Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, in Questionable Content, the Sven plot has returned so that Sven can apologize for ???.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have just realized that "Prague Race" is a pun. It's very distressing!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

But that's not how it's pronounced...

It is down here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And Erfworld has lost its artist again.

Man, I really like Erfworld, but at this point I think it would be less of an interruption for the writer to just go to art school himself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Because it has consistently strong character writing?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

majormonotone posted:

I finally deleted QC from my bookmarks the other day after reading it for almost eight years. I just couldn't loving take it anymore

At least the Sven plot is over, and it wasn't too bad as long as you pretend that Sven commited some kind of actual wrong for this mutual apology to be about.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think they're thinking about van Rijn's notes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ultimately I think the thing that's really unbelievable about Demon is that Jimmy isn't easily trackable by the endless string of random suicides he leaves in his wake.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing about King Radical is that he's basically Cthulhu. He is not a moral agent as we understand the idea, and when he rises he seeks to remake the world according to his own occult notions of How Things Should Be.

It's just that instead of "fish-people" and "impossible geometries," his aesthetic consists of "things that twelve-year-old boys think are really cool".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fritz posted:

Not sure I'm following.

"Why did she decide to kill off the entire cast and make the moeblob the only surviving character?" is probably what was meant.

And the answer was probably "I guess writing about a girl carrying on as magical girl after her whole team gets unceremoniously one-shotted was the plan all along."

...I have to say, I do feel badly for the team, since I can't exactly say that they did anything wrong, unless random powers like gravity control are a known thing, in which case the fault is probably with the person who decided that five-girl squads with no supervision was the right way to patrol a town.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I like QC but I managed to be offended by the arc that was all about Dora forgiving her brother his wrongs, even though he'd never actually been seen wronging her or mentioned as wronging her in the entire comic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Marten's super-sweet romance with Claire is a bit pandering, but really trans people are born two drinks under par as far as being pandered to goes, so I'm pretty cool with it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Erfworld is really good, though.

Honestly, Megatokyo is also pretty good; it just updates so rarely it's hard to remember it still exists. It's kind of like Dresden Codak except that its continued existence as a business elicits emotions like "pity" and "confusion" instead of "rage" and "irritation."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not even reading Dominic Deegan as a teenager embarrasses me as much as reading Megatokyo.

I'm not really sure how that site works, he essentially never updates.

I have to wonder if he went back to having another job.

(Although the really embarrassing bit is the cast page, the nonexistence of which is a "joke", which apparently means it's okay that this important tool for helping people jump into your comic has been a WIP for...

...good lord, has it really been since 2007? That is even longer than I thought.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Erfworld was really good, before their artist bailed and they proceeded to start (and not finish) multiple different text-only prequel stories. Last I checked they were still doing this.

They started doing updates again, and then the third artist bailed and the writer wound up bringing back the second artist back as penciller and bringing back a fourth artist as inker and colorist, which actually looks pretty good and they've been updating pretty regularly twice a week.

They're still swapping back and forth between comic updates and illustrated text updates, and I have no idea how they plan to make that work in book form.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

erfworld's low point is that it's a dramatic narrative built on monkey cheese epic meme references and the same 'haha what if games were real and their rules were physics, wouldn't that be wacky' premise that has already been flogged to death for literally every actual game that exists, and wasn't funny the first time

It's really more like "wouldn't that be terrible?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Spoilers, possibly, for the sake of my browser history/sanity?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's originally a twitter thing, which honestly seems like a better format for wolfpupy's form of humor anyways.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, in Not Drunk Enough, the comic's incredibly expressive and colorful art takes a turn for the worse as Stone attempts to convey a teenager.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It seems more like "what if Ami Mizuno were the main character".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fritz posted:

I think it's reasonable for a character to be depressed and upset when three of her friends have just died.

They didn't just die, they were smashed to death in front of her, and she hung out with her bodies for an unknown period of time while fighting a losing battle to keep her blood on the inside.

That kind of goes outside the depression zone and into trauma land.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile on Octopus Pie, we get the offhand but important reveal that Marek thought Hanna working with Will was a bad idea.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm basically in constant awe of how good Octopus Pie is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

In Poppy news, Kit's stepmother is approaching Critical Punchability levels. God drat.

She's amazingly unpleasant for someone who doesn't seem to be actually doing anything wrong.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tollymain posted:

idk if her conduct in the last page counts as not actually doing anything wrong

Well, she's being an rear end, but she's trying to get a cure for her husbands instead of just stealing his authority like the standard evil stepmother, and she hasn't murdered anybody who didn't try to murder her first.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, wait, those are two different women? I assumed it was the same woman changed into a more discreet outfit for a quiet dinner.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would be nice if Homestuck all got collected into a nice ZIP file with all the games updated and the videos made over into HTML5 for modern browsers. I don't know how much easier that would make it to read.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tollymain posted:

the most recent octopus pie update bothers me a lot more than it should :v:

I really wasn't expecting body horror, especially not next to some really beautiful colors.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's really quite impressive how unnerving Lackadaisy manages to be for a cute comic about moonshine cats.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I remember when Tracy was posting her first sketches of the series (I was still in high school then, Jesus Christ) and it was still this silly, cartoony little thing about moonshinin' cats with guns and Rocky's antics were straight comedy relief.

Now it's a look at the nastier side of Prohibition-era bootlegging affairs focusing on a small cast of broken, directionless people trying to hold on to the few scraps of influence they have in a business they've long since lost, even as it kills them a little more every day. With cats.

And it's pretty much a given at this point that some and even most of this lovable cast of oddballs are going to get killed, and it's only a matter of who.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This is a lot of fuss over one exagerrated romantic comedy shenanigan.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

There's really no call to go comparing anybody to Mary Worth.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Everett True?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tollymain posted:

anybody in here read o human star?

it updated yesterday with a pretty intense page

...yowza.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Once again we arrive in the land of "this probably didn't need an excuse until you decided to make an excuse for it and that excuse was a really bad one."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of demon-based comics, Ava's Demon finally updated with a big video.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Archenteron posted:

:staredog:

Apparently earlier when Ava said a big performance was about to happen, she actually meant she was going to cover Night on Bald Mountain

At first I was saying "stop faffing about and attack" but it looks like she outclassed her opponent all along and was just doing the full Knights of the Round animation as an artistic statement.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Most people who don't post on SA don't bother to distinguish between the sub-boards that are basically 4chan and the ones that have some standards.

This gets really funny when people from sub-boards that have lots of standards get huffy because people associate them with GBS or whatever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

woah steffi

e: http://www.kiwiblitz.com/comic/page-484

Is that the EMP sword, or am I confusing Kiwi Blitz with something different in which there was an EMP sword? I mean, if it's an EMP sword, then Steffi's action makes sorta sense, if she manages to hit it'll disable Gear's cyborgy bits.

It's something along those lines, yeah.

Honestly, given that Gear is a known aggressive crazy person with a gun arm, rushing her at close quarters with a melee weapon is probably the least bad option when she suddenly appears in your garage.

Man, Cho is going to be in so much trouble (not that she's really the kind of cop who can deal effectively with Gear either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Has anyone actually died in Kiwi Blitz yet? Also yeah, I can see this situation going horribly awry for Steffi very quickly. Gear probably is the one character in the comic who would just straight up kill someone on screen. Plus Jones has kind of been Ramsay Bolton-levels of great at playing people off one another and tooling the good guys in a way that doesn't look like it's changing any time soon.

Honestly I feel like Jones is a good example of a villain who's dangerous because she isn't really all that smart and I hope she doesn't degenerate into genuine competence.

• Locked thread