see how p99 with an actual classic timeline plays out.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

cmdrk posted:

i feel like rotating ZEMs would go a long way. or maybe it'd still be a ghost town, just a powerleveling ghost town.

Probably yeah. There really is no way to recreate people thinking a +5 dex cloak is worth camping. Or dealing with that loving horrible pyramid just to maybe get some lovely claws.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Gatorsmash Maul can do great damage provided you don't get lovely rolls, the delay is really long but shamen can haste themselves pretty early on and\or equip a haste twink item. It's in the vanilla game too so it's a good choice if anyone is gonna roll a shaman on green since kunark and velious items won't be in yet.

And yeah getting sow at lvl 9 is really satisfying for some reason, I've leveled up probably like 6 shamans in my eq career and I never get tired of it.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

Is there a reason why Pilsner's Zlizeqmap wouldn't work under windows 10?

I just installed a Home Edition and did a fresh install of EQ, wineq2 and zlizeqmap; logging is on, zlizeqmap is pointing to the directory with the log files in it and has the p99 dataset selected, everything launches fine but when I /loc or sense heading in game, zlizeqmap doesn't pick it up: it just stays on the default EC map after opening, whatever character I play and zone / loc / sense heading with. No cross appears, no arrow, nothing. So I'd say it's clearly not reading the log files, but it's got the correct directory for them in the settings, so...

edit: it's permissions. I was "not the owner" of the logfile. loving nightmare OS. Had to manually insert myself as a user with "full control" in the file's security tab for zlizeqmap to be able to access and parse it.

Win 10 user permission functionality is a total hellscape. Congrats on navigating it

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

insider posted:

Month away from Green and still no actual information about it. Starting to think it is not going to happen.

I mean how much information do they need to give us? Everyone kinda already knows what it's supposed to consist of. They'll probably release basic information sometime this month.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Warcraft 2: Tides of darkness is and always will be better than wow or any other mmorpg

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

That's like saying "Tetris is better than the Assassin's Creed franchise" which like, yeah, I guess so, but weird

Tetris sucks and Assassin's Creed probably sucks but I haven't played any of them. Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness always delivers.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Playing a Shaman in EQ can be irritating at times since there's 100 buffs people want and only 8 slots.

That really is one of the very few downsides to playing a shaman. Even at low levels you're almost as good as a warrior.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I honestly just don't use canni unless I'm trying to heroically solo something. I can count on one hand the number of times my group\raid would have wiped if I wasn't canni dancing. It's available so you feel like you have to do it but you really don't 99% of the time.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm so pumped for green, it's gonna be such a clusterfuck it'll be glorious. When p99 first launched the pop was only like 150-200 at peak hours (anyone else remember the server wide /ooc?). This time the pop will be much closer to an actual EQ server from 1999

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I prefer less xp per mob but having a cozy secluded spot with lots of spawns VS waiting forever on a list to get a highly contested xp camp that might not even actually be faster when you factor in the wait time and lack of alive mobs

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Yeah I always thought a manastone, much like canni, is kind of useless outside of very specific tight situations. The vast majority of wipe saves don't hinge on that one crucial manastone click, maybe like 1% of them ever. Selling it for like 200k and twinking an alt is pretty fun though.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I just love that it's a full year of vanilla before kunark eeeeeeee I'm so excited for this nerd orgy trainwreck

Sidebar: I hope the original midi music will work in the appropriate areas. I remember on p99 it worked fine at first, if you approach the bridges in north karana the spooky music plays etc.. but some patch seems to have broken it cause when I enable music now nothing plays anywhere.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 14, 2019

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

So with the original classic stuff that means hardcore xp penalties and what not right? Guess that means Paladins/SKs/Rangers will be frowned upon and possibly rare since you have to be a bit of a maniac to play something with that severe an xp penalty on classic.

Not sure what I'll play if I even do. Necro is always fun but I'm sure there will be a trillion of them along with Mages.

The answer is always shaman.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

I wonder if the people who start on Green will just be people from Blue, or if it will attract new players, and if they will influence stuff like "established" camps or weird little things like High Keep getting a double H in its commonly used abbreviation.

It will probably be a lot of both. And probably a lot of old blue players who haven't played in years, who may as well be new players at this point.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Rabbi posted:

TBH, Shards of Dalaya is a lot better than P99 systems-wise. They made a lot of really smart improvements.

That said, playing P99 is more fun, because you can always find a group to play with. The feeling of being in a good 6-man that's grinding away smoothly is why I play EQ.

Yeah I give shards credit for still existing, and the low-medium game is still fun, but it becomes a huge grindfest quickly after that and then it's only fun if there is a healthy player population to stir up drama and nerd dunk on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Indecisive posted:

i mean if they're gonna go classic they should go all the way, for the first year or whatever of the server you should be forced to play in 800x600 resolution with that godawful default UI that makes your viewport a postage stamp

The thing is they literally would do this if they could. There are limitations to what they can make fully classic due to the modern (titanium I think?) client they are forced to use. Hence why we will most likely never have classic sky graphics. I miss those quake style clouds :(