Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Archenteron posted:

If you're the Queen's bodyguard and let her, extremely tired, wander off to go do a thing, and the next time you hear about her, she's being carried to an undermanned infirmary while she scream at own broken rear end, you're likely to be a mite frazzled when you teleport in.

Also: Oh Mary :all ears:

I also like the detail that he's pulling the curtain open with his foot while carrying the doctor one handed and propelling himself forward with the other foot.

I'm amazed he didn't go through the back wall of the infirmary :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That is a hell of a face Petunia is making in panel 7 :pwn:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Y'know how in Understanding Comics they pointed out that in a horizontally long panel with multiple people talking it's assumed that the stuff to the right is chronologically later than the stuff on the left? Imagine that phenomenon condensed into a single face.

Oh I know exactly what it's representative of. It's an abstraction of her shifting expression as she begins to see Poppy/Kit but drat if taking it at face value isn't utterly hilarious :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

It's actually totally a literal thing she's doing. Petunia's expressions are absurd and wonderful.

Oh well in that case Petunia's going to have a stroke before this chapter ends I suspect.

Edit: Or is having :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Literally every thing about today's page is the best thing.

HGIS

Edit: Also the gears in Kit's head are heart patterned because of course they are.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I can't decide which is funnier, Poppy's well obviously there's a two date minimum :smug: or that the Queen's even more gung ho than that

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

World Famous W posted:

Let me just save that page so I can make an avatar from it... oh goddamnit, does every Poppy page have a hidden joke in the file name?! Now I'm going to have to go through and 'save image' the whole comic.

God drat it.

Mewbile Phone

Can confirm, am going back and hitting save image on all recent pages and it's a treat :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So I guess this makes Kit a U-Haul lesbian? :v:

Or, wait, no Poppy was the one who referenced two dates. Kit is a level even beyond a U-Haul lesbian.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm guessing that the plan is twofold:

1) Enthrone Poppy, so she'll be in charge of running the kingdom and Kit can concentrate fully on her research without having to worry about the little things anymore
2) Ensure that Lily will have a family and future after Poppy finally gives out from her heart condition.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that there is a plan right now. Kit's had an emotional rollercoaster of a day.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I thought Poppy was just kind of rolling along with things, considering, you know, the stairs, having to carry the queen to the infirmary, everything else that's happened today...

Between her original reaction to Kit calling her beautiful, her protective reaction to Kit's huge rear end in a top hat aunt, and various character moments like this one

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-6-page-5/

I'd say an argument could be made that the feeling is mostly mutual.

World Famous W posted:

There is no way in hell the rest of the kingdom would allow a possum on the throne.

Agreed. There's no way this isn't going to cause a bunch of complications that oscillate wildly between hilarious and depressing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Poppy's being a good friend and trying to help fill in some gaping emotional holes that Kit has, and she is currently rolling with an embarrassing situation with extreme grace, but she hasn't really shown any desire to date anyone as she wants to concentrate on raising Lily with what little life she has left, and I saw her feelings towards Kit as more of a motherly friendship from someone who really likes to help people out than a blossoming romance.

I can totally see Kit genuinely asking her out, but that's not how I read Poppy's point of view at all.

This is entirely possibly true. Personally, I just read it as Poppy's default state of being semi-guarded. Recall her conversation with Kit about so called benevolent rulers establishing amnesty, then going on possum lynching sprees once people take the bait.

If you'd been through that, and all the other bullshit she puts up with as a dehumanized minority, it'd be hard not to be sort of reflexively distant.

Edit: But on the third hand, reading the last three panels again doesn't really read as "rolling with an embarrassing situation with extreme grace". It reads like engaging with the proposition completely straight faced, especially the sudden reconsideration "because two dates minimum :smugdog:". Lord of Hats might be closer to on the money.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 6, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that Poppy assumes a very real possibility of just up and dying at any point within the next six years, so finding someone who is personally invested in looking after Lily "just in case" is an understandable priority for her.

Out of idle curiosity, how much of that is the heart condition and how much is "being a possum"? Her life expectancy, I mean.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

How do they blush through the fur?

It's logically impossible but communicates moods to the reader. Or at least that's how I respond to it :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Poppy would have given anything to be a mom. Also possums have litters, as we have seen every time another possum family has been shown.

In retrospect this seems blindingly obvious. :ughh:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

God, I hope Lily already knows she's adopted. If she found out now, in her current mental and emotional state? It would be bad. Could be even worse if she didn't find out until after she suddenly got a new mom.

She probably does? Poppy looked like she was about to up and say it in that Ewe-Lala page with Lily right there after all.

Edit: If this pans out it could be a good environment for Lily IF she lets it. Kits area of expertise is pretty relevant to Lilys interests. It'd be nice to see Lily get back some of her love of learning :unsmith:

Of course that brings me to a related point: I'm unsure how much Kit really grasps what she's getting into by pursuing a single mom.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 6, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's easy to forget in the midst of Kit's Extremely Mixed Bag Day but she can be conniving in her own way. :allears:

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-17/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well looks like the sentiment was mutual after all. Their initial reactions to Petunia posing the idea gives it away. Both had considered the notion, but thought it was impossible for different reasons ("she's the queen" "she's already married"). :3:

I look forward to the King Dolphense Balloon being the final fight of the second Tournament arc tho.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

majormonotone posted:

I have never wanted something to happen in a webcomic so much before

Countdown until tragedy strikes

THe countdown has already hit zero. The tragedy is no new updates til the 27th :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I've never seen that comic? vOv

It's the one with pastel queer hipster furries, with really bad pacing.

Kinda resembles Cucumber Quest. It's been posted here and poked a little bit for, if anything trying too hard I suppose, but mostly gets mocked in the other thread. :shrug:

I honestly don't know why this little kernel of pseudo-drama is being brought up.

Edit: In fact as I recall the only time the comic got posted here was by Lamps sooo what's the deal guy.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 13, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The worst I can say about GtH is that it reminds me at times of Kazerad and his unabashedly cynical approach to pandering with his webcomic endeavors. Which isn't a bad thing because ultimately, pandering to rather underrepresented groups isn't the worst thing in the world, but I don't think it has much meat as a story independent of those qualities. :effort:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Can you really call it pandering when it's drawn by someone who herself is a member of those specific groups? It's not a built-by-committee story, it seems to me it's one person's worldview and experiences presented for like people.

Yes.

That you can pander to people with similar interests to your own is the least novel concept in the world.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oof. Back to the gut punches I see.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

explain how it is "unabashedly cynical pandering" compareble to kazerad's cat trauma elder scrolls fanfiction homestuck rip-off in specific terms, then. because that's what you said.

i'm so exhausted by the goon tendency for lgbt creators actually telling stories about lgbt things "pandering" and not just trying to carve out the tiniest obscure internet space for our stories

edit: typo

Calm down and actually read the post. Reading the first sentence does not qualify as reading the post.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The worst I can say about GtH is that it reminds me at times of Kazerad and his unabashedly cynical approach to pandering with his webcomic endeavors. Which isn't a bad thing because ultimately, pandering to rather underrepresented groups isn't the worst thing in the world, but I don't think it has much meat as a story independent of those qualities. :effort:

GtH is, at it's worst, inoffensive. Much like ham handedly including a minority in mainstream media still beats the hell out of not having them at all, having more stories featuring rather underrepresented groups is nice even if sometimes they lack in substance.

Which is kind of how I feel about GtH. I'm glad it exists, and more representation is desireable, but that doesn't mean I have to think it's a particularly interesting story.

This is without even getting into issues like "pandering isn't inherently bad", see also the many complaints that have been levelled at Aaron Diaz: It's not so much what he does that rubs people the wrong way, but rather that he tries to present himself as some great feminist for drawing a boob.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I kinda feel about GTH like I feel about QC: it's boring, nothing ever happens, or when it happens it's offscreen because the author doesn't feel confident enough in their skills to attempt to illustrate it. And just like QC, the boringness results in passionate goon debates.

This is kind of my take. I tried to get into it but between A) the over reliance on EXPOSITION DUMPS to deliver what plot it does have and B) the way it rushes past what seem like important character defining moments because gently caress man we can't let plot and characterization delay us from getting to the snuggling and interpersonal drama, it's just really boring.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

I have no problem with the edit, actually. And the way they responded to the criticism was pretty much perfect- no apology would ever be good enough to avoid a dogpile. Showing remorse and weakness will stop nothing, even if it is sincere.

People on the internet will never, ever pass up a chance to whip themselves up into a self righteous dervish.

Dang you're right, giving a weak rear end non-apology is justified by idiots existing good call.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Minna Sundberg is a criminal and must show repentance.

This thread is actually more judgemental than the bad thread.

Not a criminal no. But she basically has confirmed that she either does not fundamentally understand why people object or doesn't want to.

Coupled with the other uh, quirks, in her comic it's a little concerning.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Avshalom is the only good poster and I wonder what people who feel the need to trumpet their comic book outrage or counter-outrage to, like, the internet generally, anyone who has anything to do with the comic exclusive, think they look like to other people.

All criticism is outrage. Any kind of posting other than "webcomics are good" is just too severe and gives me a case of the vapors I do declare.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

god forbid we ever react to anything without five layers of detached irony

I assume my seventh irony form and grin in a most poo poo eating fashion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi I like the juxtaposition of the King Dolphense balloon with the horrible loving cthulhoid nightmare dragon in the anniversary image. I, too, feel that they are equivalent threats.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 24, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

This chapter, Kit's youngest sister, Twee, was mentioned.

I thought Morbi was keeping her shadowy for her real introduction in the future. She appears the same way in the Anniversary page, so now I wonder if that's actually what she looks like. If she has some kind of shadowy Lucky Star, maybe her description as an "untouchable brat" is literal?

The conversation does highly suggest that yeah. I'm assuming Twee is either intangible or indestructible in some way such that she Literally Cannot Be Compelled To Do poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

She has four leaf clover eyes, so I would assume super luck.

Ah, good catch I didn't spot that detail. Presumably then she's weak to rolled up newspaper. It is sort of a gray area after all.

neogeo0823 posted:

I also wonder if the whole creepy eyes springing fully open thing here has anything to do with entering a state of super lucidity?

Yeah he seems to be going full Mad Oracle on us. Good thing that the prophecy he utters in his madness doesn't sound super loving ominous or anything!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dartonus posted:

I think it's the lettering system in Flora, I've noticed it a couple other times when there's writing shown (such as with Fazzi's Shame Cube, and the note Poppy left for Lily.)

I'd just like to thank you for bringing my attention to the background detail of Fazzi being put in a Shame Cube for attacking Poppy.

Chicadino runs a tight ship :v:

Edit: This also led me back to this page. I still have no idea what to make of the Madama seeming to recognize Poppy, or calling her Iron Matron.

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-27/

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 25, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Today's Poppy features variants of adorable at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Confirmation of what pretty much everyone knew at this point, that Friedrich Ricky is the Most Dad.

Also I can't say I expected him to conscript the goofy rat burglars.

Also a decent excuse for me to talk about something related: After doing a full reread of Poppy recently, Morbi you're doing a real good job on the plotting end of things. It can't possibly be easy to maintain good flow on a longform comic like this, but the story beats are really crystal clear for an archive reader: the chapters simultaneously manage to be very slice of life one shots while still advancing the overarching plot thread of "Poppy's personal connection to the Queen slowly draws her into the orbit of Momentous poo poo, despite her unambitious intentions" in a very logical and believable fashion. Can't wait to see where things go from here because I get the impression that what we've seen so far has only been setting the stage.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

Maintaining a balance between being fast-paced enough not to drag for the active update readers, but not so fast-paced that scenes seem to whizz by for the archival readers is one of those unique hurdles nobody tells you about before you start making a webcomic.
Sometimes I wish I was a one-person writing/drawing machine so I could update ten pages a week and decompress the plot a bit, but you have to know where your limits lie.

If it makes you feel any better, I think you've hit a solid point in terms of letting the characters and plot breathe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Going back and rereading the first chapter of Poppy, I noticed that the possum goddess' eyes do the same ring thing Poppy's did when Poppy was staring down the third favorite wife. Pretty cool. I wonder if that's just code for rage, or if there's something more to it, like a possum thing or a lucky star thing. I can't think of anyone who has done it other than Poppy.

Also, do we know if Possums can have lucky star powers? I assume that the anti-magic thing means they can't, but I'm not completely sure.

Sort of an ongoing mystery. Poppy's super strength is pretty explicitly VERY NOT NORMAL but we still have no idea where it comes from exactly. I get the impression it's not a Lucky Star because like you said, anti-magic but... :shrug:

And yeah the eye rings I read as "200% mad". Interesting though that that shows up in the creation story.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Don't forget, it's kind of a crapshoot whether or not possum immunity will work against a Lucky Star. Kit's eyes are blocked, as was Ewe-Lala's disguise, but Boris' superstrength wasn't affected at all by Poppy.

I think that's kind of a function of who the Lucky Star acts upon. Boris' Star acts upon himself, to make him big and strong, rather than acting directly upon another person. Ewe-Lala charms people directly, and Kit's eyes likewise need to interact with the person themself. When there's an intermediary step antimagic doesn't do much.

Much like Fazzi didn't need to bend Poppy herself.

KittyEmpress posted:

Maybe the April fools thing was secretly partially true: Mary isn't Madana Mystara, but Poppy is the incarnation of the possum goddess.

I definitely think there's gonna be some kind of parallel. The Possum Goddess' beef with the gods was their refusal to allow mortals free will, and this Specter of Fate who seems to be getting set up as an antagonist definitely seems to be disdainful of the concept of free will based on Poda's shpiel. I could be reaching though.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

The latest Friedrich Intermission page over at Poppy confirms that life everywhere is a soap opera.

I'm most curious about what exactly Friedrich has them infiltrating.

My first guess would be Chicadino's Estate, tbh. He's the newly appointed Prime Minister of necessity, being able to remedy the Dragon's Blood shortage situation, but neither Kit nor Friedrich are fools. I'm sure that, to varying degrees, they both realize that Chicadino isn't completely on the up and up. Having the Rodents investigate the place pre-emptively seems like the kind of thing that Friedrich would do to protect the Queen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he walked right past Kit's guarded lab to the room the mice are chewing a hole in the wall of.

Friedrich doesn't need mice to enter Kit's lab, I don't think. He's in charge of security of the entire palace.

Gustaf was able to enter Kit's lab, I don't think Friedrich getting in there would be a problem.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

He could enter the lab, sure, but could he find out the secrets Kit is keeping from him? My read is that the dragon incident happening so soon after infiltration by that octopus lady has made Friedrich suspicious, and he wants to make sure Kit isn't doing something horribly stupid. Which she is. So that could be interesting.

Entirely possible, but I more get the impression that the only thing that's been stopping Friedrich from looking around the lab is "Kit has been literally constantly in it".

The Lone Badger posted:

Ufufu fu fu ufufu ufu fu. Or weren't you listening?

Well I can hardly argue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

H...he has done magic in literally every single one of his appearances.

Edit: I don't think we witnessed whatever gave him that wound on his side. That looks recent.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 9, 2016

• Locked thread