Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Today's Dr McNinja: King Radical was the only man to enter the Senate with honest intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

And they STILL haven't let him kill batman yet

There has to be at least one alternate universe/imaginary story/elseworld where he just incinerates Batman from orbit.

Red Son might count, but I think that was more Batman killing himself to avoid torture? It's been a while.

...bringing it back around, anyone think Beeman will get a cameo before Dr McNinja wraps up?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

fritz posted:

It sort of looks like "School of World" (http://schoolofworld.tumblr.com/) is gearing up for an ending, which I'll be sad about.

School of World is really charming. It's like the kind of comic you'd read in a newspaper (three panels, gag-a-day with the occasional longer storyline) except enjoyable.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Monster Pulse: "we experienced many traumatic events together, but it was still cool and stuff" could be the comic's tagline.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

No. They're all dead now.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised this is only the second time someone blew up his entire office. And there was never really a whole "Die Hard in a Clinic" story, either.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

qntm posted:

I feel like the death-switching mechanic could have some mileage in the form of a videogame.

Hell, the basic concept sounds like every game Ubisoft's made for years.

"You are Jimmy Yee, sworn to get revenge for the brutal deaths of your beloved wife and daughter. When all hope seems lost, you discover an incredible and destructive power..."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He's probably still alive in some contrived way. Whatever that "33 days" trick is, maybe.

But this sequence is probably happening simultaneously with the last one, since Hunter mentioned sending out a team at the start of last chapter.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

So in Dr. McNinja I definitely though it was Old McNinja, but now I'm guessing...evil clone? Doesn't seem like clones are too hard to come by in that universe.

The last thing Old did in this comic before smoke bombing out was threaten to disembowel the kid. It seems the hate persists.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I went and read all of Othar Trygvassen's Twitter, and that had some interesting clues to the current plot of Girl Genius, namely:

-It confirms that Tarvek's notebook probably holds some time travel secrets, because Tarvek has one of those time window gizmos in the future, which he uses to send Othar through a time loop.
-There's a lone geisterdamen in the paris sewers who doesn't know what the rest of the geisters have been up to

Othar's twitter was really good for a series of supplemental stories told 140 characters at a time.

I never expected it to have anything to do with the comic proper, but the train showed up eventually.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So was everyone who died as collateral damage in their fight a death row inmate too? Based on that, and the whole "being a drug lord dealing the world's most pure cocaine" thing, Hunter doesn't really have the ethical framework that makes this necessary any more. And does the presumed logic that "they were condemned to death, this is just an alternate form of execution" still apply when you remove their tongues and chain them to a wall...?

At this point it seems like more of a stylistic decision, and Hunter's been funnelling death row inmates from all over the world for decorative purposes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

So do those one-legged navy seals get rest breaks because even on a good day someone's gonna get tired and have a slip-up that gets their head caved in for no good reason as seen there

It's ok, they apparently have the precision to apply a mob beating that leaves them unconscious, but not dead.

Also, are the conjoined twins on death row too...?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dr McNinja: "HE IS A NINJA" is such a great thing I'm surprised he's restrained himself to using it only twice. Perfect timing, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

The latest thrilling chapter of Demon has started today. It was kicked off with a comment from Shiga, himself.

Up till now, we've endured cum knives, convoluted plans of every sort, skyscraper-skydive battles that lasted for ages, cum farts, and all sorts of things. What the hell could Shiga possibly throw at this thing that would make him think we "couldn't take it"?

Morbidly curious about "It might not even a comic in the McCloudian sense of the word".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm guessing the twist is Hunter didn't suicide out of the female body, he waited a month and used the 33 day rule. (Whatever that is.) He doesn't realize Jimmy is inside his old body, as a fetus. (Because come on, at this point there's really no question that's where this is headed.)

But why would he do this?

I'm going with the "he's gonna break the fourth wall" idea, because Jimmy has no limits. He does not.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rei_ posted:

i'm hoping Dracula gets involved by the end of Dr McNinja

also do we know who the main timelines Chuck is? It's not going to wind up being Doc is it

I was expecting him to say "Chuck Goodrich" into the thing and have KR appear right before him, but this is, if nothing else, more climactic.

Wonder how many more consecutive pages with flashbacks we're gonna get.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Erfworld's sense of pacing has always been its low point, and the fact that it can't seem to hold onto an artist just exacerbates it. Book 1 was an exception--it felt really cohesive, and it just kept escalating in a really satisfying way. But Book 2 had that interminable "I wanna be on the battlefield" which just stretched on and on and was, by the main character's admission, incredibly pointless compared to the effort involved.

Book 3 is doing better, it had a bit of the problem where it would keep switching between half a dozen different plot threads without really advancing any of them, but it seems to have locked back on to its main thread and has been steadily gathering momentum.

(The prequel story was actually pretty good, albeit rather bleak and hard to reconcile with the way the comic starts out.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Moddington posted:

Ghost wizard's been petrified a good two or three decades, he's gonna be hella pissed when he shows up.

Also, he was in the middle of casting a spell that would kill McNinja by turning probability against him. (I kind of assumed the deal was the doctor would automatically die if he told anyone his name, but I guess the wizard didn't get to finish his spell. Or maybe he just suffers a ridiculous run of bad luck from now until the end of the series.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I can't tell if this is a reference to Splatoon or if it's just a coincidence.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Starting with the one in the small top-left panel.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It looks like it's attacking with literal shoulder blades though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It updated early. So...I'm thinking the human doesn't have to move like the monster.

Also, Julie really needed a haircut.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Webcomics Thread 4: That Demon thing was hosed up

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Sleepless Domain: wow, that's cold.

They needed to find some way to get the merchandise off the shelves before people move on.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Oh my God, Saturday's Wonderella has Fantomah in it.

I never dreamed of such a marvelous crossover.

I didn't recognize the character, but then I saw the newsbox and the words "Fletcher Hanks" and it all made sense.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

World Famous W posted:

In Demon, is that a catapult on the back of that truck or a tow rig? Can't tell. I hope it is a catapult and the plan involves just flinging dumb rear end immortals over the wall.

Hunter supposedly has "shields" that could stop every hydrogen bomb on Earth, so it'd be amazing if just catapulting bodies over the wall is enough to get around that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm gonna die historic on the Demon road.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Jimmy only cares about Jimmy (and his daughter), so that doesn't really matter to him. He isn't there to witness the alternate histories where Hunter wins.

Yeah, his motivation here is ennui. It doesn't matter if Hunter wins in some other reality, it gives him and Sweetpea something to do here and now.

Hell, after ruining Hunter's plan, maybe they'll let him live so they'll have another fun weekend to look forward to in another hundred years.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

And does that girl really have a whole head monster?

I'm still not sure what their deal is exactly. We've never seen another monster talking on its own, but the head is clearly the "monstrous" one. I'd say it might be something like Violet and Anima, except the head talked to the body like they were separate. Also, apparently they don't have their full range of powers when they're not physically connected? Which is not a trait anyone else in the series has displayed.

Of course the bigger mystery is why did these guys all start fights and then say 'we don't really want to hurt you', which I am really curious about. I feel like it's a miscommunication like when Nancy thought they were Shell, but the opening narration makes it sound a lot more severe.

Anyway...let's just take a moment to be thankful the buzzsaw bone beast didn't go up against Ayo or Guuzy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Monster Pulse: I'm not sure I understand what's going on in the last two panels. What's Abel flinching from in panel 5, and why does Ozzy think that indicates rudeness? Or is Abel just shaking his head at Lampwick's apparent uselessness (which would, indeed, be pretty rude)?

Regardless, a very happy birthday to Magnolia!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I've been meaning to gush about Widdershins' latest chapter for months, and now that we're posting images I think I'll just show why:

That's from before the adventure proper even starts. Until then, it's this incredible warm (not to the point of saccharine) family gathering, full of people happy to see each other, distant relatives being introduced, snippets of stories being told and food being shared.

After that, it's the best Romancing the Stone-type plot I've ever seen. It's a really sweet and organic romance, and, for once, the bookish scholar doesn't have to muss up her hair or lose her glasses or anything to participate in the action. Not to mention the villains, who are incredible--a super-hammy musclebound French noblewoman, a wizard talented enough to teleport but who just wants to take a nap, and the mastermind who manages to flirt our hero to a standstill. It's just a delight to read from start to finish, and while it ties together a lot of long-standing plot threads it also stands quite well on its own, being essentially a prequel to the series so far.

Anyway, yeah. Read Widdershins and be filled with emotions and magic!

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 13, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Demon: Jimmy climbing over a pile of corpses to get over a wall is the image that sums up his entire life.

Minus the camel loving.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

qntm posted:

Homestuck still isn't done?

It hasn't updated in about eight months, though we got a progress report recently. Supposedly it's going to wrap up on 4/13, but who knows.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

interesting webcomic, what's it called

Demon.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Monster Pulse is really cute today! Everyone's reunited after being attacked, including all the main and most of the peripheral characters:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I might read the end, have I missed anything since the worthless non-chapter of nothing but black panels that contributed nothing to the story whatsoever?

In a nutshell:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

To think that if Dr McNinja had never caught on enough to worry about C&Ds, the first stage of this boss fight would be literally Ronald McDonald.

Which would make the color scheme of these caves very different.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

In Demon news, things are just about at the climax, and I'm pretty certain Jimmy's plan is going off without a hitch. Trick Hunter into bringing every demon to the castle, then deorbit a satellite directly on top of it. Check and Mate.

That still doesn't actually stop the coup.

Then again, given that they spent all this time figuring out how to be Siamese twins and pegleg murderers and gave no thought to what they'd do when they actually reached Hunter, I don't think they really care.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Monster Pulse is going in a new direction too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I didn't know how Jimmy was going to win this but this is an amazing way to do it.

"gently caress floods" from a few pages ago was the funniest thing in Demon in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The last week or two of Dr. McNinja I just kept thinking, "isn't the entire point of mimes that they don't talk?"

• Locked thread