Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What does the thread think of Supermassive Black Hole A*?

It's a hard sci-fi story about the human diaspora living in the galactic core (near the eponymous stellar body) and follows two characters, a revenge-driven engineer and an absolutely batshit crazy mercenary who's a lot more than meets the eye. Much of the conflict centers around the pursuit of very advanced technology left behind by a famous inventor during humanity's emigration to the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

A webcomic getting its own thread is a curse.

Gunnerkrigg hasn't suffered.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I just want Autnie Maya to come back. She'll probably execute all the idiots doing the chasing once they lead her where she wants to go.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Is that an Ebon devil? Jesus, what a mistake.

On the bright side, if she loses she only has to give up some of her universe shattering cosmic power.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Does this mean Allison just got crazy demon magic from someone a great deal more terrifying than before?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Megazver posted:

Devil grandpa looks rad, I hope he becomes a party member.

Well, someone has to teach our hero the terrifying black arts of dread sorcery.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

He can do the Ghostbusters song and punch it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think this time it's not so much about Doc's blindspot as it is about the fact that King Radical is winning, decisively. This is legitimately probably the only option left with the stakes this high and victory so close for King Radical.

Plus, Sparklelord likes Doc's world the way it is. They understand how lame Radical things are.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Why do we have to have this conversation every time it comes up?

Because it's really edgy and trendy to hate a popular webcomic that's mostly popular because it updates a lot, when people should really just chill the gently caress out and read what they actually like.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Do you chalk up every instance of ambient negativity to it being trendy?

No, just the repetitive ones. I could not care less about questionable content. I get a little annoyed when things with merit are ignored in favor of the same stupid talking points. If people want to eat millet once a day instead of steak once a week, who cares? This is the internet, go find something you like. Otherwise you're just being boring.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Sparklelord loves Doc's world, because it's so lame compared to the Radical Lands. King Radical was going to do the Radical Holocaust. I think that's an obvious choice.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Someone tell me Boulet at least figures stuff out on another sheet or something. Is he a drawing robot?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kojiro posted:

If you're into Derelict, btw, the first book is on sale til the 4th. Couldn't recommend it enough, it came out really nicely, and since Ben's moving house right now it'd be a great time to support him.

The comic about the most loving terrifying lethal goof there's ever been. It's always a little jarring to see how Dang just cold-bloodedly offs people.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

fair point... and given her newest page has like 200+ comments I'm not optimistic on that level :unsmigghh:

Googling the author of these books makes me suspicious

but friend tell me he is legit good so I guess I'll have to check those out

As unofficial Steven Brust cheerleader, I both completely disagree with every one of his views and loving love everything he's written.

I would go so far as to say that Steven Brust is the best living fiction writer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Just don't start with the prequel side-trilogy that he wrote as a self-indulgent Three Musketeers Tribute, with a great stylistic match for the longwinded archaic tone of Dumas.

If you want a first Brust book, start with Jhereg or Yendi.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

Also there are like 4 new PBFs holy poo poo how did I not know this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Everybody please keep in mind that Chris Hastings is writing Vote Loki.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Carrasco posted:

Dr McNinja's kinda dark this week, huh.

I hope this ends with another improbable explanation like all those children who somehow regrew their heads after they exploded, but probably not.

Eh, as long as pirates are involved Dan McNinja will solve the problem before Doc even gets to it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I want to point out that I think everyone should read Buck Godot, it's miles ahead of anything the Foglios have done.

Like, why the hell are they doing GG when they could do more Buck Godot?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I think now that Poppy is regularly taking over the main webcomics thread, it needs its own thread.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Most of the magic in LOTR is just how things are. Gandalf throws fire around because of his ring, not because he's a wizard, and the other stuff he does is mostly tricks. The only out-and-out magic he does is because he's an angel, and even that isn't very big. The rings are amazing works of magic because some guy was just that good at metalwork. It's a world where craft and secrets have power; Aragorn's sword is more than just a normal sword because of its history and because the elves poured all their skill into it.

All the middle earth stuff is very influenced by Norse mythology, so the closest thing to a magic spell are the songs of slaying sung by ancient heroes as their blades cleave through the flesh of their enemies (because in this world, God sung existence into being.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The best magic is in Conan, where it's practice is a sign of evil and to be snuffed out

There are some magicians in Conan who are Cool Dudes, just not many.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Anyone who has ever played Patapon knows drums are serious business.

Just imagine how much crazier the comic will get once she unleashes FEVER MODE

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kurtz desperately wants to be accepted by the "mainstream comic authorities", whoever that may be, no matter how stridently he denies it at times.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

President Funkhouser isn't dead, though, just trapped in the Negazone (I love the fact that this sentence makes perfect sense.) It's not the "protect the acting president" spirit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Mate, I didn't read all those words, but whatever they were, you wrote to many of them. We're just talking about webcomics, nothing needs that much of an effortpost.

I completely disagree. Effortposts are the best posts, there's a reason why low effort ones are probatable.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's just another step on Doc's road to become The Most Radical Man in the Radical Land.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Numero6 posted:

I love that Charlotte basically took over the newspaper. http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20161114

Well... the actual reporters are busy trying to survive a new owner who really believes in the twitter #revolution.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Al-Rashad has started their second book here, although the updates are once a month right now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The pizza was Ben's last piece of unfinished business, and once he had it he wasn't a ghost anymore. Now Old Patrick McNinja is in Purgatory, but Dr. Patrick McNinja isn't, and Raynor will realize that when he sees the face of the corpse he's unmasking, just before he dies.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Avshalom posted:

insane people make the best art, it's a stereotype that has been proven true again and again throughout history, however non-insane people can also make good art if they try hard and believe in themselves and they tend to be more reliable when it comes to transactions involving money. however modern psychiatry has levelled the field a lot and i hope someday it'll be possible for insane people to make great art AND basic income please without being doomed to a life of mailing their ears to prostitutes and/or mailing dead wasps to kickstarter backers

There are these people called "agents" who act as a buffer between strange people and people who are willing to pay for the products of strange people. However, some people are strange enough to not want help, and some decide that trying to make money is somehow bad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I honestly think the best way Girl Genius could go would be for all the insane people in this world to hijack every one of the Other's crazy schemes and leave it with nothing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Forgall posted:

What's happening with Lackadaisy? It hasn't updated in a while.

That's normal. Lackadaisy is a side project.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pierson posted:

Dresden Codak is still indecipherable anime-style nonsense but it seems to be updating regularly now, good for him.

Your monthly reminder that Aaron Diaz gets $4500/mo for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

:thejoke:

But really, 17776 is really good so far so go read that.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

:catstare:I'm not entirely sure what I just read, but it is some loving insane infinite canvas poo poo. Prequel guy, eat your heart out.

• Locked thread