Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Kind of morbid that I've been waiting weeks for this to happen but it's finally here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Neat little foreshadowing in the last Widdershins update.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
His office is considered "base". Sure that rule really only applies to the cops, but I guess it extends to anyone who isn't Hanz or Radical.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
RE: K6BD
I saw that the last milestone that's available includes an RPG book. Is there any idea what rule set it will be using or does the author have their own in the works? This setting seems like a relative of the Planescape setting which was another popular multi-verse.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

is that the one where you roll for your rear end in a top hat size

No that's FATAL and shame on you for bringing that up in this thread. FATE on the other hand is a pretty nice system from what I've read of it (been trying to organize a local campaign). It's available as a "pay as you want" system as of the last year or so and I know they have very flexible licensing agreements. If Operant uses this I think it could work.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Hunter, like Jimmie, stays really focused on just a few details now. However, I'm sure that what he's currently doing is going a bit far, even for him.

I can safely say I never thought to calculate the perimeter of a compound in death row inmates. .

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Ultimately I think the thing that's really unbelievable about Demon is that Jimmy isn't easily trackable by the endless string of random suicides he leaves in his wake.

I think that's how they originally track down Jimmy because of what happened in the motel.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So in Demon, I think Hunter just won.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I just realized that the next pages might deal with Jimmy trying to find a way to kill himself in utero so he can get after hunter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

djw175 posted:

Skullkickers is a pulpy comic that follows a monster slaying duo around. On their travels, they meet an elf who wants to fulfill her destiny, a demon who wants to take over the world, and an intergalactic elder god who wants to take over all the worlds. Hijinks ensue.
Thanks for making me aware of this. Fantastic read so far.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't stop gawking at Megatokyo and Fred.
Part of me still likes this series (I have my print volumes on my shelf). I just wish that Fred would update the drat thing and finish it. It's not the fact that his art hasn't improved over the decade and a half that the series has been running. It's not the fact that Rodney left and took the humor with him. It's being able to forget about that series for months at a time, and when someone brings it up going back and seeing another calendar pinup or store ad. Hell Outsider has had more consistent updates over the last three months. And Jim Francis is also working on a video game. And He's the kind of crazy perfectionist who creates 3D models of every location in his comic so things stay on model.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It seems like this gets mentioned any time Megatokyo gets discussed, and it truly boggles me considering that Rodney left thirteen years ago.
It's really obvious that without someone to reign it in. Fred just layers on the drama which get's pretty silly after a while.

quote:

Although that said it also boggles me that Megatokyo is still going at all.
I want it to end if only because I'm committed to seeing it through all the way. The later chapters are fine if you read them all in one go, but god help you if you actually read each page whenif they come out and try to pull together a story from that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What were the jokes like
Honestly not the best. Like HorseRenoir points out, Megatokyo was one of the earlier webcomics that was aimed at the geek/otaku crowd. Aside from helping to break new ground it's pretty mediocre all around.

The basic setup is two Americans, Piro and Largo (who are in no way surrogates for the writers Fred and Rodney) going to Japan for reasons I forget. Except the world operates on videogame logic so the first thing they do when they get there is beat a ninja at Mortal Kombat because someone forgot their passport. It started off as a more gag-a-day comic with Largo being this insane l33t speaking person who seems to be one of the few people who treats Godzilla destroying the downtown area as more than a minor inconvenience. And Piro who is this moody, wishy washy artist who likes Visual Novels way too much and acts as the straight man for the duo. There is continuity to the series but it's not until the second or third chapter where Rodney leaves and the jokes get toned down and things get played straight more often.

Pavlov posted:

You have a sickness.
I got on this train over a decade ago and I refuse to get off until I get to the end of the line. :colbert:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

The worst part of Megatokyo is I keep hoping Fred will turn it around. Like....he'll reach a state of self awareness and suddenly have an interesting story about weeaboos. I think that's part of why people praise the early part of the comic, the last time I went through the early strips I kept thinking, "This had the potential to be good."
Yeah I feel the same. There's still foundation for an interesting plot and I'd be lying if I didn't think that whatever chapters make up the 4th and 5th volume aren't good. But at this point if he can't even put out a single page a month we'll never see the end of it.

DoubleCakes posted:

Mostly everyone has a fondness for one of their first webcomics. I visit El Goonish Shive every once and a while to see what perplexing direction the author has taken the comic in the latest chapter.
I popped my head in a week or so ago out of curiosity and saw people in a mall crowded around a glowing messiah, a griffon, and genderbent superhero Elliot and closed the tab.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

What if it's a whole skeleton?

That's actually terrifying and I feel sorry for the person who can't move because their skeleton is walking around without them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Moddington posted:

Actually, since the running theme is that while the body part disappears the monster magically continues fulfilling its role, the owner is probably moving in perfect sync with the monster at all times.

So Pacific Rim? Doesn't explain how the owner shares vision though unless the gimmick will be that the skeleton monster flails around blindly.
Rather than the whole skeleton though, it looks like it's primarily the pelvis and Spine. So the owner could just be confined to a wheelchair

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

In Monster Pulse news, Ha! She's spineless! :haw:

She's have to be to agree to wear matching jumpsuits like those.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"Well Dad, that's my...my heart"
"Metaphorically?"

Monster Pulse continues to be amazing and with new digi-destined things should get better.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tollymain posted:

today in widdershins: not entirely surprising, i guess. i wonder why luxuria went along with it, though?

Add "walking in heels" to the list of skills every gentleman adventurer needs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I feel like they could have just beaten him up at any time.

He's excellent at tailing someone but I feel like he needed to be paired with someone with less crippling drawbacks to their offensive powers than "literally goes deaf temporarily". Looking at these new fighters the only one who got a decent matchup was Brazilian Tooth guy. Even taking into account that whoever is sending these kids out probably doesn't know about Violet or the vocal cord child; they sent these kids out by themselves instead of pairing them together for maximum benefit.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Hooray, glad you liked it! I will take your stolen hours and use them to make more updates with.

I hope at some point we can actually see Henry and Isabelle's wedding? Because even a single spread would be hilarious.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kojiro posted:

It's extremely tempting to base a later story around it, to be honest. I had a lot of fun with the flashback characters, and writing a Disaster Wedding would be fun as hell.

I'm not sure I consider a wedding where half the attendees consist of ex-cons, swashbucklers, former adventurers, and the occasional very confused nobleman/woman a disaster but to each there own.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Necropolis continues to be fantastic, although this is the last update until April.

It just goes to show, never bring an enchanted sword to a fist fight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I feel bad for the tooth kid in Monster Pulse. He's about to have a severe heart attack.

Captain Bravo posted:

No, but the only completely fatal effect is loving up your lungs. Why would Demons care if the body they're in gets hosed up beyond all recognition? As long as they're still alive, all they gotta do is find another person and off themselves.

Demons body-jack the closest living person and right now that's Hunter or any remaining Jimmy's, Sweetpea's or demon soldiers. So the mustard gas is a bad thing right now, in any other situation they'd be fine.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus christ Jimmy

I didn't know how Jimmy was going to win this but this is an amazing way to do it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

It's really pretty frikkin' genius. You already know your enemies are planning to kill themselves, use that to your advantage! :v:

I thought that using bodyjacking assassins to take over the world's upper management would be a lot more...subtle. But no way people wouldn't notice the sudden news of multiple suicides at the same time during the same day all over the world. Then I remembered what I was reading.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

They're held up by invisible suspenders.

I would have said 4th dimensional trousers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Poppy is the gift that keeps on giving. Her face when she realized her friend/employer is a complete badass.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I feel like I missed something with Monster Pulse. When did Julie and Violet's parent's become an item.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Amazing Jimmy just hosed the entire world.
Brings a new meaning to the phrase "kill them with kindness".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tollymain posted:

reporting from the paranatural thread to announce the latest update is an 11/10

You know I'd almost forgotten that the good doctor works for an organization where suit/pajamas are required wear. Also it's an organization full of dorks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pick posted:

Zebra Girl completely gave up on the tech support plot angle in like 2003.

But we did get Magical internet so I consider it a win-win.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Had to stop when the Headmistress wanted the acolyte to testify about her dreams in front of everyone. Because having sexy dreams about your patron saint is completely normal

You know it's been a while since we last saw the horrific John Carpenter-esque monstrosity from beyond the veil. Good to see she's doing fine.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pick posted:

I never read Jack except I knew someone in college who was a forums moderator there. She would ask for help (on matters of forum moderation).

Better off than me. Read through it back when badwebcomicwiki was still really active and people kept slamming it in the comment sections. Quite possibly one of the most vile comic I've ever read and you're a better person for never seeing it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Widdershins: That bit of logic from Ms. Acedia actually broke my brain. Is getting fed to a manifestation of a deadly sin not the horrific thing I imagined and instead good? And she did just spend 30+ years arranging for this to happen all so she could get some sleep. I'm so confused

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's the decades of prep work that are baffling me. We don't know her life before Mr. Luxario showed up but all of the other vessels were people who were desperate and in one case at death's door before getting rescued if memory serves. Plus immediately after waking up all of them split and it would b hard to not realize that their mutual benefactor is missing. She's definitely very zealous about not wanting to work, she wouldn't be a good sacrifice for sloth is she didn't give herself completely over to that mentality, and she's not the first time in fiction I've seen a slothful character exert the most effort to complete something. It's just usually the case when they do that someone is twisting their arms to do it which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

perhaps she is no longer full of sloth, but wrath

"Interrupt my naptime will you?!" :argh:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's being carried by a tail that really puts them under.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
List of people who are now screwed in Widdershins
  • Sid
  • O'malley
  • Wolfe
  • Ben
  • The entire Barber clan
  • The town itself
  • The world too because why not?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Deprived is the best webcomic about a buff naked woman with a club that I've read all season.
Thanks for the recommendation. There aren't enough good Dark Souls comics out there aside from the official ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The early b&w art has a kind of grimy 90s edge to it that complemented the kind of directionless frustration the main character felt. Everything becoming softer and more colorful changes the tone of the comic. Also it made the artist's frequent goofy art gaffes more obvious (especially when she fucks up eyes).

If the color shift were more meaningful in a Clerks or Pleasantville kind of way, it wouldn't be as bad. Show a change in Allison's perspective as it has happened and she has found a cause to rally behind. I actually miss the old style, it represents a time when the comic was good enough to like in spite any flaws, and not as pretentious as it has become.

• Locked thread